chapter 21

Love & Valor

 

3 months later

“urgh…” Seolhyun grunts in pain as she tries to move her hand against the cuff. It is too tight it pains her wrists. She can feel sweats drop from her face. Being in a dark small room for god know how long really give her huge amount of torture to her. The cuffs are grabbing her wrists tightly, too tight it leaves blister on her wrists as she tried to move. And it is attached to a ball and chain preventing her from attempting to escapes, not that she can anyway. She is too tired, drained of energy from all the torture she had. She didn’t know exactly how long had she been there. But from the small window, or one might say a small pathetic hole, she could only guess how long. Maybe four days. For four long days, she had endured the tortures. No one can help her, no one came. She knew she can die here and nobody would know about it. She can only cry herself out as the pain is too much, too much than she can even endured. She had been kicked, smacked by a baseball bat, and even worst, the one she hated the most, to be electrocuted. They put her on a chair, asked her questions. And when she can’t answer them, they electrocuted her. She can still feel the painful jolt in her body as she felt the painful electrical current flow through her body. She begs for them to stop, but they ignored her. They just smirked at her mercilessly while she screamed herself out to endure the painful torture. She swears she can smell herself being cooked by the electric current.

 

Seolhyun didn’t really recall what exactly happen. All she remembers was, they were given a day off, after the long three months training, without proper rest. They just finished Hell Week, the week they had to endure one of the worst part of the training. The trainer really tortures them mentally, and physically. For the whole week, they’ve been running nonstop, carrying huge wooden log on their shoulder, enter a pool of muds and lie there for god know how long. The instructors really torture them to the limits, intentionally to test their strength, to test their endurance. They’ve kicked at, scolded at and yelled at. Sometime even for no reason at all. The instructors want to push them, so the weak one will fail. They only want the best. They didn’t get any sleep or enough food. For seolhyun, she can take the physical torture, but the psychological is different story though. She hated it so much to be degraded, to be insulted. But she has no choice, she has endured it. If not, she will fail. To make things even worst, at night they were told to stand still beside their own bed, but they cannot sleep on it. They can only stare at the empty clean bed that are inviting their tired and drained body to lie on it, to rest or sleep on it. But they can’t. They have to hold their sleepy eyes open and weaken body stand still, to fight their desire to sleep. Because if they do, they will be kick out of the program. It is so hard for them to take it, well who can take it anyway, after the long restless days and night, to see a peaceful clean bed but unable to sleep on it sure will test one patients to the limit, who would able to take it, of course no one. But that’s what the instructor want though, to see how strong their mind and willingness are. Seolhyun swear, those bed can really be the death of her. Well, it was sure didn’t called as Hell weak without reasons though. By the time the training reach three month, only seven of them survive. From thirty-five, to only the lucky seven. Luckily, Seolhyun and hyoyeon made it so far, along with the other five male recruits. After the long three month enduring such torture, the instructors decide to reward them. The recruits left are finally given a day off. To take a break, for them to rest, to refresh their body. And for the break to come after the Hell week, it was sure a hell of a reward for all of them. Seolhyun sure to use it as best as she could. They were given permission to leave the camp for one day. So that’s what Seolhyun and Hyoyeon did. They decide to get some air, away from the camp. They wanted to find some piece. That day, they took the bus to the nearest town. First stop, a franchise restaurant. After months of y meals, they finally get themselves a proper delicious food. They devour the foods in no time. Seolhyun swear, she can feel a single tears drop from her eyes as she places the tasteful hamburger into . The smell of the food is like heaven. As they were about to leave the table, after finished with their meal, two cute guys approach them. They introduce themselves to the two beautiful ladies and ask them for a group date. Seolhyun was fine with the idea though. She wanted to enjoy herself, blow some self-esteem, at least for one day. At first Hyoyeon seems reluctant, but after the persuade by Seolhyun, she agreed to come a long “look at it this way, we have only have one day off. So why don’t we just enjoy ourselves before we go back to that hell hole” those are the words she used to convince Hyoyeon. So they go on following the cute guys, they went for shopping at day, and club at night. They enjoy themselves on the dance floor. All the guys there take turn, to dance with the angelic ladies. After three months of degraded, insulted, to at least receive such attention and treated like princess by guys there really what they needed, at least for the moments though. So they enjoy their time, having fun. Little that they know, the two guys from earlier sneak something into their drinks. Seolhyun didn’t really quite remember what happen next. All she remembered was her head become dizzy before her eyes become blurry. All she remembered was to wake up in a tiny dark room, with handcuffs around her wrists, preventing her from moving. Then she remembers few guys come into the dark room. They asked her series of question, showing her some pictures and ask her about it. One of the picture is belong to her Captain, Kanggary. They ask her about him. Who is he, what did he do or what she knows about him. But Seolhyun didn’t give them the answer they’re looking for though. She knows she should never spill the secrets. She acts like an innocent girl, like she knows nothing. And for that, they torture her. They torture for the long four days.

 

As Seolhyun cry herself out in the small pathetic room, due to pain and fear, the door suddenly burts opened. Seolhyun jolt in fear as she saw three guys enter the room. She begins to sob harder as she knows what’s gonna happen next. They’re gonna torture her again. Seolhyun saw one of them is carrying a pale full of water. Without even saying a word, the guy splashes the water to her face. Unfortunately for her, it wasn’t exactly water, by the stinky smell of it, Seolhyun know it was urine, a ing stinking urine. “yah!!!” seolhyun yelled at them trying to protest in her anger, for humiliating and degrading her like that. But, a kick on the face is the only thing she received by the men. Seolhyun body’s flop to ground as the hard kick land on her face. She grunts in pain while still sobbing hard. “are you ready to talk now?” one of the men ask her. Seolhyun didn’t answer him. She just cried to herself. Annoyed with the waiting, the man pulls Seolhyun hair while shoving a picture to her face. It’s gary’s picture again. “tell me who is he? Where I can find him?!!”  the man asks her in anger. Clearly he is getting impatient. Seolhyun shook her head weakly “I don’t know. I haven’t see him in my life.” She answers the man in between her sobs. “you think we’re stupid. You think we don’t know you’re working for NIS?” Seolhyun gulps in fear. Of course she knows she haven’t work for the NIS yet. She still hasn’t pass her training yet. But these guys don’t know that. “I swear…I don’t know what you’re talking about. I’m just a teenager who just finish high school, waiting offers to go to college…please let me go…” Seolhyun beg in her fear. She feels trapped. She feels suffocated. She knows no one will come for her. The men squat himself, letting his eyes to be on the same level as the crying girl. He glared at her. “you ing listen to me now. I just killed you friend, for giving me the same answer…do you want me to kill you too?!!!” the men ask the scared girl without mercy. Seolhyun eyes open wide upon hearing that. “Hyoyeon?” she did not believe her friend is dead. “yes, that is dead. So either you tell me about the guy in the picture, or I ing kill you now” Seolhyun feels hopeless, but she knows spilling the secret is not an option, even if it means they will kill her. Besides, they probably kill her anyway, even if she told them what they want to hear. Seolhyun take a deep breath, probably her last breath, knowing for facts her answer will be the death of her. At least she knows she die protecting her country. “I really don’t know what you’re talking about. I don’t know him”. Hearing her answer, the man furious. He pulls out his gun, and unlocked the safety pointing it straight to Seolhyun face. Seolhyun close her eyes shut, tightly, ready to meet her maker. Her tears still flowing hard, crying hard, fear of the death. She can feel her body shiver in fear. She’s about to die. “Bang!!!” Seolhyun jolt in fear as she hears the loud gunshot. She feels weird, is she dead. She tries to open her eyes slowly. To her shock, the dark room now turn bright. A transparent glass appears on the wall. She can see Gary, yonghwa and some of the other instructors look at her through the glass wall, smiling at her. “congratulation Seolhyun. You pass this test” the man from earlier, the one who supposed to shot her congratulate her. Seolhyun feels confuse “all of this was a test?” Seolhyun asks in her daze state. The man nod at her “yup…that was the last stage of your selection process…congratulation”. “what about Hyoyeon then?” Seolhyun had to ask, still worry about her friend.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Seoul

Y restaurant

 

Jongkook and jihyo are sitting opposite to each other, enjoying their dinner together. The just got off from work. Tired and hungry after the long working hour. Jongkook decide to make a stop while on the way sending jihyo home. They stop at a fancy restaurant, to enjoy their dinner. For this past month, jongkook and jihyo has been spending so much time together. At first, jongkook was just looking after her. Knowing that jihyo miss her boyfriend badly, jongkook decide to make himself helpful to her, to be there for her, to distract her mind from keep thinking about Gary. He’s worried for her. He doesn’t want her to feel sad by herself, and cry herself alone. But then, he can’t help himself from enjoying the time he spends with her. Soon, his feeling for her begin to resurface. He can’t help himself to fall for her again. He loves to spend time with her, with her by his side. So that month, for almost every day, he will come to pick jihyo for work, send her home after that. He still didn’t dare to tell her his real feeling for her though, afraid that if it is not an appropriate time, afraid if the woman that he loves is still waiting for her boyfriend to come back. But he sure hope he can tell her that though. Tell her that he loves her, that he can make her happy. Besides, her own boyfriend entrusted him to take care of her, to make her happy. That’s why he’s determine this time. He can’t let her go anymore. He has to make her his.  While they’re enjoying their food, jongkook speak up “uhm jihyo-ah…” “yes oppa?” jihyo ask him as she lift her head, shifting her attention to him. “actually…my mother will be in town this weekend. You remember her right? You guys meet when we’re in college”. “ah…of course I remember oppa. how is she doing now?” jihyo ask in beam, excited to hear about his mother. She sure remember jongkook’s mother. She remembers how nice his mother was toward her. Jongkook smile at her respond, feeling happy to her reply. “well…she’s doing fine…but she keeps on asking about you though…” “about me?” jihyo ask in signature mong face. “yeah. She keeps on saying she misses you…so I would like to ask if you’re free this weekend. Can I bring you to meet her?” “neh?” jihyo got shock upon the request. She is actually okay to meet his mother, but she wonders if it is appropriate, since she is only his friend, not his girlfriend. “is it okay oppa? I mean, we’re just friend. Wouldn’t it better if you bring your girlfriend instead” jihyo reply to him hesitantly. “yah!! Did you forget, I don’t have a girlfriend. You’re the closest thing to be my girlfriend” jongkook reply to her with sarcastic tone, with slight intention to hinting on her, about his real intention. Jihyo shock upon hearing him “oppa…” jihyo didn’t know what to say. She knoe they are close, really close. But she see him as a friend, a friend she can rely on to. “aniya jihyo-ah. don’t misunderstand. What I mean to say is, you’re the closest girl I know. I don’t know anyone else. And about my mother, don’t think about it too much. It is just friendly meet. It’s okay if you’re not free though” jihyo can see a disappointment on his jongkook’s face. She feels guilty at him. She reaches for his hand, to comfort him “I didn’t mean it like that oppa. Of course I’m free. I’ll come to meet you mother then” jihyo didn’t want to hurt his feeling. She wants repay him back, for taking such good care of her while getting through her difficult and complicated love life. “jinja?” jongkook excited to hear that. He knows for jihyo, it is just like family meeting, but for him, it’s like bringing his girlfriend for his mother blessing.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Cheorwon military base

Gary’s quarters

 

That night, as usual, like any other night, Gary drowned himself with the alcohol. It’s been three months, but he still feels pain in his heart. It’s like his having a cancer, the love he has for jihyo slowly eating himself, killing his sole. He lost the purpose of life, demotivated to continue his life. As he enjoys the taste of the cold beer by himself, a knock come at the door. He sighs in frustration, feeling annoyed to be disturb at this time. Still, he calls the person to come in “come in”. The door opened as soon as he gives the permission for the person to enter. He saw Seolhyun and yonghwa come into his place. “what is it lieutenant?” gary asks at yonghwa as he glances toward Seolhyun, wondering what’s she’s doing coming to his place. “I’m sorry but sir. This recruit wish to speak to you” “what is it?” gary asks Seolhyun as he hear the reason given by yonghwa. “I’m sorry to disturb you, but I want to ask, why did you failed Hyoyeon?”. “because she failed the interrogation test” gary answer her coldly, like he didn’t feel bad or remorse for failing the candidates. And that answer from him really piss Seolhyun off. She’s angry to know her dearest friend had been kicked out by the program after she spills a stupid secret, when she cannot endure the torture anymore. “is that all you care about? We have been running nonstop, scolded by you nonstop. You treat us like a slaves. ani, even more pathetic than slaves. And one mistake you kick her out. You know how hard she tried.  You know how she willing to sacrifice for her country!!!” Seolhyun yelled out at gary, cannot held her emotion anymore. She has been patient for too long. She endured everything they had thrown to her. But to know her friend being kicked out like that, for such small reason; by just mentioning the name of the instructor. And even actually after enduring such torture. She at least thought they will give Hyoyeon another chance, since how hard she had been trying. But to her disappointment, they are really heartless. “I can’t believe you’re this heartless!!!” Seolhyun keep on yelling at Gary. “mind your word kimseolhyun. Captain gary is your superior!!” yonghwa chip in, stopping Seolhyun, to remind her of her place. Gary just rise his hand to yonghwa, to let Seolhyun be. After listening her rant, gary begin to speak. “what if next time, it is just not a name? what if next time those secret are about this country defence system?” Seolhyun lost of words. She knows what gary said is true. Right now is only a training. But what happen when the real thing happens. “what do you know about protecting your country?” gary suddenly asked Seolhyun. “what?” Seolhyun asks in confused. She didn’t get what gary trying to say. After the short pause, gary continue “you guys talk about defending the country, sacrificing yourself, like it is some kind of glory when you clearly know nothing about it. Do you know what I’ve been through? Do you know what lieutenant yonghwa here have been through?” Seolhyun silent herself, unable to answer her superior. “Trust me, you don’t know anything. Every NIS member in this camp, in this country passed the interrogation test. What make you thing Hyoyeon is so special she can have excuse for that? I’m protecting her by kicking her out. Because she won’t last long when being in the field. All the things that you have to endure here is nothing compared to what’s gonna happen in real mission. You talk about losing your friend when you clearly never experience one. What will you do when you see your friend lying lifeless on the ground? Trust me there’s nothing you can do except to cry for their life, to beg to God that they can make it. You may think what we did is wrong, that we’re cruel. Maybe you’re right. But I want you to think this, can she even survive being in the field later?” Seolhyun lost of word upon listening to her superior. She knows what he said was true. If they can’t survive hear, how can they survive being in the field, where the real deal happens. Seeing that the girl didn’t speak up, gary continue to speak “listen here Seolhyun. You, minhoo and siwoon are the only three that survive the selection. But it’s up to you either you want to continue or not. If you don’t come for the meeting tomorrow, I take it as you withdrawn yourself from the programme. Don’t worry, you will be not look down upon as it is your choice. I cannot force you to sacrifice your life for this job, because your life will never be the same after you decide to join us. Now go to your room, get some rest and think hard about what you’re gonna do. Once you make the decision, there is no turning back” gary nods his head toward yonghwa as he finish his sentence, gesturing yonghwa to bring Seolhyun to her barrack.

 

Next day

 

Gary, yonghwa and leejoon are sitting in the meeting room. They’re waiting for the recruits that passed to come, if they decide to show up. They wait there patiently, knowing the decision the young recruit about to make are a big one, the one that will surely change their life forever. After minutes of waiting, the door opened. Two men enter the room, Siwoon and minhoo. Both of them take a seat in front of their instructor. They all keep on waiting, to see if Seolhyun gonna come. Too bad there is no sign of that she will. After a while of waiting, gary glances at his watch. Feeling that she will never come, he begins to stand up ready to speak up addressing the recruits. “good morning…” the suddenly opened cut gary’s sentence. They all look at the door, to see Seolhyun enter the room “I’m sorry for being late”. All them smile at her, to know she already made her decision.  After she take a seat beside minhoo, gary begin to speak “good morning everyone. Congratulation. You already pass the selection process. From this moment on, you are no longer a recruits, you are now NIS agents and we are no longer your instructor but your superior in this team. We will be you mentor, to guide you and teach you so that you can survive in field…

 

 

To be continue…

 

 

 

 

Hi guys…wow I didn’t expect so many didn’t like Seolhyun…I’m sorry though… I don’t really watch to kpop or Korean movie or drama or whatever…I only watch running man…so I didn’t know much of the names of the Korean actress or singer…I only know them through running man…but I hope you guys can understand though…it is just a name…besides, don’t worry…this story is tagged with Mondaycouple, gary and jihyo…so of course the main couple in this story will be them though…but it will be no fun without obstacle right…

 

And I’m sorry also if this chapter focus more on seolhyun…I just want to include how hard the selection process is…in a way I want to portray gary characters though…because he also had gone through that selection process when he joined the NIS…about the reunion…I hope you guys can be patient though…just bear with me…it won’t be long before they meet again…so till the next chapter then…