chapter 17

Love & Valor

10:00 am

 

Mongae apartment

 

The bright golden sunlight shine through the window, brighten the entire apartment. It is actually a beautiful morning, with bright sunlight and clear blue sky outside of the apartment. But inside, a woman with broken heart is lying lifeless on the floor, sleeping herself after tired of crying herself out last night. Feeling the touch of the bright sunlight on her face, jihyo begin to stir. She opens her eyes heavily. She feels her head heavy as she tries to wake up. Feeling loss of where she is. Jihyo bring her body up from the floor and seat her body upright as she scans her surroundings. She relies she is in the living room, jihyo feels confuse “how do I get here?” jihyo mumble to herself as she scans the living room. She didn’t exactly remember what happen last night. Yesterday memory was too vague. “oppa!!??” jihyo call gary out, desperately. Silent. There is no respond from him. Hearing nothing, jihyo get up from the floor and walk to their bedroom to look for her boyfriend. Unfortunately, he was not there too. Of course he is not there. How could he, after been chased out by her yesterday. As she reaches the bedroom door, she notices the black box she found in the store yesterday, sitting on the bed fully opened. The box is empty now, not like yesterday where it contains an object that really scare her, really broke her heart. Something she would never imagine her innocent boyfriend would have. Well at least she thought he is innocent. Jihyo eyes begin to get watery as she looks at the box from the door. She lands her back against the door frame and unconsciously, she lands herself on the floor while her back still resting against the door frame. She let go a heavy sigh while her eyes are on the edge of tearing “I thought it was just a bad dream…did he really left?”.  Jihyo feels pain on her chest as she recalls what happen yesterday. She remembers her heart broken into pieces by gary. Who would have guest, the man she love so much, the man she trust in the whole world had been lying to her all this time. She doesn’t know how to feel. Part of her feel angry at gary, for lying to her. But some part of him really miss him. She really loves him. And yet she felt betrayed by him, to have him lying to her like she was some kind of idiot. She feels so stupid, to fall in love with someone she didn’t even know. She remembers how she cry herself out after gary left. She cried so hard she fell asleep on the floor of the living room without she even realized it. Jihyo shut her eyes and inhale a deep breath to calm her broken heart. Tears fall from her beautiful eyes as she do so.

Ring…ring…

As jihyo was too deep with her thought, her phone rang. Jihyo sigh her frustration out upon hearing the ring tone. She pushes herself against the door frame to get up and walk further into the bedroom to pick her phone which is buzzing and ringing on the bedside table. She looks at the caller ID as she answers the phone. “oh kwangsoo-ah. what’s wrong?” jihyo talk lazily through the phone. She is not in the mood to talk to anyone right now. “noona. Where are you now? Jongkook hyung and jaesuk hyung are waiting for your report noona” jihyo hear kwangsoo loud voice though the phone, rushing her to come to the office as soon as possible. Just then she remembers, she had to go to the office today, to submit her the report she had spends almost whole week to work on. “mianhe kwangsoo-ah…I over slept. I’ll go there as soon as I can. Cinca mianhe kwangsoo-ah”. Jihyo said apologetically to kwangsoo before she hung up and rush herself into the bathroom, to prepared herself to go to work. She rushes herself to get ready until she notices her swollen eyes in the bathroom mirror. It is too swollen and too red “it must be from all of the crying last night”. Jihyo feels the pain on her chest again as she notices the swollen eyes. She suddenly remembers about gary. The broken feeling resurfaces again “why oppa…why you do this to me…i really love you oppa” jihyo mumble in her sobs as she cry herself out in the bathroom. The feeling is too painful for her. she can’t take it.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

L Comm

 

Ding!!...

The elevator door opens as it reaches the top floor. Gary walk himself out of the elevator and head himself straight to his superior office. He has intense gaze in his eye, full of anger. He walks fast passing Jessica, ignoring her who is sitting at her desk in the hallway. Jessica call to gary as she saw the man walk pass her desk without greeting her nor look at her. She knows by the look in his eyes, gary is angry with her superior. “Gary-shi…I’m sorry but sukjin-shi is busy right now. You can’t see him unless you have an appointment”. Gary glared at Jessica, making her loss of word. She feels the sudden fear upon receiving the deadly glare from him. She knows very well what Gary capable of and what he can do to her without breaking any sweats. Gary ignore her words earlier and walks away leaving Jessica who try to get up from her chair to chase him, to stop him. Gary walks fast while Jessica keep on tailing him. Gary then walks further into the office just to meet two bodyguard standing at the door of sukjin’s office. They are guarding the door tightly. Gary walks fast towards them, increasing his pace, while Jessica still behind her calling him to stop. Seeing that gary is walking them fast toward them, one of the bodyguard raise his hand gesturing gary to stop. “I’m sorry sir…ugh…” before he can finish his sentence, gary knuckle land on his throat. The huge man immediately falls to the ground, coughing himself out to withstand the painful chocking. The other bodyguard get shock upon seeing his friend collapse, immediately reaches for his gun. But before he can’t even begin to react, he also share the same fate when gary’s hand move fast and swiftly pulling his body and land an elbow to his throat. He too falls on the ground. Both of the guard groan in pain while still on the floor. Jessica got shock upon what she just saw. It happens in blink of an eyes, too fast. She immediately reaches for her gun from her back to stop gary, well actually she wants to defend herself more rather than stopping him. She knows she don’t even stand a chance against him “don’t move sir!!…don’t move or I’ll shoot…” Jessica said warning Gary while she herself in fear. She gulps her own saliva while her hand trembles holding the gun. “put those away Jessica” gary said referring to her gun. Jessica take a step back, distance herself from gary, protecting herself from him. “you know I can take you down too in a second right…just put the gun away… I don’t want to hurt you…I just want to meet director. That’s all”. Jessica gulp in fear. She is still pointing her gun toward gary. The two guard are still on the ground, full of pain. They are not going to get up anytime soon. Jessica knows she is all alone now and there is no way she can stop gary by herself. “I’m sorry sir…but our order is to keep you away” Jessica said while trembling. She knows she is about to sign up for her death. Just before anything bad happen…

“what’s with all the noise?”

Sukjin voice can be heard as the door of his office opened from inside. Sukjin eyes turn wide upon seeing the shocking view. His two bodyguard are lying in pain on the floor while his secretary is pointing a gun toward one of his best agent. He can see gary is really calm. No tinge of fear present in his eyes. His secretary is the one who is trembling in fear even if she is the one who is holding the gun. Seeing that gary is dead serious, Sukjin know there is no way to stop him now. So he decides to give in to him. He calls gary to enter his room. “are you finish playing gary-ah. do you want to come inside now?”. Gary just glare at sukjin. Clearly he is not in the mood for a joke. But before he steps inside into sukjin’s office. He went to check on the two bodyguard he just hit few minutes ago. “are you guys okay? i’m sorry” the two man nod their head, telling gary they are fine. “it’s okay sir. We understand” they try to answer gary in between their heavy breath while they themselves trying to withstand the pain. Jessica put her gun away upon seeing gary is completely tame now. She let out a heavy sigh of relieve as she saw gary is calmer now. Gary then bid another apologize to the all of them and walk himself into sukjin’s office.

 

Inside the Sukjin office

Sukjin walk toward his desk and rest himself on the chair. He gestures for gary to have a seat in front of him. But gary didn’t move even for a bit. He just stands there quietly without uttering any word. He keeps his gaze sharp as he glares at sukjin. The looks in his eyes are so deadly now, like he wants to kill sukjin. His hands are forming a fist. That’s how much he is angry at sukjin. Sukjin know that. He knows the man in front of him is angry at him and he know very well why. He silent himself, waiting for gary to speak. “why do you do it hyung...why do you tell her?” gary speak up after a long silent. Gary continue again after a short pause “I was about to tell her myself. I just need a little more time…” “I know…That’s why I do it…that’s the only way to make her leaves you gary-ah” sukjin cut gary’s word before he can’t even finish his sentence. “what…you want us to break up?!!!” Gary look at sukjin confused. He doesn’t get it. He feels shock to know his superior want him and his girlfriend to be apart. Sukjin gives gary a long sigh before he continues to speak. “do you know why things are getting calmer this past week?” sukjin continue to ask gary. Gary just silent himself waiting for his superior to continue. He doesn’t have an answer. Somehow he feels what sukjin said is right. He knows very well someone trying to kill him. And yet he can relax himself with jihyo all this while, like nothing happen “it’s because I made a report saying that you die following the shooting incident. I’m initiating the extraction protocol for you Gary-ah. you will be moving out soon” gary eyes turn wide upon seeing that. He becomes angrier upon hearing that. He knows for fact sukjin want to get rid of him from Seoul. He felt betrayed by him. “you did what??!!!” he yells out his anger at sukjin “why did you do that? There’s no reason for me to leave”. Sukjin take a deep breath. He looks at gary who is still standing facing him. He is still glaring at him, full of anger. “because you know too much of our secret gary-ah, you know too much NIS secret, and this country secret. You held most of the information for each major defence system we ever have” “so what? This is bull. I’ve been keeping those secret for years. Why suddenly you doing this now? You don’t trust me anymore? You think I will spill all those secret away now? You think I will betray my country?” gary keep on questioning sukjin. He feels really dissatisfied for what he just heard. Gary trusted sukjin so much, and now he felt betrayed by him. “that’s not what I’m saying gary-ah. Of course I trust you. You’re one of my best agent, perhaps even the best. But thing changes now. You’re marked. And I know for sure they already know about jihyo too. Right now they might think you’re dead gary-ah, but how long do you think before they can figure it out. Your girlfriend doesn’t have any cover or secret identity to protect her. They will know you’re still alive if you keep hanging out with her. And they keep on hunting you down.” gary silent himself. He knows what sukjin said is true. But he still wants to protest. He isn’t willing to give up “you know whatever they do to me, I won’t spill those secret away. I’ll never talk. I’ll rather die protecting my country. You know I will defend them with my life” Sukjin sigh hearing him. Gary still don’t get it. “I know gary-ah. I know you will do everything you can to protect this country. And I trust you for that. but what about her?” sukjin question gary back. “what?” gary ask confused. He doesn’t get what sukjin trying to say. He looks at sukjin while waiting for him to continue “what will you do when they have a gun on her head or a knife on . What will you do? Would you rather sacrifice her life for all of this?” gary become speechless. He doesn’t know what else to say. A sudden realization struck him. He’s speechless. “they will do everything they can in order to get to you gary-ah. They will hurt her, torture her. They will even kill her just to get to you gary-ah. I can’t let a civilian life get tangled in between all this. That’s why I need to protect her. That’s why I’m doing this. That’s why I’m planning to extract you from here. To move you as far as possible from her.” gary heart drop upon hearing his superior’s plan. “I’m sorry gary-ah. I can’t afford to lose another one of my best agent anymore. I can’t afford to lose you like I lose Sunghoon. Don’t you remember what happen five years ago?” Sukjin look at gary deeply in the eyes as he mentions Sunghoon name to him. His voice is solemn upon mentioning the name of his old friend. Gary eyes turn wide upon hearing the name of his old mentor. The mentor that he looks up to, the one that thought him everything he know, who make him into everything he is now. It’s been a while ever since the last time he heard the mention of the name. “love is our weakness gary-ah. we can’t afford to have feeling like that in this field of work. It impairs our judgement. It can betray us and eventually destroy us. That’s how Sunghoon lost himself and I can’t bear to see another friend of mine go through the same path as him. That’s why I’m doing this.” Gary feels pain in his heart. He bends his head feeling hopeless. He don’t want to lose jihyo. He doesn’t want to give her up. He knows he can’t live without her. But he has to leave in order for her to be safe. It broke his heart to know he has to live his life without her anymore. With breaking voice, gary begin to speak up “when I’ll be leaving hyung?” “soon…I’ll send you to a training camp, away from here. You’ll be training new recruit and at the same time join your special forces team back. In the meantime, avoid any contact with her”. Gary raise his head looking at sukjin. In his begging voice, he speaks to sukjin “please hyung…let me see her at least one last time…I cannot just leave like that”. Sukjin shook his head disagree “I’m sorry gary…but it’s best if you just leave. She will just think you move on” gary felt his heart ripped into pieces upon hearing the order. His breath become heavier upon hearing that. He wanted to protest, but no words coming out from his mouth anymore. He feels his entire body weak, feeling hopeless.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

RM Lawfirm

 

Jihyo rush herself into the elevator, hurrying herself to get in before the elevator door closed. She exhales a sign of relieve upon being able to catch on the elevator just in time. She press the button to her floor and wait for the elevator to move. “you’re late” I sudden voice shock her. She recognized the person immediately. “jongkook oppa. sorry I’m late” jihyo said weakly. Jongkook look at the woman in front of him. She is wearing a pair of sunglasses on her eyes. And her face looks solemn. Jongkook feels something is off. “are you okay jihyo-ah. are you not feeling well?” jongkook ask her full of concern. He’s feels worry upon seeing her like that. Jihyo give him a weak smile, to assure him she is fine “I’m okay oppa. I just feel tired. That’s why I overslept”. Jongkook know she was lying. He know her very well to know she lying to him. “what really happen jihyo-ah? is everything okay between you and gary?” jongkook took a guess. Jihyo’s heart drop upon hearing his name. The weak smile she try to show earlier disappear. Jihyo just silent herself upon hearing the name of her beloved gary. She feels pain in her chest. She felt betrayed by the man she love the most. Her eyes become teary, but lucky for her, she has her black sunglasses to protect her eyes from being seen by jongkook. Seeing that jihyo didn’t respond to his question, jongkook bring his hand slowly toward jihyo’s face. Slowly and carefully, he remove the sunglasses that has been covering jihyo’s eyes this whole time. He’s shock upon seeing her swollen eyes. He know jihyo has been crying herself out. He begins to wonder what really happen that make her like this. “what happen jihyo-ah. is this about gary?” jongkook ask jihyo in worried and concern voice. Unable to hold her emotion anymore, jihyo broke down into tears. She is sobbing hard. She brings herself to hug jongkook. She need someone to comfort her, to ease her broken heart “oppa. it’s all a lie. Everything was a lie” jihyo mumble in between her sobs. Jongkook feels shock hearing the words coming out from jihyo’s mouth. He begins to wonder what exactly happen between her and gary. He didn’t say any word. He just rubs her back slowly, trying to comfort her. “it’s okay jihyo-ah. I’m here. You know I’m always here for you” Jihyo didn’t reply him. She just cry herself out in jongkook embraces.

 

Few moments later,

 

Inside jihyo’s office

“that bastards. How dare he did this to you” Haha yell out his dissatisfaction upon hearing the story. He feels angry at gary, for lying to his little sister all this while. Kwangsoo and jongkook are also in the room too. All the three man got shock upon listening to jihyo’s story. The would never imagine that Gary who always been funny, playful and sometime idiotic is actually a spy. More than that, they feels angry at him for lying to jihyo all this while. Well not just to jihyo, to them too. Gary has been lying to every single of them. They feel so tupid to believe him. They felt betrayed by him. They keep on cursing gary out of anger. Jihyo just silent herself as they bad mouth Gary. She don’t like it when they talk bad about Gary. She felt painful stab on her chest upon hearing them, but she didn’t stop them. She didn’t know how to react herself anymore. So he just keeps quiet on her chair. “that bastard should be thought a lesson. And I’m gonna give him one” Haha said as he shows of his fist. Kwangsoo also agree. He feels like wanting to punch gary in the face. He is really mad at gary for hurting jihyo. “you guys, stop it” jongkook said as he put some senses into his two doengseng. “come hyung. You know how to wrestle. Let’s teach him some lesson” kwangsoo said excitedly. He is really out of control now, too mad at gary. “you guys think we can take him? if what jihyo said is true, if gary really is some kind of government spy, there will be high chance we are the one might get beaten up instead” the duo pauses themselves upon hearing jongkook. They know what jongkook said is true. Seeing that they are calm now, jongkook continue to speak “besides I don’t think beating him is what jihyo wants right now. Right jihyo?”. All of them then shift their attention back to jihyo “what do you want to do now noona? Do you us to beat him?”. jihyo just shook her head. She let out a heavy sigh, feeling hopeless “I don’t know. I don’t want you guys to hurt him” she mumbles to herself slowly but loud enough for the three man to hear. “do you want to meet him; we can try to arrange a meeting with him if you want too? We will by your side the whole time” Haha speak up suggesting to jihyo. “No oppa. I don’t want to meet him. I don’t want to see him anymore. I want to forget about him”

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

9:00 pm

 

Gil’s apartment

 

Gary and Gil are seating on the sofa in the living room. They are drowning themselves with a bottle of scotch. Gary want to forget the painful feeling he has about jihyo while Gil drink himself too, accompanying Gary. He also drinks for the farewell he gonna have with Gary. It going painful for him too, to loss his best friend. But there is nothing he can do. He must follow the order. Sukjin told him to keep an eye on Gary, to prevent Gary to make any contact with jihyo. He hated the order so much but he has to do it. “do you know about this Gil? Do you know about sukjin’s plan when you ask me about jihyo at the hospital?” Gary ask gil in a drunk voice. “I’m sorry Gary-ah. I was order to not to tell you” Gil too answer Gary in a drunk voice. Both of them are totally hammered by the alcohol now. Gary smirk in his sadness. “it’s okay. I was not supposed to fall in love her anyway. How can I be so stupid to think that I can have a life outside of these spy world” Gary mumble to himself in his drunken state.

 

 After a long drink, Gil excuse himself into the bathroom. He stumbles himself along the way to the bathroom, feeling too drunk. Few minutes later he gets out of the bathroom to join gary again. As he is about to walk himself to living room, a sudden hard smack hit him on the nape of his neck. He fall to the ground hard and immediately lost his consciousness. “I’m sorry Gil. I have to do this. You can scold me later when you wake up” Gary said to Gil unconscious body after hitting his friend with the of his gun. He’s pretending to be drunk all this while, to distract Gil to let his guard down. Gary rush himself out of the apartment leaving Gil’s body lying on the floor fully unconscious.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

11:00 pm

 

Jongkook’s apartment

 

Jongkook open the front door and walks himself into the apartment after a very long tiring day. The news about gary and jihyo sure take the tools out of him. It’s too much information for him to process. He would never have guessed that Gary is actually a government spy. It seems too impossible, too absurd. Jongkook let go a heavy sigh as he took off his shoes and place it properly on the rack. Leaving alone sure teach him to place things up tidily, keep his house clean. Jongkook then walk himself into the living room. He walks lazily to reach for the light switch, too switch on the light. But as he about to press the switch on, he froze his movement, in shock. He saw a person black silhouette against the window. His eyes turn wide upon seeing the scary shadow. “don’t move or I put a bullet in between your eyes” jongkook hear the person speak up to him warning him not to move. He see the shadow point a gun toward him. Jongkook gulp his saliva upon seeing the weapon pointed to him …

 

To be continue…

 

 

 

Hi guys…hope you guys enjoy this chapter…sorry if this chapter is too heavy…till the next chapter then…