Six

Don't be happy

Past

When Daesung woke up at home, he saw a red, heart-shaped card on the empty side of the bed. 'How cliché.' He thought but he would be lying if he said he weren't even a little moved.

'Go to the cafe at noon, where we first hung out. Happy 1st anniversary, Dae.'

When he reached there, he saw Youngbae inside. They exchanged greetings and Youngbae handed him another heart-shaped card along with a small box. He also handed him paper bag with two cups of drinks inside.

'Here is where we first talked till the sun set. While the sun did set, your smile didn't and it was so bright that it lit up my life. It seemed like nothing, yet, it was like I had waited for you for a long time.

Open the box, it's not what you think it is. Find the place where the gift leads to. I'll be there.

Here's a hint: I'm always there if I don't have to work.'

He opened the box and saw a set of keycards attached with a keyring. There was also a metal tag with numbers engraved.

Well, that's an easy one. What is up with this anyway? He took the box and thanked Youngbae. He hailed a cab and gave the address to Seunghyun's house. He sild the keycard into the security system's slot and entered the numbers on the keychain into the keypad and opened the door.

Daesung walked into the house and saw Seunghyun standing at the balcony, staring out. He walked towards him and wrapped his arms around Seunghyun, leaning his head against his back, breathing in deeply and exhaled with a sigh of bliss.

Seunghyun turned around wrapping his arms around the younger, giving an affectionate peck on his forehead.

"Thanks Dae, for bringing my coffee."

Daesung was incredulous, he could only stare back, eyes wide with disbelief, at his lover.

"What? You went all the way to my place to leave a note, put Youngbae through the trouble just so I can get you your coffee?"

Seunghyun unwrapped himself from his lover and took a sip of coffee from his cup, nearly gagging as he laughed at Daesung's naivety.

"Just joking, love. I had to work in the morning and I wasn't sure if I would be on time to get to you so I had you go on a detour."

"What about Youngbae?"

"He's a very good friend who has too much time on his hands."

Seunghyun's serious expression as he said that had Daesung rolling his eyes and laughing. Such was Seunghyun's charm, his infallible sense of humor had always brought laughter to Daesung.

"Come, love, let's go."

"Where to?"

"Just come with me, you silly."

Daesung looked at him and lifted a brow as he stopped at a hotel and handed the car keys to the valet.

"Not what you think it is." Seunghyun answered the unspoken question with a little shake of his head. He guided both of them into the lift and pressed the button to the twenty-fourth floor. They were led to a table reserved by Seunghyun which provided them with the beautiful view of the city.

One thing that Seunghyun had miscalculated was that Daesung was extremely frightened of the height and he was all fidgety while the older looked through the menu with ease.

"Hyung, I'm scared~" Daesung whined.

"Argh… Babe, you really know how to ruin the mood." He shook his head but still motioned for a waitress.

They ended up booking a room in the hotel, both of them too stuffed and lazy to go anywhere else after the extravagant meal.

Standing in front of the wall-to-floor window, Seunghyun held Daesung from the back and Daesung leaned against him, looking out at the bustling of the busy streets below.

"Dae, no words can express how much I love you. Loving you is the most amazing thing that has happened to me. You are innocent, gentle, full of wonder and more than anything I could ask for."

Daesung tensed at hearing his words. 'Too soon!' His mind screamed.

Seunghyun could feel his sudden rigidity and he chuckled but still he continued.

"Every single night, I wished for you to be in my arms till dawn breaks and even longer than that. So, Daesung, will you…"

Daesung frozed.

"Move in with me?"

And he burst out laughing. He collected himself and pondered on how to reply.

"How do I say this? No, hyung. I would love to but I want to have my own space too. However, I will keep the keys because my home is wherever you are."

"Aww~" Seunghyun pinched his cheeks. "My Dae is such a cheesy person."

"The pot calling the kettle black. You are so cheesy I swear you eat cheese for all your meals."

Seunghyun pouted at his lover and whined a little.

He turned Daesung around, looking at him with adoration, his heart swelling at the sight of his beloved smiling lovingly at him.

"Happy first anniversary, Dae." Seunghyun muttered as he leaned in for a kiss.

"Happy first anniversary, hyung." And Daesung lifted his head to receive the kiss.

 

~~~

 

Present

Daesung sat in the company car, looking out of the window. Today he will fly off to Japan. Today he will leave his 'everything' behind.

His family had tried to stop him from leaving, they never wanted him to be a singer, never wanted their good Christian son to become (in their words) wayward.

He had tried to do his best, always, for them, as their only son. He had always studied hard, always got home on time, had never dyed his hair or worn fashionable clothes and he had never been allowed to have a relationship (he did though, secretly).

Though he had moved out of his family home after much persuasion, they often came to check on him and he had to go back for dinner every night.

All that changed after he met Seunghyun, he became everything he wanted to be. He finally found the courage to break away from the control they had over him.

He was lost in his thoughts, how far he had come in life, how he'd only managed to truly live for the past four years when his phone vibrated and brought him back.

'Hey, I'm at the airport already. I'm getting coffee, you want some tea?'

Daesung read the text and smiled. Seunghyun had been actively texting him again and they had been talking during his concerts' backstage but Seunghyun hadn't gone further than that. Seunghyun still hadn't asked him out but he did bump into the older at work often.

'Yes please, I want salad too. Starving. Be there in 10.'

'Will do. Can't wait to see you.'

A smile crept onto his face and his heart warmed at the simple words. Still, he's not letting Seunghyun off the hook easily.

'Keep waiting then.'

Even though they are not together now, he couldn't help missing Seunghyun.

 

~~~

 

Seunghyun waited in the cafe for Daesung to turn up. He knew that he had arrived because the fangirls were screaming the roof off.

Gauging by the volume of the screams, Daesung should be somewhere very close by.

He watched, amused, as Daesung struggled to enter the cafe. By the time Daesung reached the table, he looked a mess, an adorable mess.

"Why didn't you help me? Seunghyun hyung!"

Daesung had taken the liberty to call him 'hyung' again, albeit with his name, making it more formal. All that, however, did not matter to Seunghyun. All his mind processed was that Daesung had felt comfortable enough to call him 'hyung' instead of 'Mr Choi'.

"My bad. I was having too much fun watching you trying to crawl through a crowd of fangirls."

"You are an , you know?"

"Yes, I know. Now eat up before you miss your flight."

His eyes never left the younger, even as he stuffed his mouth with salad in the most ungraceful manner.

He sent Daesung to the check-in point and passed him a familiar heart-shaped card.

"Don't read it now. I'm too embarrassed even at sight of it. Have a safe flight."

"Bye, Seunghyun hyung. I'll see you."

A regretful feeling hung between them as they parted ways.

 

~~~

 

Daesung was sitting in a vip waiting area, hands slightly numb, feeling a little nervous as he began to read.

'Daesung, I did the stupidest thing that one can ever do. Said the meanest words that one can ever say. If I had known how much pain it would cause us, I wouldn't even harbor the thought of doing such an idiotic thing in the first place. I am truly, truly sorry.

This past month had been heaven compared to the hellish days I had to live without your smile. Thank you for having mercy on me.

Sincerely yours,

Choi Seunghyun'

He re-read the words over and over, each time breaking down more of his defense. It was when they told him it was time to board the plane did he finally take out his phone to text Seunghyun.

'Nothing is impossible. All things good comes to those who wait.'

And he switched it to airplane mode.

 

~~~

 

"Excuse me, can you move please? I have the window seat."

He thought he was hallucinating when he heard the voice because he had his earbuds on and eyes closed. Apparently it wasn't so because after he looked up, Seunghyun was standing right there beside him.

"Seunghyun hyung! What? Why? How?"

Seunghyun chuckled at the younger and explained.

"Well, nothing is impossible, right? I asked your manager to book me a ticket as well when I saw him arranging your schedule. I had also applied for leave. So, here I am, on vacation."

They sat beside each other for the short flight, neither of them talking. Seunghyun looked out of the window and Daesung listening to his music with his eye closed but one detail had been missed out on by everyone else on board.

On both of their hands, their pinky hooked around the other's.

 

 


Not very satisfied with this chapter but I had fun writing it. I sincerely hope I haven't disappoint anyone with this.