One

Don't be happy

Today would be the date of when they first met. Four years ago, fate brought them together. Or rather, Seunghyun's boldness had brought them together.

 

Past

Seunghyun had brought his dog in for an usual check up. Sitting at the receptionist area was a male. It was not the usual receptionist lady.

"Good afternoon, I have an appointment with Dr. Park?"

The low baritone voice had butterflies tickling Daesung's stomach and he looked up. The man standing at the reception counter was deadly handsome.

"May I have your name please?"

"Choi Seunghyun."

"Mr Choi, this is your queue number. Please have a seat at the waiting area." 

Seunghyun took at quick look at the receptionist's name tag, 'Kang Daesung' it stated.

"Thank you, Daesung."

"You are welcome Mr Choi." Daesung smiled brightly.

Daesung's smile spread a warmth throughout Seunghyun which gradually settled in his chest.

It's so cute when he smiles. Seunghyun couldn't stop himself from thinking that.

Before Seunghyun left the veterinary, he went up to the receptionist again. He smiled at Daesung sheepishly and said, "Hey, Daesung. I know it's weird but can I have your Facebook or Instagram or whatever? I'm no ert. Just that seeing you makes me feel like I will regret it if I don't get to contact you. Just... I'm sorry, that I'm asking this even though we just met today. It's fine if you don't want to. I just want to be friends with you."

"It's fine, Mr Choi. I don't use any social media sites but you can have my number." Daesung scribbled his number on his notepad, tore it off and handed it to Seunghyun. "Don't worry, I don't think like that about you. And I would like to have you contact me too."

He flashed Seunghyun a million watt smile, making the already flustered man even more embarrassed. Seunghyun took it quickly and jogged off but not without a parting word to his newest friend.

"I'll text you!"

5 Minutes later

Daesung felt a vibration in his pocket and he took his phone out and swiped the screen to unlock it.

'It's me, Seunghyun. Hopefully you still remember who I am.'

Daesung snickered at the message and typed out a reply.

'I do recall a certain Mr Choi Seunghyun leaving our veterinary five minutes ago. Could you be him? If you are not, then you have texted the wrong person.'

A few seconds was all it took for Seunghyun to reply to Daesung's teasing text.

'Please don't think that I'm stupid. I must have seemed that way.'

And another.

'Scratch that. I'm an idiot. Forget that I ever exsisted.'

And another.

'Scratch that too. Coffee?'

Daesung almost laughed aloud at the messages. Seunghyun is an interesting man.

'Ok, when?'

'What time do you end work? Are you free after that or do you have plans?'

'Today is fine. I end work at seven.'

'I'll see you at the cafe opposite the veterinary.'

When Daesung finally ended work and went to the cafe, Seunghyun was already there. He was dressed casually in a white t-shirt, black cardigan, jeans and sneakers. Even so casually dressed, he still stood out among the crowd with his handsome face and elegant posture.

Daesung felt inferior even though he was dressed as casually in a fitting black t-shirt and jeans. He wasn't good looking but he was very well built, thanks to his strict diet and dedication in working out.

They chatted about Seunghyun's dog, Seunghyun's job at YG entertainment as a stylist, Daesung's wish to be a singer and their favorite food.

Time flew passed and they parted ways.

 

~~~

 

Present

But today, Daesung sat alone in the recording studio, not in the mood to do anything.

He stared at his handphone scrolling through pictures they had taken together. He still wasn't strong enough to delete the pictures. He still missed the man he so deeply loved.

He had gotten so far all because of Seunghyun. Everything he had achieved belonged to both of them. Seunghyun had pushed him when he thought he would give up. Seunghyun took him in when he was given up on. All that he is, all that he has become, he would forego all of it to have that one man back by his side.

Seunghyun was Daesung's pillar of support. But Seunghyun had removed himself, leaving Daesung to slowly collapse.

He looked at the familiar contact and his fingers moved to send a text. His eyes won't stop tearing up. He took a deep breath and strengthened his will to cut Seunghyun off from his life. The pain felt like he was cutting off a huge chunk of of his flesh. His hand trembled as he pressed 'send'.

'Remember today four years ago? I am blocking your number, Mr Choi. If you want to collect your stuff, I'm just going to leave them by the door. Don't forget to return the key.'

His eyes blurred as he willed his fingers to block Seunghyun's number. He lifted an arm over his eyes and let the sobs wrecked his body. 

 Sometimes, you have to be cold to be good to yourself.

 

~~~

 

Today, Seunghyun sat alone in his study room, surrounding himself with photographs of his beloved.

He replayed videos of Daesung that he had recorded over the years on the computer. His cell phone rang he looked at the screen. He sat up abruptly as he saw the name. Panicking after reading the text, he called the number back but it was already blocked. He kept on trying anyway, not once did it get through.

He threw his phone across the room and against the wall in annoyance. The phone shattered, he didn't give a damn. It didn't matter if it was broken because his beloved would never call him or text him anymore.

His heart clenched in his chest.

He couldn't breathe.

He could only scream. Screaming out all his agony, screaming out for his beloved whom he had so cruelly pushed away.

He knew this pain would eventually dull. He knew Daesung would eventually forget him.

If Daesung fulfills his dream and live well, then his pain would be worth it.

He is Daesung's biggest obstacle.

Or so he thinks.