Eight

Don't be happy

Past

After enduring two years of training, Daesung finally debuted as a solo artist.

Dubbed the 'Smiling Angel' because of his ever present bright smile and his voice as beautiful as that of angels, he was featured in many magazines and variety shows. His songs had topped many charts, both locally and across Asia, and music shows.

With his successful debut and awards under his belt, he should be happier than anyone else. Yet, today he turned up at Seunghyun's doorstep upset and bruised all over. The older quickly ushered him into his house and embraced him gently, as if worried that he'll hurt Daesung more.

"Oh my god, what happened?"

"It's fine. It's been this way since young."

"What way? Please tell me, love. I don't know what to do, what to fix if you don't tell me." Seunghyun was starting to panic.

Daesung took a deep breath, contemplating if he should tell his boyfriend the truth. He looked at Seunghyun, his worried face, his pleading eyes and he decided.

"My dad, hyung. I've disobeyed him by becoming a singer. There's nothing to fix because he's my dad. I'll be fine."

"But you are not! Just look at you!"

Daesung pushed away from the elder's embrace, tears of anger streaming from his eyes. "Then what do you want me to do? Report my own father to the police?!"

Seunghyun slapped himself mentally. It was the younger's father, god dammit. He couldn't tell him to put his own father behind bars, could he? He was hurting the younger more, pressuring the already stressed out angel with his outburst.

He willed himself to calm down. This was not the time to fight, his angel was hurt and that was what's most important.

"Daesungie, please. Not this, not now. Let's get you to the bath. A warm soak may make you feel better." But there was no response from the younger, so he tries again, "Look, love. I'm sorry for the way I reacted. It's just that you are so important to me and seeing you so badly hurt, it hurts me too. Please, Daesungie."

Seunghyun reached a finger to the younger's face, wiping off the tears streaming from his left eye. Leaning in, he kissed away the tears rolling down from his other eye. Still the younger kept his slience.

"I'll prepare the bath. Is there anything else you want? A drink?"

Daesung nodded for the first question and shook his head for the second and the elder understood perfectly.

And it was like that for them. One keeping silent and the other listening to unspoken words.

'I'm sorry, hyung. You always had to take care of me. I can't even take care of myself.'

"It's okay, love, it wasn't your fault. I'll be here for you, always."

 

***

 

Present


Daesung woke up remembering every thing that happened the previous night. It wasn't his brain, it was his and alcohol doing the thinking.

But he did not regret it, not even the tiniest bit. It was inevitable, really.

Looking at the elder snoozing away peacefully, he realized how much he had missed him. He took his phone off the bedside table and took a picture of the older.

Back facing the window, the ample sunlight shone through the thin white curtains, illuminating the silhouette of the older perfectly. His face peaceful and he looked younger. A slight smile graced the handsome face, as if he was having a beautiful dream that affected him in reality.

Setting the newly taken photo as his wallpaper, he set his phone on the table again. He nuzzled into the crook of the elder's neck, breathing in his scent, draping an arm over his waist. He had never not loved Seunghyun, not even when the elder hurt him that bad previously. Angry, yes, but he had never stopped loving the elder.

A hand carded through his hair and lips landed soft pecks on his head. He whined a little, reveling in the elder's attention.

Daesung looked up and met with Seunghyun's adoring gaze and he blushed, mesmerized by the elder.

"Good morning, gorgeous."

"Good morning, hyung. What were you dreaming about? You were smiling so sweetly."

"I remembered that I once thought of doing you in the bathroom. It was a long time ago and I saw it again in my dream. I was going to pick you up for lunch and looking at you perspiring, topless, I was so . And you asked if I was sick. I wasn't, I was ready to jump you back then. When you went to shower, I almost wanted to take you there. Not that we haven't done it in the bathroom after we got together, it's just that I've never told you how much I desired you back then."

"Oh hyung, if only you had known."

Seunghyun lifted an eyebrow, questioning.

"Oh, come on. You don't have the biggest package but still, you are blessed? It was obvious, okay?"

The elder turned as red as a tomato.


***

Lying in bed just cuddling the younger, he had never felt as satisfied. Finally, finally he had the younger back. Or had he?

Plucking up his courage, he asked the question which had been plaguing his mind from the night before.

"So, where do we go from here? Were you mine only for last night? Will you still be mine tomorrow?"

The younger looked back at him with an indecipherable expression.

"I honestly don't know. Aren't we fine like this?"

"But where do I stand? Am I your boyfriend? Am I your friend?"

Daesung gave him a most tender gaze, spoke in a gentle voice. He did not want the elder to feel reject.

He did not want the elder to leave. 

"Seunghyun, my world revolves around you. Only you. I felt like my life had just started after I met you. I realized that no matter how bad it was for me, it must be a hundred times worse for you. It's just that I'm having trust issues now. Can you wait just a little more?"

"As long as I can have you back, I will wait."

The younger buried his face into his chest and Seunghyun nuzzled the nest of a bed head, breathing in the scent that was uniquely Daesung's.

He fully intended to commit himself to waiting a lifetime if that's how long it takes.

 

***

 

Returning to his country really wasn't in his plan but he felt he needed to settle things with his family. He had left them after the fight about him staying in Japan and it left him a bad taste. Since Seunghyun's vacation had ended and he needed to return, Daesung followed. His final concerts are still a week away, that gave him enough time.

Booking a last minute flight, he managed to get on the same flight as the elder albeit seated separately.

Since it was only an hour's ride, they didn't miss each other too much.

 

***

 

"Daesungie, what are you going to do now?"

The two of them walked towards the exit of the arrival area, escorted by YG staff and the airport security guards.

"I'm going to my parents place and then to YG. Then I'll be free for the rest of the week." He beamed cheerfully at the elder, masking the nervousness he felt thinking of having to face his parents.

"I'll go with you, since I'm hitching a ride." Seunghyun replied just as light heartedly, even though the memory of a badly bruised Daesung consumed his mind.

"No, you won't. I'll be fine." Daesung still held that smile but sadness lingered in his eyes.

Daesung knew him well.

 

***

 

Daesung alighted the van which had stopped outaide his parents' house. He had to fight the ominous feeling coming over him, to fight the urge of scrambling back into the elder's arms for safety.

All these, he did not tell Seunghyun.

Seunghyun must have somehow sensed his unease because the elder grabbed his arm as he was leaving, pulling him into his embrace.

"Don't do it. As least let me go with you."

"But I'm already an adult."

"Daesung, I can't los…"

Before the elder could finish his sentence, a pair of hands grabbed Daesung by the shoulders, yanking him away.

Before he could react, a hard slap landed on his cheek, sending him reeling. Caught off guard by the slap, he fell back onto the floor. Seunghyun was still in a daze, everything was happening so quickly that he was only starting to grasp the situation. The elder quickly went to help Daesung but was pushed aside by a stout figure.

The man pulled Daesung up roughly by his collar with one hand and slapped him again with the other.

"You shameless thing! I will not have a son like you! You think I didn't see what you both were doing?!"

Daesung turned to look defiantly at him. His lips bloodied from where his teeth had cut from the impact. He smirked a little.

"You think that will hurt me? After all that I've been through? I have never been your son. I was only a puppet for you. A perfect Christian boy with perfect school results. FATHER, I am me! And I WILL live my own life!"

Another slap.

And another.

And another.

Seunghyun rushed to the pair, trying to stop the abuse rained onto his beloved by his father. Daesung's father held onto his collar with a death grip, no matter how Seunghyun tried to pry them apart, he would not let go.

"Beat me to death, why don't you!" Daesung taunted his father still.

"You ungrateful brat!" And he shoved Daesung, causing him to stumble backwards, towards the road.

Onto the path of an oncoming car.

The company van had obscured the view of the three men, none of them saw the car approaching.

The last image of Daesung burned itself into Seunghyun's mind.

Daesung had looked at him in confusion before the car hit him.

He could not save Daesung.

 


 

AN: I hold no grudge towards Daesung's father. I just needed a villain.