Ten

Don't be happy

This chapter is not going to be interesting but I can almost guarantee that it's going to be fluff till the end from here on. I haven't much time to write lately…


 

 

How many days has it been? Daesung's just lying there in bed, motionless. The only movements from him were his chest moving and he steadily breathed in and out.

Seunghyun sat on the chair by his bed, not leaving his post for days. He showered in the hospital when Younbae or Jiyong brought him clothes and coerced him to. He hardly ate, hardly slept and just not doing anything else other than staring at his lover lying in the bed.

"Hyung, eat!" Jiyong finally lost it as Seunghyun once again refused to. Watching his friend fading away day by day, Jiyong just couldn't anymore.

He looked at his favorite dongsaeng, he broke. "Hyung, please, just please. My dongsaeng, your beloved is already… I can't have you here too."

But Seunghyun didn't hear him.

"Daesung ah, when are you going to wake up? You haven't accept me yet." Seunghyun spoke, not to Jiyong but to his sleeping beauty.

 

~~~

 

Seunghyun held onto Daesung's hand as he slept on the chair, cheek against the back of the hand which he held.

A movement against his cheek woke him up. Still groggy from sleep, he wasn't sure that had been from in which his held or just a trick of his mind.

But as he looked at the sleeping face, he knew it was real. The movements under Daesung's eyelids and the light fluttering of lashes as he struggled to open his eyes confirmed that it was most definitely real.

Seunghyun scrambled for the nurse call button and pressed on it repeatedly. He bent over the younger, carding his hand through Daesung's hair and softly encouraged him to wake up.

"Daesung ah, open your eyes. Look at me again babe, please."

A nurse and doctor rushed in and ushered the anxious Seunghyun to the corner of the room and proceed to examine Daesung. The doctor shone his small torchlight into each of his eye and checked his pulse. He then asked a few simple questions.

"Can you tell me your name?" Was the first question he asked.

"Kang Daesung." A soft but hoarse voice replied.

"Your age?"

"Twenty-two."

"What year is this?"

"2012." He answered with certainty.

Seunghyun's eyes opened wide. Four years. Daesung had lost four years of his memories. They had been together for four years. He stumbled back against the wall, leaning on it for support. Had the younger forgotten about him?

"Do you know where is this?"

"A hospital."

"Can you try to recall what brought you here?"

"No. I was going to meet a friend after work. Why am I here?" Seunghyun could hear the agitation in his voice.

But the doctor was patient. "Mr Kang, what do you work as?"

"I'm a receptionist at Park's veterinary."

Seunghyun squeezed his eyes shut and willed himself to stay where he is and not to run over and grab the younger, asking if he remember anything about them.

"Why am I here? Why is my arm and leg in a cast?" Daesung was desperate for answers. He couldn't remember what had happened to land him in a hospital. He was lost and weirded out by the questions thrown at him.

"Mr Kang, I need you to try and stay calm. It's perfectly normal that you would be upset right now, not understanding the situation, unable to recall the event which landed you here. You were in a car accident and you sustained a head injury that may have caused you to suffer impaired memories."

"What? I don't… What did you say? Impaired memories? I lost my memories? Is that what you are saying?"

"Yes. We cannot guarantee that you can get all your memories back. If you do, there's no way to tell how long it will take. It may take a few days, it may take years." The doctor paused, letting reality sink in before continuing. "Mr Kang, this is year 2016. I know it is a lot to take in right now but do try to stay calm. We'll arrange an appointment for a MRI scan and some tests. I'll take my leave now. Rest well, Mr Kang."

After the doctor and nurse had left, Daesung looked around the room and spotted Seunghyun sitting on the floor, hugging his knees close and forehead leaning on them.

'At least I do remember that handsome man.' Daesung thought. Recognising that man brought him little relief. "Mr Choi…"

Seunghyun's head snapped up, looked at Daesung as he tried again. "You are Mr Choi. I was going to meet you for coffee. So, why are you here? How did I end up here?"

"You remember me?" Seunghyun questioned.

"Yes. Can you answer me?"

"You were in a car accident." Seunghyun decided that it was all he would answer. The details could be too much for the younger now.

"Okay." But he knew Seunghyun was keeping the details from him. The man looked older, much older than he remembered, much thinner than he remembered. He looked at Seunghyun, really looked at him. A wan smile, a fatigue face, a faded man sitting on the floor. Perhaps time had changed him or was he the cause?

"How long have you been here?" Daesung wondered out loud.

"Days, Daesung. Days. But you've woken up, so it doesn't matter anymore." Seunghyun replied, keeping his disappointment to himself.

                                           

   ~~~

Seunghyun was right beside Daesung as he went through his cognitive and diagnostic tests, never leaving him alone over the days.

Daesung's mother came to visit him, each time stopped by Seunghyun when his mother tried to explain his accident. His father never came. Daesung didn't ask.

"I will discharge you tomorrow. You can return home. However, you have to go for therapy sessions." The doctor told Daesung as he laid in bed. As usual, Seunghyun was right beside him.

The urge to hold his hand, to kiss him was almost unbearable but Seunghyun knows not to push him too hard.

The doctor pulled him out of the room. "He needs someone to stay close to him, he needs emotional support. There's a possibility that he might sink into depression due to this inability to recall the memories that he lost. So, try not to hurry him, let him go at his own pace. Bring him to familiar places, meet people whom he knows may help. Take care of him, Mr Choi."

 

~~~

 

"Why are we at your place?" A puzzled Daesung asked.

It was a strange feeling. It wasn't just familiarity to him. The settled feelings in his heart told him that he was home. A man who should have been only a stranger to him, yet longing for the man stirred within him. Was there something between them that he had forgotten? He dare not ask. He was afraid if the man should deny it.

"Because you need someone with you and I volunteered to be that someone. You'll sleep in the master bedroom, I'll be in the study room. I have a bed there." Seunghyun answered as he pushed the wheelchair into the room. He settled the younger into bed and left to prepare food.

Daesung looked around the environment and was surprised to see a gargantuan painting of someone resembled him hanging on the wall across the bed. The face was his alright, but that painting had blonde hair and a pair of angel wings. Mounted on the wall adjacent, there was a CD player and two mounted on shelves. He scanned through the CD display and saw that a few of them belonged to the same singer. It wasn't that the collection of CDs and DVDs belonging to the same artist that caught his eyes, it was the name of the artist.

Kang Daesung.

Seunghyun returned with a plate of french toast, a cup of coffee for himself and tea for the younger. He saw the younger staring at the painting intently.

"That's you. It was a moment captured when you were on stage, during your concert. I had it converted into a painting."

Daesung turn and saw a look of pride plastered on Seunghyun's face.

"My concert? Was there a reason why you had the painting done?"

'Because I love you.' Was what Seunghyun wanted to say. "I'm a big fan of yours." Was what he said instead. "You're no longer a receptionist, Daesung. You are a singer, a very popular one at that."

"Really? No. No… Really?! Then those albums?"

The elder nodded and chuckled at the disbelieving look on his face. The memory loss hadn't change the adorable side of him. He set the tray down on the bedside table, handed Daesung the cup of tea and began retracing the younger's lost memories.

It was as if Daesung was listening to the story of another, not himself. Everything that Seunghyun told him, drew blank in his mind. It also made him wonder how did Seunghyun knew so much about him.

Seunghyun had purposely left out details behind the true nature of their relationship. His beloved had questioned him, all he said was, "we were close." And left it at that.

Dinner was a simple affair, instant ramyeon with an egg but younger devoured the entire content in the bowl as if he hadn't ate for days. Comfort food indeed. "What? Hospital food was crap." He said, embarrassed when he caught the elder staring, stunned, as he literally shoved his face into the bowl since he was only able to use one hand.

'Gods, he's so cute.' Seunghyun thought, butterflies fluttering in his stomach. Maybe he was falling for Daesung all over again, maybe he was reaching another level of affection for the other, he knows not which. But, whichever it was, he was becoming more anxious.

 

~~~

 

Lying in this bed, breathing in the light scent of cologne coming from the bathroom, he was hazy as sleep tried to claim him but it just didn't happen. It was so incredibly lonely in the king sized bed, his body missing a certain warmth.

He reached over to the bedside table and opened the drawer. Since he couldn't sleep, he might as well explore his surroundings for a little. Feeling around in the drawer, the took out a photo frame. Flipping the frame over, in it was a sepia colored photograph. Though the picture only showed their side profiles, it was unmistakably Seunghyun and himself. He was smiling widely, eyes twinkling with pride at Seunghyun and the elder's expression was gentle, loving.

He understood. It was right there in his hands, clear as day, the longing he felt when he looked at Seunghyun, it was undeniable. What the mind forgets, the heart remembers. He understood but it doesn't mean he could get back into it right away, for the Seunghyun in his mind was still a stranger.

A soft knock came from the door. Panicking, Daesung hid the photo under the blanket and pretended to be asleep. He heard the door open and light footsteps padding across the room, the presence closing in on him.

Out of all the random scenarios that ran through his head, Daesung hadn't expected a kiss to land on his forehead.

"I've missed you, babe. You're still perfect, even now. You are perfect." With that and another peck to his nose, Seunghyun left.

Sleep finally descended upon Daesung. And he saw.

A stalk of red rose.

A caress to his cheek.

A kiss to the other.

A low voice speaking.

"You are perfect."

It was a piece of his memory, not a dream.

That he was sure of.

 

 


 

No more past and present because they are rebuilding Daesung's memories and their relationship.