Chapter Seven

Forever Yours

Author's Note: I own nothing.

 

Love waits. But it isn't always wise to test its patience.

"The topic for today, class, is reincarnation."

Dara was too out of it to care that the teacher was even there, never mind lecturing. After a night of tossing and turning, plagued with dreams of blinding pain and death, she had better things to do than ponder the possibilities of a life after this one.

"The most common belief when pertaining to the question of reincarnation is that–"

Dara guiltily tuned the professor out once more, cupping her pale chin in her palm. It wasn't that the dreams were just regular nightmares that kept you up after a night of horror movies, she mused thoughtfully. They weren't the result of eating cold pizza and warm soda before going to bed either. It was almost like...she shuddered subconsciously. It was almost like they were memories of some sort.

"–in other words, class, the belief is that the soul is reborn to a new body in a different time in order to redo previous mistakes. Think of it as a second chance...a redemption of some sort."

Not only memories, child...but warnings. Being foolish once is expected. Being foolish twice is not allowed.

She gave a small shriek, bolting upright and pressing her hands against her ears to block out the voice.

"Miss Park?"

Flushing a bright red at the baffled looks of teacher and classmate, she quickly made up an excuse to go to the nurse. Bowing several times to hide her mortification, she backed out into the hall, and into a certain person who was returning from the bathroom. Their eyes met, and she could feel the jolt.

"I carry this sword with me, Dara, to remind me of my sins." His eyes were so serious. So sad. "I use it as a tool to work towards my redemption."

A fire blazed in brown depths, quickly banked. "Stay away from me," she hissed desperately. "Just stay away." And she was gone.

Jiyong stared after her, a broken look on his face.

"...my redemption."

"What are you afraid of, Dara?"

She laughed, swinging her long legs from her perch on the tree limb. "I have no fears."

He smiled and wondered why his heart didn't just burst from loving her. "As you should."

Leaping gracefully from her seat, Dara's voice grew quiet and solemn. "If I fear anything, it is that I would die alone. That I could never bear."

He turned away, scalded by the vulnerable look in her eyes. "Aa."

The next morning, she was dead.

Jiyong grew pale, leaning drunkenly against the school's wall for balance as his knees weakened. His eyes were bright and wet.

"I'm sorry, Dara."

I'm so sorry.


"Park Chaerin, may I have a word, please?" Jiyong bowed formally and sent her a small smile.

She studied him from underneath her tinted shades. She hadn't missed the way this slight man affected her sister. "Ne? What is it?" she replied warily.

"Well, you see..." Jiyong gulped, suddenly nervous. "It's just that..."

"Pabo." Seungri rapped his friend gently on the head. "Chae-cat, Jiyong has the hots for your sister."

"Seungri!" Jiyong hissed, mortified.

Chaerin continued to study Jiyong, but her eyes had darkened. "Dara, is it?"

The boy failed to answer, finding something interesting on the grass beneath his feet. The girl rolled her eyes.

Would he never have the guts to say his feelings?

She frowned, wondering where that thought had come from. The feel of Seungri's hand on her shoulder brought her comfort.

"Maybe....Maybe I could come over sometime?"

She arched a slim eyebrow. "And why would you need to do that, Kwon Jiyong?”

Just to see her, be near her. Breathe the same air as her. "Just to, uhm, you know...homework," he finished lamely.

She shrugged, and scribbled down her address and her sister's cell phone number. Ripping the notebook paper out, she stuffed into the older boy's hand.

"You take care, Kwon. No one messes with my sister and survives. Understood?"

"A-Aa."

"Good." She sniffed, flung her hair over her shoulder, watched him walk away. And struggled with guilt. Damned if she didn't feel a bit sorry for the poor guy with unusual eyes.

"Jiyong!"

He turned. Looked at her. She was hit with a wave of pity that astounded her. She d blindly for Seungri's hand, finding the strength to smile a bit as the boy brought it to his lips.

"Be careful, ne?"

No sense in repeating the past.


"Dara!" Bom tugged at her sister's sleeve, breathless. "I've been looking everywhere for you!"

"Mmm?" she spared a glance at her younger sister's face and put down her pen. "What is it. Bom?"

"Nothing really," she giggled, plopping down across from Dara on the bench. "I just couldn't find Chaerin. She left her math book on the kitchen table again."

Dara rolled her eyes. "She always does. Did you find her?"

"Uh-huh." Bom reached across the table and grabbed a french fry off of Dara's plate. "She was talking to Sano's friend. Jiyong."

She pretended not to notice the way her sister stiffened and grew pale.

"I loved him once, Dara," she smiled. Now, alone, she dropped the act and rested a tender hand on the younger girl's shoulder. "Or at least I think I did. But now I know better."

"Know better?"

"You foolish girl," she laughed. "Its amazing to know you still get jealous, when you should know better. But know this. I've given my heart to another."

"Seungri is a very lucky man, Chaerin."

The older woman blushed a pretty red before gripping Dara's chin and forcing her to look into sympathetic brown eyes.

"Wait for him, Dara. Love waits."

"Dara?"

She blinked, shaking off a daydream. "Oh...She was?" She worked to keep her tone light and nonchalant. "About what?"

You. "Oh, nothing." Bom fought off the wave of guilt she left lying to her sister. He had only been asking Chaerin for their address, after all. How harmful could that be? "Homework or something."

Dara smiled, staring off into the distance. "That's nice, Bom. Come on. You have a free period now, don't you? Let's go and get lunch."

Park Bom grinned. "How can I refuse a free meal?"

Dara laughed lightly, slipping on sunglasses to shield her eyes from the overly bright sun. "How could you?"


Pulling out of the parking lot, Dara fought off a brief shudder. Was someone watching her? Nodding absently at her younger sister's gossip, she searched her surroundings. Finding nothing, she shrugged and glanced at the rearview mirror. And screamed.

"Dara!" Bom stopped her description of the latest couple caught making out in the janitor's closet. "Dara, what's the matter? Dara!"

Tears slipped out of the older girl's frightened eyes, and her hands were white knuckled on the steering wheel. He was there. She could see him. The arrogant smile on his lips. The cocky stance as he leaned against his car. And he was waiting.

"Do you think you can escape me!" His eyes were crazed behind the tinted glasses, his hands gentle. She only wept harder.

"Please, please..." She had no idea what to ask for. Mercy? A quick death? Her blood split over the floor, and she watched it with a detached horror. Her strength was fading. And worst of all....worst of all was the overwhelming knowledge that she was helpless.

"I did this for you, Dara," he continued, her hair. Blood was on his skin, his clothes. Her blood. The room was growing dim, but she refused to whimper. She wouldn't give him the satisfaction.

But his hand tightened viscously on her hair and she couldn't help a small sob at the stab of pain.

"This is the only way," he continued. "This is the only way. No G-Dragon to take you from me. This way you're mine."

Her breaths were slowing, and she barely felt the pain when he lay a loving hand on the dagger's hilt and drove it through.

"You can never escape me, Dara. I love you. I'll wait for you. Love waits."

And she saw nothing.

He held up a single jasmine blossom, touched it to his lips. And smiled.

"If you could run away, would you? Would you run away from me?"

"Would you let me?"

"I would, if that would make you happy."

"Then I wouldn't."