Prologue

Forever Yours

Author’s Note: I don’t own anything. Will be loosely based off one of my favorite stories!

 

‘If you were to kill me, would I forgive you?’

Jiyong knew it was coming. He could feel it in his bones, the way a chill rolls up his spine. He could feel it in his body, the way that his nerves started to scream a warning. Most of all, he thought as he looked into her determined eyes, most of all, he could feel it in his heart.

It beat painfully as she gripped his wrist. She seemed at a loss for words, trying to grasp for things to say. Jiyong wished that she’d never find them. That things would stay the way they were.

Please, not now. Not when I’ve finally found peace.
Not when I’ve finally found love.

 

But she spoke, “Do you love me?”

There was silence, punctuated by pain. “U…uhhh”, he struggled with himself.

“Don’t try to evade the question, Jiyong. I’m tired. Do you love me?”

I’m so tired of being alone.

Tell her! His heart screamed. He had to. He had kept it to himself for so long…

“A..ani”

There was a moment of silence, heavy in its finality. Jiyong’s heart ached as he watched the light slowly fade from her eyes. Tears would have been better than her broken acceptance.

Please don’t look at me like that.

As if in answer to his silent please, she closed her eyes, slowly releasing his arm. Her voice was cold and razor sharp with pain when she finally spoke.  “Goodnight. I – tell everyone goodnight for me.”

She turned away, leaving him in the courtyard alone. He watched her, his eyes filling as her walk turned into a run for the sanctuary of her room.

“Dara…” he whispered, brown eyes filled with grief as her door slammed shut. He raised a hand, fingers outstretched.

You do not deserve peace. How could you ever deserve love?

His hand dropped to his side where it curled to a fist. “I’m so sorry,” he whispered, turning away to sink silently on the floor. In the end, his mind won the simple argument. Save her. He had to save her.

How could I ever deserve love?


Seunghyun knew that she had entered the room, even though she had employed every inch of her skill to enter soundlessly. Even though he faced the window and she had done nothing but stare at his back for the past few minutes, his heart knew. The darkened room seemed just a little brighter with her presence. It was always just a little warmer when she was with him.

And he knew before she opened that something was wrong.

“Seunghyun.”

“Bom.”

“We have to talk, Seunghyun.” He had known that she would say such a thing. Had known, but had not expected it.

“No.”

“We have to.”

“No.”

Her voice grew quiet. Heavy. “Please, Seunghyun.”

“Bom, I told you NO. Go to bed.” He heard her intake of breath. He braced for the coming onslaught.

“Seunghyun, I hate you!”, she screamed with rage. “I hate you. I hate you. I hate you!” No blade could have dealt a sharper blow.

“Bom,” he sighed, forcing himself to remain calm in spite of the hurt. “Go to bed.”

“I’m not a child anymore, you idiot!” she cried in desperation. “I’m not a child, can’t you understand? I love you! Can you not even tell me that you care about me? Can’t you even lie for me?”

He balled his hands into fists, waiting for them to stop shaking before he turned to face her. Lie to me.

“Bom.” He had to pause, had to keep the pain out of his voice. “Leave.”

Her eyes shimmered with tears as she watched him turn away. She d for the door handle and stumbled out. When she clicked the door shut she fell on her knees and wept, pounding her small fists on the floor. “Can’t you even lie to me? Seunghyun, I’m dying. I’m dying. And…and I don’t want to be alone.”

In her grief she never heard the sorrow of the man placing his hand on the door that kept them apart.

I promise I’ll believe.


The next morning, two screams of agony could be heard in all Korea. Two souls will never be the same again.

I do not want to be alone…