Chapter Eighteen

Forever Yours

Author’s Note: I don’t own anything.

/own thoughts/
italics – past lives


How do I move on…

When all I am is you?
 

Bom felt an insane urge to run screaming out the door. She covered it with a shaky smile as the upperclassman drew her closer to his chest. She could feel his touch burn into her skin, and instantly cursed her expressive eyes.

/Stupid slow songs. Where's heavy metal music when you need it/

TOP said nothing as he watched her bite her lip.

She felt an elbow in her side and winced, twisting with a sharp retort ready on her tongue.

"Whoa! Bommie. You sure look grown up tonight."

Something inside flared, morphing her annoyed expression into something entirely different. Her smile warmed, a different color started to bleed into the brown of her pupils. The boy didn't notice. TOP's arms grew stiff around her waist.

He did.

"You approve?"

Youngbae would have gladly strangled his frat brother had he been aware of the thoughts rushing through the man's head. TOP's eyes threatened murder.

The boy was oblivious. "Oh, yeah. Hell, if I wasn't so terrified of your brother, I'd eat you right--"

Bom arched an elegant brow, a smirk tugging at the corner of . Her voice was not her own. "Oppa’s not here right now, is he?"

TOP's expression turned threatening as the boy's glazed stare brightened. "Yeah, yeah, that's true."

Don't do anything stupid, kid.

He slid an unsteady arm around Miao's waist in what he apparently saw as a smooth maneuver. A slight sneer of disgust twisted her pink lips, but her expression did not otherwise change as the boy's long fingers dug artlessly into the green material.

TOP sighed. Pity.

After this, he mused, he probably wouldn't be invited back.


Chaerin figured that, after this, fraternity parties were simply no longer an option for a family outing. This, she cooly informed her boyfriend of as she tugged him away by the ear.

"Aw, cat, it ain't like anyone got killed!" Seungri protested. His pout quickly transformed into a howl of pain as she dug the tip of her high heel into his shin and jabbed a well-polished nail into his chest.

"Okay, OKAY!" Seungri resumed his pouting. "But that doesn't hardly count-- they're still in a stand-off, no blood. Ow! You don't have to--"

"They're in a stand-off over my sister, you idiot!" she hissed, fighting the urge to rap the man in front of her with her purse. "As if Dara didn't have enough problems dating with mister Super Twin over--" Her words faltered suddenly, and her already porcelain face grew even whiter.

Seungri decided that he wanted to live more than he wanted to laugh at his girlfriend's panic, and thus pointed helpfully to the Park boy, whose face had gone-- upon realizing the situation-- from curious to shocked to stormy in the course of only a few seconds.

"Youngbae looks…slightly sane. I wouldn't worry too much."

Chaerin sighed and decided that another drink couldn't hurt.


Well, Dara mused, this .

The whole dance floor seemed to be able to sense the tension, edging cautiously away from the trio. Soohyuk glanced at the frightened faces and cocked his head, considering.

"It seems that you've killed the party, GD," he smiled. "Shame, really."

He wasn't amused, and Dara swallowed nervously at the almost crazed look that flashed in his grim gaze.

"Get away from her, Soohyuk."

The smile bloomed into a smirk. "Ah…No?"

She nearly stepped back herself when the shorter man made a calculated, threatening move forward. Soohyuk's grin never wavered.

"Get. Away. I won't ask again."

Soohyuk laughed. The sound echoed through the room unnaturally, making the hairs on the back of her neck stand up.

Dara pulled away, surprised when he let her go without a struggle. His eyes never left hers.

"It seems only fair, G-Dragon," he murmured, "that we should be even."

Jiyong's lips drew up in a smile that radiated danger. "Oh?"

"After all, we have been up until this life. You had her. I had her. I killed her." His smile broadened. "You killed her."

Jiyong's eyes flashed. "Tread carefully, Soohyuk."

"The truth hurts, doesn't it?" Perfect, white teeth gleamed. "To hear that you're on the same level as I am?"

"Shut up."

The boy continued, malice glinting behind his tinted shades. "As I was saying…we should be even. You kissed her…"

Dara winced as her chin was gripped roughly between his fingers. Her face was jerked up, her gaze forced to meet his. His breath ghosted over her lips.

"In the name of fairness, I should be able to kiss her as well, no?"

Jiyong’s hand shot out, faster than she could see, and gripped the taller man's throat, slamming him into the wall. Dara screamed. Soohyuk merely smirked, his glasses knocked askew.

"No? You could have just said so, GD. Always showing off."

As if disgusted, Jiyong abruptly let go, causing him to fall in a crumpled heap. Dara instinctively moved to help the wheezing boy, but stilled when she felt a firm hand grasp her arm.

"Don't."

She sputtered in outrage as she found herself being hauled away, and let out an oomph as she found herself being hauled out of the room and pushed not so gently against a wall.

She gaped at the burning gaze. "Jiyong, don't be ridiculous--"

Anger and hurt sharpened his glare. "Would you choose him over me?"

"Jiyong, you're--"

"Do you hate me that much?"

She tried in vain to break his hold, but he would not budge. His bangs fell over his expressive eyes as he bowed his head, but it could not hide the anguish in his voice.

"Don't let him touch you." The hand that gripped her arm trembled and he drew in a shaking breath. "I don't know what I would do if I lost you again."

She found herself hesitantly reaching out to cover his larger hand with her own, drawing in a quick breath as she found herself held tightly up against his shaking form.

Don't.

Brown eyes clashed with gold as she nervously cleared .

"Jiyong, I…"

"Do you truly not remember?"

He was close enough to kiss, she mused, and flushed brightly. Still…she found herself unable to move, even as he cupped her cold cheek in his free hand and leaned closer.

Don't.

And for once, she ignored the warning.

Jiyong's other hand moved slowly from her arm to the warm skin that the dress left bare. Her eyes fluttered shut and her breath quickened as she pressed closer, as she felt the slight, tentative brush of his lips.

Closer…

Don't.

Heavy footsteps broke the silence.

She jumped back. His eyes snapped open, the gold flaming with annoyance.

"Dara, are you--" Seungri paused, debating whether to run and hide or hit himself and save his friend the trouble. "Oh…yeah, I should have knocked or something, shouldn't I? Course there're no doors, but, you know, I should have…done something. Is this a bad time?"

"Go away, Seungri," Jiyong growled, his eyes still on Dara's bewildered face, his hands still holding her close, despite her protests.

"Uh," Seungri sheepishly put his hand behind his head, laughing nervously. "I would, but…Mr. Super Twin is on his way and he's not looking 100% sane, so I'd suggest--"

Dara gasped, her efforts to get free doubling. If Youngbae saw this, he'd kill Jiyong for sure-- after all, he took after their father.

"This isn't finished, Dara." He whispered, brushing a soft kiss on her cheek, causing her to grow still in shock. "This isn't finished."

She stood there, her hand coming up to gingerly touch the cheek he touched. She felt her brother's exasperated voice demand answers as he tugged her away.

But all she saw was him.


"If I died--"She was so caught up in her own thoughts that she missed the pained flash come and go in his quiet gaze. "If I died, Jiyong, what do you think would happen?"

The water sloshed gently as he wrung out the laundry, his fingers tense against the cloth. "Why such dark thoughts on such a beautiful day, Dara?" he murmured.

What would you do? She longed to ask. The words were on the tip of her tongue. Would you cry for me?

"My life is such a small thing," she mused.

He sneaked a glance at her and was surprised by the brightness of her eyes. Turning back, he missed the tears the leaked out.

"If you loved someone…" She shook her head and leaned back against the smooth wood of the dojo, her eyes distant and thoughtful. "I mean, really cared for someone, what would you do if they left?"

He smiled the smile that didn't quite reach his eyes and moved to hang up the kimono. The bright silk flapped gently in the breeze, and they both relished the peace.

He held out a hand to her, looking away at something only he could see as she took it and stood.

"I would follow, ofcourse."

"For how long?"

"No one wants to be alone, Dara."

And then he smiled, and walked away.


TOP decided that he was getting soft.

The offender was curled up in a ball. TOP nudged him a bit with the tip of his shoe, nodding in satisfaction as the boy moaned.

"I think he's still breathing, at least," Bom droned, struggling to inject censure into her voice. "Do all of your first impressions go this well?"

She made no sound as the irritated man yanked her so her impassioned eyes met his ice.

"Do you think this is funny?" His voice was deceptively even.

She smiled slowly, unaware of the tightening in his chest at the look in her blank eyes. "Don't you?"

"Is this a game to you?" he bit out.

You're tearing me apart…

Her smile slipped and she moved to turn out of his grasp, "No."

Panic sliced through him, blinding. He followed her.

"Don't play with me, Bom."

Her eyes narrowed dangerously. "I don't play games."

"Then what are you doing?" She stopped, but didn't turn around. His heart swelled with emotion. "Is this your way of punishing me? Of making me pay for what I did to you?"

She didn't answer, but he didn't miss the slight tremble that shook her stiff form.

"I'm sorry, Bom."

He risked reaching out, touching the shaking flesh of her shoulder. "I'm sorry."

"Why?"

"I wasn't there."

"I was dying. There was nothing you could have done." She shrugged his hand off angrily. "Do you think you're God now? I don't need your apologies."

"I could have been there." A man of few words, he found himself struggling for the right ones. "I could have helped you."

"With what?"

"I…" Frustrated, he balled his hands into fists that lay useless at his side. "Damn it, Bom, look at me!"

She turned, and he wished she hadn't. Her tears ripped at him, and he gaped, not knowing what to do.

"What could you have done, Seunghyun?"

"I…I could have given you the truth. I should have told you that I--"

She laughed. Slowly at first, but with gradually increased feeling. She clutched at her stomach, letting the giggles roll out. "Do you think that it matters?"

"Bom, I--"

"I would have killed for the truth then. I have no such need for it now."

"Bom--"

She sauntered slowly away, the cold click of her heels echoing in the empty hallway. Pausing briefly, she murmured, "You disappoint me, Seunghyun. Do you honestly think that life is a game? That if you make a mistake, you can press the Reset button and everything would be all right?"

He said nothing. Could say nothing over the pain in his chest.

"Just because you're sorry, you think that in this round, I am supposed to fall into your arms? It isn't a game. There is no reset button."

Tears fell, unheeded by the both of them.

"Sometimes, Seunghyun…sometimes you just lose."


What I wouldn't do for a second chance…