Chapter 5

Even the Sun Gives Way to the Moon

 

Mamamoo's comeback with the hit single Um Oh Ah Yeah was a complete success. It all felt surreal for the four girls as they began to get the attention that everybody thought they deserved. They have been receiving nothing but commendation and applause left and right. Despite this, the four girls had remained very down to earth and unpretentious. Each girl also had individual side-projects like guest appearances in dramas and variety shows with every member being as supportive to each other as they can be- this being apparent when they're happily talking up each others' accomplishments in interviews.

Needless to say, by this time, the girls had formed a friendship that's not entirely free of any flaw, but is stronger and holds them together a thousand times better than the best adhesive ever invented. They've moved into their own units although still remained in the same building. This was a mutual decision amongst the girls as they believed that it would be nice to have a little more privacy; not to mention that they still get to see each other often anyway.

"A strong friendship doesn't always need daily conversation or togetherness", Moonbyul said with a smile on her face as she quoted the post she saw online as she was trying to find the recipe of Solar's favourite dish on the internet. She was the first one to move out but ironically, she was the last one to get used to living alone because you see, Moonbyul loves her members.

She loves Hwa Sa. She loves how she'd been always the most behaved one in the group. She loves how the the maknae talked less and listened more. She loves how she transforms everytime the stage lights would flick on. She loves the oozing confidence emanating from the girl during performances. She loves how she just does not care about how other people would criticize her thighs and would take it as a compliment instead because she liked the individuality; how she's different from the imposed stereotypical girl idol. She loves Ahn Hye-jin for her maturity despite her young age.

She also loves Whee In too. She loves how she could get rid the awkwardness in any situation through her humour or how she would make light of a conversation to ease the tension. She loves how the younger girl is literally a bundle of joy. She loves how things feel lighter whenever Whee In is around. She loves seeing the latter do various aegyos and how she's easily picked as the sweetest member of the group. She loves how she'd pull comical facial expressions in front of the camera not shying away for one bit. She loves how she gets competitive whenever her friendship with Hwa Sa is being tested and/or doubted. She loves Jung Whi-in for trying to lift up the group's spirits when everyone else was trying to bring them down.

Moonbyul loves Solar the most. She loves how the older girl is the true representation of a paradox. Perfectly imperfect. She loves how she'd plan things and she loves how she wouldn't even go with the arrangement. She loves her randomness and sense of adventure. She loves how she claims that she is the dancing queen and she loves how she's humble enough to admit that it's far from the truth. She loves the way she'd always flip her hair and she loves how she'd do it even more when she's told to stop doing it. She loves the way Solar aims for perfection and she loves the way she'd make fun of her own mistakes. She loves the way the girl slays every performance and she loves how she's aware of it. She loves how her voice sounds both like an angel singing from the heavens and a diva born to own up the stage. She loves how she reacts whenever she's told that she's pretty and she loves how she doesn't know how true it is. She loves the way she says "weird" more times than the letter 'S' has been repeated in the word possessionlessness. She loves the the adorable pout she does whenever she gets trolled which is why Moonbyul loves to tease the hell out of her. She loves how slow she could be sometimes before she could process what's happening around her. She loves how cute she could be whenever she'd be gullible. She loves how they share the same taste of food. She loves how she smiles using her eyes. She loves how she glows brighter than the sun's rays. She loves how she'd probably end up with a 100-page book of why she loves her so to put it simply, Moon Byul-yi loves Kim Yong-sun for her everything; And to be more precise, Moon Byul-yi is in love with Kim Yong-sun's everything.

Sadly, the latter may never feel the same; Not to mention they live in a country where same- relationship raises eyebrows and is evidently frowned upon.

-

"Yongkong."

"Byulkong. Byulkong."

"Yongkong."

"Moon and.."

"...Sunrise!"

The MoonSun couple had started yet another live streaming on V App after a hard day's work. They had just finished recording stuff for their new album. They both decided to go for a walk and get something to eat while the maknaes thought they'd use the rest of their evening to get some rest.

"It's so cold out here", Moonbyul said, her breath fogging the air, as she tucked her hands in the pockets of her coat even further.

"It is quite cold", Solar agreed as she shoved one hand in her coat pocket while the other held the phone in the air as she adjusted the angle so that both of them were in frame. "We'll feel warmer when we start walking", she added as she led the way further into the park.

It wasn't even a minute through the live stream when Solar complained about how her arm was starting to hurt so Moonbyul took over holding the phone for her.

Winter had long made its presence with branches and exposed metal coated with frost crystals. The air is crisp and ozone scent was very eminent. It was nearing Christmas so the park that the girls were exploring was decorated in a creative way where patches of "flowers" that lit up at night were scattered through the path illuminating the rather dark place.

"Look they're so pretty", Solar said as she walked towards the flowers.

Moonbyul looked to her left where a patch was located but caught a glimpse of Solar's side profile instead. "Yeah, so pretty."

They've continued walking until they've finally found a good spot with fewer people and better lighting.

-

"...Neutrogena foam cleanser. My special best friend", Solar said as she bit her finger trying to look y, mimicing the typical facial wash commercial seen on TV.

Moonbyul doubled in laughter. "You're... good...", she said in between laughs.

"Byul-unnie, what are you gonna do for your birthday?", Solar asked reading one of the comments from the chat box.

Girl on question immediately answered, "Solar said she's going to get me a gift" effectively bringing the leader into the topic. She seems to be good at that.

"Yes", Solar confirmed as she moved her head up and down in agreement.

Moonbyul turned to Solar and asked, "An expensive gift, right?"

"What kind of present?"

"You're going to give me something expensive", the younger girl demanded.

"No", Solar stated casually then to Moonbyul's, amusement, the former suddenly went into acting mode and said, "You only like expensive things."

"I like you", Moonbyul said for the nth time that night making fun of Solar's character's line to cover up the reality in those three words. Every time she'd do it, her heart hammered through her chest as if it wanted to escape from the cage that contained Moonbyul's feelings towards her unnie.

As expected, she was given no response back, and Moonbyul felt rejected, yet again.

It's always been like that. Moonbyul would always shower Solar with affection while the latter would just deflect it. She'd always laugh it off but nobody sees the scars in her heart left by the stab wounds caused by the constant rejection when Solar would take her hands off her, or when she wouldn't say that she loves her back, or when she'd be greasy to others but finds it "weird" if it's with her.

"I said I like you", she repeated but fell on deaf ears.

-

"I'm so tired", Solar said as she made herself comfortable on the younger girl's bed.

"Why are you even here?"

"Because I want to."

"You have your own unit to yourself."

"Yours was closer."

"Yong-sun unnie..."

"Byul-ah..."

Moonbyul could only sigh because she knew there's no point in trying to argue because Solar does what she wants to do anyway. She left the leader to wash up and clear her face from make up. When she got back, she found the other girl sound asleep. She sat beside the sleeping figure, gently kissed her on the cheek and said, "I like you. I LIKED you. I liked you a lot that I started loving you."

She stood up, got some blanket to throw over her feet, and positioned herself on the couch. "This is gonna be one long hell of a night", she thought to herself as she tried to get some sleep.