Chapter 10

Even the Sun Gives Way to the Moon

A/N: Apologies in advance if this isn't the greatest chapter but I'm slowly getting myself back in the groove. Again, thanks so much for waiting and hanging on! I appreciate it deeply TT_TT

-

It was late at night and Moonbyul had been staring at the blank screen of her phone for the past couple of hours, contemplating on whether or not she should send a text message to the new person in her contacts.

"Should I or should I not,"  she thought.

*Ding*

All Moonbyul saw was the sudden brightness coming from her phone getting a notification before she felt the impact of said item on her face.

"Ahhh! Dammit!," she said as she rubbed the bridge of her nose which unfortunately took the hit.

After sooking and whining a little more, she finally reached out for her mobile which bounced just right next to her shoulder. She squinted her eyes as she waited for them to focus on what appears to be a text notification.

Krystal: Hey! You owe me a message but I felt like you're taking your time to pay it off so I thought it was a good idea to remind you about it? ;)

Moonbyul's heart started to pound as she began typing up a message.

Moonbyul: Hi! Sorry, I guess I was shy. I just -

"Ugh. Nope lame," she said to herself and cleared the whole text to start it all over again.

Moonbyul: Hi! Too impatient, are you? ;) -

"What the. That's too cocky. She might think I'm full of myself or something," she said out loud and re-did the whole message.

Moonbyul: Hey you. Here's my payment then. :) -

"Too short. No game at all."

Moonbyul: Yo... -

"Since when have I become so gangster?"

Moonbyul: Hey, I guess it took me a while because…. THIS IS MY ING 44TH TIME TRYING TO COME UP WITH SOMETHING TO SAY AND I ALWASKNCAKCNS-

"What is wrong with me?! I can write lyrics to a song and I can't even compose a bloody text message that would probably consist of less than 15 words. UGH!"

Moonbyul groaned in frustration then breathed in and started typing away on her phone, yet again.

Moonbyul: Hi! Sorry, does this mean my interest has been accumulating  too? :)

She re-read the message and rolled her eyes at how much she's been overthinking a simple text. Her thumb hovered above the clear button for a second before she moved it further down and hit the send button instead. She sighed and waited for a reply.

*Ding*

The rapper impressed herself at how quickly she picked her phone up, she was so sure even Flash would be so proud of her.

Krystal: Haha yup! Now you have to keep our conversation going!

She has no freaking idea what the hell is going on but she's not going to say no to talking to her ultimate girl crush so Moon Byulyi rolled up her invisible long sleeves before replying.

Moonbyul: Game on!

-

*Yawn* Moonbyul rubbed her eyes and felt them burning as soon as she closed them.

"Someone's got a late night. What's been keeping you up?," Wheein said with a playful smile before bringing her attention back to her food.

They have been busy writing and recording for their full album and every member seem to be growing more and more exhausted so they decided to get something to eat.

"You mean who," the maknae added, not once taking her eyes off the small feast in front of her.

Solar looked at the second eldest in the group, as if waiting for a response. At first, Moonbyul thought she saw a change in the glow of the leader's eyes but decided it was probably just the lights doing the tricks.

"It was nothing. I just couldn't sleep," Moonbyul shrugged.

She doesn't know why she just didn't say anything about Krystal; they would've gone crazy over it. But for some reason, she couldn't bear to say it out loud with Solar being in the room. It's not like they're together or anything, but it felt like as if she was betraying her and her own feelings. Going behind her back.

"Are you okay?," Solar asked with the utmost sincerity in her voice Moonbyul swore she should be cursed by the heavens for omitting the truth from this angel.

"Yeah," she faked a smile.

*Ding* *Ding* *Ding* Moonbyul's notifications came in one after another.

"No wonder she can't sleep," Hwasa said.

Solar looked at the former then back to Moonbyul who was obviously trying her best to fight back a smile while going through her messages. Suddenly, she didn't feel like eating tteokbokki anymore.

-

"Yah! You're not even paying attention to me!"

"Ah, sorry Wheein-ah," Moonbyul offered her hamster smile as an apology, hoping it'll get her out of trouble.

"Who have you been messaging anyway? You have been glued to your phone nowadays," Wheein asked as she went through the lyrics they had been writing together.

"No one," the older girl replied abruptly.

Wheein just looked at her with a straight face, obviously seeing through the blatant lie.

"Just a friend."

Wheein raised an eyebrow.

"Oh my god."

Wheein raised her eyebrow higher.

"Really, it's no one."

Wheein put her index finger  on her eyebrow and physically had to push it higher .

"My eyebrow couldn't go any higher than this so please just spill the beans."

Moonbyul sighed, took out her phone, and handed it over to the younger girl. The latter took the gadget and looked at it, her eyes growing increasingly wide every fraction of a second.

"What the f-"

"Yup."

-

"How did you even manage that?!," Wheein asked still in utter disbelief.

The two members decided to take a breather and walked around the company lot.

Moonbyul smirked and shrugged as if saying 'cause I'm Moonbyul and I'm awesome to which Wheein rolled her eyes at.

"Seriously though," Wheein pressed.

"Well I was just taking a stroll the other day and I ran into her, quite literally, I should add," Moonbyul started. "And then to cut the long story short, she gave me her number and I apparently owed her a message for smashing the screen of her phone because she dropped it when I hit her."

"Wasn't that her fault for not looking?"

"… hmm," Moonbyul thought about it but continued, "I mean I wasn't looking too, so…"

Wheein shrugged. "I guess... So you've been constantly in touch with each other?"

"Eversince then? Yeah."

Wheein raised her eyebrows and nodded.

"What?," Moonbyul asked.

"What?," the main vocal shot back.

"You have that look on your face."

"I don't know what you're talking about."

"That look! As if you know something I don't; or that you find something interesting."

"Do you find something interesting? Or someone maybe?"

"What do you mean?"

"Do you like her, LIKE her?," Wheein asked.

Moonbyul stopped at her tracks, looked at her friend who seemed to not take silence for an answer, and blinked. Once. Twice. Then looked back at the road and continued walking.

"Dunno."

-

"Oh my god, Hwasa is the hero that the world needs but not what it deserves," Krystal said as she laughed at the story Moonbyul told her; during that time when Solar couldn't kill the roaches in their old apartment so the maknae would do it for her.

Moonbyul nodded and laughed with her as she fiddled with the straw of her drink, still feeling a little bit shy, and was afraid to look up at the warmth hidden behind the icy eyes of the girl in front of her.

They both decided it's time to actually talk more in person so despite their busy schedule, they worked out the perfect date and place.

There was an awkward silence that followed the laughter but Krystal made the effort to break it.

"I secretly look your videos up on the internet."

Moonbyul shot her head up too quick she thought her neck would break. "Really?"

"Yeah, I've been hearing about your group's great vocal line so I looked it up one day and I just found myself getting into the Mamamoo hole."

"Ah. Well, that's all thanks to the three power vocals," Moonbyul said, sporting a sad smile. She's always thought that she didn't belong there; that the group could do so much more had she not been part of it.

"And to the awesome rapper they have," Krystal responded.

"I thought you're meant to be the ice queen."

"And I thought you were meant to be a super cool bean."

The two girls looked at each other and started smiling.

"Do you liked, LIKE her?," Wheein asked.

"I do."

"Huh?," Krystal looked at the other girl, confusion apparent on her face.

"I like you."

"…"

"…"

"I like you too."