Eleven

Reality

He giggled, “Nothing, just looking at you.” I placed my books into my bag. “I thought you’re making a prank on me?” he broke the ice as I locked my locker.

“Why?”

“The first number of your locker indicates on which floor it will be. The 2nd & 3rd number are the indicator of the owner’s gender.” I nodded at him as we walked down the quiet, empty hallway.

“What amuse me was, your 2nd & 3rd number is odd which shows that it’s a guy’s. I realized it when your locker was next to the boys’ toilet.” I giggled to his confuse look.

“Well, I requested for the locker for 2 reasons. First, most of my classes are on 2nd floor and it’s bigger than usual since I’m taking extra classes. Lots of book will be in my possession.”

Later on, Brian asked if I already had my breakfast. I told him I didn’t have any and I’m on my way to the cafeteria. “Great! I pack extra this morning & I knew my instincts well.” He winked playfully.

He took me to the science’s club flower garden and we went around for a look. I was totally amazed over the bloomed flowers. I took a closer look on each species of the flowers until I saw Brian on his knee on my right with a bunch of flowers.

“You didn’t pick this from the garden, didn’t you?” he winked and I inhale the fresh smell of the flowers. “Well, I guess that will be our dirty little secret then.” We laughed.

“Eucharis, gypsophila & gladiolus? These are gorgeous though.” I told him.

He told me that the flowers suit me well. “And smells good too. I didn’t know you’re good with flowers.” A guy like him would be a swoon over girls. “You should be thankful to have me! My mom is a botanist, you know how it is.”

We walked along the narrow pathway that made our arm brushed each other’s. I was surprised with the sandwich pack on the picnic table. Well, it wasn’t much, but I just amazed.

“Hailey, do you have any allergy to meat? Specifically?” he asked as he sat in front of me.”Are you serious? I don’t have any allergy to any meat! I’m just allergic to feathers.”

“Before that, here is your phone.” I passed to him. He took my phone from his jacket pocket and handed it to me too. “I’m gonna miss using your phone.” He sighed. What on earth, Brian?!

He hand me the grilled chicken sandwich with bacon. This thing, sure thing is delicious. “Is it delicious?” he asked. I nodded and wiped the extra mayonnaise dripped from the side of my mouth.

“I made it ... well I help my mom with it.” He rubbed his nape.

“What did you do?” I raised my eyebrow at him.

“I helped her by tasting the food.” I throw the empty paper bag at him and we both silently laughed. After the great breakfast, we both drifted back to our own classes after having breakfast surrounding with fresh flower fragrance.

“I was looking for you ...” Jooheon’s tone changed as he saw the flowers in my hand. “Where did you go? No! Who gave you that?” he pointed.

I sniffed back the flowers and smiled at him. “Yah! Tell me, who was it!” I placed the flowers in my locker. “Do you have any empty, unused bottle?” he sighed and went to his locker that was just across mine.

I filled the bottle with a quarter filled with my drinking water and placed the flowers stem in. I look back at grumpy Jooheon, “Brian. He gave it to me.” I locked back my locker.

He raised both his eyebrows to me, “He gave it to you? Wait, you guys already met each other?” I giggled at him. “I’d be really happy to answer that but we have classes to go now. And, Jooheon, you really sounds like Jaehwa now.” I pinched his milky, smooth cheek.

I had my class as usual with History, Language and others. I stretched myself during the 5 minute break before the school bell rang  as the end of school hours. “Hailey, the teacher wants you to stay after the school for a while. She’ll wait for you at the conference room.” One of my classmates told me.

I organized which book to keep in the locker and which to bring home together with me. “Hailey, I can’t walk home together with you today. I have my national Judo try-out at the school gym.” Jaehwa swing her back on her back.

“I can’t too. I have the tutor thing today. And we both know that we literally have no idea when it’ll end.” I walked with her outside of the class. We hugged each other and separated in different ways since the gym is on the other side of the building.

I kept some books in the locker and placed my notebooks with homework into my bag. I bid goodbye to Jooheon as I saw him walked pass me. “I’ll tell you soon, okay? Bye, cutie!” and he made the kku kku kka kka aegyo after we waved goodbye.

I walk down the hallway and pass the left wing staircase right beside the conference room. “Hailey! Right on time!” I bowed and slightly surprise as the teacher greets me using the microphone.

I sat next to Lim Jung Jae, the guy who held the title of the head department of physics. “Hi, Hailey!” he greeted. “Hey, Jung Jae. Did I miss anything?”

“Not much. The teacher just told that they’ll announce the mentee. The results are random though.” We both shrugged and listened to the mini briefing. I can’t pay attention since there are constant students entering the room and blocking my view to the screen.

“So, these are the mentors that will assist you for the chosen subjects.” The teacher begins the slideshow with our photo, name, class, respected field and major subjects rank. And why do they have to show the rank?!

I grunted and leaned to the chair, “Can’t concentrate?” Jung Jae asked. I blew bangs and look at him in emotionless. “Who else will be the tutors? Since, I can’t even see in front of me.” I asked him in curiosity.

“All subjects head department expert for art, music and social studies. Plus, this includes the top scorers of some subjects that will be you and other 9 other students if I’m not mistaken.”

My eyes just went rounded and looked at him in total surprised, “Wow!”

“I know right. I heard it’s one of the school’s project and I didn’t expect it would be like this.” He softly sighed. When everyone seated, I whispered to him last question, “By the way, is that the mentee that we’ll be having each one of us?” I pointed at the front seat.

He nods and I gulped.

Few minutes later, all 20 tutors were called to the front and have ourselves a medium thick booklet. “After you have your mentee name, you are required to fill the profile form for the respected tutor and mentee.  You have to mark their progress on their worksheet, write a weekly report and make sure that their examinations have a progress’.

To any mentee doing a great progress will earn credit or higher for their mannerism & etiquette in their school’s diploma. As for tutors, you’ll earn the school’s high distinction certificate. There are certain tutor will have 2 mentees due to one subject to tutor on.

This booklet also includes dates of the school events that may clash with your tutoring day. All of the dates have been confirmed so far. If there’ll be changes I’ll a notice.

Your teacher’s contact number and email are also included inside if you have anything to ask or still confuse to how handle this. Any questions so far?” the teacher looked at every one of us.

I flipped the booklet in one go. Looks like, I have a lot of stuff to fill while having the tutoring session. “If there are no questions, I’ll proceed with the pairings.

We sat back at our seat and start filing the tutor form. Well, the form literally asking on my full profile. I softly sighed and then I heard my name paired with Kang Young Hyun. I got a male mentee? This gonna be hard.

Who is Kang Young Hyun? I placed the booklet into my back and pulled my organizer to check on certain dates. “Hi, Jung Hailey!” I slowly looked up and leaned back in surprise.

“Brian? Young Hyun?” I called him with that two different names. He giggled and pulled a seat in front of me, “Did I tell you I was born in Canada?”

“I guess you didn’t.” I crossed my arms. He told me Brian is his English name and teachers in this school mostly called him with this name. “You’re all dismissed.” The teacher clicked the off button on the microphone.

We both walked outside, “I didn’t know you’ll be my mentee.” He smiled at me. “I didn’t ... hold on! Aren’t you in the special class? The special class for active athletes?”

He gave a thin smile, “I applied for a public class before I went to Russia and it was approved. But, my current marks on my major subjects are not that strong to keep me in the class.”

I nodded, “Well, we could arrange the class. And I’ll help with the subject. What is the subject that you need me as your tutor with?” He stopped our track.

“I was assigned to get help with maths but can you help me with physics and history too?” he talked slowly. I nods at him and I’ll try my best with it.

We both waved goodbye and head back to our home. I was glad to have my phone back. I took the bus to aunt’s house. I told Jaehwa & Jooheon in our group chat and they were extremely happy about the both great news.

Well, you’re match made in heaven with Brian. – J

Yeah, I thought so, Jooheon. I’m so jealous with both of you! – J 


Hey guys, I hope this update would give another surprise to all of you. In these few days, I couldn't give an update because I'll be going to Singapore. But, don't be sad. I'll write as I came back. Soon. Leave some comments below and do upvote. xoxo