Chapter 4

My Enemy’s Enemy is my friend

Mina wakes up with a headache, she tries to remember how she goes back last night, but her headache is too much for her so she stops thinking. I cried to much last night, Mina thinks to herself as she climbs out of bed and heads to the bathroom. She brushes her teeth and goes to get dresses. She opens her closet and sees that her shoes were neatly packed; her mom must have reorganized them. Mina hears a knock on the door, and her mom pops her head through the door. “Mina! You are up! I thought you would sleep in today?” Her mom asks as she comes in and sits down on the bed. Mina looks at her mom confused. “But I have work!” Mina says. “I already called Doctor Kim this morning saying you are sick.” Her mom pats the space next to her, telling Mina to come. Once Mina sits down, her mom hugs her. “Darling, I am so sorry about what happened with that Hosung last night.” Mina stiffens surprised that her mom heard about it already. “That man who helped you explained everything to us; He even carried you to your bed and wouldn’t leave until he felt that you were ok.” Oh… That’s what happened;she remembers falling asleep in the taxi. Mina wonders what exactly he told her parents.“Too bad he didn’t leave a name.’ her mom continues, “We won’t be able to thank him, it’s so rare to have such polite and helpful people these days. Like the other day on the news there was someone who was attacked also but not a single bystander helped that person. You are so lucky a bystander like him was there.” Then it all makes sense. Chanyeol just said he was a bystander, who he is but strangely Mina felt a little disappointed. “Mina…” Her mom says suddenly, her tone becoming serious. “Your dad and I are so sorry we didn’t do our research properly, and as a result put you in danger. If something had happened to you, we don’t know what we would have done.” Mina smiles weakly, “its ok mom, it wasn’t your fault either.” Her mom gives her one last squeeze before leaving. Mina lies down on her bed, a few moments there is another knock on the door. Mina smiles as she recognizes the knock, a secret knock that her sister had come up with. “Come in!” She says a smile still on her face. Her sister comes in and jumps onto the bed and snuggles up next to her. Mina laughs, “Untie, you are acting like the younger one right now.” Her sisters pretend to hit her, “You shouldn’t talk to your elders like that!” she laughs and Mina joins in. When the laughter dies down; her sister rolls around onto her stomach and props herself up on her elbows. She pokes Mina’s side a couple of times, “So… who was that guy yesterday…” She says with a suspicious smile. ‘Just a bystander who helped me.” Mina answers so that her story corresponds with Chanyeol’s. “Don’t lie to me! The little sister I know would never let an enemy just take her home like that, much less fall asleep around one.” Mina keeps quiet; Mina doesn’t know why she had let her guard down. “He is also a patient at the clinic.” Mina adds on second thought. Her sister smiles mysteriously, “Sure.” She says sarcastically. Her sister turns around yet again, this time onto her side. “Mina… when are you going to stop this war of yours.” She asks seriously. “What are you talking about?” Mina feigns innocence, even though she knows exactly what her sister is talking about. “You know what I am talking about! I know this all began because of what happened to me. But it has already been two years since then, I am ok now. You shouldn’t limit yourself like this ok?” Her sister says as concern is written all over her face. The two of then suddenly turn to face the door, “I think mom is calling for you, unnie.” Mina says as she distinctly hearing her mom calling. Her sister sighs as she rolls off the bed “Coming!” She says as she messes with Mina’s hair before she gets off the bed.

Mina gets up and decided to take a bath. She watched the water fill the bathtub as she thinks of the even two years ago. Her sister, Minji, had fallen in love with the college prince named Kwangmin. The two spent almost all their time together. Mina never saw her sister so happy, especially when Minji announced that she was getting married. This announcement surprised everyone because they had only been dating for six months at the time. But everyone could see that Minji was happy so everyone happily accepted their marriage. The next year was filled with wedding plans; the dress, the cakes, bridesmaids, guests, venues, the whole package. And before they knew it, it was the day of the wedding.  Minji was busy getting ready when the wedding planner popped in and asked if Minji knew where Kwangmin or the best men were. Minji said she doesn’t know, but she asked Mina to give him a call. Mina tried to call but it went to voicemail. Despite this, Minji still wanted to go ahead as planned believing he was just preparing a surprise for her. The wedding guests were getting restless and so Mina decides to call Kwangmin one last time. It rings for what feels like eternity but there is a click at the call finally connects. Before Mina has a chance to say anything Kwangmin spoke. “Tell her I’m not coming. Don’t call me again.” Is all he said before he hung up, leaving Mina speechless.

Her heart filled with dread as she went to tell her sister what Kwangmin had said. To Mina’s surprise, Minji seemed to take it well. Mina held her sister’s hand as she walked down the aisle in silence, no merry wedding track playing. Mina held her sister’s hand tighter as she explains to the guest what had happened. Minji decided to still go ahead and have the reception which was already prepared. But there were no celebrations; just awkward silence or harsh whispers and gossip. That night, while Mina was walking toward her room she heard soft sobs coming from her sister’s room, she somehow felt relieved to see her sister finally reacting like a normal person would. Mina knocked on the door before quietly letting herself in and sitting down besides her sister. Mina began rubbing comforting circles on her sister’s back as her sisters sobs grew louder. For the first time that day, Mina felt raw anger and hatred towards Kwangmin. Throughout the day Mina kept coming up with different excuses for Kwangmin, but when she saw her sister curled up in a ball, looking so small. Mina stopped making excuses and allowed herself to feel the anger. She vowed that she will never trust someone like Kwangmin again.

A few months later, Minji recovered enough to start going back into the normal routine of life. At the same time she started looking for answers. Why had Kwangmin left her that day? Wanting to protect her sister from getting heart the second time; Mina decided to contact the only other person who was not present at the wedding, the best man. What he told her that day shifted Mina’s life on a different path. The best man revealed that Kwangmin was originally planning on quitting college and inheriting Mina’s family business. But Kwangmin had got a call the night before the wedding from a friend. The friend had told Kwangmin that he would not be able to take over Mina’s family business. Mina’s family didn’t produce a male heir; therefore the business will be succeeded by Mina’s cousin. Enraged that he was never told this, Kwangmin decided to call of the wedding, because there was no point in going ahead with it. The best man also revealed that Kwangmin had been seeing other girls during the duration of his relationship with Minji. For the first time in Mina’s life, she wanted kill someone. When Mina asked where Kwangmin was, the best man says that he doesn’t know the whereabouts of Kwangmin ever since the best man had cut off ties with Kwangmin. The Best man ends up apologizing for his former friend before excusing himself.

It took a long time before Mina gathered up the courage to tell her sister the truth. Mina felt her heart breaking each time a tear would silently fall down her sister’s cheek. It was then when Mina decided to never trust the enemy every again.