Chapter 11

My Enemy’s Enemy is my friend

The next morning Mina was woken up by the Minji alarm. Also known as her sister waking her up by singing some pop song as horrible off tune as inhumanly possible.

“You better get up now or else we won’t get done!”

Mina rolls over and shoves her head between two pillows.

Minji laughs “If this is how you are going to be…”

Mina is pulled out and off her bed with some mammoth force and dragged into the bathroom.

Minji shoves a toothbrush into Mina’s face, “brush.” The rest of the morning passes that way with Mina still barely awake. Minji brushes, plucks, and paints. Mina describes it as paint because Minji managed to transform Mina’s face into some sort of art. She could barely even recognize herself even though it was a natural styled make up. As if on cue, the doorbell rings and Minji pushes a bag into Mina’s hand before shoving her out of the front door and straight into Chanyeol. Chanyeol manages to catch Mina and puts his arms around her, pulling her into his embrace. “Thank you very much.” Chanyeol smiles to Minji as he lifts Mina off the ground and carries her in his arms to the car. Chanyeol puts her into his car before he jogs to the other side.

“You didn’t need to do that!” Mina says her heart beating uncontrollably, what is this feeling?

Chanyeol laughs, “Hey! I’m your boyfriend remember!” he says as he looks over at Mina. “Are you ok? Your face is so red! Don’t tell me you’re afraid of heights!?”

Mina snaps out of her trance as she hits his arms, “As if.”

“Great! I’m sure you would like this then.” Chanyeol says as he point to the huge rollercoaster that looms in front of them. Mina smiles as gets off of the car the moment Chanyeol parked the car. “Let’s go!” Mina says as she grabs Chanyeol’s hand to make him walk faster.

“I never thought I would see you acting like a child!” Chanyeol comments as he adjust to her fast pace.

“Roller coasters are life.” Mina says as she charges ahead to get a place in the line for the main attraction.

“I see you are going for the big one!”

“Of course!” Mina says.

They stand in silence for a few minutes, Mina looks around and that is when she notices her hand in Chanyeol’s. She immediately retracts her hand.

“Don’t look at me like that! You are the one who held my hand first.” Chanyeol says with his hands up.

Mina vaguely recalls grabbing his hand and she can feel her face heat up.

“Are you ok? Your face it getting red again? Are you ok?” Chanyeol says.

Before Mina has a chance to respond, a loud “Next!” is heard as the attendant glares at Mina and Chanyeol.

They are strapped into place and soon they are off, Mina can feel her heart get flung around in her chest but then again it’s been doing that a lot recently, especially around a certain person. They play nonstop, going from one stop to the next. When they have finally gone on every ride at least once; they collapse onto a nearby bench to catch their breath. They take one look at each other, hair going in all direction and laughed hoarsely after all the screaming they did.

“Come on! I have one last place I want us to go.” Chanyeol says as he reaches out his hand. Mina only hesitates for a millisecond before she grabs his hand and the two of them went off, with Chanyeol leading the adventure.

A tall boy and a girl stand in front of a large arcade, animated noises and cheers drifting out of the open doors, blasting them with cool air conditioned air.

“This is it?” Mina asks, giving Chanyeol a doubtful look.

“I always wanted to go in here the first time I saw it when I was 12, but I never had the chance until now… I swore to myself I would come here at least once!”

“You wanted to come here for over a decade?” Mina laughs, “I thought you would have achieved it by now!”

Chanyeol grins sheepishly, “I’m telling you, it’s not a normal arcade!”

“I never really went to arcades.” Mina says with a small smile as she see’s Chanyeol’s shocked expression out of the corner of her eye.

“Tell me you’re joking!” Chanyeol says disbelief threaded in his voice. “So you never played arcade games?”

Mina laughs as the two talk though the door, “Not like these…” Mina says brushing her fingers against the back of the noisy machines.

“I’ll go easy on you.” Chanyeol says with a grin showing his teeth as he exchanges some coins for tokens. Mina’s heart jumps a little, for a moment Mina thought that Chanyeol looked perfect. She scolds herself reminding herself of the enemy’s trick, but it scared her that she doesn’t think of Chanyeol as the enemy anymore. She isn’t sure, what he is to her.

“Mina!” Hearing her name brings her back to the present, she turns to Chanyeol who is waiting for her at the game. She pushes her thoughts out of her head as she heads over with a smile.

A couple of hours later…

“Seriously???” A deep voice can be heard in the noisy room, frustration can be clearly heard. “This is like the fiftieth time!” Chanyeol says as he jams the controller into place.

“You’re going easy on me; that is why I’m winning…” Mina tries to stifle her laugh as she tries to console Chanyeol. They have been playing countless games and Chanyeol has yet to win a single one.

“I stopped doing that after the first game…” Chanyeol grumbles sulkingly.

Mina laughs, even though he was sulking, it was somehow cute. “Come on, let’s just play one more game and then we’ll get something to eat.”

Chanyeol perks up at the prospect of leaving this battle ground where he was clearly only going to lose.

 “You’re paying!” Chanyeol laughs.

“Sure, if you beat me in this last game.” Mina giggles, “I’ll even let you choose the game.” Mina adds for good measure.

“Deal!” Determination dancing in his eyes.

Chanyeol goes around the large arcade, scanning the entire floor, looking for the perfect last game. He laughs out loud when he spots the perfect game he is already seated when Mina caught up with him.

“You promise right?” Chanyeol asks gleefully.

“Yeah…” Mina replies faking boredom, rolling her eyes.

Chanyeol smirks as he puts the token into the slot.

The music starts…

 

“YYYYYEEEEEAAAAAAASSSSHHHH!”

Mina groans.  “You did that on purpose!” Mina accuses.

“Who was the one who said I could choose the game?” Chanyeol says innocently.

Mina hit’s him on the arm, a playful warning. Chanyeol pretends to be hurt and the two look at each other before bursting into loud joyful laughter for no reason.

The two go to a nearby family restaurant. Chanyeol almost orders the entire menu, much to Mina’s horror, but a deal is a deal. Chanyeol still somehow manages to finish everything.

“Did you enjoy today?” Chanyeol asks as he puts a spoonfuls of cold ice cream into his mouth savoring the cool creamy lump melt on his tongue.

Mina thinks for a moment before smiling widely, “Definitely!”

Chanyeol grins, “I am sure it’s nothing compared to those fancy dinners.” He teases.

Mina glares at him before she grabbed his spoon and stole his ice cream. Chanyeol protested but made no effort to get his ice cream back.

“Thank you…” Mina says suddenly between spoons of ice cream.

Chanyeol smiles, it was one of those that Mina loves the most, “Anytime.” He says as he steals the spoon back.

In the end Chanyeol insisted on paying for the meal, despite Mina’s protesting, but Chanyeol enlisted the help of the cashier to convince Mina, leaving Mina with no ally and so she reluctantly let Chanyeol pay. Chanyeol drives her home, the sit in a comfortable silence, with Chanyeol sometimes humming a random tune. They arrive at her house; they walk up the short path leading towards the house. Chanyeol pauses suddenly, grabbing Mina and wrapping his long arms around her. He was so close, she inhales his scent with every breathe she takes. It was something so distinct to Chanyeol, hard to describes, but one word pops into Mina’s head – happiness. “Thank you.” Chanyeol whispers into her ear before letting her go and walking back down the path to his car. Mina watches the car drive off. I wonder what that was about. She thinks to herself, she turns back and sees a shadow move away from the window and it made sense, the embrace wasn’t for her, it was for appearances, for her family. Mina felt a stab in her heart, a bitter taste in and felt her eyes sting. Something wasn’t right, Mina could feel it; this is not how it is suppose to be.