Chapter 14

My Enemy’s Enemy is my friend

Mina forces her way out of Chanyeol’s arms, pushing the Blankets aside. She almost trips on something on the floor, but she manages to right herself. She reaches the bedroom door, when she turns to look at the sleeping figure on the bed, undisturbed by her action. A mixture of pain, fear and regret blend in a murky brown emotion that left Mina feeling more confused, but one thing for sure, is the sleeping giant is threatening everything she believes in, turning her world upside down.

The sky was still a midnight blue when Mina rushes out of the apartment, the door gently closing softly behind her. Luckily the early buses have started running again and she should be able to get back easily. She opens the door to her house, she storms up the stairs at such a pace she almost bumped into Minji who was coming down to get some water.

“You’re back? How was the wedding?” She says rubbing her eyes, “I thought you were staying at Chanyeol’s place tonight?”

Hearing that name stirred up those complicated emotions within Mina. With an emotionless expression she brushes past her sister, “We broke up.” Barely comes out like a whisper as Mina breaks into a run and slams her bedroom door behind her.

The next morning Mina didn’t get up from her bed, she sent Dr Kim a message saying she was sick, which is a lie, but technically she was sick, sick of life. She buried her face into her pillow. Her sister and mother had come in throughout the morning quietly; her sister came to ask her what she wanted to eat, while her mother just her head gently. Even her father gave her a small smile when she decided to come down for dinner. In the late evening she finally gathered to courage to look at her phone. There were several messages for Yeji, asking to call her and asking Mina is she was ok. The last message was from Chanyeol, thanking her for being at the wedding and also telling her to come over later after work. But Mina didn’t go to work that day, and there was no way she was going back there. She pretended that she never saw the message in the first place.

She didn’t answer the call that came later that night. Nor did she reply to the messages that followed. Nor did she answer the ones that came the following days. The messages turned from friendly to concerned, to worried, to slightly angry, demanding a reason for her silence. Yeji became Mina’s lookout if Chanyeol showed up at Dr Kim’s clinic, she would take over and Mina would successfully avoid him. Eventually Chanyeol stopped coming, but the messages still persisted.

Chanyeol: Why?

Chanyeol: Why won’t you reply?

Chanyeol: Did I do something?

Chanyeol: I’m sorry if I did.

Chanyeol: I thought we had a deal? :[

Mina switches off her phone and heads downstairs for dinner. Her mom smiles as she hands Mina a bowl of rice. The four eat in a comfortable silence.

“I got an invitation for your cousin’s wedding today.” Mina’s mom comments.

Minji jumps up gleefully and starts doing a little dance while deciding what she would wear to the wedding. While their parent get into a discussion about the groom and his family, her cousin had met the groom at a blind date.

“I’ll go.” Mina says calmly, causing her whole family to stop what they were doing and turn towards Mina.

“Of course you’re going to the wedding honey!” Mina’s mom laughs.

Mina shakes her head, “I mean a blind date.”

“Really?” Her mom asks calmly while she tries to hide her excitement.

Chanyeol stares at his phone, scrolling through the hundreds of messages that he had sent to Mina which she chose to ignore. He ruffles his hair in frustration; he locks the phone and throws it on the bed. “I don’t know what I did wrong!!!” he yells to no one in particular.

A soft ping alert Chanyeol to a new message. He eagerly scrambles to grab his phone, hoping that there is a message from Mina, but is disappointed to find a message from an unknown number.

-It’s Yeji, Mina’s friend. I looked up your number from the contacts in the clinic, I hope you don’t mind, but it is important. It’s about Mina, I don’t really know what happened between you guys, but I know something happened. Mina actually asked to go on a blind date. I thought you should know, I’m worried, but she won’t listen to me.

The message included a time, date, and restaurant. Chanyeol breaks out into a panic when he notices the date and time. It was in about half an hour, it would take him forty from where he was, and that is if there was no traffic. Chanyeol grabs his Jacket and car keys and jogs to his car.

Mina looks at the guy sitting opposite to her, doing the typical analysis, it’s has been a while. He was average looking, a few years older than her, he was friendly, but his nerves are getting to him. He had a normal job as an office worker, steady hours and steady income. Mina smiles when as he tells her about a mistake he made at work. He was ok, Mina could accept him, maybe see a normal married life. But it wouldn’t be the same as -. Mina stops her thought, pushing back thought of him into the deeper parts of her mind. The meal finished peacefully and the two head for the door. The man opens the door, motioning for Mina to go through first.

“Ladies first.” He says nervously as his voice goes a little higher.

“Thank you.” Mina smiles at him when something or someone blindsides her. She almost falls but her date manages to catch her and steadies her. The person, who had just stormed through the door, mutters an apology his eyes flitting over the pair before he did a double take.

“Mina?” Chanyeol gasps, his deep voice sounded strangled as he looked at Mina and her date.

“Chanyeol?” Mina whispers, a bit a fear laced in the soft sound.

Chanyeol softens for a moment before angry courses though his mind, he glares at the other male before he grabs Mina’s arm and pulls her away from him and pulls her towards an empty hallway.

“What are you doing?” Chanyeol growls.

Mina bites her lip, looking away from Chanyeol’s angry eyes. Chanyeol sighs, grabbing Mina’s shoulders, forcing her to look at him. “Mina!” Mina flinches before she tries to shrug him off, Chanyeol sighs as he returns his hands to his side.

“I don’t know what’s going on, but…” Chanyeol looks away running as he readjusts his cap. “I’ll bring you home, and-“

“No.” Mina says in a soft whisper.

“What?” Chanyeol laughs, “Are you serious?”

“I think I can like this one, he’s kind, stable life…” Mina says, her voice trailing off towards the end.

Chanyeol stares at her in disbelief, “Stop joking! Let just get out of here.”

“I don’t need your help.” Mina says while she keeps her eyes pinned to her shoes.

“Is that so?” Chanyeol says hurt visibily shoots through his body. Mina nods slowly, her eyes not leaving her shoes. Chanyeol gives her one more look, urging her to look up and tell him it’s a lie, but her eyes remain pinned to the floor.

“Fine.” Chanyeol says, giving up as he storms out of the building. Mina looks up at Chanyeol’s retreating figure, she can’t help but hope he would turn back, but he doesn’t as he disappears from her sight. Mina managed to hold in her tears as she watches his retreating figure.


Author Note: Hello! This Chapter was really late...