Chapter 16

My Enemy’s Enemy is my friend

By the time Chanyeol got back to his house Mina was already gone.

He had tried to call her but it only went to voice mail. It was not surprising considering the way things were between them. He still needs to tell her the truth; even if it end up destroying the little bit of their relationship that still remains. Chanyeol sighs as he tries to calling her again with no change. He grabs a cap and his keys and head out to Dr Kim’s clinic; she should be working today anyways. He jogs up the stair, He grabs the door handle when he notices the darks interior and then the small closed sign hanging on the door. Frowning, he turns to leave when he hears the bell on the door jingle and then the sound of keys. He spins around to see Yeji coming out of the clinic.

“Hey!” Chanyeol says as he jogs to Yeji. “Do you know where Mina is?”

Yeji pauses for a second before she turns around, “You haven’t heard?” She says slowly.

“Heard what?” Chanyeol asks, as he reaches his hand to his jaw.

“She left with Dr Kim on an outreach program.” Yeji says, “That’s why the clinic will be closed for a while. If you need a consultation, I am sure Dr Kim’s secretary sent out emails directing his clients to his successor.” Yeji continues her eyes wide and confused.

“No, I’m looking for Mina…” Chanyeol says shaking his head.

Yeji frowns.

“Do you know where she is?”

“Some mountain, I was told to keep this information to myself.” Yeji says apologetically, “Mina made me promise.”

Chanyeol gives a weak smile, “And her phone…?”

“Doesn’t get good reception up there. I think they will be making weekly treks to the lower mountains to get more supplies, but that’s about it.” Yeji says. Silence falls between them. “I don’t know what is going on between you guys, but please don’t give up on Mina, You may not know this, but I have seen the small changes over the past few months that she has known you.”

Chanyeol nods weakly as he tried to think of what his next step will be.

 

The air is so much fresher in the mountain, Mina smiles as she breathes in deeply, filling her lungs with the clean air.

“Mina, it’s about time we go to the next village.”  Dr Kim says he packs the last few boxes into the van.

“Yes~” Mina answers as she gets into the car with other volunteers. They were going around the different farming communities that live in places where there is limited health care and giving free consultations and fixing what they can. It was a nice job, especially when it was time for the children. All the volunteers were busy all the time, Mina barely had time to really think and for that she was thankful. The next village was about a 40 minute drive though winding mountain terrain. The next village was one of the bigger ones that they are planning on visiting and so they were also staying here for a longer time. The bus finally rolled to a stop and everyone got out and went to unload the supplies. On her second trip she grabbed one of the bigger boxes that she could barely see over, but it was one of the lighter boxes. She was so focused on not tripping she bumped into one of the locals, causing her the drop the box.

“I’m so sorry.” Mina says apologizing as she stares at her feet.

‘Lim Mina?” A voice that sounded vaguely familiar. Mina looks up and her jaw almost drops, it couldn’t be… He was a lot more tanned than she remembers, he clothes mudding from working in the fields. It was the enemy that started it all…

“You are… Won-?” Mina asks as her memory fails her.

“Hosung.” He finished with a smile.

Mina bites her lip, feeling awkward.

“Do you want me to help you with that?” Hosung asks pointing at the box lying between them.

“No it’s fine.” Mina says, snapping back to reality, “It’s not heavy.” She picks it up and pushes past him.

To her horror, he continues to follow her, “You know… I always wanted to apologize for my behavior when we first met.” Hosung says as Mina sets down the box. Mina turns around and narrows her eyes at Hosung. “I know it was a horrible thing to do.” He says looking down at the boxes. Mina turns on her heels and heads for the door. “But you know I’ve changed.” Hosung continues, “Being here and all.” He says gesturing to the mountain surrounding them. Mina turns around to face him, “and what do you want from me?” Mina asks.

Hosung is taken aback but he manages to recover and smiles, ‘Can you give me another chance?” Mina frowns, Hosung quickly adds, “As friends! I mean as friends. I mean it has been a while since there has been someone who was remotely close to my age around here, and I would… I would appreciate some company… as friends of course.” Hosung says looking away.

Mina narrows her eyes, but looking at his tanned skin and rough hands, she saw the changes; the Hosung she knew would never have gotten his hands dirty. Besides, they weren’t even going to be here for too long. “Sure…” Mina finally says, “But only friends.” She adds for good measures.

“Of course!” Hosung adds, a smile spreading on his face. “I really am sorry about before.” He says as he follows her as she heads back to the car to grab supplies. When the supplies where all unloaded, everyone started getting up their stations; somewhere during this time Hosung disappears into the crowd who has come to get checkups. Mina didn’t think too much about it, there was too much to do and Hosung was soon forgotten as she becomes immersed into her work. It wasn’t until the sun was setting and there were only a few people busy leaving that Mina spotted Hosung standing under a tree with his hands in his pockets. Seeing him standing there reminded Mina that he is an enemy, his stance still had echoes of his past attitude. Mina frowns and ignores the figure and she was going to leave with the rest of the volunteers, when a hand on her shoulder stopped her. She grimaces as she turns around and puts on her ‘professional’ smile; it has been a while since Mina had to use these smiles, ever since Chanyeol… she pushed that thought out of her head while she focuses on the enemy at hand. Mina narrows her eyes at Hosung’s hand. He notices and quickly retrieves his hand, smiling weakly. “Sorry…” he says softly.

“It’s fine.” Mina says as she shrugs her shoulder.

Hosung smiles, looking relieved, “I just wanted to know if you want to catch a meal with me?”

Mina glances back at the other volunteers already getting ready to eat.

“I just finished cooking.” Hosung adds, “I made it myself, it’s not anything great, but I am still a beginner.”

Mina looks at his eager to please attitude and sighs internally, “sure. Why not?”

Hosung beams like a child who just got praised and Mina couldn’t help but feel sorry for him as she follows him down the dimly lit street. He opens the door to a beat up truck, evidently used for farming, but interior of the truck was relatively clean. He helps Mina into the truck and gets into the other side. Mina felt anxious as Hosung locked the door; memories of the last time she followed him into a car. But she thinks of his eager to please attitude, and so she chose to push those thoughts away.

The truck rumbled down a dusty road, the clear air striking Mina’s face, a slight hint of manure is braided into the air when they past the farms.

“It gets a bit getting used to.” Hosung offers, gesturing to the rolling field outside.

Mina nods as she watched the field eventually thin out as house started becoming further and further apart. The anxiety from before came back as it took longer and longer to reach the next sign of civilization. Mina was about to ask him to take her back when the truck to the dirt paths leading to a small house.

“I’ve been staying here since I got here, it’s small, but it’s got what I need.” Hosung says as he lets her in.

Hosung gets her a chair and the two sit down to the meal the Hosung had cooked. They dig in; Mina focuses on eating, famished from a long day of work. It wasn’t until she noticed that Hosung was observing her, Mina struggles to swallow her bite of food. ‘It’s really good.” Hosung smiles, “I added a special ingredient.” Mina nods, “I’m surprised you made it.”

There was a pause, and a sick feeling sunk into her stomach as Hosung opens his mouth in slow motion. “Because I didn’t.” Hosung smiles sickly as Mina loses consciousness.