Breaking the Tie

Meet the Family
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There were three things you needed to live without regrets regarding to Kyuhyun.

 

First, money gained through a job you loved.

 

Second, freedom to express who you are.

 

And third, someone to share the sunny sides of life with.

 

Donghae could absolutely relate to this principle, enjoying every minute he spent with Hyukjae. Whereas they were fighting or loving, Donghae felt more balanced than ever before. 

 

Their daily fights in the morning still took place but instead of ending in disagreement it always ended in both laughing about their fight. 

 

Amber watched them with discomfort. Seeing them open up more and more to each other left her in blank panic. Donghae needed to marry Jessica to prevent Amber ending up in the worst situation ever. Her twin being close to Hyukjae was becoming more and more dangerous to her with every day passing.

 

Staying for already three weeks, Donghae found it too boring to be confined to the house and declared it to be his personal mission bothering Hyukjae everyday at work. 

 

The diligent man of course had his troubles keeping the dangerous temptation around the whole time, Donghae was able to disarm Hyukjae every time, leaving him in a blur of desire and amorousness, hence he wasn’t productive at all. Hyukjae needed to work so the two men came up with an agreement.

 

As long as Donghae was dressing properly and helped Hyukjae out a bit with his work, he was allowed to stay and brighten Hyukjae’s day whenever work became a bit stressful.

 

Donghae was doing a great job. In his suit he looked as if he was a fashion magazine model, his classy accessories such as scarves and watches revealing that he was working at a fashion company. Sometimes he looked way too handsome, making it hard for Hyukjae to concentrate but Donghae never let him fall behind, helping him as much as possible with the paper work.

 

Working as a fashion manager for marketing he knew his stuff and when he worked through some of Hyukjae’s company’s documents he found something odd. A few of the files that were probably not meant to be read by some outsider were catching Donghae’s attention. Hyukjae must have forgotten to take them out when he handed his newest employee the mountain of work. Nobody would have liked this to be revealed to anybody. Studying the data, Donghae step by step found out about Hyukjae’s company and its darkest secrets. 

 

Donghae found the reason why Hyukjae had married Amber.

 

For the whole time being, the Lee siblings had thought their father was only trying to strengthen his political position by teaming up with some of the company giants… he did, but he did by saving one from going bankrupt. 

 

The reason why Hyukjae had to work himself to the bones was that his company was about to bust. Its financial status wasn’t good, it had been even worse before Hyukjae’s and Amber’s marriage. Lee Sooman’s influence was showing in the company’s records, he must have helped Hyukjae and his family to save the company and gained company shares in return.

 

“Are you alright?“, Hyukjae asked when he saw Donghae’s devastated expression. His lover was sitting on the other end of the desk, the documents almost crumpling in his hands.

 

“Sure…“, Donghae answered and tried to force a smile onto his lips. “I’m just shocked by the amount of work that is still left.“

 

Hyukjae gave Donghae a warm, thankful smile. 

 

“Yeah… I’m glad you’re helping me. I don’t know how I could think I could finish this all alone. I really appreciate you staying with me here.“

 

Yes…sure…

 

The male twin looked at the documents in front of him, biting his lower lip nervously. He found it… he found Hyukjae’s weak point. Revealing it would mean Hyukjae’s financial ruin.

 

 

Donghae’s interest in getting rid of Hyukjae was gone but he still thought some times about asking his new made lover to divorce his sister and be with him instead. That would be the happy end everyone was waiting for. But there was no way to follow this path anymore - because the path had never really existed.

 

The imaginary happy end was far away, the reality haunting Donghae just too early. He couldn’t explain why it was bothering him that the chances to be officially with Hyukjae had gone around zero, but it frustrated him a lot. His affection for Hyukjae had grown to the extent that he wasn’t willing to share his man anymore. Even the fact that he was married to his sister and that their parents were awaiting grandchildren was pissing him off.

 

“Are you angry I made you work the whole day?“, Hyukjae asked when the two men were sitting in the car on their way back home, Donghae being all silent and lost in thoughts.

 

“What?“  Surprised by Hyukjae all of a sudden asking him, he looked at him with rounded eyes. “I’m not angry.“

 

“But something isn’t right with you, you’re extremely silent…it’s weird, I’ve never seen you like this before…“, he explained worried and examined his partner.

 

“I’m just tired…“, Donghae assured him and pretended to yawn. “I just need some rest, I’ll be better tomorrow.“

 

The one driving didn’t seem happy with his explanation, he nodded shortly and looked at the street again, not knowing what he should say or do to lighten the mood.

 

If he had know that Donghae had just recently found out about his company’s situation, he wouldn’t have asked. Donghae didn’t know what Hyukjae would do. But it would definitely damage their relationship.

 

 

Back at home an unpleasant surprise was waiting for them.

 

The whole family had gathered and there were guests Donghae hadn’t expected. Mr and Mrs Jung were sitting in the living room, their two daughters accompanying them. Jessica immediately squealed in excitement when she noticed Donghae entering the house. The young woman rushed towards him and grabbed his arm to drag him to her parents.

 

Donghae’s father was sitting next to his mother on the sofa on the opposite, both looking up at Donghae who was forced to also sit down by his nagging fiancée. Nobody seemed to care for Hyukjae, he was left in the entrance way, shortly dipping into the living room before he quickly moved on. He wasn’t the type to eavesdrop. If there was something talked about which was important, Donghae would tell him later… yet, he was feeling worried and bothered. Jessica and her parents were around, this couldn’t be anything good to either him or Donghae.

 

“Finally you’re here.“, Mr Jung said and smiled. He and his wife were nice and decent  people who only wanted their children to be happy. That their definition of being happy was different from their daughters’ wasn’t anything they had ever considered.

 

„“You’re staying for a longer period of time, it seems. We were wondering why.“, Mrs Jung noted, her eyes hopefully directed at her daughter’s soon-to-be husband.

 

Donghae already knew where this would be going. They were about to set a marriage date for him and Jessica. Great… The nightmare he had tried to escape by running away abroad was striking him as soon as he was back in Seoul for too long. He could tell them he would be off to America again… but that would mean the end of his sister and lover.

 

“I will have to return in not later than a month, the company is already asking me to return soon.“, he said, hoping for them to give up. 

 

“We thought as much.“, Mr Jung said and cleared his throat, expectantly looking at his partner, Lee Sooman.

 

“That’s why we decided to marry you two off before you’ll return to the US again.“, Donghae’ father declared.

 

Prepared to defend himself, Donghae smiled at his parents and in-laws as if they wer

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter