Butterfly fly away

The name that never fades

I said I might do a double update..so here, have another chapter! Let's uncover some of the many questions around lil maknae's behaviour should we? Many have had their guesses about this topic so let's see if you got it right or not? Thank you to all the lovely people that CONTINUE to comment and talk to me, I love you all, you all make my day thank you! Enjoy the maknae action ^^ It's his first chapter so please go easy on him :3


Jungkook POV 

' Thank you Mina, they're beautiful ' Jungkook smiled, and took the flowers from the girl behind the counter. He lightly bowed to her and the others working in the small shop, before he stepped outside. He walked the familiar way a few blocks down the road with the bouquet secure in his arms.  

He found his keys and opened the gate leading into the apartment buildings courtyard. He knocked on the 3rd door on the left side before locking himself inside. The smell of cigarette smoke hit his nose as soon as he stepped inside. He scrunched his nose in disgust.  

' Mom? Are you ready to go?' Jungkook asked as he peeped his head inside an empty living room, the static of the television the only thing filling the silence.  

' Two seconds! I was at the store so I ran a little late, I'm sorry!' His mom shouted from the other side of the closed bathroom door. 

Jungkook turned off the TV and looked around the tiny room. The colors muted and dull, everything just kind of blended together here. Just like the memories of this place. Dull. The only pictures hanging on the walls were art his mom found at garage sales and in between trash cans. He picked up the only framed photo in the whole apartment. It was a picture of himself and one of his older brothers, Jaehyun.  

' Is Jaehyun coming along today?' He asked staring at the photo. 

' No, he had an important business meeting so he said he'd visit later this week by himself'  

' Typical...'  

Jungkook put the picture back as he heard the bathroom door open, and his mom stepped into the living room.  

' My always so handsome Jungkook' his mom hugged him tightly. The amount of perfume hitting him almost made him dizzy, so he quickly pulled away as he smiled politely.  

' Shall we go?' Jungkook gestured towards the door.  

' Yeah ' His mom smiled back before she gave him a stern look. ' Jeon Jungkook you didn't even dress up!? What do you think Eunmi would say?'  

' I really don't think she cares about my appearance that much mom... Besides I got her flowers, and we're going to visit her. That's what matters'  

' You could've at least tried to look nice..' 

They sat in silence on bus 27 towards the outskirts of town. His mom kept nervously playing with her wallet in her lap and Jungkook noticed how she unconsciously bit at her lip. He looked down at the flowers in his hands, a bouquet of dwarf Iris'. The purple flowers safe in his arms as they arrived at their stop. His mom linked their arms as they started walking. They walked into the big open space. The big space filled with so many emotions, love, people, and stones. Gravestones. They made their way down the many names decorating the stones until they arrived in the left most corner.  

There in the corner stood a beautiful white stone decorated with a tiny round picture at the top and silver letters:  

Jeon Eunmi 
1999 - 2005 
May your beautiful wings carry you all the way.  
Forever to be remembered and loved. 

' Hi Eunmi, your Bunnie is here to visit' He sat down next to the white stone and wiped off the dirt on the silver letters with his hand. ' Did you miss me? Let me look at you' He pulled his sleeve and cleaned the tiny round picture frame at the top, revealing a smiling Eunmi. ' Awhh, pretty, there you are. Guess who got you flowers.'  

Jungkook gently unwrapped the flowers and held them in front of the picture.  

' Dwarf Iris', your favorite' Jungkook took out the old dead flowers from the vase, and placed the new bright purple flowers in it.  

' They're pretty right?' Jungkook smiled. ' Do you remember how you would always stare at them in the store window. And every now and then the lady would give you one for free? The smile on your face on those days are the smile I remember most. Hmm butterfly, you really loved those flowers didn't you? Do you remember what you called them? Flowers of hope. 'Why?',  I would ask you, and you would make the face like I was stupid and didn't understand the simplest things in life. You would then explain to me that the purple represented the dark night or the darkness we sometimes feel inside us. And the white and yellow part of the flower represented the stars, the light in the darkness, the hope that is always there leading us on. How could your mind at 6 years old come up with such things? I still wonder today.'  

Jungkook pulled the weeds that had grown around Eunmi's stone. He caressed the cold surface, picturing himself caressing her warm round cheeks. He sat there just picturing that for a long time. Remembering her bright eyes, her tiny stuck up nose and round pink cheeks. The dark bangs always resting on her long eye lashes. The laughter ringing in his ears as he would chase her in the courtyard, Jungkook smiled by the clear memories. 

' Big brother is turning 19 soon. Are you excited for me? I might already know who my soulmate is. He showed me earlier today, did you see it? What do you think? It's terrifying all right. Then again nothing scared you. I wish I was as brave as you. Lend me some of that strength sometime will you?' His legs started to hurt so he stood up and looked over at his mom.  

His mom would never talk out loud to Eunmi like Jungkook did. He didn't know if she even talked to her at all. Usually she'd just stand there the entire time staring intensely at the tiny picture of her face, and the letters forming her name. She normally wouldn't say anything until they were back in the apartment, cigarette lit and sitting by the window.  

' I promise to be back soon Eunmi, please watch over me. I love you, butterfly'  Jungkook rested his hand on the cold stone for a few seconds before he slowly made his way out of the graveyard.  

  

  

  

' ...He?' His mom asked as they were waiting for the bus to arrive.  

' Yeah. Dancer, one year older than me.' Jungkook answered taken aback by the sudden conversation topic.  

' Doesn't matter what he is. At least you can be happy there won't have to be any kids involved no matter how that goes... Men are the worst kind anyway.' His mom kept looking at her fidgeting hands.  

' I don't think that’s fair. He's one of the nicest people I kn..'  

' Doesn't matter! Soul..' His mom burst, fear and anger in her eyes. 

'..mates is a system that only the mindless believe in. Soulmates are s that will steal your money and leave you with nothing if you let them. That's why you get a hold of the money first. I know, I know...I've heard this for 10 years you know? Should think I knew what to do by now..' Jungkook finished in an emotionless voice. He was tired of hearing it. It was imprinted in his mind by now.  

His dad had left them with nothing. His mom never got over it, she blamed everything that had went wrong in her life on his dad. Her soulmate. It had been good at first, they got 2 kids, Jungkook's older brothers within the first 3 years. After that his dad started to disappear for random amounts of time and days, never explaining what he was doing. He went abroad to work for 3 years all of a sudden, his mom all alone with 2 young kids. She almost gave up on him when he suddenly returned more in love with her than ever. They had Jungkook that year, and 2 years later Eunmi. His dads disappearances increased again, and within a month of Eunmi's birth he was more gone than there. And then, he never came back. The only proof he was still alive was his mom's soulmate mark, still bright yellow as it had been since they fell in love.  

After 4 years of not hearing from him, his mom got a call letting her know that his dad had taken all their money and left the country. She never got over that betrayal. She never did anything for it to get better from that point. His mom increasingly forgot to take care of the younger. Leaving the work more or less to his older brothers, and when Jungkook was old enough they gave him the responsibility of his little sister. 

When Eunmi was around 4 years old she got sick. The doctors couldn't find anything wrong with her. She was fine for a year before it started again. The difficulties to breath, her illusions and the sudden fainting. Around her 6th birthday her body wouldn't keep down any kind of food. Jungkook saw his sister get weaker every day. He often went crying to the hospital for help, but no one could figure out what was wrong with his sister. He cried to his mom to help, to do something and help Eunmi. His mom only looked at him with empty eyes cursing the man that left them like this, doomed them to this misery.  

Every night Eunmi would ask her brother to wrap her up like a cocoon. She said that she eventually would wake up a pretty butterfly. Healthy and strong so she could play with Jungkook again. Every night Jungkook would wrap her up and kiss her goodnight. Every morning she would tell him that; " tomorrow I'll be a butterfly, tomorrow I'll be able to fly Bunnie". And eventually she did. One morning Jungkook couldn't get her to wake up, and when his hands felt her cold skin against his, he understood. She had flown away to a better place, a happier place with all the prettiest flowers one could imagine.  

Jungkook was only 8 years old when she passed away. Jungkook had never understood. Never understood how his mom hadn't done anything. How she could continue to blame someone that hadn't been there for years. How she had let her own daughter wither without lifting a finger. Jungkook had for his own wellbeing put all his effort and time into studying, getting a scholarship and a dorm room. He moved out the first chance he got, he was fine living alone. He had felt all alone since his sister passed, and had learned to accept that.  

Sometimes Jungkook would forget why he dealt with his mom after everything that happened in the past. Then he remembers that if he didn't care, no one would. She would die slowly and alone in that apartment. His oldest brother had left like their father did, forgotten about them. And Jaehyun only called a few times a month to check up on her. Jungkook might not have a lot of great feelings towards his mother, she had never been there for him. Yet he didn't want to be the one letting his mom die alone, he wouldn't do that to her. He wanted her to get better. He wanted to believe there was hope for her.   

' Hey, Jungkookie you know I just want you to be safe right? I just want to protect you so you don’t go through what I did. You know that right? I don't want you to get hurt and broken by those soulmates. We shouldn't let the s take advantage of us, should we sweetie?' his mom smiled weakly.  

' Of course not, they won't get anything from me, mom' Jungkook sighed as he thought of Jimin's face earlier that week. ' Cause I'll be the heart breaker this time..' he whispered to himself. 


Thank you for reading ! Talk to me in the comments, or send me a message on tumblr if you want! Until next time, stay safe and smile loads precious human beans! HUGS FOR EVERYONE!