The soulmate

The name that never fades

Yoongi POV  

It was Yoongi's 19th birthday and he was staring into the bathroom mirror. So far he hadn't seen anything that resembled ink on his skin. He turned a little to the left, trying to get a good look of his back. Ohh, he saw something. He walked closer and turned to the right this time. There. On his right shoulder, in a dotted line was a name written. 

박지민 (Park Jimin

Yoongi didn't know if he should be surprised or not. He had known about soulmates since as long as he could remember. That person could be someone you knew, or someone you'd never met. They could be a guy or a girl, or neither. uality and gender wasn't a big deal, soulmates were. As long as you found your soulmate, went to the counselor and lived your life with that person, life would be good. Or so society portrayed it at least. So to find his childhood friends name on his shoulder didn't really surprise him that much. Even though he had never thought of Jimin that way.  

He pulled on his t-shirt and went into the kitchen. He put on some coffee and stared out of the window as he thought about this soulmate he now knew the name of. He thought about how it would be to live with Jimin like that. Would it be weird? Would he grow to actually have romantic feelings for him? Most soulmates did, so he guessed he would. But he decided he wouldn't tell Jimin just yet. He'd wait until Jimin had his soulmate mark as well, until he had Yoongi written on his skin. 

' Happy birthday bestie! ' Namjoon wrapped his arms around Yoongi's waist as he hugged him from behind.  

' Ugh, thanks for reminding me' Yoongi answered as he got out of the younger's grip. ' The coffee is ready' he said as he poured two cups, one for himself and one for his roommate.  

' Thanks' Namjoon sat down at the kitchen counter looking the older up and down.  

' Gosh, Namjoon will you stop staring so intensely?' Yoongi furrowed his brows.  

' I'm just curious about your soulmate you know! I can't see anything though, did you hide it?' Namjoon asked curiously as he couldn't sit still on his chair. ' Is it because it is my name? You wanted to surprise me?' Namjoon smile grew bigger and his cheeks blushed a little.  

Yoongi sighed. Namjoon had been open about his crush on Yoongi since they became friends 2 years ago. Since then Namjoon had been convinced they were soulmates, and would keep bugging Yoongi about it. ' My name will be written on your pale skin, I know it. Just you wait and see '. Yoongi had never felt anything except for a strong friendship with Namjoon, but he didn't look forward to the sad face he would get now that he had another guy's name on his skin instead.  

' You're not going to show me?' Namjoon sent him a questionable look before he smirked.' Want me to find it myself maybe?'  

Namjoon put his cup down, stood up and walked up to Yoongi.  

 ' That's not it' Yoongi said as he pulled down the collar of the t-shirt so he revealed the dotted lines. He stared at the floor. He felt Namjoon's fingers trace the letters on his skin, slowly writing the name that wasn't his own. 'Oh...' Namjoon sat back down on his chair and Yoongi pulled the collar back up.  

' I'm sorry... I know that's not what you wanted to see' Yoongi said quietly.  

' No, no, it's not your fault.. It's not like you choose it' Namjoon shifted on his chair. ' Are you going to tell him today?'  

' No' Yoongi rubbed the back of his neck. ' I think it would be better to wait until he has my name written too.. don't you think?' Yoongi looked unsure over at his best friend.  

' Up to you, it's your soulmate'  

' I'll just wait, there is no rush. He won't get his until another 2 years anyway' Yoongi shrugged.  

' Well then, since you will technically be single for another 2 years...' Namjoon got up and stood face to face with Yoongi. Yoongi was a head shorter. ' I'm taking you out to eat tonight, it's a date and I'm treating! You're not allowed to refuse' Namjoon tilted Yoongi's head up so he looked at him. Namjoon gave him a wink and smirk before he left the kitchen.  

' Whatever, I'll have you buy the most expensive thing they have you know?!' he shouted after the younger as he heard the door close. Yoongi grunted.  

  

  

It was Saturday which meant no school, but Jimin had sent him a message. He wanted to meet up so he could hand him his birthday gift.  

' Yoongi!' Jimin waved at him as he made his way over to the bench Yoongi was waiting at.  

' You look way too excited Jimin'  

' Hey! It's not every day you turn 19, AND get to know your soulmate!' Jimin smiled and his eyes turned into crescents. ' So? Show me, show me, show me!' Jimin jumped around Yoongi in excitement.  

'Nope' he said blankly.  

' Why not? We've know each other since kindergarten, come on!' Jimin teased, but seemed slightly disappointed. 

'No means no, you'll just have to wait until that person get their name as well' Yoongi had thought it might be awkward meeting Jimin after finding out this morning, but he was pleasantly surprised that nothing felt any different between them. The only change was Yoongi's gently pulsating soulmate mark. 

' Ugh, you're no fun' Jimin pouted. ' But you did give away that the person is younger than you so, ha!' Jimin gave him a satisfied glare.  

' Anyway. Here is your gift!' Jimin handed Yoongi a box wrapped in penguin wrapping paper. Yoongi looked at Jimin with a questionable expression.  

' Hey, it's cute. Now open it!'  

Yoongi opened the box and revealed a new lens for his camera. The one he'd been wanting for a long time. But lenses were expensive and as a student living alone he didn't have that kind of money.  

' Wow, Jimin.. this is way too much' Yoongi looked at the younger in disbelief.  

' Shush! As I said earlier it's a special day. Take it and promise me you'll use it, and make me look good, okay?' Jimin winked.  

' Who says I'll be taking pictures of you anyway?'  

' Excuse you. I am your most handsome friend, so who else would you take pictures off?' Jimin playfully bumped into Yoongi. ' No, but seriously. Next time bring your camera so we can take a picture together with it, okay? We don't have enough recent pictures of the both of us together'  

' Sure, kid' Yoongi smiled back. ' Anything cool happen since we last spoke? How is school?' Yoongi put his new lens carefully in his pocket so he wouldn't drop it.  

' School is okay, I wish we had more dance lessons though. Oh, wait! We did get a new kid in our class actually. He must be really smart as he is one year younger than the rest of us'  

Yoongi nodded. It was rare for people these days to be able to skip grades.  

' His name is Jungkook, but we just call him Kookie ' Jimin giggled. ' Isn't it cute? And, he is a really good dancer, like almost as good as me and Hobi'  

Yoongi couldn't help but notice how Jimin's eyes shone a bit brighter, and how his cheeks slightly blushed as he kept talking about this new friend, but Yoongi just nodded and kept listening.