Turn-around

Momentary Happiness

“Krystal? What’s wrong?” Kyungsoo’s voice was soothing and comforting. Too embarrassed to say anything, she did not respond. “I see,” he proceeded to say. “Where are you?”

“That really popular coffee shop in Gangnam that’s near the station,” she mumbled.

“Stay there; give me ten minutes,” he said then hung up. Surely enough, in ten minutes, Kyungsoo showed up at the shop panting heavily. He leaned on the shop’s window to maintain standing.

“A-are you okay?!” Krystal panicked. She shoved the coffee that was meant for Chanyeol in his hand, to which Kyungsoo chugged in two gulps. “Why’d you run?”

“I…couldn’t find…parking…nearby.”

“You didn’t have to sprint here. I could’ve waited.”

“I think you’ve waited enough,” he said shaking the empty coffee cup in his hand. Krystal rubbed the back of her neck and looked away. “What drink was it?”

“Cappuccino…I didn’t know what to get Chanyeol.”

“I’d say I was meant to drink this. It’s my favourite type of coffee.” Krystal’s expression lightened.

“Really? Me too!”

Kyungsoo winked, “maybe this is fate,” and nudged Krystal on the arm. “C’mon, let’s get out of here,” he said and grabbed Krystal by the hand.

Kyungsoo had parked his car several blocks away, which to Krystal, was a marathon of a walk but when they reached the car it didn't matter. In front of her was a white Porsche parked under a fairly large tree. Its number plate was “DKS 2”, which Krystal thought ‘DKS’ probably stood for ‘Do Kyungsoo’. The ‘2’, however, meant that either ‘DKS 1’ had already been taken, or Kyungsoo had another car (Krystal hoped it was the latter).

“I didn’t know you were rich,” was the first thing Krystal blurted out. Thankfully Kyungsoo laughed.

“I have a job, you know. Plus my parents contributed to about a quarter of the cost.” He ran to the passenger side and opened the door. “Get in.” Krystal gladly took the offer.

“So…where are we going?” Krystal asked when Kyungsoo got in the driver’s seat.

“That- you will find out soon. In an hour, maybe, if the traffic isn’t heavy.”

About five minutes into the car ride, Krystal had fallen asleep. She hadn’t noticed how tired she was from waiting for Chanyeol at the coffee shop. As the car’s engine began to fall silent, Krystal awoke. She looked out the window and saw many high-rise buildings but she could not identify their location. She checked her phone and found that Chanyeol had called her ten times in the past half hour she was asleep for. Though she urged to call him back immediately, a big part of her kept saying he isn’t worth the trouble. She deleted the notifications and put her phone back in her pocket.

The car slowly pulled over into a private car park in a small back alley. When they exited the car park into a building it didn’t look like much at first. They passed through what Krystal thought was a locker room and entered two grand-looking double doors, to which Krystal’s jaw dropped. It was an elegant restaurant decorated with chandeliers and glass ornaments that sat on the walls. The tables were lined with white tablecloths and topped with empty wine glasses, white ceramic plates and glittering silverware. The only thing that was missing was the staff and well-dressed customers. At the very other end of the room was the main entrance to the restaurant and Krystal could just make out a sign that read ‘Open’, meaning the restaurant was currently closed.

“W-why did you bring me here?” she stuttered, still shocked. Kyungsoo put his arm around her and led her to a table-for-two in the middle of the restaurant that was set slightly differently to the others. Rather than wine glasses, there were champagne glasses and in the centre of the table was a small vase with red roses in it.

“Today is your lucky day! Because I am the head chef of this place, I will be cooking anything you want to eat- even things that aren’t on the menu. The only exception is that you ask for food you’d usually find in fine dining.” Kyungsoo pulled out a chair and sat Krystal down.

“I don’t get it. Why are you doing all this?”

“Well I’d imagine you had a rough two days- being dragged into a relationship, having to wear a dress, and worst of all, waiting for that no-show . So I wanted to treat you to a little something to make you feel better,” he smiled kindly and sat in the opposite seat.

“Wait but how did you manage to book the entire restaurant? I know you’re the head chef and all but-”

“My parents own this place,” Kyungsoo said nervously.

“So that’s why you can afford the car,” Krystal nodded slowly.

“Hey the car is my own money. I just get paid a lot,” he laughed. “Anyway, just choose what you want. I’ll take your order after I change.” He passed Krystal a menu and walked through the doors they came from. When he came back, Krystal ordered something that she’d never heard of but decided was the best choice on the menu. About twenty minutes later Kyungsoo springs from the kitchen doors with two plates in his hands. As the plate was placed in front of Krystal she took a big gulp.

“So this is what beef tartare is,” she said quietly, staring at a small pile of chunks of raw beef with a raw egg yolk sitting on top.

“I had a feeling you didn’t know what it was,” Kyungsoo chuckled. He went back into the kitchen and brought back another dish that smelt familiar to Krystal. It was the smell of jjajangmyun but there was something about it that seemed different.

Jjajangmyun…fine dining-style,” Kyungsoo introduced as he placed it on the table.

“I think I’d like this a lot better,” Krystal laughed, slightly embarrassed. “Thanks a lot, Kyungsoo. You really made me feel better after the thing with Chan-” Kyungsoo cut her off and hushed her.

“From now on, don’t bring him up unless I ask you about him. I don’t want to know how bad he is at treating girls- especially you.” Krystal blushed. She was about to say something when her phone interrupted her. She began receiving so many texts her phone continuously vibrated on the table. She apologised to Kyungsoo and began reading the messages.

Park Chanyeol; 6:45pm

Krystal

Krystal

Please answer me

I’m sorry about earlier

I couldn’t call you

I was rushed to the hospital

Can you come visit me? :(

It would make my day x100 better

I have my guitar with me

I can sing for you

Krystal

Please.

Answer me.

I think I’m about to die.

Asan Medical Center, East Building

Room 205

Please come.