Clarity

Momentary Happiness

The moment the woman with brown hair and bright red lipstick walked in Krystal instantly recognised her. To say the least, neither seemed happy about seeing each other. "What are you doing here, Suzy?" Krystal's face scrunched up with confusion. 

"You two know each other?" Chanyeol asked, looking extremely shocked.

"We...used to go to high school together," Krystal answered hesitantly but Suzy scoffed.

"Come on, Krystal! Don't I mean a little more than an acquaintance?" she smiled, but it was obvious that she was forcing it. "I should be greeted with a hug and a big smile, considering I used to give you so many things!"

"Don't play that card with me," Krystal said coldly. Her teeth were clenched behind her smug. "Now get out before I slap that fake smile off your face." 

"W-wait, what are you talking about?" Chanyeol interrupted before Suzy could retort. 

"You didn't know? Krystal was a-"

"Shut the hell up!" Krystal screamed. "You don't know anything so shut up!" Chanyeol sat on the hospital bed quietly but was expecting Suzy to continue.

"Well, to put it simply, she was a gold-digger. So you might reconsider that marriage you were so keen on earlier, because she might be with you for some other reason." Suzy pulled out something small from her coat pocket. "Here, you can have this back. I found it while cleaningarrow-10x10.png my closet." She threw it at Chanyeol then left. A silver ring shone brightly on his white blanket. Chanyeol and Krystal stared at it for a while before anyone said anything. 

"That looks expensive," she finally said to break the silence.

"It does, but I bought it for less than twenty dollars. I told her I bought it for two hundred." The two of them continued to stare at the ring. 

"When was this?"

"Two years ago when I first started writing."

"You were twenty-one."

"It was a couple ring, not an engagement ring." The conversation ended there and the two went back to sitting silently. Krystal could feel her eyelids starting to feel heavy as time went by. She checked the time and realised it was already ten-thirty. Chanyeol was still wide awake. He looked as if deep in thought while fiddling with the ring in his right hand. "You...should go home if you're tired," he said, not facing Krystal when he spoke. "You must be hungry as well. You didn't have dinner or lunch, right?"

Krystal shook her head, "It's fine. I lost my appetite a while ago." She paused. "You're not going to ask about what Suzy said earlier?"

"It's your business, not mine. I can't do anything but respect your privacy," Chanyeol replied quietly. "If you want to tell me, I'm willing to listen but don't force yourself." He turned to her and smiled gently. Krystal looked him in the eyes and sighed with a defeated look on her face.

"I did befriend her because she was rich but I'm not like that anymore," she explained. "I genuinely enjoy your company and think you're a great guy."

"Does that mean you're accepting my proposal?" Krystal patted Chanyeol on the head.

"We just met; I don't think anyone would approve- myself included."

"Well, until you say yes, I'll continue to wait for you forever."

"Don't make up a promise you can't keep," Krystal smirked.

"I will keep it. Just you watch," he said and pushed Krystal's forehead lightly with his finger. 

Eventually, after a long conversation, Krystal decided it was probably best to go home. As she stood up, Chanyeol stopped her and reached for his phone. "Let my manager drive you home. It's late, and I don't want you to travel alone."

"It's fine; honestly. I don't want to bother your manager as well. He's probably doing the best he can to clean up your mess right now," Krystal smirked playfully.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Chanyeol pouted. Krystal just ruffled his hair and waved goodbye before leaving the room. She dialled some numbers on her phone and pressed the call button. 

"What do you want?"

"Kyungsoo...I need a ride home."

"What makes you think I'd go all the way to the hospital just to pick you up?"

"You're a nice person?" Kyungsoo sighed heavily. "Are you going to hold a grudge on me forever?"

"I'm going to keep holding a grudge until you figure out why I'm angry."

"It still means you're picking me up, right?" He sighed again.

"Wait out the front. I'll be there in twenty minutes." Krystal thanked Kyungsoo and hung up. She smiled to herself then proceeded to the elevator.

As she waited, it began to pour with rain. It was light at first, then the lightning and thunder came, causing the slight downpour to escalate. Thirty minutes had passed but Kyungsoo's car was nowhere to be seen. It was very unusual for Kyungsoo to be this late- at least that's what Krystal thought. Another half an hour passed by slowly and Kyungsoo was still a no-show. Krystal was about to give up and call a taxi when a loud engine revved from a distance. A familiar white Porsche pulled up in front of her and the window rolled down. 

"Get in," Kyungsoo said audaciously. He didn't smile and greet her like he usually did; instead, he stared at her with cold eyes. 

"Why were you so late? I was beginning to freeze out here," Krystal joked to lighten the mood as she entered the car.

"You complain when I arrive late, but when he never showed, you just let it slide," Kyungsoo muttered to himself, seemingly still upset. 

"Look, Kyungsoo. I don't understand why you're being so...so..."

"So...what? Angry? Annoying?" he said as they took off. "I'm not sure, Krystal. Maybe if you stopped toying with me I wouldn't be like this." Krystal stared at him with a completely blank expression.

"What do you me-"

"You still don't get it, do you?" he exclaimed. "I. LIKE. YOU." He took a breath. "At times I feel like you're actually interested in me, but at times it feels like you just use me as a rebound. If you called me this late to pick you up I'd be happy, but knowing you just came from seeing him leaves a bitterness that I can't get used to."

"Why do you never call Chanyeol by his name?"

"I hate him to the point where I can't even say his name without feeling the need to wash my tongue out. He took someone from me and rubbed it in my face and now he's about to do it again."

"She probably didn't feel anything anymore," Krystal attempted to calm Kyungsoo down.

"WE WENT OUT FOR THREE MONTHS." He sighed again. "That's not the point. Krystal Jung, I want you to answer me very honestly. Hurt me or heal me, I need a truthful answer. How do you feel about me?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

HELLO EVERYONE. IT HAS BEEN A MONTH SINCE THE LAST UPDATE AND I'M VERY SORRY. School just restarted and I've been VERY VERY busy. However, that being said, I hope you've enjoyed this update. It took me a very long time to think of fitting dialogue lol so hopefully, it's a decent read. I will try to update next week but I cannot guarantee. Regardless, thank you so much for reading thus far; peace out xx