Bygones

Momentary Happiness

Krystal's phone slipped out of her hand and thudded loudly on the table. Her hands began to tremble but she hid it under the table so Kyungsoo wouldn't notice. He got up and approached Krystal, but she slowly turned her back to him.

"I...I'm so sorry, Kyungsoo. I have to go," she muttered.

"Go where? What's wrong?" Despite her urge to tell him the truth, she couldn't mention Chanyeol's name.

"O-one of my friends was hospitalised." Kyungsoo gently put his arms around Krystal to comfort her but it made her more tense.

"Let's go. I'll drive you there," he said softly in her ear. He helped her up and headed for the car, the warm food still sitting on the table.

Within fifteen minutes, Krystal was staring at the front entrance of the east building of Asan Medical Center. In front of the main doors were roughly ten reporters standing around as if they were waiting for something. Krystal had a strong feeling that it was her that they were waiting for. Krystal thanked Kyungsoo for the ride and apologised before heading out but he suddenly grabbed her right arm. 

"Please tell me it's not him," he begged. Krystal turned to look at him. Kyungsoo stared deeply into her eyes, not even blinking for a second. Krystal couldn't bring herself to tell him. She looked away again sighed. "Why?" Kyungsoo sobbed. His grip on Krystal's arm tightened. "What does he have that I don't?" he shouted with a croaky voice. Tears began welling up in his eyes.

"It's not like that, Kyungsoo!" Krystal yelled back while trying to shake his grip.

"Then what is it like? Enlighten me, because every single time you even bother looking at me, you seem to be thinking of that bastard!"

"I don't get it; what are you trying to say?" Kyungsoo paused. He tossed Krystal's arm and slumped back in his seat, kicking the dashboard while he leaned back. He screamed with frustration and ruffled his hair violently.

"Just go," he said while facing the window. 

"Kyungsoo, I-"

"I said just go!" As Krystal stepped out of the car, she heard Kyungsoo say something softly to himself: "Go before I change my mind." 

The moment Krystal began approaching the doors, cameras and microphones were shoved in her face. She attempted to force her way through but there were too many people blocking her. Suddenly a tall man wearing a trench coat and sunglasses forcefully made a path for her until they entered the building, where the security guards prevented the reporters from entering. 

"Thank you," Krystal sighed, "but who are you?"

"Baekhyun Byun, Mr Park's manager," he said in a calm but monotonous voice. "Mr Park is on the fifth floor. I'm assuming you don't want me to you?" Krystal nodded slowly and smiled. She thanked him again and headed for the elevator.

Krystal stood silently in front of the room labelled '205'. Ten minutes have passed since her first hesitation to open the door. She wondered whether it was really a good idea to visit Chanyeol thirty minutes after he sent the text messages. "Is it too early?" she thought as she continuously reached for the door knob. After a little more thought, Krystal opened the door abruptly, to which it slammed against the wall. 

"Couldn't you have made your entrance a little less...frightening?" a familiar voice said. Chanyeol sat on the hospital bed looking startled. Despite it only being one day since she's seen him, Chanyeol looked completely different. His skin was much paler than usual and his hair was completely product-free, making it look extremely flat and boyish. 

"Oh my goodness, are you really Chanyeol Park? You look more like a zombie," Krystal joked, but it weighed more heavily on her heart than she first thought. She closed the door and sat on a chair beside his bed.

"I'm so sorry we weren't able to go on a date today," Chanyeol said seriously. He put his hand on Krystal's lap and pouted. "I was really looking forward to eating more Mexican food."

"Are you alright?"

"Good news is, I'm not dying! I'm just not getting enough nutrients since I've been skipping meals so the doctors are discharging me tomorrow after another check-up." Krystal felt like hitting the life out of Chanyeol. If it wasn't for him, she wouldn't have had that argument with Kyungsoo and would still be eating his food. "What's wrong?"

"You made me miss something very important," she sulked. 

"You mean our date?"

"I was going to have luxurious food for free but because of your texts, I didn't even get to try a mouthful." Chanyeol's expression changed- he was no longer smiling and he was looking Krystal dead in the eye.

"Were you with Kyungsoo?"

"He was your replacement. Since you didn't show, he took me to his parents' restaurant and cooked for me." Chanyeol's hand balled up on Krystal's lap. "Why are you so angry? You've got no right to be since-"

"Since I'm your boyfriend?"

"The only time you get to be my boyfriend is when you ask. If not, I'm a free woman," Krystal argued back. Chanyeol opened his mouth to say something but instead, he sighed. "Look, I'm not dating someone who dated their friend's ex right after their breakup." 

"Then marry me."

"Yeah sure, and plus...wait, what?" Krystal's palms suddenly got sweaty and went dry. 

"Marry me, Krystal Jung."

"We've only known each other for a few days and-"

"And yet I feel like this is the best decision I've ever made." Chanyeol sat up to face Krystal and clasped her hands in his. "Krystal-" The door suddenly slammed open, scaring Krystal. "What are you doing here?" Chanyeol's tone changed drastically. 

"Missed me, Chanyeol?"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -  - -

A/N:

Hello everyone! Sooo sorry this is really late, I was in Malaysia for a couple of weeks and didn't really have internet OTL. BUT I hope this makes up for it~ I feel like I've neglected Chanyeol a lot recently, so surprise :D Tbh I wasn't really planning on including another character but here you go. Can you guess who it is? :p

On a side note, happy belated New Year's and Merry uber-late Xmas.

P.S. Not sure whether you noticed, but I changed Chanyeol's manager's name from the previous chapter LOL I wasn't planning on including him again but since he made a reappearance, I thought they should be a more meaningful character (it was Mr Lee before hahaha).