Deja Vu

Momentary Happiness

"Sorry, did you say something?" Chanyeol said. Krystal was somewhat relieved that he didn't hear anything. 

She shook her head and replied, "I said the same thing as well," trying to play it cool.

"Anyway, I'll be seeing you!" Chanyeol waved and turned around, before Krystal stopped him.

"Aren't you using the subway?"

"I actually parked my car near the shop we were just at. I just wanted to make sure you didn't get drenched again." Krystal felt her heart melt. Good-looking, charming and considerate? It's the perfect combination and Krystal was in desperate need for someone like Chanyeol. They said their farewells and Chanyeol walked back into the heavy rain, slowly disappearing into the grey shower. Krystal, too, went her own way; taking the subway back to Myeongdong where she lived in a small apartment on the sixth floor.

She barged through her front door where her sister Jessica nonchalantly greeted her from the couch. She grabbed an open bag of chips from the kitchen counter and joined her sister on the couch. 

"Oh my gosh, that guy is so hot! I wish my boyfriend was like that," Jessica sulked, referring to an idol on TV. Krystal wasn't particularly interested in both the show or the idol so she grabbed the remote off her sister changed the channel. "I was watching that!"

"The show's not that great. You're only watching it for the guys," Krystal argued. As she was nearing the end of the cycle of channels, something on a documentary channel caught her eye. The host of the show was interviewing an author at a fan-signing and it suddenly occurred to her that the man being interviewed was Chanyeol. She screamed with excitement. "Unni, that's the guy I met today!"

"What guy? You met someone famous?" After Krystal explained her whole 'romantic' encounter with Chanyeol, Jessica suggested something only an insane person would suggest. "You need to go to his next fan-signing event. I'll tell you now, that Chanyeol guy has the hots for you, Krystal." Jessica wriggled her eyebrows. "Go find him and make your dream come true!"

Krystal stared at her sister with disapproval. "Are you kidding? One; it's not my dream. Two; who's crazy enough to confront a guy like that?" She sighed. "I can't just rock up in front of him and say, 'oh hi, I was just passing by and wanted to talk so here I am'." Krystal hugged her knees and swung her head backwards.

"At least just chill an area where he can see you! If you don't do it, I'll upright give him your number."

"No! Are you insane? Are you trying to embarrass me?"

Jessica pointed to the screen, "he's holding one this Saturday at 2pm in the massive bookstore down the street. Go or I will drag you there." Krystal grunted frustratingly but knew that refusal was futile. She knew her sister was the type of person who would genuinely drag her even if she resisted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday 1pm

Krystal sat in front of her dressing table and slowly applied her makeup, hoping time would pass by faster. Jessica had gone out shopping and as a wake-up call, she threatened Krystal again. It was annoying, having the dress up for a guy she only met once. She didn't understand the point in looking nice; she'd have to change out of it anyway, so why not go on a date in track pants? She realised that she will never truly find the reason, despite her sister telling her, "you'll understand once you find someone." It was finally 1.30pm. Krystal's plan was to head to her favourite coffee place before going the the bookstore to find a good book. And stare at Chanyeol every 10 minutes or so.

She left her apartment with a heavy heart and walked to the coffee shop. After ordering an iced Americano, she realised it probably wasn't a good idea considering it was relatively cold that day. When she received her order, it was 1.50pm. All she could hear from outside the shop was, "Chanyeol's so cool!" and "I wonder whether he has a girlfriend?" and for some reason, it got on her nerves. It wasn't her 'time of the month' so she couldn't blame it on the PMS. She decided it was probably a good time to start heading in to the bookstore but the moment she took a step outside the coffee shop, she could see a line beginning to form outside the bookstore. She thought to herself, "I must be crazy for wanting to walk into a place that crowded." 

After much struggle, Krystal made it to the second floor where Chanyeol was. There wasn't a particular reason why, but she felt the urge to hide her face. She never really liked crowded spaces, in the first place, and she didn't really want Chanyeol to notice her so she slipped past Chanyeol and his fans into the aisles. After around five minutes of searching for a good book, she found a romance novel called, "Cherry Blossom Viewing". Although she was not much of a romanticist, the blurb seemed interesting enough to convince her in reading it. She grabbed it, and sat at a table near Chanyeol's and faced him, hiding her face behind the book. What felt like an hour passed and Chanyeol's fans kept on coming. He called for a break- to which they all whined- and decided to have a walk around. Of course, he decides to walk in Krystal's direction, to which the burries her head deeper into her book. 

"Good book, that one," a deep, familiar voice said. Krystal muttered something quietly to herself and looked up, finding herself looking up at Chanyeol. "Never thought I'd find you here."

"I live in the area," she smiled nervously. Her heart was racing and her palms started to sweat. "Never knew you were an author."

"I was writing when we met a few days ago."

"Oh, really? I didn't notice," she lied.

"Considering how many times you looked at me, I thought you would've realised," he chuckled. "Sorry, that was a bit mean."

Krystal laughed, "and yet, you're smiling." 

"Do you mind?" Chanyeol indicated to a chair opposite Krystal. She shook her head and he took a seat. In the corner of her eye Krystal could see some of his fangirls eyeballing her and giving her the stink eye. They chatted a bit, before Chanyeol had to return to his post. "You free later? Wanna grab something to eat after this?" Krystal nodded but immediately regretted it. All she wanted to do was stare at him for a bit but now she's going out for food with him? At that point she really believed she was going insane.

After Chanyeol's event ended, despite his fangirls not leaving, he invited Krystal out. When they got to the exit, it began pouring again. Krystal sighed and ran her fingers through her hair. 

"I-I didn't bring an umbrella," she said under her breath. Chanyeol burst out into laughter.

"What is it with you and umbrellas? Are you asking to get drenched?" 

"The weather forecast didn't say anything about rain!" she argued. Chanyeol pulled out the same umbrella he had when they met and opened it.

He put his hand on Krystal's head and smiled, "let's go," gently pushing her closer to him so she wouldn't get wet. He then said something softly, to which Krystal only made out to be, "why do you keep making me fall for you?"