Promise

#InARelationshipWithTheGhost

This is the last chapter for this story and it may not be that good for I haven't written for this for so long but I hope you guys like it.



Light is relative. It is relative to the mirrors of the room or the figure of a fading glow. It is relative to the stars in his eyes, or the sunshine radiating from his bright smile. Light is relative to Kim Seokjin. He was fading, but he was glowing. He was light.

He was the light to Jungkook’s world.

Light is also relative to the dark. For the brighter the light is, the darker the shadow becomes. The bigger the light, the more the shadow grows. Whenever the good in light increases, the bad things also come along. It may not be sporadic, but it happens to you the when you least expect it.

But it didn’t come off as a surprise to Jungkook.

Light was fading, but he was glowing. It was cold, but he felt warm.

It was unbearably cold, but heartbreakingly warm.

He didn’t understand it. He couldn’t explain how he felt it. But that’s what it felt like.

Words are beautiful. But words aren’t enough to describe the feelings that overwhelm him. But it wasn’t just feelings. Everything that was Kim Seokjin was hard to describe. Jungkook wasn’t completely incapable of using the right words, but Seokjin left him speechless, mindless and careless.

Everything that was Kim Seokjin left Jeon Jungkook hanging on a thin thread. And there were not enough words that could describe Seokjin’s beauty. He was beautiful, but there was something more to that beauty, something more special.

There was something. And it breaks Jungkook’s heart that he couldn’t put a name to that something.

It breaks his heart.

 

“Jungkook?” the soft voice that was so familiar and close to his heart had woken him from his reverie. Jungkook turned to see Seokjin who had a worried look in his face. He didn’t look surprised nor confused, as if he knew. But he was worried, and more than anything, there was a sad look in his eyes that Jungkook wants to erase, but knows he can’t when his heart feels the same.

So to not make it harder for his loved one, he swallowed the bitter taste in his tongue, ignored the constricting feeling in his chest, and turned to Seokjin with a smile that masked his breaking heart. It was not enough to trick the ghost, but the latter didn’t question it.

Both of them had masks anyway. Broken masks where if one peeks through between the cracks, they see breaking hearts trying to hold on to a slowly diminishing thread.

“Sorry”, Jungkook smiled. “I was just thinking of something else.”

Seokjin said nothing but he raised his cold finger against Jungkook’s cheek, and only then did Jungkook realize that his cheeks were wet. He didn’t even realize that his tears had fell until Seokjin smiled sadly.

He doesn’t say that it will be okay. Because they both know that white lies would only break them further when the truth comes to unveil itself.

 

That day, Jungkook and Seokjin spent doing things and tried acting like they normally would. Seokjin ordered more food than usual and Jungkook had reprimanded him, to which Seokjin responded by sticking his tongue out and ordering twice as much food.

They had ate pizzas that Jungkook felt sick at one point and left the rest for Seokjin to devour. They binged watched Disney movies and Jungkook swore that he didn’t sing along to the song, no matter how much Seokjin insisted that he did.

“You were singing along with Ariel!”

“I was not!”

“Yes you were!”

“No, I wasn’t.”

And they got into topic about how aliens give birth or how stuffed toys have asthma.

“Stuffed toys don’t get asthma attacks, Jin. They don’t even breathe!”

“Yes, they do! That’s why we should clean Mr. Alpaca more often. You almost killed him though!”

“That was one time and it was your fault.”

“Murderer! You should be sent to jail!”

They filled the day with laughter, although there had been slight bickering but not too big. Sunset came and Jungkook knew that the time was close. Seokjin had long stopped laughing and there was silence between the two of them.

The first to break it had been Jungkook.

“Jin, you don’t have to do it.” Jungkook said, “You can just stay here. You don’t have to disappear.”

Seokjin sighed, he knew that Jungkook would suggest it at some point, “I can’t Jungkook.”

“Why not? Why are you so desperate for this? Do you really wanna leave?” Jungkook faced him, “You wanna leave me? But there were so many things we haven’t even done yet. Don’t you want to try doing them with me? Don’t you wanna do them together?”

“I want to, Jungkook. I really want to be with you.” Seokjin smiled softly, “But I don’t want to be selfish. Jimin is hurting. You didn’t tell me but I kind of understood. When you returned home that night, there was something in your eyes. I knew what it was. You were hurting too.”

“Seokjin, I’m hurting because of you.” Jungkook said, “Don’t leave, please.”

“If I stay here, I’ll keep on hurting Jimin who blames himself for my death, and I can’t let him do that to himself. I need to assure him that everything will be alright even if it means—“ Seokjin stopped himself when he saw Jungkook shed tears. He smiled sadly and embraced Jungkook, “I’m also doing this because I love yo—“

“If you love me, then stay.” Jungkook’s voice broke, just like his heart, “Don’t leave. Stay. Stay with me. We can find other ways to help Jimin, we can look for other ways just please don’t do this. Don’t disappear, don’t leave me, please, please.”

“Jungkook, listen to me.” Seokjin broke them embrace and held Jungkook’s face, staring deep into his tear-stained eyes, “Whether I grant my final wishes or not, one day, I’ll fade away eventually. I don’t know when it will happen but a time may come that my time as a ghost will run out and I’ll just disappear. Without a warning, without any goodbye. I don’t want to leave you like that. I don’t want to leave without any closure, and I don’t want to pain you. I’m telling you now so that even if you may be broken now, you’ll have time to heal.”

“But it’s unfair.” Jungkook held Seokjin this time, “You deserve so much more and I haven’t even given you that. We were supposed to do so many things together, there were things I was supposed to give to you, there is so much things that we could have done! You can’t leave me yet, I need you.”

“Jungkook, please. Don’t do this to me. Do you think it doesn’t hurt for me to do this?” Seokjin asked, tears finally falling from his eyes, “If I could have lived, none of these would have happened and I could’ve loved you better than I could right now. If I had the warmth to give you then I would hold you forever in my arms. But there are so many things that I couldn’t do for you too. You deserve so much more than a ghost who doesn’t even have a beating heart—“

“No—“

“Nor who has warmth to give. You deserve so much more.” Seokjin smiled, “And the only thing I can do for you is give you freedom and time. You need to live your life, something that doesn’t involve me. And something that’s worth so much more. You need time to heal, so you could move on. Find someone better, live a life better.”

“I don’t want to live a life without you, Jin.” Jungkook said, “I just love you so much, I love you so, so much.”

“If you love me,” Seokjin, said, “Please understand, and promise me, you’ll live on. Live a better life. Live a life that you deserve. And please, also live on behalf of me.”

Jungkook couldn’t find the words to speak. He just let Seokjin hold him, and he held Seokjin in a tight embrace. And the tears fell as they shared their last kiss.

It was a cold kiss, but it gave him warmth.

It was unbearably cold, but heartbreakingly warm.

 

 

Later that night, Jimin came to Jungkook’s residence. He had been confused as to why he was called, but he also had his head down in shame, embarrassed when he remembered that Jungkook had seen him in his vulnerable state, and had heard his confession.

Nevertheless, Jungkook spoke little words that night, but it had been words enough to shatter the shame and open the desperation in Jimin’s constricted heart.

“Seokjin wants to see you.” Jungkook said in the softest of voice Jimin has ever heard from him. But Jimin also didn’t question him. He remembered when Jungkook had told him about the ghost of his brother.

He wants to meet his brother again.

Jungkook had given him that chance and he was willing to do anything just to have that chance.

He held Jungkook in an embrace, where he poured his gratitude and promised to pay him back in return. Jungkook felt his gratitude and heard his promises, but that broke his heart even more.

Because promises, for him, meant patience. And patience means waiting.

Waiting breaks the broken heart and turns the shattered pieces into dust over the cracks of time.

 

That night, there were whispered vows and hushed cries inside the room. Jungkook sat outside, his back against the door. He heard the brothers’inside the room. He heard them cry and knew that they were making up for lost time.

Jungkook had tears fall down from his eyes but he didn’t bother to stop them. He just cried silently. He wanted to get inside and wrap Seokjin in his arms, have him all for himself and keep him forever. But Jungkook wanted Seokjin as much as he loved him.

And loving him meant respecting his decisions.

Love meant letting go.

That night, Seokjin held his brother in an embrace.

Jungkook dreaded the coming morning.

 

 

 

Jimin had left when Jungkook had woke up the next day. The raven didn’t have enough strength to even stand from his position from the door nor did he have the voice to reply to Jimin’s goodbye. Jimin leaving only meant that there was nothing for him to stay for.

Jimin leaving meant that it was over. The last moments had been over, and the wish has been granted.

And Jungkook knew what it meant when wishes had been fulfilled.

 

 

Jungkook spent days and days alone. It was silent, and lonely, and sad. He never realized how big the house had been until now. Without any company, without the laughter that echoed through the walls, nor those pizza boxes stacked in the kitchen.

It had been lonely without him.

Heart-wrenching, even.

It was said without Seokjin. But Jungkook will move on. He will try.

Because he promised.

And so he spent weeks and weeks like that. He tried to live like a normal human. Interacted with others and got himself into college.

Years later, he had graduated, and he finally published his first book. Aunt Boram had been so surprised because she didn’t know he had the ability to weave words into beautiful tales, nor did she not expect that words had been sweet like honey but sharp like knives.

Even so, Jungkook just smiled at her and said, “I had a great teacher.”

He still lived in that house. The same two-story house with the white walls and the flat screened TV he left open whenever he’s alone but doesn’t even bother watching. The house was quiet aside from the sounds on the television but it was alright, Jungkook can live with this peace.

Upstairs, the room still had different paints on different sides. One had been constantly changing and filled with papers, drafts, books and pictures from Jungkook’s work. But the other side hadn’t changed a bit.

The walls were still pink, although the color has faded over time. The alpaca that still had some of the paint stuck in its fur was collecting dust on top of the neat bed. There were no changes and Jungkook doesn’t have the heart to touch it.

He may have moved on in life since all these years, but his heart remains the same.

His heart will forever be with the bright smiles and stars in those eyes.

 

While Jungkook had been working non-stop for the last few hours. He barely had any sleep and had skipped dinner. He was overdosed with caffeine and there were dark circles under his eyes. Still, he needed to finish work, because the deadline is fast approaching and his editor would kill him if he knew that Jungkook was still far from the end.

His mind was a mess and he can’t find the right words to describe what he wanted his characters to feel. He wanted to write something beautiful, something special.

But no words were enough to describe the character in the story.

There was something. A word he can’t find.

He could have just used words such as beautiful or special for this particular character but he doesn’t. Because this particular character is special, inspired from someone that was buried deep in Jungkook’s heart.

In the midst of the storm in his mind and heart, he was interrupted by the sound of doorbells. He had thought that it had just been a passerby asking for directions or a religious man wanting a moment to talk about Jesus, not that he was against religion. He just doesn’t have any.

But the doorbells were persistent and Jungkook gave a sigh in defeat before he leaves his place in front of his laptop, out from his haven and moving towards the door.

When he opens the door, he was in for a surprise when there was a familiar man at his door, holding two pizza boxes in his hand and saying, “Pizza delivery! Long time no see, Kookie!”

“Hoseok-hyung?” Jungkook blinked twice, surprised as to why Hoseok had been here, “I think you got the wrong house, I haven’t ordered anything.”

“Well, you haven’t ordered from us for so long already. I was surprised when I heard that there was an order in this address.” Hoseok laughed, “I miss you Kookie!”

“I miss you too, hyung.” Jungkook smiled, “But really, I didn’t order anything.”

“Well then, just accept these pizza for free then.” Hoseok offered with a smile before he handed the boxes to a surprised Jungkook and ruffled his hair, “My treat.”

“But hyung—“

“I’m already promoted as the manager, did you know?” Hoseok grinned, “But I volunteered to deliver these for you. I just miss you so much. Look at you, you look like you’ve grown into a man. Look how tall you are, or how buff you’ve become. Looks at those arms and legs, have you been working out?”

“In my free time, yes.” Jungkook chuckled, “But thank you for your offer, hyung.”

“Yeah, no problem, Kookie.” Hoseok smiled, “I’ll see you around then.”

“Yeah.” Jungkook smiled and waved as Hoseok left.

When the man was gone, Jungkook looked down in confusion at the pizza boxes he had. He shook his head and decided to bring them upstairs and eat. There was no one to scold him about it anyway. When he opened the boxes and ate one of the slices, he relished in the taste the brought him nostalgia.

This taste can’t help but remind him of a certain someone.

When he finished about four slices, he decided that he should start working on his story again. When he faced the computer, he was surprised when there was a sentence in his work that he didn’t remember adding.

 

‘Please don’t eat in the room or ants will come and please clean Mr. Alpaca. He’s having an asthma right now.’

 

Jungkook’s eyes were wide and his heart was beating loud. And before he can stop himself, tears were gathering and he couldn’t stop them as they flowed down.

FIN



This is the final chapter guys, I hoped that it was enough for all of you. I've been having the writer's block for this story and I didn't know how to end it but I hope you would all like how it ended up even tho Seokjin was gone. Although I'll leave the ending up for you guys to interpret. 

Thank you much for everyone who subscribed and supported this fic. This ship had been my very first ship and I'm glad that I finally finished a story for them. I also have other Jinkook stories so you could check it out if you want.
 

Also, just a short advertisment for anyone who likes KrisHan, please give this fic a chance and subscribe to this story: Dying Embers

Thank you so much for everyone who read, subscribed, commented and upvoted this story. I'm sorry that I had been gone for long but I hope this chapter had been worth the wait. Thank you everyone. 

Chrysallion