Chapter 02

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

About a week had passed since the princess' visit. Minseok seemed more relaxed in Jongdae’s eyes, but the latter would always notice that his friend was always a little anxious when they went diving.

 

Jongdae sat at the desk in his room with his head laid comfortably on his left arm while his right hand played with his pen. He sighed and tapped the desk with the back of the pen.

 

"Corals... Starfish... Stingrays..." He enumerated one by one.

 

He could never understand how others could write fifteen pages for a report every two weeks. He only had seven pages written and he wasn't even sure what he had wrote. Even Minseok managed to write twice the pages Jongdae produced. The senior divers had always looked down on him for his poor content in his report.

 

Being the great procrastinator he is, he put his papers aside for a second and picked up his camera. He peeked outside the room to check if anyone was there and closed the door when he saw nobody. He went back to his desk and grimaced at the report before comfortably settling in Minseok's bed with his camera. He was too lazy to climb the ladder into his own bunk.

 

He looked at every picture he took and he felt proud. Each of them was beautiful, at least the senior divers have always favoured his pictures. He often mentally thanked his photography class teacher from high school for that.

 

As he admired a picture of corals, something in the picture caught his eye. It looked like it was part of the rock beneath it, yet it somewhat seems off. He zoomed in on it, but the picture only got pixelated and he got annoyed. Jongdae swiped to the next picture and shrugged  off the curiosity, it was probably just his imagination.

 

When he went through all the pictures in his camera, he sat up to see the report screaming at him to finish it. The diver groaned as he got out of bed and sat in the chair at the desk, grumbling. He glared at the pile of papers and reluctantly picked up his pen to write.

 

Jongdae had enough of it. He had barely written a page since he got off Minseok's bed. He concluded his report and arranged the pages in a neat pile before stapling it together. If he got to keep his job as a diver even with his previous poor reports, it wasn't worth trying to compete with others with the number of pages that seemed to increase every year. Besides, writing reports wasn't the  reason why he wanted to become a diver.

 

After printing out the best pictures he took underwater, he clipped them to the report. He left the final product on the desk and decided to go for a swim in the cold sea before turning in the bloody work.

 

On his way out, there was a big group of people gathered around a television in the main living room, all concentrated on the screen. Jongdae ignored it and tried to get past a few people that were rushing to the main living room when someone grabbed his arm and pulled him into the room.

 

“Jongdae, Jongdae, watch with me.” Minseok put an arm around Jongdae’s neck, to make sure he wouldn't escape.

 

“I'm not interested in those sappy dramas Minseok.” Jongdae groaned quietly and tried to pry the arm around his neck.

 

“It's not sappy dramas. It's the news.” Minseok tightened his grip on Jongdae without choking him. Not strong enough to pry the arm away, Jongdae sighed and let his hands fall to his sides.

 

“Fine, I'll watch the news with you. Just let go of my neck.” Jongdae said as he lightly tapped Minseok’s arm.

 

“What if you run away?” Minseok asked, not letting go the slightest bit.

 

“I won't.” He rolled his eyes and Minseok loosen his grip to rest his arm on his friend’s shoulder.

 

Jongdae watched the television in boredom as a woman in formal clothing monotonously delivered the information. He looked around himself and only saw people completely absorbed into the lady. He didn't understand what so interesting about a boring woman talking boringly to a camera on a boring channel. He also found it annoying that the volume was turned to the max.

 

He started zoning out, thinking about his swim in the cold sea. People started gasping around him, so he paid attention to the television again. The news channel was showing a live footage of a riot at the front of the chancellor's castle before it returned to the boring newswoman.

 

"Jongdae, let's go." Minseok whispered. Jongdae turned to his friend, surprised that he wanted to leave already. He also didn't miss the  cold sweat forming on Minseok’s brow.

 

Minseok slowly tugged him away with the arm he had around Jongdae's shoulder. Jongdae didn't even resist since he wanted to escape the crowded place since he arrived. When he and Minseok were near exit of the living room, for some reason, the loud, boring and monotonous voice of the lady seemed to catch his interest.

 

"Wait, Minseok." Jongdae rested his hand on Minseok's chest to stop him. He seemed like he was blankly staring at the floor, but he was concentr

Please log in to read the full chapter