Chapter 11

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jongdae watched the light from the sunrise appear through the window of the room. He hadn’t gotten a wink of sleep by the time Minseok had gotten out of bed. The older looked up at Jongdae for a moment and went to the bathroom to fetch a glass of warm water.

 

“Here, drink some warm water Jongdae.” He said as he stepped out of the bathroom, a glass of water in hand.

 

“I want it cold.” Jongdae said as he sat up in his bunk and stared at the other. He reckoned that if he can’t sleep, he’d stay awake.

 

“Ah. One second.” his partner answered and intensely stared at the glass of water. A few seconds later, he could see that some water had condensed around the glass.

 

“Here. It’s cold now.” Minseok said and raised the cup towards Jongdae. He could only blink a few times at his friend.

 

“What are you talking about? It’s not cold.” the younger pointed at the glass.

 

“Try it and you’ll know.”

 

Jongdae carefully picked the cup of water up and he was surprised that it was nearly freezing. He too a sip and shivered in response. He glanced at his partner that was waiting for a reply.

 

“I think I’d prefer warm water instead.” He told the older diver. The latter sighed as he took the cup and went to the bathroom this time to get warm water.

 

When Jongdae gulped down the liquid, he climbed down the ladder with a yawn. He changed into shorts and kept on his jacket, not having changed from the night before. Before leaving, he turned to Minseok and yawned once again.

 

“Did you not sleep?” the older diver asked.

 

“Why? Did my yawns tell you that?”

 

“Your yawns and those big saggy bags under your eyes.” he gestured the younger’s face, “I think you should stay here and catch up on some sleep.”

 

“I can’t sleep.”

 

“What do you plan on doing then?”

 

***

 

When Youngmin and Sehun were trying to follow Minseok’s tail as they jogged, Jongdae hid behind the boulder, the one he and Minseok always relaxed and cooled down after a jog, fast asleep. He woke up once or twice, because of the cold when the sun wasn’t warming him when the clouds got in the way.

 

“Watch out!” Sehun called when Jongdae came out from behind the boulder. The two ended up crashing into each other and falling to the ground with a thud. The diver groaned when he felt his ankle in pain as he pushed the tall student off him.

 

“Are you okay?” Sehun quickly asked as he sat next to Jongdae who also sat up.

 

The diver reached over to touch his ankle and winced when pain came.

 

“Minseok Hyung! Jongdae Hyung is hurt!” Sehun called and the older diver came running to his partner quickly. Youngmin stood next to them, observing quietly.

 

He crouched down and inspected his friend’s whole body and stopped at the ankle when he saw it slowly swelling up.

 

“I think it’s sprained.” He judged as he poked it. Jongdae responded to the poke by hitting him on the shoulder not before wincing at the pressure.

 

“Way to go Sherlock. It definitely did not feel any pain when you poked it.” Jongdae sarcastically commented with a frown on his face.

 

“Sorry, but I had to check, Watson.” Minseok replied as he put his hand over the swollen ankle and ordered the two students with tasks, “Youngmin, go with Sehun to the medical center to tell them to prepare a bed and bring the stretcher out here.”

 

The two students quickly nodded and took off in a run as if a sprained ankle was a life-threatening injury. Minseok looked around for anyone and let out the breath he was holding. He removed Jongdae’s shoe and sock and took the water bottle attached to his belt before emptying it on Jongdae’s ankle. He rested his hand on the wet ankle and concentrated. The next thing Jongdae knew was that his ankle suddenly felt really cold. He realized his partner was using his ice powers.

 

“Hey! What are you doing?” Jongdae said and knocked his hand off his ankle. He could see a very thin layer of ice where Minseok had poured water.

 

“There’s nothing else around here to cool your ankle and I can make a layer of ice with the water I poured over it.” the older whispered.

 

“What if someone sees? Anyone could be here at this time of the day.” he retorted with a quiet voice.

 

“What I’m doing is not noticeable if you don’t touch it. Other’s will only think I’m holding your ankle.” Minseok said, replacing his hand on the swollen ankle and recreated the thin layer of ice that had melted.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter