Chapter 07

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

“Why does the princess have to like you and keep sticking to you like a chewing gum? We don't even know how she discovers how people are outlanders, so I don't know what to do when she's around!” Minseok quietly complained as the two waited for the four students to come out. He ran his fingers through his hair, trying to calm down.

 

“How should I know why the princess likes me? She's been sticking to me ever since I became a diver here. Heck! Even when I was here for my Annual Divers’ Training, she kept lurking around me.” Jongdae retorted at an equally quiet voice.

 

“You never took the initiative to ask her?” Minseok asked, a little less agitated.

 

“Look, put yourself in my shoes. Yoonju or I ever stated out our own feelings to each other before and do you think I would be stupid enough to suddenly ask her why she likes me out of the blue? She's going to think I like her.” Jongdae explained.

 

There was a silence before Minseok spoke up,

 

“So you like her?”

 

“What? No! I never said that. I like her, but not in a romantic way and I even told her that directly.” Jongdae punched his partner’s shoulder.

 

“So you like her, but you don't like her. You told her, but you didn't ask her why she liked you. Makes total sense dude.”

 

“The atmosphere didn't allow it. It didn't feel right to ask her.”

 

“Wow now you blame atmosphere for not asking her. You just don't want to admit that you at having a social life.” Minseok snickered.

 

“Fine. I admit I . Happy?” Jongdae glared at him.

 

“Happy.”

 

It was silent once again until Minseok spoke up,

 

“But what do I do? The fact that you like the princess doesn't change what I should and shouldn't do around her.”

 

“I do not like the princess.” Jongdae frowned, but Minseok looked serious. “Just be how you are around me. Pretend she's not there and stop thinking about being discovered.” He added.

 

“Easier said than done.”

 

Another silence followed, but this time it was interrupted by Sehun’s footsteps as he approached the two divers. Jongdae skeptically gave the student a glance. He still thought it was a little weird that the boy suddenly spoke up to ask the senior diver a question when he usually stayed quiet and obedient with Jongdae and Minseok. Maybe he was just thinking too much.

 

Soon after, Yoonmi, followed by the YoungDong Duo, came out and joined them. They started heading back to the students’ cabins, but Jongdae felt that it was not right that he had to part with the two so soon. Sure it had been only a few days he had been training Yoonmi and Donghoon, well not really the latter, but he felt like he couldn't just say a quick goodbye to them.

 

When they arrived at the cabins, he waved them goodbye and they all walked towards their respective rooms. Yoonmi didn't forget to thank him for being her trainer before leaving. Jongdae could only blame his lame social skills for a poor response as he watched them leave.

 

“Let's go. I'm hungry.” Minseok said, his hand on his partner’s shoulder.

 

“Min Yoonmi and Jung Donghoon! Come back here!” Jongdae called before they were out of earshot.

 

The two curiously walked back and Youngmin loudly shouted; “Believe it or not, but Baby Face’s going to say he'll miss you Donghoon!”

 

“That twerp.” Minseok muttered and yelled back at him; “Not going to happen!”

 

“Just shut up. Now he knows you respond when he calls you Baby Face.” Jongdae rolled his eyes.

 

“Oh sh*t that's true…” Minseok covered his mouth, appalled at the sudden realization.

 

Both students stopped in front of Jongdae and stood there waiting for what he would tell them. The diver on the other hand had no idea what to do so he scratched his head. He glanced at his partner, but he had no idea why Jongdae had called them back, so he did the first thing that came to his mind.

 

“You guys want to join us for dinner?” Jongdae blurted out. The two glanced at each other in confusion at why Jongdae would be asking them that.

 

“You guys aren't my students anymore since we've finished the training for today, so you can deny if you want.” Jongdae tried and the two gave each other glances once more. It's not like they can refuse him.

 

“We'll come, right?” Yoonmi said and looked at Donghoon.

 

“Yeah.” He nodded.

 

“Let's go then.” Jongdae gestured the way and off they went.

 

“What are you doing?” Minseok whispered, without glancing at his partner.

 

“Aren't you going to say farewell to your students that are leaving?” Jongdae whispered back, rolling his eyes.

 

“Okay, but Jung Donghoon?” He finally looked at his partner with an eyebrow raised.

 

“Well at least you won't have to deal with the YoungDong Duo, but with the Youngmin Single. Just be nice and say goodbye.” He quietly retorted.

 

“Fine. But we're going to that one barbecue at the corner tonight as a farewell.” Minseok wriggled his brows, “Who's going to pay?” He let out a cough that sounded very much like “It was your idea”.

 

***

 

“No alcohol! You're a student!” Jongdae tried taking the glass away from Donghoon who succe

Please log in to read the full chapter