Chapter 14

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

The sky started to darken with the black clouds quickly approaching. The winds grew stronger, blowing the dust higher into the air. Jongdae ran towards the divers’ section with the alarms ringing loudly around him, guards hot on his heel. He felt his pearl safely tucked in his chest pocket. As long as he had it, he might get away.

 

By the time he got to the main building, everybody was running around due to the sudden fuss. Jongdae had lost the guards behind him and tried to blend into the busy crowd. The students were getting ordered around, but they were way too shocked and confused by the loud alarms to listen.

 

“Alert. Outlander alert. Please stand by your positions soldiers.” The loudspeaker announced.

 

The outlander they were trying to catch was probably himself, he reckoned, so he took advantage of the chaotic situation to get as far as possible. He bumped into many people as he tried to get away and right before he got to a clear space, he knocked someone’s shoulder so hard that he fell to the ground with his hat flying off his head.

 

He looked up, praying so hard it wasn't a guard. He wasn't expecting that person to be Sehun.

 

“Jongdae Hyung.” the student called.

 

The diver made a move to respond back, but spotting the guards running towards him, he quickly stood and ran as fast as he could. He wasn't even sure where to go, but the only thing in his mind was to get the guards off his trail.

 

“The canines will be deployed to help with the search.” The loudspeaker announced.

 

Scolding himself for easily dropping his hat and forgetting to pick it back up, he dashed forward, hoping to find something to mask his scent like a river or something. The sea was definitely a danger zone since escaping there would be practically impossible with nothing to hide himself with, so he ran for the woods. Having some cover was better than having none.

 

Once in the woods, he didn't dare looking behind him and kept running. Even if there was no one, he was sure they would find him with his sent. When he felt his stamina lower, he glanced behind him and all he could see was trees and bushes everywhere. It had been a good half an hour since he entered the forest and he hadn't stopped to rest. He leaned his arms on his knees, trying to regain his breath, but decided to continue on after a second or so. If he was going to run away, he was going to do it properly.

 

The dark clouds above him covered the sun and the sky was almost as dark as at night. When Jongdae came across a cabin in the woods, he knocked on the door. There was no answer, so he backtracked a little to observe the cabin’s details. The cabin itself seemed quite well built with the door frames and window frames still in place, but fragile. Someone could easily tell that there was people living there. However, there was some details that said otherwise. There was rusted chain hanging from the side of the railing of the porch and the porch itself seemed pretty beaten and scratched, probably by some wild bears or packs of wolves.

 

Jongdae decided to enter it. Whether it was abandoned or still in good use, he'll find out when he'll be inside. Besides, if he can find some clothes, he could change into them and ditch his uniform to avoid being caught by the canines.

 

Upon entering, he realized that it wasn't as big as it looked like on the outside and that the cabin was obviously a

Please log in to read the full chapter