Chapter 03

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

Warning. Swearing ahead. (I don't know it should be a warning, but I usually avoid swears in my story) Oh! And mentions of bullying but nothing graphic.  

As Minseok killed the engine, Jongdae waited for his partner to appear with anxiousness, maybe even excitement. He was dying to finally know why Minseok had been acting strangely since the first time he had met the princess. The other diver’s demeanor was weird and unusual, and that made Jongdae uncomfortable. However, the idea  that Minseok wanted to talk about it out in the sea was unsettling. Why out here? Why not comfortably in the cabin they shared?

"Can you pass me the stuff?" 

Jongdae jumped at Minseok's voice and pulled out the equipment for both of them. They both sat on the edge of the boat and quietly geared up. Turning to Minseok to check if he was ready, Jongdae was a little surprised that his diving partner was already looking at him. Minseok removed the mouthpiece and Jongdae followed. 

“Everybody hates the outlanders right?” Minseok asked even though the answer was obvious. Jongdae nodded. 

“Ugh. This is just stupid.” Minseok scratched his head and looked down. 

“No, no, no. It’s not stupid. Tell me.” Jongdae pushed a little. Minseok shook his head, 

“It’s not worth it. It’s nothing, really.” 

 “I’ll buy food for you later if you want.” He bribed and Minseok let out a little snort before laughing. 

“You know my weaknesses too well.” He looked at Jongdae. 

“Well, we’ve been friends for quite a while if you haven’t  realized.” Jongdae joked and a faint smile appeared on Minseok’s face. 

“That’s right. We have been friends for a while.” The latter seemed to be considering something before letting out a breath. 

“Alright, I’ll tell you. You better buy me food later.” Minseok eyed his partner. 

“I swear, I will.” Jongdae promised with his right hand on the left side of his chest and his left hand in the air. 

“And you better keep your mouth shut.” Jongdae mimed zipping his mouth shut, his right hand still on his heart. 

“How do I know you’re not lying?” Minseok eyed his partner. Jongdae noticed that his friend had become very serious. 

“I’m Kim Jongdae.” He reassured his partner, “You know how I am.” 

There was a long dreaded silence and Jongdae was only waiting for his friend to respond to him. 

“I’m an outlander.” Minseok announced and he continued after a pause, “and I became a diver to find my pearl.” 

Jongdae could only stare at his friend, his hand still on his heart. He almost felt like his heart stopped from shock. 

“What?” 

“Let’s go.” Minseok said, pointing the sea with his thumb. Jongdae noticed that his friend was now wearing a sad smile. He watched him putting back the mouthpiece and pressing a button on his wristband before letting himself fall in the water altogether. He watched a few bubbles pop at the surface when he suddenly realized that he couldn’t let his friend dive alone. He quickly put back his mouthpiece and pressed a button on his wristband as well before falling into the water. 

*** 

Jongdae couldn't believe it. Kim Minseok, his friend that has chubby cheeks and that's in love with food is an outlander. He watched his friend inhale his dinner with a big smile. Since he told Jongdae his secret, Minseok was a lot more hyperactive, just like before the princess visited. The only thought that went through his mind was, “again”. 

“You know, Jongdae, the food here today is surprisingly a lot more delicious than usual.” Minseok commented when he reminded himself to slow down and breath in between each bite. 

Jongdae nodded and continued to watch his friend devour his food while he continued to accept the fact that Minseok was his second partner that was an outlander. 

Jongdae had mixed feelings. He was angry, yet afraid. Had Minseok only became a diver solely to find his pearl? Would he run away once he had gotten what he wanted? Being someone that's very passionate about his job (except for the reports— can't forget that), it irritated Jongdae when other people didn't take their job as serious as he does. These thoughts made him burn in anger, but his fear was holding him back from exploding. What if Minseok ends up like his best friend? What if Jongdae had to watch another one of his best friend and diving partners be forcefully taken away again? 

"You going to finish that?" Minseok cut his thoughts short. Jongdae blinked and pushed his tray towards his friend. The elder thanked him before continuing the meal. 

Jongdae was once again deep in thoughts as he watched his friend devour the food. However, this time, he wondered how he would get rid of those haunting question he h

Please log in to read the full chapter