Chapter 10

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

Jongdae rubbed his eyes in disbelief. Three pearls. Three, real, pearls sitting in Minseok’s palm as if they weren’t rarer than diamonds.

 

“You found three?” Jongdae asked, still unable to believe he was seeing three pearls at such close proximity.

 

“Yes three,” Minseok confirmed.

 

“How did you even find them with Youngmin right next to you? I thought we wouldn’t even be able to see any marine life, because we didn't go out very far since the students still need to adapt to the feeling of heavy pressure.” the younger asked, still staring at the three jewels in Minseok’s palm.

 

“Well it’s funny. Youngmin and I kept going deeper until we reached a coral reef. I asked, well gestured him if he was okay or if he was feeling uneasy, but he was completely fine. Maybe it was because he’s really fit.”

 

A faint smile appeared on Minseok’s face and Jongdae started thinking if the other was starting to get comfortable with the student. Minseok continued, “Since he was comfortable, I passed him my camera, don’t ask me why I brought it with me, and let him take a few pictures and explore a little while I followed him.

 

“Some time passed and Youngmin accidentally knocked some weird looking rocks that caught my attention. They turned out to be oysters. One of them had their shell open and I saw a pearl, so I quickly snatched it. Then I picked another oster out and forced it open…” He looked at Jongdae for his reaction, because as divers, they weren’t allowed to harm any kind of marine animal unless it threatened their lives. Jongdae sighed before gesturing him to continue.

 

“When I opened it, it was jackpot. That oyster I opened had two pearls! So I took them and caught up to Youngmin who was too busy taking pictures to notice anything.” Minseok excitedly finished, but he pursed his lips after a second or two. “I feel sorry for the oyster thought…”

 

“I’ll let it pass.” Jongdae said a moment later. Right now, what’s important is that the fact Minseok found three pearls at once. He stared at the three in his partner’s palm and noticed that was shining dimly. He cocked his head in confusing at it.

 

“Thank you.” Minseok said, oblivious to his friend’s confusion.

 

“Why is that one shining dimly?”

 

The older looked in his palms and picked up the one Jongdae pointed out. He smiled at it as he played with the tiny jewel between his fingers.

 

“This one is the one that reacted to me. It’s my pearl and that means that I can use my powers now.” Minseok explained.

 

“What are your powers?” Jongdae asked curiously.

 

“Ice. Freeze. Whatever you call it, but you get the point.”

 

Jongdae stared at the pearl between his friend’s fingers. It was glowing a little bit and it had a blue pale colour to it. Suddenly, he came to realize one important point.

 

“Is that why you’re never cold or freezing when we go jogging at dawn? You’re practically immune to the cold and now you tell me you can control it or something. Is there a link?”

 

Minseok only shrugged his shoulders.

 

“Let me hold one.” Jongdae said and reached out for one of the two that rested in the older’s palm that had a grey glistening colour.

 

The moment he touched it, he felt an electric shock and he quickly retracted his hand. Maybe, he thought, it was probably just static electricity, he reached out again, but once again he felt that shock. He rubbed his fingers to make the feeling go away and Minseok stared at him in confusion.

 

“Aren’t you getting shocked by the pearls?” He asked the older.

 

“What are you talking about? The only thing I’m feeling is that it’s smooth. Little cold, but smooth” Minseok said while making the pearls roll around his palm a little.

 

Jongdae reached out for the same pearl again and, this time, instead of quickly retracting his fingers, he buried the jewel in his palm, enduring the little electric shocks caused by it. He felt the shock grow stronger and travel through his body. It was starting to get really strong and he shut his eyes to deal with the electric current running through him.

 

“Jongdae, what’s wrong?” Minseok asked, concerned by his friend's sudden weird behaviour.

 

The younger didn’t answer. He could feel the shocks from head to toe by then causing him to grip the pearl harder. Suddenly, the shocks subsided and Jongdae felt normal once again. He opened an eye and saw Minseok squat in front of him in concern.

 

“Are you alright?” He asked the younger.

Please log in to read the full chapter