Chapter 12

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

With the end of the Annual Diver’s Training approaching, everyone was all over the place, trying to get as much training in as possible. However, that didn't include Jongdae, Minseok, Youngmin and Sehun. The four of them were simply sitting in the empty cafeteria, enjoying the extra food the lady gave them, because they were the only ones she saw since morning.

 

“Why aren't we training like everyone else instead of eating food here?” Youngmin complained, staring at the empty cafeteria.

 

“Do you want to be well prepared or feel exhausted when you're doing the final examination?” Minseok pointed out.

 

“Guess you're right, Baby Face.”

 

“Wow.” The two turned to Jongdae with a frown.

 

“What?” They both asked in unison.

 

“I find it unusually fast that your hatred towards each other can blossom into friendship and love, like twins, in a space of one month.”

 

“I don't love him.” They both said in unison.

 

“Stop saying what I'm saying.” They continued together and groaned when they realized they said the same thing at the same time, again.

 

“Exactly what I mean.” Jongdae gestured the scene that had just happened between them.

 

“Jongdae!”

 

The said person turned to the voice and saw Sunggyu walking towards him with a boy dressed casually behind him.

 

“Your brother is here to visit you.” Sunggyu announced before happily waving goodbye to him.

 

“You have a brother?” Minseok quietly asked and his partner nodded.

 

“What are you doing here, Jongin?” Jongdae asked, standing up from his seat.

 

“I have a little vacation before I need to join the princess for the ending ceremony in a few days, so I thought, why don't I come visit? We couldn't even talk when the Annual Divers’ Training started.”

 

Jongdae glanced at Minseok and the latter seemed antsy.

 

“Wait you're the military chief?” Youngmin asked, fully interested at the revelation.

 

“Yes, I am.”

 

Minseok jaw dropped.

 

“Jongin, let's go talk elsewhere.” Jongdae tried bringing him out of the place, but he stopped him.

 

“Why Hyung? Is it something private?” Jongin asked innocently.

 

“Woah. You're younger than Jongdae Hyung.” Youngmin said, fascinated.

 

“You’re one of his students right?” the younger brother asked.

 

“Yes, but I prefer this baby face.” Youngmin pointed at Minseok who only rolled his eyes.

 

“Jongin, come with me.” Jongdae dragged him to his cabin. He closed the door and made Jongin sit in the desk chair. Maybe the desk chair could be useful sometimes. He went into the bathroom to get his brother a cup of water and gave it to him.

 

“You've grown stronger since the last time I met you.” the younger brother commented, sipping on the water.

 

“Yeah. That was like before you went to military camp years ago.” Jongdae responded incredulously, “Why are you randomly visiting?” He asked.

 

“I wanted to talk to you since I saw you during the first day of the Annual Divers’ Training, but you disappeared when I went to find you.” Jongin answered as if nothing was wrong.

 

“Why would you want to talk to me?” Jongdae frowned. He was starting to get annoyed.

 

“Because you never come to the family reunions! I know nothing of you for the past years and our parents refuse to talk about it with me.”

 

“Just leave. I don’t want to see you.” he brushed the younger off.

 

“I’m not going to leave until you tell me something.” Jongin crossed his arms and legs on the desk chair like a child.

 

“Stop being stubborn.” Jongdae made a move to pull him out of the chair, but he was surprised, the younger was stronger than he thought.

 

“I told you I’m not going to move.” The younger said, putting his feet down.

 

“That’s because they see me as a failure and they don’t want a successful military chief to look up to an older brother that’s simply a diver trying to help conserve marine life.” Jongdae explained, raising his voice, “Why don’t I go to the family reunions? Because if I go, they would only be pampering you with their love and I would be treated as if I wasn’t even there. They don’t even care if I come or not, because they don’t want a son like me.”

 

It was silent and the only sound that could be heard was Jongdae’s breaths as he ran his hand through his hair.

 

“Hyung… I didn’t know–”

 

Please log in to read the full chapter