Chapter 09

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

 

Probably a double update for some of you, because last chapter was updated about 24 hours ago... :D

 

While the students prepared for their first dive, Minseok went over to help them, being careful not to trip with his flippers on. While Jongdae went to set an alert on his wristband that monitors his air tank’s pressure for when he must go back to the surface. Seeing it blank, Jongdae scratched his head in annoyment. He kept forgetting to get it looked at.

 

“Minseok, can you come over here for a second?” Jongdae called for him. The older finished helping the students with their air tanks before struggling to walk over to Jongdae with his blue flippers.

 

“What’s up?”

 

“My wristband is broken, so I’ll have to keep watch of my air tank’s pressure manually–”

 

“Wait. What did you say? You’re wristband is broken?” Minseok interrupted him and grabbed the arm that’s wearing the object.

 

“It’s completely blank and no matter what button you press, it stays blank.” Jongdae said as the older ignored what he said and randomly pressed the buttons as if it would bring the wristband back to life.

 

“How did you even break it? It’s practically invincible to everything.” Minseok let his arm fall back to his side, but kept staring at the non-functioning wristband. Jongdae shrugged in response.

 

“I’ll be fine. I just called you over to say you’ll have more responsibility taking care of the students since I’ll be busy keeping watch of the pressure for my air tank.”

 

“Geez. You keep making me work more.” Minseok rolled his eyes.

 

“Seniority.” Jongdae chimed.

 

“Older than you.” Minseok said, imitating the younger’s voice with a frown.

 

The two divers walked over to the two students who were waiting like two sitting ducks with  mouthpieces in their mouths. Youngmin made a move to remove the mouthpiece to comment how ridiculous the two divers looked while walking with flippers, but resisted since he remembered he promised not to say any insults.

 

“Alright. Let’s double check everything.” Jongdae said and went towards Sehun whilst Minseok moved towards Youngmin, unwillingly.

 

He checked the tank’s pressure, mouthpiece, the goggles for any leaks that would cause uncomfort or even issues. He made sure Sehun was wearing a weight belt, because he knew from the swimming training activities that he easily floats to the surface.

 

“Alright, all set for Sehun.” Jongdae announced.

 

“Youngmin as well.”

 

The two divers lowered on their goggles and they all sat on the edge of the boat, their back facing the sea. Right before they fell into the water, Jongdae reminded them: “Remember this. Stay calm and breath slowly. We won’t be seeing much stuff today, because we want you two to get used to diving for the final examination. Now you may fall back into the water.”

 

Before he can even put the mouthpiece in, Minseok was the first to fall in and the two students stared at the splashing water. Jongdae could have swore he saw Youngmin gulp before he fell back into the sea. Next, Sehun gave Jongdae a nervous glance before following his comrade. Lastly, Jongdae joined them, having put the mouthpiece in his mouth.

 

In the first few seconds, all he could see was bubbles. When he turned around, he could see the other three slowly swimming downwards. The diver swam towards them calmly, soon enough, caught up to them.

 

Minseok slowed then stopped swimming altogether, letting the two students get used to the feeling of having a heavier pressure on them. Jongdae took the chance to check the pressure gauge of his air tank and noted that he still had quite a bit of air.

 

Youngmin continued to swim lower but Minseok brought him back up, wiggling his finger, signaling that he shouldn't go somewhere without the instructor's. The student tapped his air tank and his watch in a rough manner. He must have been trying to say that we're wasting time. The diver then held out his hand, indicating that they had to wait some more before continuing further down.

 

During the time they waited, Jongdae swam over to Sehun and checked his air tank pressure gauge. He compared it with his own and noticed that Sehun had used his air faster than he had. The younger must have been nervous.

 

He tapped Minseok's air tank and the sound of his tapping that seemed like it was coming from everywhere around them. Minseok looked around before seeing Jongdae gesturing him over. The younger diver pointed his finger between Sehun and himself and used his other hand to point between Youngmin and his partner. The other understood that Jongdae will stay with Sehun and that he should stay with  hyperactive Youngmin. He rolled his eyes but gave Jongdae a thumbs up anyways, meaning he understood.

 

They went further down, into the water, and Sehun seemed to have slowed down and Jongdae stopped him. He let the other two go further as he tried checking what was wrong with Sehun. The diver tapped his arm and Sehun looked at him with squinted eyes. The student reached out to Jongdae’s arm and when he grabbed it, he tightly gripped it. The diver slightly wince at the sudden grip, but he endured it and tapped Sehun’s cheek. He asked him if he was dizzy with his finger next to his head and

Please log in to read the full chapter