Chapter 08

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

About a week had passed and both Jongdae and Minseok noticed the physical improvement in both Sehun and Youngmin. Sehun was noticeably bigger since it seemed like he didn't exercise often before arriving for the Annual Divers’ Training program.

 

Jongdae had been sitting with Sehun every night next to the big rock for the past week and Sehun had yet to say anything about his worries. The diver didn't mind though. He really enjoyed the quiet company and nights, hearing the quiet splashes the waves created. He wasn't sure if Sehun even cared about his presence, but he hasn't told the other diver to leave yet ever since during their little night dates.

 

On the tenth night since the start of the training, Sehun was already sitting next to the rock when Jongdae arrived. The older plopped down next to the boy and instead of the usual silence, he heard a sigh coming from the younger.

 

“What is it?” Jongdae asked.

 

“Should I trust you or not?” Sehun replied with a question.

 

“Is there a reason why I shouldn't be trusted?” He questioned, confused at Sehun’s intentions.

 

“Can I ask you as serious question?”

 

“Are you trying to have a conversation with only questions?” Jongdae asked.

 

However, this time, Sehun only looked at him, waiting for the answer to his last question.

 

“Ask away.” Jongdae said as he watched Sehun think for a moment. The student looked around him if anybody was there and leaned towards Jongdae.

 

“Umm… What's your opinion on… You know… Outlanders?” Sehun quietly whispered. Jongdae was slightly taken aback with that kind of question, but answered him without giving any clues that Minseok was one of them.

 

“From past experience, they're not bad people.” Jongdae glanced at a Sehun that was deep in thought. “So what about you?” He added.

 

Sehun snapped out of his thoughts and blinked at the diver.

 

“What? It's not fun when I’m the only one answering your questions.” Jongdae explained.

 

“Ah. I have the same opinion.” Sehun answered and leaned over the big rock.

 

There was a comfortable silence where only their breathing could be heard. Jongdae was quite satisfied at finding out about Sehun’s worries, sort of, but it was better than nothing. However, why was Sehun worried about something about outlanders? The boy was just confusing him more and more.

 

“Can I ask who was the outlander you met in the past?” Sehun suddenly asked, catching Jongdae off guard. That was one question he'd like to avoid.

 

“You should go back to the cabins soon. There's fitness training in the morning and something new in the afternoon, so rest well.” Jongdae announced and patted his pants as he stood. He left, leaving Sehun alone by the rock.

 

***

 

The moment Jongdae closed his room’s door, Minseok jumped out of bed and seized the younger by the wrists as if he was a freshly caught criminal. The older dragged him towards the desk and made him sit in the chair.

 

“What and why?” Jongdae asked when Minseok shined a flashlight over his head, nearly blinding him with the suddenly light.

 

“I am the only asking the questions.” Minseok shined his face before returning the light towards his partner.

 

There was a moment of silence until Jongdae pipped up.

 

“If you're not going to ask the questions, I'll happily go take a shower.” He moved to stand from the chair, but Minseok pushed him back into it.

 

“What have you been doing all week at night huh?” He finally started questioning.

 

“I was sitting next to a boulder, watching the moon’s reflection on the sea.” Jongdae answered as if it was the most easiest thing ever.

 

“For a week without missing one single day?” Minseok squinted his eyes at the younger.

 

“Yes.”

 

“Then explain why you keep coming back in after I've fallen asleep.”

 

“Okay, first of all, I’m really quiet when you're sleeping, so you don't hear me and why do you need to know what I'm up to?” Jongdae asked.

 

“Because I'm your trusty and loyal partner. What kind of partner would you be if you kept secrets away from me?” He questioned, pretending to wipe a nonexistent tear away.

 

“A partner that wants to have some quiet and alone time?”

 

“Don't tell me you plotting an evil plan. I don't want to be your partner in crime.” Minseok took a step back as if Jongdae had caught the flu.

 

“I'm not. I really have been sitting next to a rock next to the sea at night, relaxing, for the past week. I need quiet moments if you already didn't know.” Jongdae said, pushing away the light that was getting annoying from his face, “You can confirm my alibi with Sehun.”

 

“What? Sehun? As in Oh Sehun our student?” Minseok asked, shocked.

 

“Yes him.”

 

“Why are you with him every night?” He flashed Jongdae’s face, blinding him once again.

 

“He had some worries to share with me.” He blocked his eyes from the light.

 

“What kind of worries?” Minseok leaned in, flashlight shining stronger as he approached.

 

Please log in to read the full chapter