Chapter 01

The Black Pearl
Please log in to read the full chapter

He kicked his legs and the coral reef he grew closer. Jongdae resisted the urge to excitedly backflip in the water with his yellow flippers. He found a big one. Feeling a vibration on his wrist, Jongdae moved his other hand to his wrist to stop the vibrating wristband. He almost spat out the mouthpiece to groan. Minseok touched his shoulder to calm him down. It was time to go back up to the surface. Minseok pointed upwards meaning he will go up first and Jongdae replied with a nod. He turned back to the corals he was looking at one last time and pointed a waterproof camera at it, snapping a few pictures. He then slowly and gradually swam back up to the surface right behind Minseok. When his head was out of the water, he removed the mouthpiece along with the half mask.

 

"Jongdae, our luck with oysters , doesn't it?" Minseok asked as he leaned over the side of the boat, a towel already hung around his neck. Jongdae shook his head as he swam towards the boat.

 

He grabbed the metal ladder on the side of the boat. Shaking the camera at his friend, Minseok came over to grab it. Minseok helped him up on board and Jongdae removed his flippers as water dripped from his hair.

 

"It's really a bummer. I really want to know how a pearl looks like yet the only thing we see are corals." Minseok sighed. Resting his hands on his hip as he threw a towel at Jongdae, which the other skillfully caught.

 

"Well it's not everyday you can find something rarer than a diamond. Besides, we’re already lucky enough to find corals in such saline waters." Jongdae said as he slowly put down his oxygen tank in the wooden box.

 

"Just imagine if we did find at least one bed. Oysters! We would be promoted to senior divers immediately!" Minseok beamed, handing Jongdae a bottle of water.

 

"Why would being senior divers any better? We would still have the same job: preserving endangered marine species." He eyed the other before taking the water and unscrewing the cap in haste.

 

"Yes, but imagine if we had a better boat, better equipment and, most importantly, better food." Minseok grinned, patting the little cabin's wall.

 

"You're always thinking about food. That's why your cheeks are chubby." Jongdae chuckled as he poked the older's cheeks with the bottle.

 

"Hey, they're not chubby, they're just round. And you're not better, your cheeks are nearly caving in and you look like you haven't eaten in months." Minseok retorted.

 

"Don't exaggerate." Jongdae rolled his eyes, "Let's just go back to shore and for once, I'll admit that I'm very hungry." Jongdae ushered Minseok to the wheel.

 

"Aha! I knew you were lying all the time! There is no way someone wouldn't be hungry after diving for an hour." The older pointed at Jongdae's face before starting the boat's motor and drove towards shore.

 

There was only the sound of an engine as Jongdae let the wind blow in his face, making sure his wet hair didn't get into his face. Little waves were created on the surface of the blue ocean as the boat skimmed across it. The sun shined high and brightly in the sky. Noon.

 

It had been a while since he had joined the association to save marine animals and unlike what his parents told him, he was totally not regretting his decision. Military leader was what they wanted for Jongdae and his twin brother, but Jongdae was little, weak, and scrawny kid that became a failure in his parents' eyes.

 

When the two arrived on the dock, they started carrying their stuff off their boat when another diver they knew passed by them in a rush. The man retraced his steps and turn to the confused two.

 

"Guys, the princess is coming. We gotta make this place less womanless. She'll be here in an hour!" He excitedly said and continued his way.

 

"Princess? Why would she be coming here?" Minseok asked out loud, the question not directed toward anyone.

 

"You know, they say she can sniff out outlanders. Though it has been awhile since she came." Jongdae calmly said before continuing his way towards the cabin.

 

"Woah wait. You mean she's been here before? How come I didn't know that?" Minseok asked as he caught up to the boy with his own load of equipments.

 

"She came to visit just a few weeks before you joined the association. She usually comes when there's a whole lot of new recruits. Especially in the marine department." Jongdae said as he kicked the door to the storage room open with his foot.

 

"Why does she do that?" Minseok carefully asked. Jongdae paused in what he was doing. He looked up at the older and swallowed the lump that had formed in his throat.

 

"You're more accessible to pearls when you're a diver." Jongdae answered. When his mouth closed, a thick tension could be felt between the two. Jongdae walked away first, leaving Minseok behind. He was thinking about it too much.

 

***

 

When Jongdae came out of his room, Minseok was leaning on the wall next to the door. Minseok had turned his head towards the younger and beamed.

 

"Took you long enough. I'm hungry." He hooked his arm around Jongdae's neck and they both walked towards the canteen, "Thirty minutes walk to the main building and then food!" Minseok excitedly added.

 

When they both stepped into the small canteen, they both noticed that the place was rather packed unlike usual. They went to the end of the line for food.

 

"Ugh. Too many people." Jongdae frowned and scratched his chest in irritation.

 

"Why is there so many people?" Minseok asked.

 

"Because everyone from the diver's unit is here to welcome the princess." Jongdae groaned.

 

"Why here? This place is for eating, not for welcoming a Royal."

Please log in to read the full chapter