Chapter Five

Reverie (A Healer AU)(discontinued)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Five:

Only Slightly edited, hope you enjoy! By the way this was wrote on my phone so expect some errors!

--Minah--

 

"Hakyeon, wake up." I shove the tan boy. He had fallen asleep an hour ago after we finished editing Taekwoon's second file. That left me to edit the third file on my own. I didn't mind since Hakyeon was a newbie. Plus he doesn't really seem to know what he's doing, how in the world did he get his job?

 

"Hmm." He groans and leans up. "Oh, I fell asleep?" He quickly sits up and looks around.

 

We were still at Daheun's parent's cafe.

 

"I just finished the last file." I inform him and he sighs relieved.

 

"Sorry I fell asleep." He says looking around outside the window. It was one in the morning. The cafe had closed some time ago but Daheun allowed us to stay since we were working.

 

"Well I'd better get home." I stand. My parents were still home so I unfortunately had to go back home tonight.

 

"You're not staying here?" He suddenly questions.

 

I shake my head no. "No." Was he expecting me to?

 

"Oh I just thought you'd rather stay with your friend than your family." He replies seeming a bit anxious.

 

I chuckle. "Oh I would love to stay but I just can't skip out on them. I only get to see them a few days out of every month." Even though they hate me, I still love them.

 

He smiles and I oddly found it attractive. God this guy was messing with me.

 

--

After packing up and making sure Daheun locks up after we step out Hakyeon informs me that he'll be walking me home. So he can be sweet too?

 

"Alright." I reply. He seems determined to walk me home so why stop him.

 

After a few minutes of walking I noticed a third and fourth sound of footsteps coming from behind us. I glance over my shoulder and see two men in suits. My eyes widen, crap. It was them, the one's who were after me.

 

I turn to face the front and run into Hakyeon's back. I flinch back, ow that hurt.

 

"Why'd you stop?" I rub my nose and look around him to see three men in suits standing in front of us.

 

. I've drug Hakyeon into a dangerous situation now. He knows me for almost a day and he's already in trouble because of me.

 

"Excuse us." Hakyeon speaks up. I glance at him. He doesn't seem nervous at all. Clearly he doesn't know the situation he's in.

 

The lead man chuckles. "No." He moves forward and Hakyeon moves closer to me. Was he as scared as I was?

 

"Hakyeon." I pull him down so I can whisper in his ear. "Run, they are after me not you."

 

His eyes are wide when they meet mine. "But..."

 

"Just go, call the cops or something." I say before I'm shoved backwards. I let out a small scream as my lands on the ground, my head continues to fall towards the ground.

 

Something comes between the concrete and my skull before it impacts. My hands and elbows burned from the brutal contact with the ground.

 

With my eyes wide and round, I look up at the man who pushed me. My eyes then dart to follow the hand that rests behind my head up to Hakyeon who was still here. That idiot. But how was he able to react that fast to that shove, it came out of nowhere?

 

The man shoves Hakyeon back towards his other men and they begin to assault him.

 

"Leave him alone. I'm the one you want." I stand and the guy grins a eating grin. He pulls me away from the two men who were still throwing punches at Hakyeon.

 

Dammit, I got him into this. Why didn't he run? I watch as they throw several punches at him, before my face is forced to look away.

 

The lead man drug me down an alley way and then back out onto a different street towards a car. I saw two men standing beside the car. I was screwed this time.

 

Just when I lost hope, a person jumps between me and the car. Dressed in all black just like the other night, N, the night courier stood before me. 

 

N took out the two beside the car and then turns to face us. N his head to the right looking in our direction.

 

"It's you again, why do you keep spoiling my plan?" The lead man growls tightening his grip on my wrists. I wince but keep my eyes on N.

 

N shrugs at his comment.

 

"How much are they paying you to protect her?" The man asks in all seriousness. I bite my lip at his tight grip on my wrists, it hurts so bad.

 

N once again shrugs.

 

"I'll double it if you leave us be." The guy says through clenched teeth.

 

I feel a pit form in my stomach. That's right, I wasn't special like I've been thinking. N's being paid to protect me. He isn't doing this because he wants to. Then that certainly means that I'm doomed. He'll take the offer for more money.

 

N nods and turns to walk away. My lip falls out of my teeth where I had been biting them. My heart sunk and my head lowers.

 

A part of me was hoping he'd stay and help me. Besides that night he said it had nothing to do with money. I was extremely hopeful in him.

 

The pit in my stomach gets bigger. I'm a dead woman walking.

 

N disappears into the night and the guy behind me chuckles evilly. A tear slides down my cheek as his fingernails dig into my skin around my wrists.

 

"Now I've got you." He pushes me forward. He releases my wrists and I waited to be shoved into the car. Only it didn't come.

 

I turn around and see the man on the ground and N hovering over him. My eyes widen, he was still here? N ties the guy's hands up and turns towards me.

 

He didn't leave me? More importantly he didn't accept the offer for more money? He must be stupid or just really kind?

 

"Thanks, again." I say towards him. He nods and runs off. I smile to myself, does that mean that he actually cares about my safety?

 

Oh , speaking of safety. Hakyeon!

 

I run back around the alley way to find him but he's gone. The only thing that remains to say he was there was a piece of his red shirt. I hope they didn't take him with them?

 

My eyes widen. They wouldn't would they?

 

He'd better be at work tomorrow! I don't have his number so I can't get a hold of him. I need to remind myself to get it tomorrow just in case something like this happens again.

--

 

I sat at my desk early waiting for Hakyeon to arrive and then save me from all this grieving. My knee bobbed up and down anxiously, I should have taken a picture of him yesterday just in case I need to post missing signs around the neighborhood. Today I definitely need to get his number so I can text him just in case this happens again.

 

I felt a jittery feeling in my stomach remembering last night. N had saved me despite being offered more money from the opposing side. N was someone who didn't pick sides, he was someone who would go whichever way paid him more money. Why, was I special or was he doing it for the greater good?

 

I heard the elevator door open, my head whips in that direction to see Jaehwan and Hakyeon step out of the elevator together. I sigh relieved, he was alright.

 

He came running over. "Thank god you're okay boss." He falls to his knees and wraps his arms around my waist. I'm taken back by his sudden affection but I pat his head to calm him.

 

Jaehwan quickly pulls him off. "He told me what happened. Was it them again?" Jaehwan says giving me a stern look.

 

I nod. "Hakyeon, what happened to you? Did they hurt you a lot? You took a lot of punches."

 

Hakyeon nods. "Yeah, it hurts here and here and here." He gestures towards his ribs, right leg, and left arm.

 

Jaehwan pokes his left arm. "You seem completely fine to me."

 

"Ow." Hakyeon groans and lifts his right hand up to shove Jaehwan's finger away. That's when I noticed the large wound on his hand.

 

"Your hand, is that from when you stopped my head from hitting the concrete?" I point it out, grabbing for it. My eyes widen, it looked bad.

 

"Oh ah." He pulls his hand away and hides it behind his back, giving me a sheepish look. "Yes, but it's alright."

 

I look him straight in the eyes. "It doesn't look okay. It looks bloody."

 

"He said it's fine." Jaehwan nudges me. "Now how did you escape those men?"

 

"Oh, the night courier N helped me out." I smile wide. My fingers weave in front of my body because of the thought of him saving me.

 

"Night courier N?" Jaehwan nods his lips.

 

"Yeah, seems as if someone paid him to protect me." I cross my arms over my chest. If it wasn't my parents it had to be him. No one else knew that they were after me.

 

"I wonder who would hire him?" Jaehwan asks. Meanwhile Hakyeon watched us converse, turning his head to look at whoever was talking.

 

"Yeah I wonder." I scoff. "You're a horrible actor." Jaehwan shrugs seemingly admitted that he was the one who had done it.

 

"Hey you're all here." Jihoo says intervening into the conversation. We all turn our attention towards him.

 

"Yeah, hey boss." I bow towards him.

 

"So good news. Taekwoon likes your edits and has finally decided to publish. You two will be attending his first signing for this book." Jihoo smiles towards Hakyeon and I.

 

"Both of us?" Hakyeon frowns seeming bummed out.

 

"Yeah both of you. He wants to meet his new editor." Jihoo replies. "It is a formal event so suit and a dress must be worn. In fact some big name people are supposed to be there."

 

"I have to wear a suit?" Hakyeon whines.

 

"Yes." Jihoo sighs. "Do Nam Publishers proud!" He smiles extra wide and bows. "This is the invitation." He shoves it into my hands.

 

I open it. It was in five days. Such short notice, I needed to buy a dress for the occasion.

 

"Do we have to go?" I ask. Suddenly I didn't want to go, it sounded boring.

 

"Just please go. If you go I will consider publishing one of your works." He smiles.

 

My eyes widen. "Really?"

 

"Really, now that I have Taekwoon's fourth book published I can move on to other projects." He sighs relieved, Taekwoon was always demanding when a new story

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter