Chapter 6: First Day

Beautiful Girl with Bad Luck and the Boy Who Saves Her

Next day, Chorong came to the company. Wearing simple, formal clothes that she had, she readied her heart before entering the company building. She never knew Woohyun had these big building in the middle of town’s office complex. Of course, she was underestimating him, only thought that he was a CEO from small company.

She was ushered by a security guard after telling her reason to come there – applying to be a new employee. She thanked him after arrived at designated floor, and once again was ushered by a young employee, grunting as it was not supposed to be his job. “Here it is, miss. Good luck.” He forced an assuring smile as she bowed thanks. She saw the secretary of Mr. Lee, the head of HRD department, and also Mr. Lee’s name board on the door.

“Excuse me, I need to meet Mr. Kim.” She said to her secretary. The secretary looked at her, head to toe, before looking at a book – probably a schedule book. “Are you Park Chorong?” She said with a flat tone. “Yes, I am.” Chorong replied. “Oh, okay. Follow me.” She got up, readying some files to be brought to her boss.

The secretary knocked and a faint ‘come in’ was heard from inside the room. She opened and also gesturing Chorong to come in. Chorong became more nervous than before. She was met with a gaze of an old man, who was eyeing her head to toe. His secretary was whispering something to him and his eyes suddenly jolted. After he finished signing some files, his secretary left the room, but didn’t forget to give another forced smile of good luck to her. Chorong was taking a deep breath before the man, Mr. Lee said, “Park Chorong-ssi?”

“Yes, sir. I’m Park Chorong. Nice to meet you.” She answered while bowing to him.

“Yes, nice to meet you too. Please sit down and give your CV to me.” He said flatly. She gulped her saliva and sat down after giving him her CV.

“So, Park Chorong-ssi. I heard you want to apply for secretary position.” He started.

“Yes, sir. Correct.” She said as Mr. Lee looked at her CV.

“Well, the only job you can apply at this company is secretary, so you have no choice.” He said again, flatly.

She didn’t reply him as she knew her “specification” was only as far as secretary.

“And, fortunately, you can work here, starting tomorrow.” He said, sad tone following. “We don’t have many applicants, and it seems our CEO is fond of you.” He continued. “Park Chorong-ssi, do you know who will be your direct boss?”

“Um, I have no idea, sir.” She said politely, but her face showed a confusion. Then HRD chief laughed and said, “Oh, well, you will see him tomorrow. Come here again for tomorrow, my staff will take you to your desk.” He smiled. “Welcome to the family, Chorong-ssi.”

“Thank you, sir. I won’t let you down.” Chorong bowed and Mr. Lee laughed again for the second time. “Yes, yes. And use that sentence to your direct boss, tomorrow.” He replied.

She bowed once again before walked to the door. She smiled to the secretary outside of the room and the secretary said, “Welcome, dear” and smiled to her. She also gave staff’s rules and conduct at the company. She bowed to her as she smiled to her again. As she waited for the elevator to reach the lobby floor, she asked to herself, “Who will be my boss?”

**

Next day, she came again, with better clothes (courtesy of her mom) and a smile plastered. She was welcomed once again by the security guard, escorting her to HRD’s floor again. She made sure to memorize the floor number as security guard explained to her about the company. The staff that Mr. Lee mentioned was now introducing herself as Son Naeun, as she was left by the security guard after arriving on the floor.

“So, for your first day, we will tour this company. You will be CEO’s second secretary. As the first secretary is pregnant right now, CEO wants my boss to find her replacement. Who knows, you might be his permanent secretary.” She smiled and got closer to her, whispered, “I heard rumors that first secretary will be sent to somewhere else as a branch manager or something.”

Chorong just silenced and nodded at Naeun’s babbling. She wondered if the CEO is a good guy or a bad guy. Then by Naeun’s cheerful tone, they started the tour. At the middle of the tour, she realized that she will be secretary for Woohyun himself. She rechecked the card that was given before and it was written as CEO. She felt awkward as Naeun still babbling and said hi to some employees from Finance department.

When they arrived at the top floor, Chorong was amazed at the interior, as it was different than those on other floors. Naeun bowed to the secretary, who was smiling at their arrival. Of course, as a natural reaction, Chorong checked the secretary’s stomach. Then she bowed and said, “Hello, ma’am. I’m Park Chorong.” The secretary smiled at her confused gaze and rubbed her flat belly as she introduced herself, “Hello dear, my name is Jung Eunji. Call me Eunji, and skip the formalities, I think you are older than me.” She paused and smiled as she continued, “And it’s not big yet, dear. It’s just boss is worried sick, and my husband is also the same.” She rolled her eyes as Naeun laughed. “Unnie, you’re lucky to have two handsome men worrying about your health.” Naeun said that with a low volume as she didn’t want to be heard by the CEO himself. “Ah, yeah, yeah.” Eunji shrugged her of as she looked to Chorong. “Sorry about that Chorong-ssi. She’s just talkative. That’s all.”

“Now, it’s time to get back to your real job, Naeun-ah.” Eunji said sternly. Naeun was pouting as she bade goodbye to both Eunji and Chorong.

“At last, she’s gone.” Chorong said while looking for her drinking bottle. Eunji was laughing as Chorong drank her water ferociously.” It’s not done yet, dear. You have so much to learn today.” Eunji smiled as she ushered Chorong to her desk. “Just arrived yesterday, as soon as you accepted, or so I hear.” She chuckled. After familiarize herself, Chorong started to ask about main job what she should do. Eunji calmly told everything she knew, and prompted Chorong to take notes about that.

By the end of the ‘lectures’, Eunji wished her good luck and asked her to start doing some jobs. Few minutes working on a file, the intercom was buzzed. At that time Eunji was in the restroom, so Chorong answered it. “Yes, sir. What is it?”

“Hm? Who are you?” Said the person from the other line, hearing unfamiliar voice. “Where’s Eunji?” He continued to ask. “She’s in the restroom, sir. I’m your new secretary starting today.”

“Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Welcome Chorong-ssi. Please come to my office and bring your notes. I need to brief you.” The man said with flat tone.

She knocked twice before entering his office room. Inside, the room was still grand, but the decoration was simple enough, made her not too intimidated, she got closer to his desk, where he was typing something on the computer.

“Oh, you’re here.” He smiled slightly. “As you probably know, Eunji is in the state of pregnancy, so I hope you will help her a lot. Especially about bringing heavy things here.” He started, using professional tone. Chorong just nodded and then he continued, “I want you to take over some of Eunji’s workload slowly. I guess she already taught you some basic, right?” He asked.

“Yes sir. I’m already working on a file before you call in.” she replied.

“Ah, okay, good.” He smiled again.

“Anything I need to know, sir?” Chorong asked as she wondered why she was asked to bring a note and a pen.

“Ah, yeah, almost forget. I need you to write my favorite coffee and my favorite lunch, in case I need those in the office.” He paused for a little while for Chorong to write. “I need my mochaccino in the morning, then if I don’t have any schedule to meet client for lunch, please find me a simple bento set. I believe you can pick whatever is good.” He smiled, then continued, “Also, you can find those on floor below. We have coffee shop and Japanese restaurant there. I don’t have specific shop to tell you, but I think Eunji might has good references on that.”

He stopped and started to type again. “I think that’s all. And I think I need to see your first work. I need those files that you’re working on by the end of work hours. Can you do that for me?”

“Yes, sir. I’ll do it for you.”

“And one more thing before you go. Please bring my coffee first. And welcome to you.” He smiled to her, once again, before continuing his work. She bowed before going back to her desk outside of the room.

She sighed on her desk, prompting Eunji, who was back when Chorong entered Woohyun’s room, to ask, “What’s wrong?”

“Oh, no. Nothing.” She shrugged. “Oh, Eunji-ssi. Do you know where CEO’s favorite coffee shop is?”

“Oh, you were asked to send him a coffee, I see.” Eunji said indifferently. “Well, he doesn’t have any preferences on coffee shop, but you can go to this place on second floor.” She write something on a paper. “And send this to the owner. He’ll stay at the cashier, usually.” She gave the paper to Chorong and she saw the name of the place. “Okay then. I need to go now.” Chorong slightly bowed before walk fast to the lift.


A/N: Here's your update for this week, and welcome to new subscribers. Thank you for subscribing this poor story. Hope you enjoy the story.

Son Naeun and Jung Eunji are included. And I don't think we will have other members' appearance until chapter 7 or 8. But I assure you, there will be some surprises in next two updates.

Any question? Have some suggestion? Please comment down below. Have a nice day and see you next week!