Unwanted attention

Yixing can never be Lay! : Double Lives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yixing peeps up from his desk for the umpteenth time today, looking over at Lana's desk yet again. Looking for his opportunity to approach her. He's been regretting his rash reaction to her last night and feels guilty for it. Even though Lana's insensitive comments did antagonized Lay, Yixing realised later after calming down, that Lana was not at fault as she was ignorant of Lay's history and thus was not aware of the implication of her words.

Lay needs to make it up to Lana, but Yixing needs to suss out Lana's mood before he thinks of an appropriate follow-up action for Lay.

Ok! Lana's finally off her phone. This is my chance! Yixing thinks. He gathers some work materials, hoping to use them as an excuse to strike up a conversation with Lana. Just as he has everything, he looks up again and sees a tall, striking stranger leaning over Lana's cubicle. 

Yixing groans internally and drops the documents back on his desk. But he remains standing and pretends to do a series of stretches while he observes the stranger. Who is this new outsider that Yixing has never seen before? And why is he so friendly with Lana? Is he flirting with Lana now? Is he hitting on her?!

They seem to be sharing some joke now and... laughing together! Lana is reacting positively to him. Is she...is she also flirting back? Yixing feels the rise of that familiar dull ache in his chest again. He grabs his bottle and gulps his drink while he eyes the tall, handsome stranger bitterly.

Just then he hears Yuri humming a tune, approaching his section.

"Yuri! Yu..Yuri."

"Oh hey there, Yixing sweetie!" Yuri greets Yixing cheerfully.

"Hey hey. Say...do do you know wh..who that g.gguy is?" Yixing points at the outsider by Lana's desk.

Yuri whips her head around to look towards the direction of Yixing's finger and brightens up, " Oh! Do you mean that tall drink of water next to Lana?"

Before Yixing can answer, Yuri ogles at said 'tall drink of water' as she twirls a lock of her hair, "Oh my, he's looking mighty fine today..."

Yixing clears his throat, "He..he's..?"

"Oh yes! That's Mr. Oh Sehun. Our new board member."

"Board member! But but...he..he's so young!" 

"Yep. Young and handsome and rich and smart! Some people do have it all! Sucha dreamboat!" Yuri swoons.

Yixing's thinking how to ask why the hell he's hanging around Lana when Yuri read his thoughts.

"Aha! This is the second, no, third time I've seen him hanging around Lana's desk! Seems like Mr. Oh's got his eye on our dear Lana! So she's his type! No wonder he hasn't been responding to my feminine wiles. Haha. What do you think, Yixing? Think he's Lana's type? Oh what am I talking about. Just look at him! He's probably every gal's type! Watch." Yuri waves her arms dramatically across the room as she emphasizes.

Yixing frowns and observes this Mr. Oh bidding Lana farewell. As he walks away from her desk, every female he walks past can't help but look up admiringly at him. 

"He's quite the charmer too. All French flair and British etiquette. If he keeps finding excuses to drop by our office and keeps coming over to The Scoop, he'll soon have Lana eating out of his palm, I'll say. I mean, I won't be surprised if he has already asked Lana out on a date or gotten her number at least!" 

Yixing takes another big gulp of his drink as he burns inside with jealousy.

***

Yixing stews over his resentment while formulating ideas on how best to approach Lana and for Lay to apologize to her, as he mindlessly does some routine photo-editing at his desk. 

"So! My dahhling shutterbugs!" Baekhyun's voice shrills aloud as he appears at Yixing's section and speaks to the cluster of photographers.

"As you have all probably heard from Kyungsoo by now, Xiumin is down with the bug. Well. Not your shutterbug bug but the flu bug. So. Which of you lovely dahhlings. My aces lensmen, my Bella paparazzo, my sharpshooters would be so kind as to cover Xiumin for today and accompany Lana to shoot her interview subject?" Baekhyun looks around as he flourishes his broken wrist.

Kyungsoo, being the art editor should be the one assigning the job among the photographers but because he's already preoccupied covering Xiumin for the magazine's covershoot, Baekhyun's taking over the task of assigning the job instead. 

Sensing the grudging silence in the room, Baekhyun cajoles, "C'mon boys! It'll be a quick and easy job! Just some quick snaps of a pretty photogenic actor! Nothin' to it! He's sucha doll too! Probably requires minimum touch up or editing. So..which one of you is up to it?"

Yixing looks up earnestly at Baekhyun while his fellow photogs preoccupy themselves by b

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter