Onslaught

Yixing can never be Lay! : Double Lives
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"So, Yixing, you must be cursing about your reassignment to our entertainment section huh? Seeing how you dislike shooting celebs?" Lana asks casually as she drives them to their scheduled interview location, a luxurious modernist hotel, secluded high up in the snow mountains.

"Ddd.dislike? What ma..makes you say that?" Yixing queries innocently.

"Well, it didn't seem as though you enjoyed shooting Luhan previously?"

Yixing almost snorts, "Nnno..not at all. Guess I was ju..just not used to it. That's all?"

He continues, "Ac..actually this is sor..sorta like a pro..promotion? Com..compared to the crime beat, ent...ent..ter..tertainment photogs have more regular hours? Luc..luckily I'm just assigned to follow you on int..interviews and pr..press cons. Ei..either this, or pa..paparazzi. And th..that will be a demotion!" Yixing shudders and Lana laughs.

"Woah..check out th..that beau..beauty!" Yixing astounds as the fancy hotel comes into their view.

"Wow indeed. What a location! That's one cool looking villian's lair! Like something outta a James Bond movie. Guess that's the effect they are aiming for huh? Now all we gotta do, is have a suave looking villian to match this cool environs. Talking about villian. You do know who you'll be shooting today, right?" Lana pauses.

***

"Well, hello gorgeous!

"Hi, great to see you again, Luhan. I'm Lana from The Scoop. Interviewed you not too long ago for The Great Wall?" Lana approaches Luhan and holds her hand out for a handshake.

"Of course, of course my lovely Lara! How can I forget a pretty name like yours? And an even prettier face?" Luhan receives Lana's hand and kisses it instead of shaking it. 

You have gotta be kidding me! Is this Luhan the only actor around? Why must it be him again? Yixing thinks to himself.

"And you! You're that photographer that shot me previously!" Luhan almost shouts at Yixing as he points nervously at him.

"Hi..hi Lulu..Luhan." Yixing bows politely.

"Umm.. Yes, hi again." Luhan quickly regains his composure and adds hastily, "By the way, today's concept is understated ok? You just have to shoot me in character as a cool, composed villian, alright? No action shots required, my good man! And umm, check your lenses please."

Yixing stifles a smirk and smiles back sweetly instead while he nods.

***

"Well, glad that's wrapped up!" Lana pipes up as they walk to her car. Then she drops her voice and speaks conspiratorially, "And Luhan's less insufferable today too huh?" Yixing laughs along with Lana. He's just happy that Luhan didn't try to ask Lana out today.

"Oh look! Isn't that Kai the intern? What's he doing here? Ooh...and check out that chick he's with!" Lana points curiously at a couple rushing out of the hotel.

Yixing looks towards the direction Lana has pointed and knits his brows. That's Kai indeed. And wait a minute! Isn't that Lee Sora? Chief Lee's daughter? Kai is acquainted with Sora?

Yixing recalls Chief Lee talking to someone fondly over the phone, calling him "dear boy" and something along the lines of "you remind me of your Father".  And the man who came to pick up Chief Lee at his manor. Yixing did not manage to see the face of the hooded visitor when he brushed past him. But now Yixing realizes belatedly that Kai seems to be of similar build and height to that visitor! Could it be him? What's Kai's connection with Sora and Chief Lee? Suspicious indeed.

"Hmm... Do you think Kai's one of those rich interns? You know? Those that come from monied backgrounds, so they are free to pursue their passions and take on no-pay internship just for the kick of it? And he's probably holidaying here at this fancy hotel this weekend with his beau?" Lana gossips mischievously.

"May..maybe?" Yixing just shrugs off casually while he makes a mental note to to ask Baekhyun to run some background check on Kai. His criminal instincts on alert again.

***

Lana and Yixing are driving down the windy mountain road, picking up speed as they descend.

"Wo..woah, slow down Lalana!"  

"Yixing! I can't! Something's wrong! The accelerator pedal is stuck and the brake is not working!" Lana replies hysterically.

"Ahh...!!!" Lana screams as they speed uncontrollably towards a cliff face! 

Yixing immediately grabs hold of the steering wheel from Lana and swerves them towards the opposite railing instead and the car crashes and come to a standstill!

Luckily the airbags activate in time and save both of them from crashing their heads into the steering wheel and headboard.

Both of them alight from the car and Yixing surveys the damage. 

After he inspects the bonnet, Yixing concludes that the car has been tampered with. Someone was targeting Lana again! 

After making a call for help, Yixing tries to console a visibly shaken Lana.

"Lala Lana, It'll take a wh..while before the rescue vehicle reaches. Let's take a rest th..there first by that beau..beautiful lake?"

Lana nods stonily at Yixing's suggestion and makes her way down the walking path to the geothermal lake.

"Wai..wait up, Lana! You for..forgot your coat!" Yixing calls after Lana.

Lana weakly waves off Yixing, "No coat. I feel...suffocated. I need to ... feel more of the fresh air?"

Yixing understands and simply grabs his valuable camera bag and follows Lana.

They finally reach the lake and Lana squats by the edge of the lake and dips her fingers wistfully into the soothing warm geothermal waters.

A strong gust of wind blows in their direction and Yixing quickly removes his jacket and wraps it around Lana's shoulders. 

Lana looks up at Yixing surprised and he replies, "Sta..stay warm. We may be here for a while?"

Lana stands up to shrug the jacket off her when she feels Yixing tightening his grip on her shoulders, his voice foreboding "Lana, look."

Lana looks behind her and chills to the bone both literally and figuratively at the sight before her.

A cyclone has picked up their damaged car and it's now spinning and levitating in the air and they can both literally see the wind storm approaching them! 

They are out in the open now, unsheltered in this vast landscape. Not a hut nor shelter in sight to shield them from the approaching tornado. There's only the lake before them, trees behind them and copious snow on the ground. 

Lana panicks as she sees the whirl wind approaching them from the distance, furiously whipping up snow and everything in its path. They probably got barely minutes before they'll get whipped up in the path of the approaching storm too!

"It's a polar vortex." Yixing addresses calmly. And before Lana can ask what's a polar

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter