● 42

SHENANIGANS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

‘That one looks like butts stuck in a teapot.’

 

‘Taehyung !’ Hana whispered sternly. Her eyes darting around to see if anyone overheard w hat the guy said.

 

Taehyung rolled his eyes, ‘What ? Look, look, here's the and then-’

 

‘You cannot touch the art piece, idiot.’ Hana warned for the hundredth times, slapping his hand away. ‘And that's a peach, not a .’

 

‘The guy in the first room said that everyone sees an art piece differently and that no one is right and no one is wrong.’ He said matter-of-factly.

 

She squinted her eyes, ‘If he could hear your obnoxious observations, he'll eat his words.’

 

Satisfied with the argument, Hana decided to move on to the next art piece, and following it, as it had been for the past half an hour, was Taehyung's absurd interpretations and a scolding from her.

 

They were at one of the contemporary art galleries in Seoul. It's having an open exhibition while holding a design flea market in the courtyard. Hana had talked about the flea market last month so Taehyung figured that they should make some time in their hectic week of studying to drop by.

 

It was very lively. Both of them had wanted to take a look around the gallery first before heading to the design market. However, they ended up spending more than an hour going through all the pieces from the three-floor gallery.

 

‘We spent too long in there.’ Taehyung groaned. ‘My eyes cannot see the world the same way.’

 

Hana chuckled, ‘You could be sued if the artists hear what you said about their hard work.’

 

‘Sweetheart, there's hard work, like the carved wooden butterfly we saw on the first floor and then there's nonsense like that polka dots of gold and grey that a six years old could do.’ He complained, clearly not getting the whole aesthetic appeal of arts, while Hana tried to keep a straight face at the endearment he used.

 

The girl still got butterflies at the little things he did after their confessions. The random hugs and kisses. The way his hand always searched for hers when they walk. The ‘I love you’s and the cheesy names he called her, that he knew made her cringed but gave her tingles like no other. She was still getting used to the whole thing but it's an enjoyable process and she had no complaint.

 

‘You know what ? Some people just cannot see the beauty in art.’ Hana said after finding no point in arguing with him over art.

 

He raised an eyebrow, ‘Let's be frank. Do you actually see the beauty of that polka dot painting ?’

 

Hana opened as if to say something, only to close them again. He laughed at her antics. They were really having a nice date just enjoying the little time they could steal out of their stressful week, and each other's presence.

 

The flea market outside was huge, filled with rows and rows of tables with young designers selling everything handmade from knitted mufflers to custom jewelry. People of varying age filled the square, bargaining and appreciating arts by the youth. Hana went from one booth to another, with Taehyung loyally following her. Her hands ran through variant fabrics, various designs. She was greatly inspired by the work of the young designers.

 

She wanted to be a part of them. She wanted to grow like them: living off of their creativity, designing what comes to their minds, expressing themselves in their work. She wanted to be a part of the art.

 

The hustles of creating and turning a sketch into the real thing. The admiration and appreciation towards your design. The satisfaction. She wanted to be driven by her passion.

 

Hana loved designing. She didn't know where it came from since her dad was in trading business and her mother was an entrepreneur. Hana had always felt like art was entirely her own. Something that lived within her, growing alongside her.

 

Even though she couldn't spend her money on the pretty clothes and be fashionable, she loved fashion. It has always been in her soul, admiring people in flowy dresses and lace gowns. Fabrics and embroidery. Beads and buttons.

 

Being surrounded by it all in the midst of the market was overwhelming for her. It makes her greedy to quit everything and just chase her dream. She wanted to leave the whole problems behind and run away with Taehyung to pursue her dreams.

 

Hana's thought drifted back to yesterday when Haemi took her out for coffee at a nearby cafe in town. She didn't think that there might be any intention as to why Haemi wanted to have a coffee together since they did that a few times already. However, it turned out that she wanted to discuss a matter privately.

 

“I heard from Taehyung that you planned to go to a local university. You don't want to consider studying abroad ? There are many excellent fashion schools out there.” Haemi said with her motherly smile.

 

Hana returned her smile with a warm one, “I'm still considering my options. Besides, I think my chances to secure a scholarship locally is higher than overseas.”

 

Of course, she wanted to study abroad. It has always been a dream to go out and travel, more so to pursue her dream at top fashion schools. Of course, she wished to go to New York’s Parson or Central Saint Martins in London, or Istituto Marangoni.

 

However, she wasn't going to fool herself into thinking that she might actually be able to afford all that. The chances of getting a scholarship were fairly low since she didn't have any art background. Besides, the living expenses in those countries would cost her an arm and a leg, even with her savings and scholarship, if she were to get one at that. It's better to forget it all together.

 

At this point, she just wanted to get out of the house, and if she's lucky enough to get to do fashion design, then that's all the better.

 

“You remember that dress you revamped for me ?” Haemi asked her. With a smile, she gave Taehyung’s mother a nod.

 

“Well,” the woman continued. “I wore that dress to a lunch with my friends, and they all praised it.”

 

A warm feeling bubbled in Hana's chest, “Really ?”

 

“Yes,” Haemi exclaimed, looking as equally excited as she was. “One of them is a fashion designer and she owns a boutique in Cheongdamdong while another one is a fashion executive for an international brand. I showed them a few of your designs that I took on my phone and ask their opinions since they would know better.”

 

Hana didn't know what to feel. She was both thankful and nervous. Thankful that Haemi would do that for her. Nervous that her works were being evaluated by professionals. She would finally know if she were any good.

 

Haemi grinned, “They have a great interest in your designs ! They thought that there are rooms for improvement, of course, but considering that you are not studying in art school, and how young you are, you would be amazing once you learn more.”

 

Hana couldn't hide her smile. She wanted so much to be acknowledged for her talent in something she loved. She didn't want to just love what she wanted to do but also be good at it.

 

“That's too much. They must've exaggerated it since you were there.” Hana shyly replied.

 

“Nonsense. You are good at this, and I think you should get an education you deserve. I'm not saying there isn't good fashion school in here, but the best ones are out there.” Haemi held her hand on the table.

 

Hana thought of how much Haemi had been taking care of her. She found a mother in the beautiful woman. although it hadn't been a year since Hana discovered solace in the Kims family.

 

“I might get a scholarship in science, but in fashion design, I'm not so sure. There are so many others from art school who have a higher qualification.” She sighed dejectedly.

 

Haemi pat Hana's hand softly, “That's what I wanted to say to you. My friend knows people in CSM since she graduated there. She offered to give your portfolio along with your scholarship application.”

 

London CSM ? She needed a moment.

 

“I don't know..” Hana was still trying to digest the whole thing. “No matter how much I wanted to go there, I don't think I would do it using a connection.”

 

It didn't make her feel good. It made her feel privileged but in a bad way.

 

Haemi was quick to explain it to her, “It's not like that. They would only look at your portfolio and if it doesn't meet their standards, they won't take you. There won't be any special consideration just because you were recommended. Your talent would be the only thing that could secure you a place there.”

 

Hana was a little less uncomfortable and a lot more convinced, but she still didn't know if she wanted to take the chance. The whole idea of living alone in a foreign country scared her.

 

“I'll think about it.”

 

Hana had done a lot of thinking since then. In fact, a lot of her time that wasn't spent on studying would have her pondering over the offer.

 

She wanted to take it up. There wasn't any guarantee that she would get it, but if luck was on her side, and she managed to score a scholarship to Central Saint Martins, she didn't know whether she was ready to embark on that life changing journey, alone at that.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter