Discussions and Discoveries

Big Bad Wolf

Sehun stared at the male sitting on his couch, at his estate, watching said male fiddle with his hands nervously, looking everybody in the room with hesitant yet defying eyes. More closely, Sehun noticed a lot of things that the photographs that Jongdae brought him failed to show, like the beauty marks on the other’s face, especially the little one on the right corner of his upper lip, or that his hair wasn’t really bright blond like he expected but an interesting mix between ashen blond and silver. It made him look innocent and childlike and Sehun could see why Kris was so intent on protecting the nurse.

Nurse Byun had also a fiery disposition as he showed them all; when they had arrived to the Oh’s estate, Minseok and Tao had deposited the smaller male on the couch and Yixing, the Oh’s private doctor, a Chinese male with sharp features and gentle eyes, who Sehun had personally recruited two years ago, had been brought down from his room to take a look at the passed out nurse. Yixing had declared at few moments after that noting seemed wrong with the male at first sight, he had just been knocked out and had a really nasty bruise on his face, and that when the other was awake he would do some more tests to ensure the other’s safety. Sehun had agreed; if he wanted Kris on his side, it was important that Byun was okay and safe.

When the male woke up, he had sat down and seeing so many strange faces, read Sehun’s, Tao’s, Minseok’s, Yixing’s and Kyungsoo’s, he had completely freaked out and tried to run out of the place; he had pushed Kyungsoo aside, kicked Sehun in the shins and kicked Tao straight in the chest, which made Sehun suspect there were some hapkido skills to man, sending the taller to his knees before Miseok caught him by the waist, grabbing his wrist and legs, immobilizing the smaller.

It was nearly impossible to talk to the spooked male until Luhan, who had probably been startled awake by the commotion, had appeared on top of the stairs, clad in his pyjamas, and more gently, calmed the male down, explaining that they were Kris’ friends, who had been notified of his presence in the house and was coming for him. All of those things had, in fact been done, how Luhan knew it was something Sehun didn’t know but his brother seemed to have a knack when it came to this sort of things, reading a scene and knowing what course of action to take and what had been done so far, which seemed to be the case. Only then the nurse had let himself be guided to the couch where he sat, Luhan by his side, legs elegantly crossed, allowing Yixing to run some more tests to make sure he wasn’t concussed or anything worse, which the Chinese doctor said he wasn’t.

Sehun turned his head to the doorway when he heard a sound and found Junmyeon, his accountant and most trusted adviser, a simple and intelligent man with a keen eye for detail, small and as beautiful as Luhan, came through the door.

“Good evening.” he greeted the man calmly, eyes pausing on the figure sitting beside Luhan “I didn’t know we had visits at this hour but I can assume that it is the reason why Kris Wu in in the foyer being held by Jongin to stop him from bursting in here. Shall I tell him to let Kris in?”

The words seemed to have an impact on the tiny nurse because his eyes shot up to Sehun, looking relieved, fingers stopping their movements to rest on his lap.

“Send him in please Junmyeon.”

Junmyeon nodded and left the room briefly only to return with a frantic Kris. The giant man’s eyes swept the room quickly before resting them on the nurse, letting a relieved sigh escape from his parted lips.

“Baekhyun! Thank god!”

Kris strode to the smaller man, who stood up from the couch, and took him in his arms, hugging the other tightly to his chest. He kissed the blond locks and cupped the male’s face to look at him, making sure that nothing is wrong with him.

“Your face…”

“It’s just a bruise Kris.”

“A bruise that is coloring half of your face black and blue.”

“It’s still just a bruise. I’m okay.” replied the male softly.

“Do you know who did this?” asked Kris looking at Sehun.

“No.” replied the man looking intently at Kris, analyzing his posture and his attitudes toward the blond nurse. “I am not sure if it was a mere coincidence, just two small rats trying to rob someone or if there was a purpose behind it. However, you little friend did tell me that someone asked for him at the hospital today, stating that they were your friends.”

“Wait… did you went into the hospital after Baekhyun?”

Sehun could feel said Baekhyun looking at him intently, looking incredibly small, encased in Kris’ arms.

“I was curious. As you know Kris, I don’t like to be kept in the dark.”

“They say curiosity killed the cat.”

“Good thing cats have nine lives then.”

“Why don’t we all calm down?” asked Luhan raising up from the couch, trying to calm down Kris and sending a waning glance towards his own brother “From what I understand some tried to kidnap or hurt Baekhyun here. We don’t know who or why, however, I do feel that you might have an idea about it Kris.”

But Kris wasn’t listening; instead he turned to the blond in his arms, firing questions at the male, who looked really confused and exhausted.

“Why were you walking on the street so late at night? I thought I warned you to take the bus whenever I’m unable to pick you up. And why didn’t you call me when people start to ask for you at your work place?”

“I walked because I got out of work later than I expected and I missed the bus, the next would take half an hour to arrive and that is kind of irrelevant because they would have chased me even if I went to the bus stop. Also, you said you would be busy today and I didn’t have my cellphone with me, it was it my locker.”

“Still, that was pretty reckless of you. You could’ve died, are you aware of that?” asked Kris looking at Baekhyun and if Sehun was to be honest, the tall man looked like a complete lunatic.

“Aren’t I always?” questioned the other back “I am aware of that Kris but, as you know, circumstances dictate that this is going to happen whether I am careful or not.”

“Don’t say that.”

“It’s the truth, like or not.”

“If anything” interrupted Tao, ever the impulsive man, who was a little bitter at being kicked by the smaller man “you should thank us for saving your precious lover.”

Both Kris and Baekhyun looked at Tao, mouth opened up in shock, before the smaller male let out a burst of laughter fall from his lips; a breathy sound that contrasted with the clear sound of his voice.

“What’s so funny?” asked Tao, clearly offended.

“I think that is quite funny that you think Kris is my lover.” replied the man, grabbing the side of his face that surely had started to hurt after he laughed so hard.

Even Sehun stood quiet at the statement made by the other man; he was also under the impression that Baekhyun was Kris’ lover.

“Baekhyun is my younger brother.” confessed Kris with a sigh

The revelation seemed to have startled the majority of the occupants of the room; they all stared at both of them, completely shocked by the news. Sehun felt a spark of anger bubbling up in his stomach, this information was very valuable and he kicked himself for not taking the matters seriously and just assuming Kris had a lover, he should’ve known better.

“Kris, I think it’s time for us to have a private conversation.” he stated coldly.

Kris sobered up immediately, nodding up at him. Baekhyun seemed to understand the seriousness of the situation and grabbed Kris’ arm, worried about him. The taller man gave him a reassuring smile before kissing Baekhyun’s forehead.

“Nothing is going to happen. I’m safe and you’re safe. Wait just a little bit for me okay?”

The younger man nodded at Kris, a little uncertain and cautious, especially since he knew no one in the room. He stood by the couch watching his brother disappear through a door near a big staircase. A pair of hands grabbed his arms gently and made him sit down on the said couch.

“So, you are Kris’ brother. My name is Luhan, it’s a pleasure to meet you. I’m Sehun’s brother, the man who just left to talk with Kris. Whatever situation you are in, I can guarantee you you’re safe here.” said the blond man, trying to make the young nurse relax a bit; when the other man seemed to do so, he gave him a smile. “Good. Now, tell me more about yourself.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun was furious, more than furious. Never once he had expected Kris to hide such thing from him. This little piece of information came to drop another piece in the chessboard that Sehun used as a metaphor for his life and he didn’t like when the rules of the game were change at the middle, if anything he hated unpredictable events, when they didn’t come from him.

He led Kris to his office and signaled the man to sit on the chair on front of his. As soon as Kris did so, he opened his mouth.

“When were you going to tell me that you have a brother?”

“If it was up to me? Never! I don’t exactly want my brother living the types of life we do. I never intended for him to even know them. However, he does and the only thing I can do now is to protect him.”

“Is he the reason why you ran away from China?” when Kris remained silent, Sehun pressed the question. “Answer me Kris.”

“What’s it to you? What interest can you possibly have about it?”

“As I said before Kris, I need an experienced hitman to work for me and I have all interest that that person is you, especially because I have some business to take care in China, which makes you the perfect candidate. You’re a talented man and you are smart. So I am very interested in having you as an ally.”

“That’s not the only reason, is it? You sound desperate; as a matter of fact I don’t remember seeing you like this in a while!” stated Kris; he knew Sehun very well and the simple ‘I am interested in you’ speech that Sehun was giving him wasn’t doing much in convincing him.

“Sharp as ever.” remarked Sehun “I am also very interested in having some kind of leverage against your mother. Despite our truce, she has been a little pushy lately. For some reason she proposed me a union between our empires, which I didn’t agree to, and she is insisting too much on the subject, to the point where I can safely assume she is going to do something. So yes, as you see, you and your brother interest me.”

“Oh, so you are only interested because I can make you win against my own mother?”

Sehun’s teeth grinded against each other; dealing with Kris was always like this: frustrating and exhaustive, but Kris wasn’t another of those es that Sehun could easily manipulate, hence the reason why he wanted the man on his side. So Sehun decided to persuade the man using another tactic.

“Yes, but that also means that I can protect you against her. I am not stupid Kris; you left the security of your mother’s power to come to Korea with your brother, who you hide from everybody. It’s a situation that can benefit the both of us.”

“The thing is Sehun, this isn’t about me.” replied Kris, leaning forward against the desk between them. “That person in your living room is the one who needs to be protected.”

“I can protect him too. Haven’t I just helped him? I can offer protection to you both, as long as you work for me or, better yet, work with me.” proposed Sehun.

“That is an interesting proposal. As much as I not keen of admit it, I, alone, can’t protect him as good as I wanted.”

“More the reason to join me.”

The taller man stood in silence, leaning back in his chair, hands coming to cover his face, clearly troubled. Sehun looked at the man, a small frown on his features; as much as he wished that Kris just accepted his proposal, so that he could be done with it, he wasn’t as cruel as to cover his eyes to the others problems. Sehun considered Kris as a very good acquaintance, borderline friend, which was also one of the reasons that made him approach Kris. He trusted the man and for some reason it was kind of bothering seeing Kris so lost, for the lack of better word.

“What’s the deal with your mother?” he asked a little more warmly, like a friend would, abandoning his usual rigid posture and relaxing.

“And why should I tell you?” asked Kris, hands still covering his face.

“Because I promise you that, whatever you decide to tell me about the subject, won’t be used against you, your brother or your mother.”

Kris looked at the younger man; Sehun was many things but he never betrayed a promise. He also knew the younger man would, sooner or later, discover the truth, he wasn’t really a patient man nor did he like to be kept in the dark about things.

“That man in the living room, that nurse, is my brother Byun Baekhyun.” he started in a strong, clear voice. “Many people, you included, don’t know that I have a brother and the truth is I didn’t know either until I reached fifteen years old. Baekhyun is my half-brother on my father’s side. My father had an affair with a woman he met while he was in Korea. My father didn’t love my mother, he only married her because to benefit both their families; an arranged marriage, if you will. I don’t know if he liked Baekhyun’s mother or if it was just attraction but, either way, Baekhyun was born. My father didn’t know until Baekhyun a toddler. He was sick at the moment and his mother wasn’t a wealthy person so she contacted our father to help her pay for his treatment. He started to go to Korea more and more often and everyone grew suspicious of it. I think my mother suspect it long ago and when she obtain the evidences that my father cheated on her and even had a child from another woman she was hell bent on erasing the evidence. Imagine the scandal that it would be if the press knew about it. She killed Baekhyun’s mother when he was nine years old, or at least her men did. Baekhyun’s mother was a clerk in a supermarket and was killed after a shift. Nobody saw who did but my father did. He immediately flew to Korea and brought Baekhyun to China, that’s when I learned about him. My father made me swear not to tell my mother. He stayed with my old nanny in her house for a few months, I visited him so many times in there and I grew very fond of him; he was such a sweet kid, bright and lively, impossibly cute. I think that my father thought my mother was onto him, so he sent Baekhyun to an all-boys school in Switzerland along with my old nanny. He mostly sent her so Baekhyun wouldn’t be alone in there during the holydays. He stood there for a long time and then he went to college in Canada where I was at the time. I didn’t see him often enough during his teens but he lived with me during my stay in Canada and he changed very little since; he’s the same sweet, innocent young man he was as a child. I bonded with him and I can genuinely say that there isn’t a person in this world that I care more about than him.”

“What happened to your father?” asked Sehun, still digesting what he had been told “As far as I know, he’s dead.”

“My mother killed him. When my father started to look and be more proactive in Baekhyun’s life, mine too, my mother took the chance to just take over his business, over his men, everything. The last straw was when she found out Baekhyun was still alive and kicking and that my father was protecting him and supporting him. So she killed him. That’s when I decided to cut ties with her, take Baekhyun and try to keep him away from her. I thought that we’d be safe in China because there is no way she would guess that we were hiding right under her nose, but then I was informed that someone snitched about our location and we fled to Korea. We have been hiding here for a year or so. I don’t know if she found us yet, considering the attack on Baekhyun. I certainly hope not.”

Of all the things Sehun was expecting, this, what he had just heard, wasn’t contemplated in those expectations. Some part of him felt sorry for Kris and for Baekhyun; Kris had lost the only parent who ever loved him and Baekhyun had lost his mother and father to the woman that was his own brother’s mother. Sehun never knew his mother, she died soon after giving birth to him due to complications, but his father had loved him dearly, despite everything; more so, his father had extra love to spare to a homeless, orphan boy, who had been his brother for year and whom he dearly loves.

“If my mother did, in fact, found us, I am not sure what to do next.” continued Kris, as it seemed the man was on a role “We keep on running, trying to hide from her but it’s wearing on me and on Baekhyun. He is growing tired of it; he has been spending the majority of his life running away, never able to settle for long, never able to enjoy life and relax, hell, he’s not even able to work properly. It’s either we run or we get hurt and this is certainly not what I want for him. It’s tiring.”

Sehun said nothing; he didn’t think there was anything that he could say to comfort the man in front of him, he also didn’t want to push his offer at the moment, not after the confession he had just heard.

They stood in silence for a long time, just mulling over thoughts and about everything that had been said and discussed. They weren’t aware of the time until the moment that a knock was heard and Luhan entered the room.

“I’m very sorry to interrupt but how much longer do you plan on staying here? Almost everybody went to bed already.”

“What time is it?” asked Sehun.

“It after one in the morning.” replied the other, earning an alarmed look from Kris.

“Baekhyun!” whispered the taller man before standing up.

“Baekhyun fell asleep almost two hours ago. Poor thing was exhausted. He’s sleeping on the couch.”

Kris looked at the blond man with gratitude before bolting out of the room towards the living room.

“How did it go?” asked Luhan to Sehun, brows rising when his brother sighed tiredly.

“This conversation changes things a bit but it may be the push that Kris needed to accept my offer. I am not going to insist more today, he’s…tired and honestly, so am I.”

Luhan gave a little hum in acknowledgement before suggesting that Sehun allowed Kris and Baekhyun to stay the night since the younger had just been beaten and was extremely tired and because Kris was tired to.

“Also” added Luhan “there is a possibility that the thugs who found Baekhyun may be waiting for them at their house, worst case scenario.”

“That is a good idea.”

Sehun led himself to the living room where a tired Kris was staring at his brother, who was, as Luhan informed them, curled in the plush couch, sleeping soundly, a fluffy blanket sprawled over him. Junmyeon was no were in sight nor was Kyungsoo or Yixing. The only ones standing in the room, beside himself, Luhan and their visitors was Minseok.

Just as Kris was preparing to wake his brother up, Sehun interrupted him.

“Don’t wake him up. Just stay the night Kris.”

“I appreciate the offer but it’s better for us to go home.”

“Actually it isn’t. He has been injured, you’re tired and if those men where sent by your mother, there is a high chance that they might be waiting for you at your house. It’s safer for you to stay.”

Kris seemed to ponder Sehun’s words for a second or two before nodding his head in agreement.

“Okay, I’ll accept your offer.”

“Good!” exclaimed Luhan from the side. “Minseok will guide you to the guest bedrooms.”

“We only need one room. I don’t Baekhyun to freak out because he doesn’t know where he is or because he doesn’t see anyone he recognizes. We’ll stay the in same room.”

“Very well. Sehun will lend you some clothes. It’s not comfortable to sleep in regular clothes.”

Kris thanked him once more before, very gently, picking Baekhyun up in his arms, who immediately cuddled into his brother’s chest, sighing happily at the added source of warmth.

Luhan and Sehun watched as Minseok guided the man towards the guest room, in the upper floor.

“Was your conversation as clarifying and interesting as mine was?” asked Luhan when he couldn’t see Kris anymore.

“It was.” nodded Sehun, looking at the petite male beside him “What did you find out?”

“Many things, with varying importance! But besides the fact that he is Kris’ younger brother? The fact that he is an orphan, who has been jumping from country to country with Kris, most likely running from someone. He enjoys his job far too much, he’s smart and he is very careful about his words, as if he knows I am watching for any slips, and also something that he neglected to tell Kris: this isn’t the first time he has been approached by strangers at his workplace asking for Kris, or asking if he is Kris’ brother.”

“That is interesting indeed. Want to come to my room and discuss what we found out?” he asked his brother, an arm coming around his shoulders. When his brother nodded, Sehun gave him a squeeze. “Good. Go ahead and wait up for me. I’m going to look for some clothes for our guests, since someone made the decision of offering.”

Luhan gave him a smirk before leaving the room. Sehun watched his brother disappear through the stair to the upper floor.

“This was such an interesting turn of events.” he muttered to himself “Let’s see how things develop from here.”




A/N: So yeah, I am really glad to see that this story had left you all interested and I really hope you continue to think so as it moves forward an develops. It's not what I use to write and I'm really sorry if I disappoint any of you! I hope you enjoy this chapter, if so, let me know. Subscribe, upvote and comment! ^^
Have a wonderful day, lots of cuddles and love!