The Belle Of The Ball

Big Bad Wolf

After Baekhyun had accepted the proposal, much to everybody’s amazement, everything turned frantic and hectic. Their fake engagement had to be publicly announced and a social gathering had to be planned with all of the influential families of the country. The party had to be planned to the minimal detail and security was one of the focuses of it all; there was the upmost need to keep Baekhyun, and everyone else for the matter, safe.

Kyungsoo and Luhan were in charge of the majority of the preparations such as catering and decorations; Kris, Chanyeol, Minseok, Tao, Jongin and Sehun were dealing with the security issues; Junmyeon was in talks with magazines and newspapers, so that there would be a media cover of the event and Yixing and Baekhyun had been doing some physical therapy so that Baekhyun could walk at the event without the aid of a wheelchair or crutches. Jongdae, the sneaky man he was, nominated himself as Baekhyun’s stylist and kindly offered to buy, in Sehun’s name, an engagement ring for Baekhyun. Aside from being a part of the security team, Jongin had also been promoted to Baekhyun’s personal bodyguard, following the smaller like a shade, wherever he went, making sure he was okay and safe all of the time, as it was demanded by Sehun and Kris, even if Jongin paid no attention to the taller of the two.

They all had been busy since they had a short time to prepare the big event, after all it was imperative that everyone knew about the news rather sooner than later, for everyone’s sake and safety.

After many weeks of exercising with Yixing, Baekhyun had improved leaps and bound, starting from bending the knee, to standing up straight, to taking small step to, finally, walking short distances on his own. The day before the big occasion, he surprised everyone by walking for half an hour, even if slowly, which was impressive since a month was not nearly halfway the time needed to his complete recovery.

Taking the chances, Baekhyun went along with Chanyeol, Jongdae and Jongin to pick his suit up. He was in desperate need to soak up some sunlight, despite the cold, since he was tired of being cooped up on the house so much. Also, he couldn’t deny it was a great feeling to be able to go out with friends, which wasn’t a word that he was very familiar with, due to his constant running from Kris’ mom. Lately, he had begun to appreciate Jongin’s silent presence; while the other man wasn’t much of a talker his presence did make Baekhyun feel safe. He even saved him when came to Jongdae: the male had taken him to a hair salon and actually tried to sway him to dye his hair black, adding that it would make him more y, Chanyeol had disagreed and Baekhyun was at a loss of what to do, looking from one male to another in confusion. Jongin, his savior, had been to one to make a decision for all of them.

“He looks perfect as he does now. There is absolutely no need for such a change.” he stated, effectively stopping the discussion.

In the end, he had gotten his still ashen blond hair trimmed neatly, which fell attractively into his forehead, maintaining his sweet, innocent look that Chanyeol claimed that was charming and alluring and so completely Baekhyun.

After the hair salon visit, Jongin escorted the smaller male to the car since he still couldn’t be on his feet for long periods of time, while Chanyeol and Jongdae picked his suit up.

While in the car, he contemplated the beautiful ring on his finger; Sehun had tossed it to him the other night with instructions to wear it. It was quite nice, manly but elegant, all white gold, with a few rows of diagonally placed diamonds. He sighed for the umpteenth time, wishing this was all real, instead of fake.

“What is troubling you?” asked Jongin looking at him from the review mirror.

“Nothing much.” sighed Baekhyun again, choosing to look out of the window. “I just…this is not how I envisioned my engagement to be.”

“Is something displeasing you? I can inform someone, changes can be done.”

“It’s not that.” replied the smaller with a smile at Jongin’s attentiveness. “I just don’t like the fake factor. It makes me feel like a liar and a gold-digger.”

“It’s not easy to be in your position” told him Jongin after a few minutes of silence “but, for the time being, it’s necessary. And when this is all over I am sure that you will find someone to give you what you desire, after all you are an attractive person, in more ways than just your looks. So, my advice, don’t worry too much about it.”

Baekhyun had blushed slightly at the compliment; he wasn’t used to such comments, well, Jongdae did compliment him but seriously, his comments were lewd enough to make a stripper blush, so he didn’t count. Jongin seemed to notice the other’s embarrassment; he chuckled lowly and twisted himself to look straight into the nurse’s eyes.

“You will be fine and tomorrow we all have your back, so don’t worry too much and just dazzle them all, okay? You are looking after yourself and you should, especially after neglecting your safety for a long time.”

Baekhyun wished he could say something but Jongdae and Chanyeol arrived at the moment and all his words were washed away from his brain. Chanyeol shot him an inquisitive look, once he looked at the redden face but Baekhyun dismissed him quickly; it would be embarrassing to admit he got flustered over such a simple thing such as a compliment. However, what he didn’t notice was the pair of affectionate eyes looking at him from the review mirror, while he stared away into the busy streets and people, wishing and begging for things to be alright.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

It was finally the day of the big event and Sehun was completely calm and collected, greeting guests left and right, having small pleasant talks with associates, friends and even some acquaintances. He hadn’t invited Jia; he wasn’t that crazy, but he was sure that the news would spread quickly as fire once he announced it.

He hadn’t seen Baekhyun all day, despite living in the house as the said male. Jongdae had whisked the male as soon as he woke up, according to Jimin, and had taken the petite nurse for what he called a pampering day which, in Sehun’s mind, meant that he was going to take Baekhyun to a spa and let the other be submitted into a whole another world of horrors that made him cringe but Luhan guaranteed him that made one look everything desired and more, he wouldn’t know.

Taking a small break from people, which bored him to tears the majority of the times with petty topics of conversation, Sehun looked carefully around the room, looking for his people. His brother, looking absolutely elegant in a white tuxedo, glided across the room, talking to people, an absolutely dazzling smile plastered on his face, making the delights of old matrons; Kyungsoo was nowhere on sight, so that meant he was probably yelling at he cooks from the catering company, being the perfectionist he was. Yixing and Junmyeon were on a corner talking to each other, even if Junmyeon had an expression that clearly meant he was not happy. In fact, he had been very reluctant about the party and the whole engagement plan altogether and Sehun couldn’t really figure out why, which bothered him in a sense, since Junmyeon was his friend. Minseok, Tao and Kris were someone in the room, hiding in the shadows and keeping an eye on everything. The remaining trio was handling the guest of honor of the evening, the fiancé himself.

Luhan, who had talked to Baekhyun, had told him that the smaller male was nervous but confident at the same time, which was an oxymoron in itself but made sense, more so when his brother explained to him that Baekhyun was feeling anxious to be in the presence of such influential people and the possibility of talking to them, especially since he wasn’t used to doing so but, at the same time, he was determined to do his best.

Sehun had been informed that his supposedly fiancé was still getting ready, despite the fact that he should have been on the ball room a while ago but Choa, bless her heart, had also informed him that Jongdae wasn’t letting the smaller male leave without him being polished to perfection. Sehun hated to wait but against Jongdae he was powerless, not that Jongdae would have it any other way.

“How are you doing my friend?” he heard a voice from behind him ask.

“Siwon.” he greeted, shaking hands with the tall man in front of him.

Choi Siwon was an old acquaintance of Sehun, son of one of the biggest family of lawyers in the country, to whom he had resorted to more than once, not that they hadn’t asked for their quota of favors as well. Despite the fact that they had helped each other in many occasions, Sehun wasn’t very fond of Siwon, the tall man, with outstandingly handsome features, made Sehun’s blood boil a lot, since the man was known for subtly trying, time and time again, to recruit Sehun’s people into his side. He had also made a very big mistake a few years back that Sehun had never forgiven him for.

“Come on; don’t tell me you are still mad at me for that little incident.”

“That incident, as you called it, ended up with my lover dead and with her brother, one of my good friends, apathetic.” replied Sehun with a hint of steel and anger on his voice.

Siwon chose not raise to the bait, reading by the other’s reaction, questioning Sehun about something else, in order to made the other forget about topic.

“I was wondering; why did you concoct this party? You are not the man for parties and it was certainly a surprise to read the invitation.”

“There are moments in live that are to be celebrated.” replied Sehun smoothly.

“Such as?”

Sehun was about to answer but the murmurs of the crowd were simply too much for him to ignore. He and Siwon looked in the direction of the staircase near them. There stood Baekhyun, climbing down the stairs slowly, aided by Chanyeol and Jongdae, looking absolutely majestic in his black suit; eyes slightly lined with kohl and hair falling into his forehead in soft waves. The scene looked one from every romantic movie ever made but the view was one hundred percent worth it.

Sehun was speechless for a second; he was used to see the smaller male wander around the house in sweatshirts and sweatpants, looking too much of a beggar to call it casual, so this was a novelty and he had grudgingly had to admit that the shorter male looked stunning, regally beautiful even. Apparently Siwon, who he had, momentarily, forgot that breathed thought so too.

“Beautiful.” he heard Siwon say. “Who is he? How do you know such a magnificent creature, Sehun?”

Sehun didn’t answer, instead he moved forward until he reached the bottom of the staircase, eyes never leaving the features of the smaller male, taking Baekhyun’s hand in his as soon as the other foot stepped on the last step, pulling the male towards him, tucking him into his side, adding to the increase of whispering going around, ignoring the masked look of surprise on the younger’s face.

With a delighted smile on his face, Sehun then turned to the crowd of people, who kept muttering at the sight before them.

“Ladies and gentlemen” he started in a clear, loud voice, making everyone fall into silence “you may wonder why did I asked you all to be here, today. As you know, I am not a man of many words, eloquence wasn’t something that smiled upon me; my guess is that my brother had my portion of it when we were younger. “he stated making everyone in the room chuckle at the remark. “I am also a man with very clear goals; I know what I want, I know where I am heading to and I also work hard to achieve it and maybe that is the key to my success, at least, it has been so far. I am a very happy man to be able to have conquered what I did so far: a prosperous company and a good circle of friends that never let me down. I thought I had all that I could possibly want. How wrong was I; recently I have discovered that there is also a thing more that brings much happiness into my life. Something that completes me, as a man, in a way that cannot compare to such mundane things as money or power, which is why I would like to present you Byun Baekhyun, my beloved fiancé.”

The statement had a big impact on the people gathered around them who gasped and talked among themselves, shocked at the prospect of the most powerful and well wanted bachelor ever being engaged.

Sehun felt Baekhyun trembling slightly at his side and tightened the hold on the smaller, partially to calm him down, partially to remember the other to not crumble in front of those people.

“My fiancé,” proceeded Sehun “as many of you may not know, is the son of the late Wu Jin and brother to the man with the same surname: Kris. I hope that you treat him kindly, as he is very dear to me; he is the man I love and this party was nothing more than a shameless announcement of my engagement to you, my dear friends, so that we all can, together, celebrate such joyous event.” he made a slight pause, ignoring all the gossip that he could hear going around before finishing his speech. “I take no more of your time. I wish you all a good night and thank you for being here to celebrate one of the happiest moments of my life.”

With those final words, Sehun turned to the smaller man to press a kiss onto his forehead, earning some cooing sounds from the older women.

“That was such an abrupt statement.” commented Baekhyun airily as Sehun guided him though the crowds, pausing to greet someone in the way and presenting his fiancé to whomever approached them, and he had to hand it to Baekhyun, since the man was brilliantly handling the situation, being polite and a true charmer, while projecting an innocent vibe that left anyone surrendered to him.

“You know me, I don’t like to beat around the bush: direct approach is the best way to deal with things.” replied Sehun, looking at the smaller who was contentedly some non-alcoholic beverage; Yixing would murder him if he ever allowed Baekhyun to do so while he was taking medicine.

“Indeed...”

“So this is what you were hiding!” exclaimed a new voice that belonged to Siwon as Sehun could see once he turned around, arm wrapped firmly around Baekyun’s waist.

Sehun shot the man an unimpressed look at the attempt of a joke.

“Choi Siwon, it is the upmost pleasure to meet you, beautiful Byun Baekhyun.” declared Siwon, taking Baekhyun’s hand in his and kissing it lightly.

The auburn haired male featured hardened at the blatant flirting that Siwon displayed towards his fiancé. It wasn’t as if he was really Sehun’s fiancé but the Oh heir wasn’t very happy at the fact that Siwon was doing, after all he had to maintain appearances. However, as he saw Baekhyun discreetly wipe his hand on his own suit, even if he had a disarming smile painted on his face, a smirk grew to his lips.

“Pleasure to meet you! I hope you are enjoying the night and aren’t finding it too boring, especially now that you know it is actually and engagement party.”

“I am so shocked to know that Sehun is engaged. Never once I imagined him married, not even with his previous…affairs. I am actually very surprised that you consider the possibility of marrying him, especially given the fact that he does what he does.”

While Baekhyun wasn’t that fond of Sehun, he wasn’t going to let his fake fiancé be insulted, even if was a very well camouflaged insult.

“I can assure you Mr. Choi that I am very aware of the type of business that Sehun maintains. While I wasn’t brought up it the same circles as you did growing up, since my father and my brother were focused on my education, I am not exactly a fool or as fool as you might think. As for Sehun’s past affairs, I can only say that they will remain where they are, which is why we are using the past tense, hence the reason why I am wearing an engagement ring. Also, I am not sure how high I should regard you, being Sehun’s acquaintance, but I can safely say that I am not very fond of people insulting my fiancé, whether discreetly or not, therefore I will ask you to refrain yourself from such comments, they are degrading and beneath you.” replied Baekhyun with a serene expression on his handsome features, before standing on his tip toes to kiss Sehun deeply, making a show for Siwon to see. “I will go search for Kyungsoo, I have not seen him once tonight and I must commend him for the brilliant job he did, organizing this party. It was a pleasure to meet you Mr. Choi.” stated the small male before slowly walking through the crowd in search of said man.

Byun Baekhyun, admitted Choi Siwon angrily, as he watched the man walk away, after completely dissing him, was a force to be reckoned.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan approached Baekhyun when he saw how fake Baekhyun’s smile was getting by the minute. It didn’t take a genius to figure out that the smaller male was getting tired and grumpier. When the couple Baekhyun was talking disappeared somewhere, he placed an arm around the male’s shoulder.

“How are you doing Baekhyun?”

“I want to drown myself and then be run over by Titanic three times over.” replied the smaller male, with murder in his eyes, despite the fact he still had his smile in place.

“That bad?”

“Bad? Bad is a euphemism! I can’t have a decent conversation with anyone; the only topics that are good enough are if I did any plastic surgery to look good, if I am really the son of Wu Jin, why my surname isn’t Wu, the fact that Jia isn’t my mother and that I am a lowly nurse. It’s boring me to tears and I want to punch the majority of the people in this room repeatedly.”

Luhan patted Baekhyun in the back, feeling sorry for the other male.

“People like this can really be, well, frivolous. The majority of them are and knowing that you are the illegitimate son of Jin is something big for them. Juicy news to keep them occupied, hating on each other and feeling envy… the usual.”

“It’s dreadful. I feel my I.Q. lowering every time one of them opens their mouth. And plus I have a big creeper on my tail. Siwon hadn’t let me go the whole evening. I can’t look over my shoulder without him being there.”

“Do you want me to call Jongin?”

“No, I am glad enough that he is within eye distance.” assured Baekhyun, turning slightly to smile at Jongin’s figure, which stood near the entrance of the room, eyes trained on him.

“Baekhyun.” a voice called.

Baekhyun closed his eyes and sighed deeply at the sound of that dreaded voice, making Luhan chuckle slightly at the expression.

“What have I done, tell me Luhan? Is this Karma because I kicked Jongdae the other day? Come on, I didn’t even hit him hard, I can’t because of the knee!” whined Baekhyun making Luhan laugh out loud, drawing the attention of many people around them. “I need alcohol.”

“No, you don’t!” exclaimed Luhan quickly. “You’re going to be just fine and I am going to leave you along and try to find Jongdae.”

“Nooo! Don’t leave me alone you traitor.” muttered Baekhyun under his breath as Luhan walked away and Siwon approached.

“How are you doing my beautiful Baekhyun?”

“I am absolutely wonderful, as I was five minutes ago when you asked me.”

“You have a wonderful sense of humor.”

“I think there would be a lot of people who would disagree with you.”

“So” started Siwon, getting close to the smaller male “I have heard through the grapevine that you are a nurse.”

“I am” replied Baekhyun “I studied to be a nurse, I was a nurse.”

“But you are not working?” asked the taller.

“Not really, my workplace was blow up as you may have heard on the news, which makes it hard for me to work at the moment.”

“I also heard you are the son of Wu Jin but your surname…”

“I have my mother’s surname.” stated the smaller getting progressively tired with the inquisition.

“So you are telling me that Jia isn’t your mother.”

“As I told many people; she isn’t in fact my mother.”

“Such big secrets coming from such a small person.”

Baekhyun choose to ignore the comment, stopping Jimin, who was just leaving the room with an empty tray on her hand, ask her if she could get him tea, request to which the young maid simply nodded with a smile.

“And you are in good terms with Jimin. It surprises me, really, since she is such a wild cat. You are full of surprises aren’t you?” asked Siwon in a seductive whisper, back hugging the smaller male, much to his discomfort.

“Either you let go of me or I’ll break or nose.” threatened the smaller with an angry glare.

“If he doesn’t punch your nose, I certainly will. Let go of my fiancé!”

Baekhyun heard Sehun voice and immediately detached himself from Siwon to plaster himself at Sehun side, completely freaked out by the other’s continuous advances.

“So possessive Sehun… you really should learn how to share!” commented Siwon with a smirk on his face that only managed to infuriate the other male.

He was about to take drastic measures, as he had realized that Siwon had been harassing his fiancé all evening, but a soft hand in his stopped him. He turned to look at Baekhyun who timidly shook his head as to say that it wasn’t worth it. Siwon laughed at the display.

“You see Baekhyun, I have known Sehun for many years and let me tell you, Sehun is not the man to be engaged, much less married to someone as you. Let’s face it, you are beautiful, absolutely stunning but you are, in the end, a common people, you weren’t brought in the same society as we did, you didn’t socialized with the same people as we did and you seem far too soft for someone like him. My guess, is that you are trying to bullsh*t us all with a fake engagement for whatever reason that you have. So, I will continue to try and seduce your ‘fiancé’” mocked the man, using his finger to do the quoting gesture “and take him to bed with me because I can’t resist a gorgeous man with a banging body like he does, that would look amazing spread on my bedsheets.”

Sehun’s eyes hardened impossibly at the other’s words; partially because Siwon had the audacity of underestimating him, trying to force him to admit his wrong doings and knock him from his well-deserved spot at the top but also because of the rudeness and cruel words the other had directed to his supposed fiancé.

“You see Siwon” began Baekhyun very calmly, surprising both males “I am sure that I have known Sehun for far less time than you do and am aware that he isn’t a man of commitment. I do know those things. And, for whatever reason, he chooses me to be part of his life. Me! As you said, I am the most common person in the world, I don’t have any family left aside from my brother, I struggled for a long time with shortness of money to pay my bills and I certainly know nothing about being a classy, elegant and poised person like you do. But I do know how to love. I love with all my heart; unconditionally. That is what I have to offer. It’s not much, it’s barely nothing, but is honest. I am willing to give my love to him until he accepts it, if he will do it forever, only time will tell. Maybe it’s not up to your standards but then again, it’s not you who I am engaged to, nor will you ever be. I can’t talk for him but rest assured that my love for him is very much real. So you can take your educated gibberish, and shove them where the sun doesn’t shine.”

With that last sentence, Baekhyun kissed Sehun, who was not expecting it, languidly and sensuously, making a point to look at Siwon while he doing it, mentally showing the man what he could only dream of, running his long, pretty fingers, at the nape of the taller’s neck, before stalking off when he noticed Jimin looking for him in the crowd.

“This is exactly why I am engaged to him.” said Sehun looking directly into the other man’s stunned eyes. “Because he expects nothing more from me than what I am willing to give him and because he can stand on his own, against the world if needed, oh so well, and far more elegantly than everyone could ever manage.” He gave Siwon a small pat on the shoulder before he went after his fiancé, leaving a flabbergasted man behind.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When the party was over, every single guest leaving, congratulations pouring out of their mouths like a fountain, Baekhyun finally dropped the fake smile he was supporting throughout the night and sat on the couch in the living room, hissing slightly at the discomfort he felt on his knee from being on his feet far too long from the expected.

“You should have listened to me and take a break.” told him Yixing gently, examining the knee. “Luckily for you this is just soreness.”

“I know it is Yixing; you do forget that I am a nurse, don’t you?” asked Baekhyun with a smile.

“Sometimes I do. You are quite young and quite reckless.” replied Yixing playfully bopping him on his nose. “If the discomfort is too much, take a painkiller and then rest. I am off to bed, this party had drained me.”

“Okay. Goodnight Yixing.” mumbled the younger, receiving a ‘goodnight’ back from the older.

Pretty much everybody was asleep already or getting ready to bed. The party, which had happened in the ball room, at the eastern part of the Oh estate was left exactly like it was; Sehun decided that it was much too late for cleanings and had given instructions for it to be done the next day.

Only Jongin was inside the living room along with Baekhyun, Chanyeol had long retreated himself to his bedroom, claiming the noise was too much for someone who had low tolerance to noise.

“Did you enjoy the party?” asked Baekhyun to Jongin, looking at the taller male.

“I am not the most adequate person to answer to that.” replied Jongin with a chuckle. “After all, I was working. But it was a very well put event and you did look stunning.”

Baekhyun felt his cheeks heat up at the comment; Jongin was not a man of many words but every time that he did speak, Baekhyun was left speechless.

“I…thank you.”

“You are very much welcome.” nodded Jongin, gently grabbing Baekhyun’s hands to help him stand.

That was exactly how Sehun found them when he walked inside the room but he was far too stressed to ponder over the fact that aloof Jongin was actually interacting with his fake fiancé.

“We have problems.” He announced gravely.

“What kind of problems?” asked Baekhyun quickly, while Jongin’s eyes narrowed at the prospect of a threat.

“Siwon still doubts our engagement story so he invited himself into staying the next week here to make sure.”

“No, no, no, no, no!” repeated the smaller male in quick succession. “Make him change his mind! I don’t want him here. I had my share of acting tonight; no more.”

“I don’t exactly have a choice” gritted Sehun between clenched teeth “he is currently taking care of a lawsuit that someone made against my company. We just have to deal with it one more week!”

Baekhyun groaned at the unexpected announcement and cursed at the heavens for his poor luck before looking at Sehun.

“Welcome to a week of unwanted, creepy guest.” he grumbled before marching out of the room, followed by an amused Jongin and a frustrated Sehun.

 

 

A/N: Who asked for an extra long chappie? Well, here it is anywaaaaaaays. What did you think of it? I want to read all about your thoughts so don't be shy and come and talk to me, okay? While you are at it, you can also subscribe and upvote, if you haven't already (if you have already, many, many thanks!).

So, about next chapter, it might take a bit longer to put it up (maximum a week and that is stretching it to the point of exageration, just as a precaution!) but I am going to be busy until Sunday which means that my time to write is going to be cut short these days. For those who ever wondered, I do work from 8:30 am to 7 pm which means that I only get a few hours each evening to write but, as I said, the next few days not even that is going to happen. 

I apologize now for the delay of the next chapter and ask you to be as understanding as you have been and bare with me, okay?

Also, don't forget, stay healthy, love and BE HAPPY!

Much love to every single one of you <3