Bend And Break, I'm Not Made Of Stone

Big Bad Wolf

If there was something that Baekhyun would never forget, not even once, in his life, was that awful image of the dead man staring back at him, eyes vacant and life gone. It wasn’t as if he wasn’t used to it, unfortunately, in his line of work, he get to watch death reap innocent and not so innocent souls all the time but this time it was different, it was different because it was someone who had just tried to kill him and had been shot right in front of his face; usually he only dealt with people after they got injured, not during.

In a way, he pitied the man, for his foolish decision to try and enter Oh Sehun’s domains and he was kind of relieved that the man had a relatively quick death, not much suffering; Baekhyun wouldn’t wish a torturing death not even to his worst enemy but most of all he felt glad that the man was gone and he was safe again.

He felt hands cupping his jaw making him look at a pair of concerned brown eyes, looking into his own wild ones. Jongin had squatted next to him and was now looking at the older male, more like scrutinizing him and accessing his well-being.

“Are you okay?” he asked, smooth voice firmly keeping Baekhyun grounded.

“I am…” replied Baekhyun weekly, voice failing him a bit due to shock.

Jongin nodded and let Baekhyun free, who turned to look at Chanyeol, remembering how his friend had been grazed by a bullet.

The taller male was quite already, despite looking a little confused and dazed at everything that just happened but he let himself willingly be submitted to Baekhyun’s inspection, with the other pulling incessantly at his sweatshirt and inspecting the slight wound on the other’s upper arm; luckily enough it wasn’t anything concerning, just a graze that needed to be disinfected and bandaged.

Out of relieve, Baekhyun crawled near the other’s body and hugged him tightly to his chest, praying to high heavens that his taller friend was okay. Chanyeol wrapped his arms around the smaller’s fragile frame and hugged him back, understanding the need of reassurance that Baekhyun had, the need to feel that Chanyeol was okay.

“Jinki.” gasped Baekhyun after a while.

He stood up, biting back a scream of pain when his injured knee felt the pressure of his weight being put on it and limped in a rapid manner to the kitchen, calling Jimin and Yuna and yelling the agreed code to them, making the maids unlock the door and letting him inside. Baekhyun moved to Jinki, immediately reverting to nurse mode, assessing the condition of the butler.

“How’s Jinki?” he asked calmly.

“Everything was just how you left us.” replied Jimin, who was a little more composed than Yuna who sobbed in relief.

“No changes? Nothing strange about him?”

“No, he kept breathing normally, his pulse was pretty much constant and he stopped bleeding so much a while ago. He was even conscious for a short moment of time but I think the pain and shock was too much and he fainted again.”

“Good.” muttered Baekhyun.

With precise, careful hands, Baekhyun cut Jinki’s shirt, leaving the bullet wound exposed to the air. Yuna had ran to the supply closet and got Baekhyun latex gloves which he put on.

“The bullet went straight through, exit wound is here. He lost a considerable amount of blood maybe not enough to endanger him but he’ll probably need a transfusion.”

“Sir Yixing has a room, joined to his, where he can make blood transfusions.” supplied Jimin.

“Why would he?” asked Baekhyun, voice raising a few octaves in surprise.

“Look at what they do for a living. It’s completely reasonable.” stated Yuna as a matter of fact.

It made sense, thought Baekhyun as he asked the maids to go ahead and prepare the room for him, since he was going to need it. He was so tired and his knee hurt so much but he had Jinki to take care of.

Much to his joy, Jongin and Jongdae, who had come down after Kyungsoo had searched for him, helped him hoist Jinki up and to the said room. The nurse was actually kind of amazed, the room Yixing room looked a lot like a small hospital and he was thankful for that.

Choa was inside the room, looking a little bit worse for the wear but she was absolutely thrilled to see Baekhyun, hugging him briefly, and blushing horribly afterwards at the enthusiastic manifestation of relief. Sehun and Chanyeol joined him a few moments after, along with Kyungsoo, just as Baekhyun was in the process of disinfecting the wound.

Jongdae had informed the nurse that the bullet was completely intact, much to Baekhyun’s relief, since it meant no fragments were inside Jinki’s body. He efficiently sutured the wounds with perfect little stiches and then put an IV drip and a bag of O positive running though the male’s veins. Then, carefully enough, he bandaged the man and gave him some morphine, just to keep the man free from pain for a while.

The maids were long gone, the sight of blood proving to be too much, especially knowing it came from someone as close to them as Jinki was. Also, Kyungsoo, being the kind human being he was, decided it would do them good to sit for a while and drink some tea to calm some of the nerves. Jongin stood for a while before Sehun told him to get rid of the body on their living-room.

Chanyeol, who Baekhyun assisted after treating Jinki, approached after Baekhyun threw the latex gloves into a garbage can nearby.

“How are you?” he asked in a low tone of voice.

“I’m…okay.”

“Someone just tried to kill you, you can’t just be okay.”

“I am not.” confessed Baekhyun with a laugh that was so deprived of life that even Sehun and Jongdae looked at him from the other corner of the room. “I am so not. A man just got inside this house, god knows how, almost killed a man and nearly shot another one; let’s not mention the fact that he scared the living day lives out of the people who worked here.”

“You know that it isn’t your fault right?” asked Jongdae from afar.

“The worst is that it is my fault. All of this; it’s my fault! Ever since the day I was born people have been killed left and right because of me, because I exist, because I breathe. Do you know how hard it is to accept that? My father, my mother, friends…killed; dead all because of me!”

The three conscious men looked at the smaller one; in a way they were surprised that the other hadn’t break soon. All of them had surpassed struggles on their life, many of them related to the life they had, but the man in front of them had been forced to run, for the bigger part of his life, in order to stay alive, watching the people he loved being forcefully taken of his life, whether Jia killed them or because he had to leave them behind. The only person that Baekhyun did have at the moment was Kris, his own brother and that might’ve only been because Jia didn’t want to kill her only son. And why? Because the woman held a grudge against the illegitimate son of her husband.

“And I’ve tried so hard to protect everyone but this just comes to prove that I can’t, no matter what I do, no matter what I try. She won’t go away and I can’t make her go. The only way to end this is for me to go to her and let her finish me off but I can’t; I can’t because I am selfish and I want to live but I can’t do this anymore.”

And a sob came out of Baekhyun’s chest while tears fell from his eyes. He was so tired of all this, of all the constant fear, the running, the worries. He had never cried in front of Kris because he knew his brother would blame himself and worry even more about him but this time it was too much. The man had been so close to get him and the fact that he almost killed friends. Baekhyun broke down. He hadn’t meant to cry, especially not in front of tall prick but seriously, he couldn’t care less at the moment.

A pair of arms enveloped him and Baekhyun raised his head to see Jongdae sad smile; he was a little surprised to see the man doing so, since they weren’t really that close.

“I understand all that you said and I also understand all that you didn’t say.” started Jongdae, looking Baekhyun in the eye. “Your situation is horrible, awful and I am very sorry that you are going through it. However, do not think, not even for a second, that any of this is your fault because it isn’t. The only one who is at fault in here is Jia because she is hunting down someone who was an innocent from the start. You never demanded anything, you never asked for anything, all you wanted was a peaceful life and that was stolen away from you the moment she found out who you were, or rather, who was your father. I do not approve of your father actions, betraying Jia, but it was her who decided to hurt a child, time and time again, because she couldn’t stand your father’s action. All of this is her fault and her fault only. The things you can ever be accused of are defending yourself and live and that is a blessing, not an offense. Everything is okay, nothing major happened and you need to stop feeling guilty for it. What you do need, at the moment, is to take some painkillers, and don’t even deny it because I’ve seen the way you have been limping around, and rest because you are very tired and emotional right now. Also, you need to stop crying your pretty little eyes out, you have made it so far and you’ll continue to do so, you are strong and whatever challenge she has planned for you, we have your back okay? You are not alone. Never doubt that!” finished Jongdae, gently wiping the tears away from the other’s cheeks. “Now Chanyeol, would you do me a favor and take Baekhyun to rest, he clearly needs it.”

“No.” replied the smaller male stubbornly” I need to take care of Jinki.”

“Right now what you need it a few hours of sleep; you are a nurse, you know what happens when adrenaline begins to wash out of your system. Go and sleep for a few hours and gather your thoughts. Then, with a clearer head, you can take care of Jinki.” Jongdae delivered the final argument when he saw how Baekhyun looked at him in doubt. “I promise to look after Jinki while you sleep and if anything goes out of normal, I’ll call you.”

There was uncertainty in the other’s expression, painted all over and clear ad day, but Jongdae meant what he said, the poor man had, all alone, managed to keep their staff safe, save Chanyeol, who most certainly would have been dead if not for the fact the smaller had gone looking for him and treated two injured man, after being intimidated and almost killed. He was actually shocked at the younger’s level headed actions and decisions and not really sure how he hadn’t succumbed yet, he, himself, had been hiding in a room, barricaded, while the younger saved people even injured. He deserved to rest!

He cupped the younger face in his hands and gave him a stare that was gentle as it was hard.

“Go and rest Baekhyun. Please! You have gone through a lot in the past hour and you needed it. Your body needs. Don’t force me to drag you to bed, okay?”

“Okay.” mumbled the other, body sagging into Chanyeol’s, who was right behind the small nurse.

“Good. Chanyeol will go with you, won’t he?”

“Of course.” replied the giant promptly, nodding his head eagerly.

Chanyeol moved grabbed the other’s hand, trying to pull him out of the room but as soon as Baekhyun moved one step, he immediately collapsed, knee not supporting his weight, with an agonizing gasp leaving his lips.

“Baek!” yelled Chanyeol, moving to catch the other before he fell to the ground.

Jongdae inspected the other male and even Sehun moved to the trio, alarmed at the scene; he might have been crossed with the male but even he recognized that the man had a backbone and wouldn’t be complaining if it wasn’t really hurting.

“What’s wrong?” asked Jongdae, trying to hide the concern he felt.

“My knee!” gasped the nurse “It’s burning so much. I think I blown it up again.”

In fact, as soon as Jongdae lifted the leg of the sweatpants Baekhyun was using, he hissed at the insanely swollen knee, which was bright red and hot to the touch.

“Well, yeah, I am not doctor but I think a few painkillers and your leg immobile will do you wonders. Yixing and the others will arrive today in the evening; he’ll have to check upon that.”

“He’ll put me on a wheelchair again.” grumbled Baekhyun with a dark look, panting a little due to pain, while Chanyeol, with careful hands, lifted the other male and carried him out of the room.

“Well” started Jongdae as soon as the duo was out of the room “the little prince just succumbed to the pressure of belonging, even if indirectly, to the crime world. I have to admit, he does have more guts to him than I imagined. My first thought was to hide when I realized what happened but he went to look for others, he was worried, even though he was injured; even if there was an armed man inside. That is rather impressive.

Sehun had to nod; he wasn’t expecting the other to do so as well, it was one thing to talk back at him, everyone could talk back but to actually have the courage to do what Baekhyun had done, not many could. In Sehun’s mind that made him a little bit better than Sehun previously thought.

“I am far more concerned as to what are you going to do with Jia.” came a voice from the entrance and both men turned to see Kyungsoo walk inside the room, followed by Jongin.

“Yes, Kyungsoo’s absolutely right. I am curious as well!”

“This is war, plain and simple.” replied Sehun serenely, masking the surge of anger that he felt at the mention of the woman’s name. “She had the nerve to send someone to my house, harm my people and expects to get away from it? Not likely, not ever.”

“Are you really breaking your… peace treat?” asked Kyungsoo, hesitating a little on how to word his thoughts.

“She brought it upon herself. I offer her son a roof, which I can understand why she didn’t like it but, ultimately, she was the first to draw blood. I have no doubts in my mind that she would have others killed if they, by any chance, were to be inside the house.”

“And what exactly are you going to do?” asked the big eyes man.

“I have a couple of things in mind.” replied the taller man, a scary smile appearing on his face “She isn’t going to like any of them but that’s the whole point of it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

When Kris arrived from his trip to China, along with half of the occupants of that house and was informed of what happened, there wasn’t a single person that could’ve stand in his way and survived. He climbed the stairs, ignoring everyone and burst into his brother’s designated room. He wanted to hold the smaller man in his chest and reassure himself that his baby brother was fine but he paused when he saw the man’s peaceful expression as he slept away, comfortably spread over the legs of Chanyeol, face pressed against the other’s tights.

“He is okay.” mumbled a soft voice and Kris only had time to divert his attention to Chanyeol’s sleepy eyes, as the man put on his hearing aid quickly.

“”My brother was attacked and he hurt himself again, how can you say he’s fine?” growled Kris in such a menacing way that Chanyeol bit back a whimper.

“But he is fine because Baekhyun is strong. Baekhyun is a stronger man than everyone gives him credit for.” replied Chanyeol shakily, after regaining his voice.

“Then why do I see tear tracks on his cheeks?”

“Because he is strong; not invincible nor unbreakable.”

Kris could see how Chanyeol’s arms wrapped around more tightly against Baekhyun as if shielding him from an invisible threat. There was an unspeakable affection in the air that made Kris feel slightly better with the whole ordeal.

“How is his knee?” asked Kris, after a few moments of silence, tone a little more gentle than it was at first.

“Hurt again. He took some painkillers before falling asleep but I think it’s better for Yixing to look at it.”

“You’re hurt.” pointed out Kris, finger waving in the general direction of Chanyeol’s bandaged arm.

“They tried to shot Baekhyun.” replied Chanyeol simply, as if it explained everything.

“Then why are you hurt?”

“Because Baekhyun isn’t supposed to get hurt.” offered the man on the bed, blinking sleepily at him.

Talking with Chanyeol was something surreal, the male gave strange answers or maybe it was because Kris wasn’t Baekhyun, who called him time and time again telling him about the big giant who was his friend. Either way, Kris could see that the other man cared about his brother, to the point of, apparently, take a bullet for him.

He just stood there, watching the pair, ignoring Chanyeol’s guarded eyes on him until he felt s shift in the atmosphere and noticed that the tall man was asleep, probably tired about the day's events.

Carefully, he pulled a chair near the bed and sat on it, continuing watching over his brother’s sleep and his tall friend too. He had to talk to Sehun, probably punch the living daylights out of him too; the bastard promised protection and this happened, Kris wasn’t just angry, there wasn’t even a word that could describe the ire that was consuming him at the moment but, for now, it had to wait; Sehun had to wait; the world had to wait. Right now, he just wanted to bask on his brother’s serene image, he wanted to print the image on the back of his eyelids to reassure himself that, for now, everything was alright.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan massaged Sehun’s shoulders softly, taking in the knots of tension accumulated on the area, most likely due to stress and the previous events happening.

“You are terribly tense.” he muttered with affection, tutting a little bit.

“I have reasons to be.” replied the taller man as Luhan hummed.

“Yes, yes. Jia has been a bother now hasn’t she. For a woman who tried to get along with you and fall on your good graces, she was quick to forget them when it came to annihilate Baekhyun, which is a pity because he is a wonderful person really. Just shows us how women can hold grudges sometimes. Admirable but bothersome.”

“What did you find out while in China?”

“That she also sent those men, the bombers. I suppose she was just targeting him and I was just unlucky, at least that was what one of them told us. They also told us that Jia had known for a while that Baekhyun and Kris were here.”

“Why only act now? That is the question?”

“Let’s worry about one thing at the time.” chided Luhan softly with a soft pat on the other’s smooth, milky cheek.

“Fair enough. Where are those men?”

“Kris and Minseok made them talk and Tao finished them off. No loose ends on that accord.”

“Good…”

“Now what is your next move, dear brother of mine? I know you would never let something like this bypass you. After all she damaged your property, per say.”

“Yes, I am most certainly not pleased with that. She will pay dearly for that and I do have to say that something crossed my mind.”

“Oh? Pray tell.” pressed Luhan curiously.

“Wu Jia is a force to be reckoned, however, she does have a big flaw about her that could potentially be her downfall, which is her pride. She is a very proud woman and I imagine how…unsettled she would be if the secret she so tenaciously protected came to public.”

“Baekhyun’s existence.” provided the blonde male.

“Exactly!” nodded Sehun with a little smirk on the corner of his lips “She is dedicating a lot of time trying to kill him because she is very afraid that the world knows about his existence. What would people say if they knew how Wu Jia, owner of the biggest empires in China, was cheated upon by her husband, who had an illegitimate son with another woman? And people will start to look at her in a different way, I mean, she couldn’t even keep her husband straight, so who can assure she can keep her business from falling apart. Doubt will come and her pride and power will suffer some dents.”

“I see what you are trying to say but my question is how are you going to achieve that? I mean, it’s all very true but as soon as the secret his out, there will be an increased focus on him, which can endanger him more.”

“Hence the reason why I have to make everyone know that he is under my protection.”

“Simply saying he is under your protection isn’t going to be enough to make power and greed moved wolves to catch the little lamb.”

“I am going to add a little twist that will give him an extra protection. One that, not only, those called wolves will back out at the prospect of dealing with me, but also is also going to assure me that he has got the mass media attention who will make those wolves jobs very hard. After all, the wolves who try to eat the public’s favorite lamb will be burned at the stakes.”

Luhan’s hands stopped their motion on Sehun’s back and he turned his brother’s face to look at him directly in the eyes. While Luhan understood the goals that Sehun had created to make his little plan viable, he could not, for the life of him, know how on Earth Sehun would be doing exactly what he had said.

“Enlighten me, how are you planning to do that exactly?”

“Very simple: I will create fundraiser ball on which I will present Baekhyun to the so called high society and to the media as the illegitimate son, as I told you, but also, as my own fiancé.”

The blonde male looked at his brother sharply in a mix of shock and amusement.

“Did I hear correctly? Your fiancé?”

“No one will touch him once I announce him as so. They are too afraid of me. And then two birds are killed with one stone; Baekhyun is protected and Jia is publicly humiliated. Simple as that!”

“Simple?” snorted the smaller male “You do know you have to convince Kris and worse Baekhyun and, to put it frankly, Baekhyun isn’t exactly your fan.”

“I agree. It won’t be an easy task, which is the reason why I count on you and Kyungsoo to change their minds. Especially since the little nurse actually goes along well with you both.”

“I can try…”

“That’s all I ask.”

Luhan pressed a kiss into the taller’s cheek, gliding elegantly out of the room and leaving Sehun with his own thoughts. His plan was perfect, brilliant and, for once, he was quite please by having Baekhyun as a pawn in the little chess game he was playing with Jia. However, Sehun disregarded a small fact that was quite known in chess: even paws could be promoted to more important pieces.

 

 

A/N: And here it is another wacky plan by Sehun! How do you think Baek is going to react to that? The poor baby was really down after what happened! So, that might affect his decision, or not. Let me know about all of your theories and thoughts about the story and I'll be sure to reply, as I usually do ^^
More so, if you like this story, subscribe to it and upvote it, if you really want you can check my other stories, maybe you'll like them!
Have a magnificent day! Lots of love for you all and...BE HAPPY! <3