The Lamb On The Wolf's Den

Big Bad Wolf

To actually say that Baekhyun was angry would be an euphemism; he was completely furious, he wanted to throw Kris out of a window and then punch him hard on the groin so that the man would never bring his offspring to the world; at this point Baekhyun didn’t care if that meant he would never be an uncle, the world was better off without Kris’ offspring, if they were anything like their dumb father, then Baekhyun would be doing the world a favor. He couldn’t fathom, for the life of him, why Kris had accepted the Oh’s offer, especially not after he had warned his brother not to. Now, thanks to his brother decision, he was living in a house that wasn’t his own, surrounded by strangers who could easily kill him in his sleep, despite his hapkido skills.

The petite blond looked at the ample and extremely exquisite house, discovering and trying to familiarize himself with all the crooks and crannies in it, while he peacefully wheeled himself around; it had been two days since the explosion at his hospital, which unfortunately had victimized a lot of his coworkers and patients. He had tried hard to feel sad and sorry for those who had passed away however, the relief of having survived the incident was completely overpowering any other emotion when it came to that topic. Had he actually been on time for work and entered the building, he would be joining his mother and father, wherever they were.

At the moment he was by himself, steering his wheelchair to the kitchen, he needed to take some medicine, prescribed by Yixing, the nice doctor that had assisted him when he joined the Oh’s household. The fact that Oh brothers had a personal doctor had been the only reason why he had been let out of the hospital. His knee injury, along with his awful wrist, which was now throbbing insanely, had forced him to be in a wheelchair because he couldn’t support himself with crutches, at least not like this. He would’ve liked to refute every single sentence that Yixing had told him but, being a nurse, he understood that the other was completely right. He also told Baekhyun to call someone to push him, instead of wheeling himself, to prevent his wrist from any effort; however, the blond nurse was too stubborn to ask for help, especially considering the people he was forced to live with.

When Baekhyun reached the kitchen, he tried to find a cracker or a biscuit to eat with his medicine, since he knew that anti-inflammatory pills should never be taken on an empty stomach. He opened the pantry door and immediately found an opened packet. However, said packet stood on a shelf that Baekhyun couldn’t reach without standing up from the chair which, at the moment, was a no go for him since his knew was too swollen to him to bend. He glared at the offensive packet and cursed the fact there wasn’t that many people home. The fact that the usual maids, Jimin, Choa and Yuna, along with the butler, Jinki, to which he had been formally introduced yesterday, when the effects of the painkillers provided at the hospital stopped and he regained his senses, weren’t home; it was Friday and Sehun gave his employers the day plus the weekend, so he couldn’t really shout for them.

He wheelchair ridden man decided to forgo the crackers and went to the fridge to grab a bottle of water but, low and behold, they were neatly piled in the top corner of the fridge…were Baekhyun couldn’t reach either. He glared fridge before shutting the door, he would just go to the bathroom and drink from the faucet since it appeared to be the only place that he could reach and had water. He had the bathtub too but he wasn’t ready to go through that path yet.

A noise startled him out of his reverie and he turned around to see the tall, dark haired man with glasses that he met on his first night at the house. If he wasn’t mistaken is name was Chanyeol. Said man must be aware that he had new housemates, since he nodded hesitantly at Baekhyun before turning his bed to the nurse, checking for something on the cupboards. When he finally found what he was looking for, a mug, he went to the coffee machine and fiddled with it.

Although Baekhyun wasn’t really sure the taller male liked him, it couldn’t hurt to ask him for help, judging by the height of the man, who made Baekhyun feel like a little child next to him, especially sitting down, he was fully able to reach the crackers and the water bottle.

“Excuse me!” he called in a soft tone of voice “Could you help me please?”

Baekhyun frowned a bit when the other man failed to answer; he didn’t even turn around to face him. He repeated the question a little louder, face turning red in embarrassment and anger.

“He won’t hear you.”

The blonde male jumped slightly and twisted his head to see who was talking to him; at the kitchen’s entry was a man with big eyes and full lips, dark hair and small stature. Baekhyun recognized the male as Kyungsoo, Sehun’s secretary and personal assistant.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to startle you.” said Kyungsoo with a slight smile on his face.

“It’s alright.” replied Baekhyun shrugging his shoulders. Out of everybody in this crazy household, Kyungsoo and Yixing were the only ones who had received brownie points so far.

“I was saying that Chanyeol probably won’t hear you. Let me check something.”

Kyungsoo stood next to Chanyeol, shaking him on the shoulder. When the taller man faced Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo tapped his ear twice, pointing to Baekhyun afterwards Chanyeol looked at Kyungsoo and then at Baekhyun, his face turning red in embarrassment after realizing something; he had a very expressive face so Baekhyun could tell. He watched as the taller picked up his mug and bolted out of the room, feeling a little confused at the scene that just happened. Kyungsoo sighed before speaking.

“I’m sorry. Don’t get him wrong, he’s a nice person but he’s very awkward, especially when it comes to socializing.”

“Why?! He looks very charismatic, despite the fact that he looks kind of scary!” Baekhyun waved a hand in Kyungsoo’s direction when the male shot him a questioning glance. “But don’t mind me; I tend to find everyone who is taller than scary, height complex.”

Kyungsoo smothered a laugh at the other words before he calm down enough to answer the other’s question.

“Chanyeol has a hearing impairment. I think it happened sometime when he was a teenager. I know that he suffered a bit throughout high school, especially since he didn’t have the money to get hearing aid, he used sign language. He only got that very recently and sometimes forgets that he needs to wear them; don’t take it personally if you are talking to him and he doesn’t pay attention. Also, he feels a little self-conscious because he can be very loud without meaning to and sometimes his speech is slurred and not very clear. So, yeah…”

Baekhyun wanted to reply but Chanyeol reappeared in the kitchen at that moment, hands fumbling him the small hearing aid device behind his ears. He stopped near Kyungsoo and looked at Baekhyun shyly.

“This is Baekhyun Chanyeol. As Sehun told you he and his brother are living with us.” at Chanyeol’s silence, Kyungsoo pushed him a little “He was talking to you earlier, why don’t you see what he wants?”

However, Chanyeol seemed a little reluctant. Baekhyun could understand that the taller male was probably shy about using his voice to a stranger. However to Chanyeol and Kyungsoo’s surprise Baekhyun’s hands started to move in a rapid fashion, a gentle smile stretching his lips.

“Hi! My name is Baekhyun.” he signed.

“You know sign language?” asked Kyungsoo.

“I do.” nodded Baekhyun “I had a patient who was dead so I learn to sign to be able to talk with him.”

“You learned because of a patient?”

“Of course! It kind of bothered me that everyone expected him to write on papers or read lips. Why should he try to meet us at the end? Why couldn’t we learn sign language instead? So I just learned.” replied Baekhyun with a shrug.

“Wow, that’s impressive. The only person in here who knows sign language is Tao. Sehun’s bodyguard, the taller one. He talks a lot with Chanyeol when he can but normally Chanyeol stays home and work while Tao watches Sehun’s back.”

“Now Chanyeol has me too!” stated Baekhyun smiling disarmingly at the two males in front of him, tilting is head to the side.

Kyungsoo smiled back at the nurse before turning to Chanyeol but the other male was so red, cheeks looking so much like fire engines that Kyungsoo gave up on whatever question he was going to ask. He suddenly remembered that Baekhyun must have a purpose for coming into the kitchen.

“I am sorry, I should’ve asked this sooner but do you need anything?”

“Oh! Yeah, I do actually. Could you please help and get the crackers out of the pantry and a bottle of water from the fridge? I need to take my medicine but I can’t exactly reach it at the moment.”

“Of course! I should’ve remembered earlier that you need help with this. Well, Sehun should’ve but he’s Sehun, he doesn’t give two rats asses about anyone at the best of days, let alone the rest! I’m sorry; we should’ve been more considerate towards you.”

“That’s okay, after all I am the intruder here.” replied Baekhyun softly with a different smile on his face and to tell the truth, Kyungsoo thought that the smile didn’t belong to the male’s face.

Baekhyun felt something being carefully deposited in his lap; when he looked down he saw the crackers and the bottle of water. His gaze met Chanyeol’s shy stare at him.

“Thank you!” Chanyeol gave him a little smile in recognition.

“Well Baekhyun, I would love to stay and make you some company but unfortunately I just came to pick an apple to take with me, since Sehun called me. Apparently I am needed at work. Will you be okay?”

“Don’t worry about me. I’ll be fine!” dismissed the other.

Kyungsoo nodded at him before picking an apple and leaving the room in a hurry after glancing at the clock. Baekhyun shook his head before putting a cracker on his mouth, munching on it while opening the water bottle to swallow the pill. Since he was well mannered, he put the crackers on the pantry again; on a shelf he could reach, after eating two more. He wheeled himself slowly down the kitchen, hissing in pain when his wrist started to hurt from the effort.

Suddenly, he felt himself being guided out of the kitchen and looked at Chanyeol who was pushing his wheelchair.

“Where to?” signed Chanyeol, looking at some point past Baekhyun’s shoulder.

“Living room please.” answered the tinier man.

Chanyeol wheeled Baekhyun to the living room, safely parking the wheelchair beside the couch, were Baekhyun made a switch from it to the couch. He handed Baekhyun the remote to the TV and stood beside him, shuffling a bit.

“Oh, I was going to read actually…” started Baekhyun until he saw the look on Chanyeol’s face; the look of someone who was in desperate need of company, so he added cheerfully “…but my wrist hurts to much to properly pick a book, much less turning the pages. I’ll watch TV instead. Want to join me Chanyeol?”

Chanyeol couldn’t help to feel like a kid in the candy store. The truth was because of his impairment there weren’t many people in the house that spare him two minutes. He probably was the one to blame since he was too shy of his speech to maintain a proper conversation with them. The only people in there that actually bother to try were Tao, Kyungsoo and Yixing; however he didn’t see Yixing or Tao that much because they were always so busy: Tao with being Sehun’s bodyguard and Yixing with his small clinic. Kyungsoo treated him like a baby and while Chanyeol appreciated the efforts, he didn’t like being babied that much; he was twenty-one for god’s sake. But then, this intriguing character had appeared, Baekhyun, the tiny male with a pretty smile who knew sign language and was now making an effort to spend some time with him. It intrigued him and made him very curious about the male. It was as if something was pulling him to the charming male. Maybe, just maybe, he could open up to Baekhyun a bit; maybe then he wouldn’t be so lonely. He sat himself beside Baekhyun, who gave him a smile.

“I’m really glad you joined me. It’s good to have company!” remarked Baekhyun “But still, I’ll pick what we are watching. So you won’t be tempted into watching Project Runaway or something!” laughed the blond, winking conspiratorially at the taller.

Maybe, thought Chanyeol, allowing one very small smile reach his lips.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Living in the same space as Oh Sehun wasn’t easy, if anything was very similar to what Baekhyun supposed it was hell on Earth. He wasn’t a warm person, he was always in control of his emotions and never showed what he thought to the majority of the people; the only real sign of affection shown were to his own brother and he liked Kyungsoo and Junmyeon well enough to humor them at times, but everyone else was treated with cold politeness. Baekhyun wasn’t even going to mention the way he treated some of his staff or even some of his coworkers, he barely acknowledge Yixing unless he needed something from the doctor, which was fine with Yixing who was more than happy to be given money and a safe house to live in. Also, he didn’t stay in the house long enough to care too much about those sort of things but he was loyal to Sehun, for whatever reason he had. Baekhyun like Yixing though, while the man wasn’t too much of a talker, he had a gentle aura about him that the shorter male liked, it didn’t hurt that they both shared a career in medicine.

Another person that Sehun wasn’t particular fond of was Jongin, aside from barking orders to the tanned male, Sehun’s interactions with him were scarce. Baekhyun had to admit that Jongin was an odd ball, very odd indeed: he rarely talked, keeping quiet to himself; he was a keen observer and, to be frank, Baekhyun felt as intimidated as he was curious about the man. The petite nurse often thought to himself if the melancholy and loneliness that he saw in the other’s eyes were really there or it was just his mind

The last person that was completely mistreated by Sehun was Chanyeol and that broke Baekhyun’s heart. Being injured, and while Kris and Sehun tried to find who had tried to hurt Baekhyun and Luhan, since Sehun had developed a personal vendetta against them, the nurse was forbidden to leave the house which, in all honesty, bothered him to no end; for once he was jobless since the hospital couldn’t function since it was partially destroyed and improper to treat people, then he was left home most of the time with the staff while everybody else worked, the only people he had, other than said staff, were Jongin and Chanyeol but he rarely saw Jongin, so he bonded with Chanyeol. The younger boy was sweet although very insecure and shy, he often kept Baekhyun company whenever he wasn’t busy with his computers, where he analyzed data for Sehun, decrypting codes, hacking into accounts and other stuff that Baekhyun didn’t understood much about.

What bothered Baekhyun the most was the fact that even if these people were neglected, in a way, by Sehun, no one dared to say a thing, maybe because it was normal or maybe it was because he was just an intimidating man; Baekhyun could understand why some of them said nothing, it was either comply or be kicked to the curb and lose the protection provided by the CEO. However, Baekhyun didn’t work for Sehun and despite the fact that Sehun was actually doing him and Kris a favor, he absolutely despised the arrogant little bastard that Sehun could be. The thing was Baekhyun wasn’t Sehun’s employer nor he was someone that Sehun particularly liked; he was more the inconvenient little brother of the man he wanted working with him, so Baekhyun didn’t feel the natural compulsion to adulate Sehun. Kris had warned him several times about his smart mouth and to not anger Sehun but Baekhyun could care less about it. So he didn’t hold back.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Dinner at the Oh Manor was a serious thing, at least to Sehun. Ever since he was a little boy his father made them all came down to eat supper at exactly eight p.m., whoever was missing or came late ate in the kitchen with the staff and wasn’t allowed to join the rest of them around the big table in the dining room. Tonight Sehun was already at the table, on his cherished position at the head of the table with Luhan on his right side: The place on his left was left vacant since it was Kyungsoo’s normal spot, the rest of the people just sat whenever they wanted as long as those two places where left for their designated people.

Sehun looked at the clock above the double doors at the entrance on the dining room, noting that it were seven minutes left to eight. The majority of the people that were eating were already at the table: Jongin, Minseok, Luhan and himself, they were only missing Baekhyun and Chanyeol, since the rest of them were working. Junmyeon and Kyungsoo were having a meeting with a potential client and the firm, Yixing was at the clinic, Tao and Kris were after someone who was suspected of having connections with the people who had put the bomb in the hospital and Jongdae was somewhere in Thailand, probably blowing his money away, the gambling trait in him kicking in, while he spied on someone.

The tall auburn haired man was growing impatient as he watched the clock coming closer to eight and not seeing the remaining people entering the room. Three minutes after Baekhyun entered the room, rolling himself slowly with a pained looked on his face, while Jinki, the butler, hurried to the male and helped him wheel himself into a vacant spot at the table. Baekhyun shot an appreciative, and very dazzling, smile at the butler.

“Would you like me to fetch your medicine Sir?” asked Jinki to Baekhyun.

“If you would be so kind, please do, Jinki.” nodded the nurse “And none of that Sir crap. Just Baekhyun is fine. I’ve told you that many times.”

“Yes, you did Sir, however I ask for patient and for you to tell me once more, as usual.” replied the butler gently, eyes crinkling.

Luhan hid a smile behind his hand at the scene, obviously enough Baekhyun, with his simple and humble ways had manage to wrap all the staff around his finger, everyone simply adored the petite male and discreetly dotted on him, well, more or less since Jimin, the second youngest maid had a smart mouth to her that no one could control, and she was pretty vocal about her preferences.

The kind butler went to pick Baekhyun’s medicine up and when he returned, Sehun gave order to start serving dinner. The short nurse frowned at the order because it wasn’t really eight o’clock yet and because Chanyeol, the sweet giant wasn’t in the room. He shrugged it off a bit, thinking that maybe Chanyeol didn’t want to eat but was completely delighted to see his friend burst through the door. He looked at the ancient clock and sighed slightly in relief when he saw that it wasn’t much after eight, just three minutes or so.

“You’re late.” stated Sehun coldly not even looking at Chanyeol, concentrating on the soup he was eating.

“I’m sorry” mumbled Chanyeol lowly “the computer…”

“I don’t want excuses.” interrupted Sehun “You are fully aware that dinner is served at eight o’clock every night, so there is no excuse. You’ll eat in the kitchen.”

“But…”

“Kitchen Chanyeol! I won’t warn you again.”

The giant turned back on his heel and left the dining room dejectedly, a sad expression clouding his face.

“Please reconsider you decision!” interjected Baekhyun suddenly “It’s only three after eight.”

Sehun paused his movements, spoon suspended in the air, as he looked at Baekhyun. The whole room was silent; no one even blinked as this was an unprecedented situation, no one had ever dared to question Sehun’s orders so far, except for Luhan, who was his brother, and occasionally Kyungsoo or Junmyeon.

“Chanyeol knows very well the rules of this household and what happens when they aren’t followed. He didn’t get here on time, he now faces the consequences.”

“I am not asking you to forgo the rules, just to reconsider it this time. It wasn’t even that late.” argued Baekhyun looking straight in Sehun’s eyes.

“Rules are rules for a reason. I am not asking you to understand it, much less to like them, but this is how things are done and this is how they will continue to be done. And you should be aware of those and know this too, since you are living here for more than a week.”

“You made the rules. I am sure that you can bend them a little once. You bend them enough for some people; why not do the same for Chanyeol, or Jongin or even Yixing?”

Baekhyun shot an apologizing look to an extremely amused Luhan, while everyone else watched with wide eyes, except form Jongin, even he tilted his head a fraction when his name was mentioned, opting for staring at the small nurse. Sehun wasn’t pleased with the attitude of the other, replying calmly and ignoring the little jab of him favoring some.

“No, I cannot and I won’t. Rules are meant to be followed and I won’t break the rules that I, myself, made. A strong, leading man cannot backtrack just because a little lamb like you, who have no knowledge about the world, wants to and is currently making a fuss about it.”

Baekhyun didn’t like the patronizing tone that Sehun was using, much less the clear fact that Sehun was calling him gullible and asking him to shut up, to put it simple. So, naturally, he decided to pay back in the same way.

“A strong, leading man, as you call it, not only back tracks but he ponders over a subject and even admit that he is wrong, but not everybody is capable of doing a self-retrospection and realizes his mistakes, especially over small subjects like this.”

“Mind you words!” cut Sehun, voice sharp and cutting “Don’t forget your place here! You are in my house and these are my rules, rules that you shouldn’t question but obey.”

“I am fully aware of my place, I am the inconvenient sibling of the man you so desperately want working for you. And it is precisely because I know my place that I will chose what rules to follow. Despite whatever you think, you don’t own people, much less control them and tell them what to do. And certainly not me.”

“If you don’t like the way I do things then you can leave.”

“Sure. However remember the moment I walk through those doors with that intention, you’ll lose Kris as well. So we are really at a crossroad here aren’t we?” asked Baekhyun placidly enjoying the view of Sehun’s grip tightening into his cutlery. When Sehun fail to answer, since Baekhyun had made a very valid point, the nurse chose to make his last jab. “It’s actually revolting to see how you treat people that work for you and are loyal to you for whatever reason.”

“I don’t expect you to understand, after all you are a protected little child that have been shielded all his life about the wolves in this world, but respect to your employers, which is what I assume you meant, is not earned by being nice, like you oh so kindly demonstrate to all of us.” remarked Sehun snidely.

“Wow! I mean wow.” laughed Baekhyun looking rather perplexed at the other’s words “You are so delusional that it made me lose my appetite.”

Sehun, and everybody else for the matter, watched in surprise as Baekhyun wheeled himself out of the table gracefully, muttering softly ‘excuse me’.

“If you leave this table” announced Sehun “will not comeback. You’ll eat in the kitchen from now on.”

“I am perfectly okay with that.” answered the shorter male calmly.

“And you won’t be allowed to eat any food today. We won’t waste food because of your tantrum.”

Baekhyun laughed at Sehun.

“You think not eating will be a slap in my wrist? Punishing me like a little child? I’ve spent weeks without more than a piece of bread to eat, so hunger is not unknown to me. Enjoy your meal”

Then the petite nurse abandoned the room before anyone else could even blink. Jimin, the maid, made a move to follow him.

“Where are you going Jimminie?” asked Luhan good-naturedly, still amused with the episode that had just occurred.

“I am going to arrange some soup for Sir Baekhyun.” replied the short maid-

“I told you, he isn’t allowed any food today!” stated Sehun firmly looking at the maid, who wasn’t scared by his penetrating gaze.

“Allow to disagree. Master Sehun actually told that Sir Baekhyun wasn’t allowed to eat any food, therefore he can drink it. Also he needs food so that he can take his medicine.”

At the smart answer the maid give before rushing out of the room, Luhan couldn’t contain his laughter. Not even stopping when he felt Sehun angry look on him.

“I am sorry that I am laughing Sehun but really, you called him a lamb, but I really think you couldn’t have missed the mark by farther; Byun Baekhyun is anything but a lamb. Even if he was, he is, by far, the smartest and probably the best lamb I have seen in my own life. I am sorry but he just outsmarted you and, to tell the truth it was well deserved, but that is something that we’ll talk about later.”

Sehun said nothing to his brother; instead he stood up aggressively and stalked out of the room. He went to the kitchen, ready to tear Baekhyun into pieces, but when he good there, he sight he got was unexpected: Chanyeol was timidly trying to feed Baekhyun pieces of his meal while the older male refused it, stating that Chanyeol needed the food more than he did, shooting a beaming smile to the taller, who replied with a hesitant smile. Jimin presented Baekhyun a bowl of soup and the other tried to reach it with a hand, keeping his injured one to his chest. Jimin noticed and took a look at it.

“Baekhyun, your hand is all swollen again. You really ought to be more careful.” she scolded gently retrieving the pills she had taken from Jinki.

“It’s okay. It only hurts a little.” replied the shorter softly.

Jimin shot him a knowing look before she claimed she was going to the basement to pick something, telling Chanyeol to take care of Baekhyun, before leaving through a door at the very end of the kitchen.

Chanyeol looked at the tiny male before his hands made a series of complicated hand gestures, sign language as Sehun could tell, to which Baekhyun responded in kind. They must have been discussing something because the expression on Baekhyun’s face keep changing until the petite male huffed a small ‘fine’ much to Chanyeol’s pleasure.

Sehun watched as the tall male completely disregarded his own food in order to pick a spoon and feeding Baekhyun who had a small blush on his cheeks. He clenched his fists and returned back to the dining-room, his will to scold the nurse gone. After watching that scene he just couldn’t; not when it was the first time he saw Chanyeol smiling after so long.



A/N: Another chappie! What do you think of it? Tell me, I wanna know! I really do. And please, don't be shy, I love replying to you and chatting with you all! You are AWESOME! Comment ans subscribe and vote!
More trivial matters, I returned to work today (I whould be sleeping too! I'm going to be so incoherent tomorrow, just watch >.< ) and the boss immediately passed me all the hated work around there, which means, crafts stuff...thank god tomorrow I'll be doing something I like better! 

Love to you all, have an amazing day and BE HAPPY!