Explosive Surprises

Big Bad Wolf

There wasn’t a cloud in the sky today and, despite the cold air, typical of winter months, the day was sunny but, for some reason, Sehun felt a twinge of discomfort in the pit of his stomach; he couldn’t pinpoint the reason, the wasn’t one that he’d known of.

He looked at the stack of papers that Kyungsoo had bring him that morning; all of them held some kind of project, proposed by the different departments at his company, for him to give a look and pick some of the best projects for meeting later on. He had a lot to do and a lot to read; he had been procrastinating for long enough and Kyungsoo would probably have his head if he didn’t start working.

Although work was his priority, Sehun couldn’t help but wonder if his brother’s conversation with nurse Byun was going alright; Luhan had told him that he would try to persuade Kris’ brother to think about Sehun’s proposal, so that the male nurse, in turn, could convince Kris to join him. The Oh heir was hell bent on having Kris on his team and what he wanted, he had, no questions asked. He felt a little smirk rising to his lips as he thought about it; to him, all the conversations he had have over the course of the week had merely been formal protocol since, one way or another, Kris would have to come to his side, even if, to achieve it, Sehun would have to use force.

He tried to focus on work once more, forgetting about the impeding business that he his brother was taking care of. However, he didn’t manage to concentrate much since his office door opened suddenly and Junmyeon walked inside the room, looking flustered, his short dark hair a complete mess, suggesting that the older man had been in a hurry to get to him, for whatever reason he head. Behind Junmyeon, Sehun could see Kyungsoo’s diminutive form looking at Junmyeon’s back with a dangerous glint in his eyes, to which Sehun had no doubt that it was due to the fact that the man had just entered his office without passing through him.

“What do I owe the pleasure Junmyeon? Especially at this hour and without knocking first? Not very typical of you!” greeted Sehun, voice calm and collected, resting his chin on top of his laced hands.

“Do you know where Luhan is?” asked Junmyeon, his voice coming raspy and abnormally harsh.

“Why do you ask?”

“Dammit Sehun, answer the question!” cursed Junmyeon, completely exasperated.

Sehun’s eyebrows lifted up high into his forehead while Kyungsoo let a little expletive at Junmyeon’s choice of words; Junmyeon was, first and foremost, a gentleman, always with proper manners and poise to each word he uttered or action he made so, naturally, hearing the well-mannered man talking in the way he did made alarm bells sound in Sehun’s mind.

“He went to Seoul National University Hospital to talk with an acquaintance of ours who we have pending business with.” answered Sehun slowly.

“Call him. Call him now!” interjected Junmyeon looking the epitome of anguish.

“Seriously Junmyeon, just spit it out!” cut Kyungsoo from the door, looking frustrated and worried at the other male’s lack of coherence. “What’s going on because you are not making much sense right now!”

“The Hospital was blown up! The news said someone put explosives on the ER area and it just blew up!” stuttered the older male. “It was an absolute massacre Sehun! The reporters at the place are talking about a high number of deaths.

Sehun felt his blood run cold. His eyes were open but he couldn’t see a thing as dark spots appeared on his vision and there was a loud white noise playing inside of his mind. He couldn’t move and he felt his breaths coming in faster motions, suffocating him and not letting oxygen reach his lungs properly.

“…un…hun…Sehun!” he heard his name being called but only fully registered when a pair of hands grabbed him by his shoulder and shook them forcefully, successfully bringing him out of his semi catatonic state.

Kyungsoo’s wide eyes were staring at him, clearly concerned, while Junmyeon just stood paralyzed by the door, staring at him in shock. Sehun supposed it was a valid reaction, Junmyeon had known Sehun since his late teens and they both had a good relationship, in every sense of the word, but he had never seen Sehun lose him composure in such a way before. In his defense, never once in his life had Sehun worried about Luhan’s life like this.

“Sehun snap out of it!” yelled Kyungsoo making the taller man finally look at him with some clarity in his eyes, rather than the unfocused stare he had been receiving previously. “Call Luhan, see if he answers the phone.” ordered the shorter man, taking control of the situation.

Sehun, mechanically, picked up his phone and dialed his brother’s number, eyes darkening when it failed to make a connection, a cold feeling seeping into his body, leaving it almost numb.

Kyungsoo must have understood what had just happened. He thought briefly about what to do and then ran outside to the company’s phone, calling Minseok and Tao to come and pick Sehun and take him to the hospital.

“I can take him.” stated Junmyeon weakly, approaching Sehun and laying a comforting hand on Sehun’s shoulder.

Kyungsoo snorted loudly at the other man’s words; he had been born on a family who struggled to reach the end at the month with enough money to feed all four of them, he had to work his entire life and study hard to finally get what he had now. He had very little to no patience with prissy little idiots like Junmyeon who, despite living the life that he did, couldn’t react when something like this happened. Yes, Junmyeon was smart and eloquent and polite and all of that, but seriously the man was the worst when dealing with other’s problems.

“No. You’ll stay here and do Sehun’s job. I’ll help you; we can’t afford to not have someone with some leadership skills around. Sehun is going to the hospital and see what news they have for him, I am hoping for the best since it’s Luhan we are talking about, who is smarter than smart. Then we’ll see.”

When Minseok and Tao arrive, scarce minutes after the phone call, since they were never too far away from Sehun, the bodyguards lead their boss through the company corridors, shielding him from the curious eyes of the workers, with the help of a few well delivered insults and threats on Kyungsoo’s part and into the car that usually transported Sehun around.

Kyungsoo watched them drive until the car was no longer visible and returned to his own desk, outside Sehun’s office where Junmyeon stood, looking into the window with worried eyes.

“I’ve never seen him like this.” whispered the man.

“Naturally; Luhan was always protected and this time, he simply was not.”

“What if he…”

“Don’t say it!” Kyungsoo cut the man with a sharp glare. “Don’t even ponder about Luhan being dead. Get to work. Analyze the projects on the table and choose the ones you think will be rentable and innovative enough.”

The smaller man left the office, closing the door a little more forcefully than usual. He let a heavy breath pass his lips; contrary to people’s belief, Kyungsoo cared about Sehun and Luhan. The brothers had offered him a chance, despite his humble origins and had been nothing but a family to him, contrary to his own family. Not knowing what had happened to Luhan had him scared and anxious but, at the moment, there was nothing more he could do, so he decided to do what he did best, he worked. If he prayed hard for things to be okay while he work nobody had to know.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

As soon as Sehun got to the hospital, he exited the car and promptly made his way through the panicked masses and paramedics, standing tall and proud, since it was the behavior everyone expected from him, trying to locate some authority figure who could give him information about his brother’s whereabouts.

He seemed to figure who was the responsible since said person was currently being harassed by a completely hysterical Kris. The tall blond wasn’t hard to find in the crowd and his loud, angry voice, wasn’t easily ignored either.

“I don’t give a damn about what you think.” he heard the man yelling. “Those lists need to be outed now. There are people here that need to know what happened to their family members and friends.”

“Sir, I am very aware of that fact but you need to calm down. The lists are going to be posted in a few minutes.”

“You have to put them out now…”

Sehun could see that Kris was growing angrier with each passing second and the chances of him doing something really stupid were rising with each rapid breathe the other gave. He grabbed Kris by the arm and pulled him back, earning him a smile from the woman Kris was yelling to, even if he didn’t pay much attention to it.

“Calm yourself down Kris.” he ordered.

Kris looked at him and at the two men behind Sehun’s back, watching the whole ordeal with blank faces, disbelief painting his face.

“What the hell are you doing here? If you’re here to discuss something with me, I suggest you turn to whatever you come from before I punch you in the face, bodyguards or no bodyguards.”

“Luhan came see your brother. I don’t know if he was caught in the explosion.” clarified Sehun, features saying absolutely nothing about how he felt about it.

Kris felt a little bad for yelling at the other; despite everything, he knew that Luhan was very important to Sehun, being the only family member that he had left. He had known the man for years and even if his face showed nothing, Kris could see the some lines on his forehead and near his eyes that screamed worriedness and his lips were pursued in a tight white line. Also, he could relate.

“I’m sorry.” he apologized.

He saw Sehun nod, even though the man wasn’t really looking at him, choosing to stare blankly ahead. He breathed in slowly, trying to calm himself and gather his thoughts, silently telling himself that Baekhyun was okay but watching the scene in front of him gave him doubts: there were firemen trying to put out the flames that burned the building, people bleeding being treated by paramedics and doctors, ambulances coming and going out of sight, transporting patients to hospitals nearby and he won’t even mention the sight of charred bodies that were being covered by people.

When the lists were finally put on a makeshift wall for the occasion, Kris nearly barreled everyone to reach there first, Sehun closely behind. He read the paper, the big deceased written on it, praying to not find his brother’s name in there. He scanned it twice very thoroughly before signing in relief. Kris saw Sehun do the same in a more composed way that he did, before the younger man directed himself at another woman nearby.

“Excuse, I need information. I am searching for someone who might have been in the accident but I can’t seem to find his name anywhere.” he said with a charming tone and a little shy smile.

Behind him, Kris could hear Tao snort at Sehun’s approach; they knew very well that Sehun was trying to use his image to get answers. It seemed to work because the young woman blushed and stutter before asking him the name of the person he was looking for.

“Oh Luhan, he’s my brother.” after a few thoughts Sehun added “And could you please check on Byun Baekhyun? He was a nurse in this hospital and a family friend.”

“Oh Luhan and Byun Baekhyun were taken to International St. Mary’s Hospital.” answered the woman searching for a while in some papers scattered on a table. “They were actually some of the first patients to go there; they were outside the hospital when the explosion occurred. Although I am not sure how their status are.”

Sehun thanked the woman politely before turning on his heel and grabbing Kris by the wrist, dragging him towards the direction of his car, Minseok and Tao behind them.

“Let’s go, they are at St. Mary’s.”

Throughout their journey to the hospital, in which Kris completely disregarded the fact that he had a car but was carpooling with Sehun, he could practically choke on the relief that was sprayed through the air. Everyone was so relieved about the news and it was so palpable that Kris didn’t dare to spoil it all by saying that the fact that their brothers weren’t dead, didn’t exactly mean that they were out of danger. If he was true to himself, he didn’t want to think about it either, otherwise he would go insane.

Tao, who was driving, let everyone get out at the ER’s entrance, while he went to park the car. Kris walked to the main desk, not caring if the others were behind him.

“I was told that my brother was transported here. He was one of the victims of the explosion at the other hospital.”

“Name please?” asked the old man behind the desk, clearly expecting the question and, thankfully, not wasting time with more questions than necessary.

“Byun Baekhyun.”

“Mr. Byun,” informed the man looking at his computer “was placed on the third floor, room 307.”

“My brother was also brought here.” cut Sehun smoothly “His name is Oh Luhan.”

“Mr. Oh is in the same room as Mr. Byun.”

That’s all they needed to know; they didn’t even thank the man before marching their way to the third floor, looking for their brothers. When they got inside the room, the sight that they were greeted with was completely different to what they were expected.

“Luhan!” called Sehun seeing his brother seated in a chair on the corner of the room.

“Sehun.”

The blonde male stood up and walked towards his brother who promptly pulled him into a hug, relief almost making him drowsy at the sight of his brother.

“How are you? Are you hurt?” he asked in a whisper.

“I am absolutely fine Sehun, if you exclude the cut I managed to get on my forehead.”

Sehun took a good look at the male and, it was true, sans for the bandage he had on his forehead, Luhan looked completely unharmed.

 “I was quite a few meters away from the hospital’s entrance when it exploded. Other than falling to the ground and probably having some bruises, I am fine. The doctors did a couple of exams to make sure I hadn’t any head trauma or breathing issues. I am fine.” reassured the blonde male. “Baekhyun is a little worse but he’s okay too.” added the male pointing with his chin toward the bed on the room.

“Then why is he unconscious?” barked Kris from the side of the bed, hand resting on his brother’s blond locks, gently caressing them, while looking at the petite male serene face.

“He isn’t unconscious, he fell asleep. When the explosion when off, he was knocked to the ground. He twisted his wrist and his knee. I think he also has skid marks from the pavement on his stomach. So the doctors gave him painkillers.” Luhan approached Kris and gently pat his shoulder. “He is okay. It looks worse than it actually is.”

“Thank god!” muttered Kris before sinking down on his knees; one hand covering his face and the other grabbing Baekhyun’s hand, holding it on his. “Who the hell would do this?”

“I don’t know who was behind this but this was a premeditated attack, deliberately at that particular hospital. I saw some men standing on a corner looking at the hospital and they drove away minutes after it blow off.” interrupted Luhan. “I don’t want to scare you Kris but, think about it, first men try to harm Baekhyun then explosives are put inside his workplace. I don’t’ think this is a coincidence I think someone is trying to finish him.”

“What are you saying Luhan?” asked Sehun, even if both males were looking at him.

“Think about out, this is the second time Baekhyun was at the wrong place at the wrong time. The first one you can claim it was plain coincidence, people are robbed all the time; however, it didn’t even pass a week and the hospital where he works explodes. I don’t think it’s a coincidence anymore. I really think Baekhyun might be in danger.”

“What were you doing with my brother in the first place?” asked Kris.

“Having a conversation with him exactly about this sort of things Kris!” replied Luhan with an annoyed tone of voice. “I know that you think that Sehun and I are evil masterminds but I do really care about that that kid! He is a sweet, innocent kid who has been caught on the worst time of war that exists out there and will always exist: mob wars. You really think you can outrun your mother for much longer? I don’t; in fact, I think she’s onto you and it’s a matter of time before she’ll move and nobody’s there to prevent that move. Checkmate, she wins. And you’re too stubborn to accept help when you clearly need it.”

Both Sehun and Kris seemed surprised at Luhan’s outburst; usually the blond man was very controlled, very elegant and playful, seeing him this angry was unusual and even Sehun was finding hard to believe that his brother was acting this way.

“Why do you care?” spat Kris.

“Because I see myself in him!” yelled Luhan before his eyes widened slightly.

The silence in the room was poignant, only disturbed by Baekhyun’s soft breathing and occasional whimper. Luhan looked flustered and anxious so, graciously, he excused himself for a while, taking Tao with him, claiming he needed some air to clear him mind.

“He’s right you know?” Kris looked at Sehun trying to understand what the other was referring himself to. “Luhan is right. I’ve told you time and time again that I can help you keep both of you safe and yet, you chose to not accept my proposal. One day, your mother is going to murder you brother, cold bloodedly and you’ll regret not listening to us.”

“I know that you want me to work for you. I am not stupid; your deal has a price. However, Baekhyun doesn’t want me to go back to that life.”

“Understandable and very…sweet, of your brother. Nevertheless, he doesn’t know how this world works; he has the very unrealistic perspective that you’ll be fine by keeping yourselves on the run but you and I both know that people like us, when they have a goal to achieve, they don’t stop until they reach it. So stop listening to your brother for once, at least on this matter, and do what keeps him safe for once. Accept the dammed offer and protect your brother!” stated Sehun seriously, focusing his stare on Kris.

When Kris failed to utter an answer, Sehun sighed; he really couldn’t believe how stupid the older man was being. Was he really going to bypass protection just because his brother was a visionary? He threw Kris a judging stare, making the other look away.

“For a man like you who says he’ll walk through hell to protect his brother to be this reckless… it’s saddens me. It really does. You clearly are not the man I thought you were. I won’t bother you any more with this and I wish you and your brother the best.”

He shook his head at Kris once before nodding at Minseok, it was time to go home and take care of his brother, who, no doubt, was going to demand a little bit of pampering after such an episode.

Sehun was inches away from the door when Kris’ voice stopped him.

“Wait!” Sehun stopped on his tracks but didn’t turn around. “I accept you proposal. I’ll work for you if you swear to protect my brother.”

For a brief moment, Kris thought that it was too late, that the offer was off the table and he and Baekhyun were alone and unprotected again.

“I’ll send someone to pick you and your brother as soon as he gets discharged. You’ll be living on my estate from now on.” stated Sehun before leaving the room quietly.

Inside the room, Kris sighed and begged to whoever listened to him that his brother could find will to forgive him for what he just did, even if it was for his own protection.

Outside, Sehun had a little smile tugging at the corner of his lips; this little accident turned out to be a good surprise since he had got what he wanted since the beginning: Kris had just accepted his offer.

 

 

 

 

A/N: HELLOOOOOO! I am back! Did you guys missed me? I sure as hell missed you all... and internet! I missed internet! But unfortunately where I was there wasn't a of it, just endless amount of beaches where I worked myself a tan! As I promised, here is the new chappie. I had it written before I left just so that I could update the story as soon as I got back. I just unpacked and checked my mails and here I am! I hope that you liked the chapter, let me know all your thoughts about it. Comments, upvotes and subscriptions are appreaciated, as always! 

LOVE YOU ALL, BE (and stay) HAPPY! <3