To Accept Or To Decline

Big Bad Wolf

In the end, it had been Luhan the one to talk to Kris. After Baekhyun had woke up, Kris had spent a great amount of time just cuddling to the younger male, who understood the older’s need to be reassured and let himself be cuddled and hugged away, remaining docile and pliable, despite not liking to be smothered that much. Either way, it wasn’t like he could run away, Yixing had bandaged his knee and order him to stay out of his feet until it wasn’t so swollen anymore.

When the tall Chinese man was well enough reassured that his brother was okay and not any less stable than he was; his brother was strong but Kris knew that sometimes even the strongest of them all breaks, he finally let his brother be in the capable hands of Chanyeol, that Kris noted to have a great adoration towards the tinier male, and went to look for Sehun. The key word was look for, because Kris wasn’t interested in talking to the auburn haired man at all; in fact, as soon as he found the man, talking with Junmyeon and Kyungsoo, Luhan a few meters behind him, Kris punched him once in the mouth, with enough force to have Sehun to almost fall back with a pained grunt. Kris had a good punch, thought Sehun reluctantly while he wiped away the blood that had started to trickle from the bust lip that Sehun know supported.

Junmyeon had almost burst a vessel when that happened, immediately losing all of his prim and proper behavior, yelling at Kris and pushing the bigger man away from Sehun; Kyungsoo looked at the episode with a slightly surprised air and Luhan remain quiet and serene, only moving forward to help Sehun straighten up.

“What was that for?” screamed Junmyeon angrily. “You hurt Sehun!”

“And I would hurt him much more if I didn’t consider him a friend of sorts.” growled Kris, eyes still on Sehun’s figure.

“Why is that, pray tell?” asked Luhan merrily, ignoring the glare his brother sent him at the joyful tone.

“He promised me he would keep my brother safe; HE PROMISED! And what does he do? He leaves the house unprotected, not a single person in here who is capable than defending a person if something happens, and my brother gets hurt, exactly when he was just getting better.”

“While I admit” began Sehun calmly “that it was a mistake to leave your brother and my house unprotected, we have to agree that the fact that your mother attacked me was rather unexpected. Also, you brother could have hide himself like the rest of the people would and, in this particular case, they did.”

“But the difference between them and my brother is the fact that my brother is a man who thinks with his heart rather than his head, of course he is going to do something stupid! You have lived with him for nearly two weeks and a half; you certainly know how reckless he can be! He isn’t used to this kind of life Sehun, my father and I made sure of that.”

“Maybe it is the time for him to be introduced to this life.” retorted Luhan receiving incredulous looks from every single person inside that room.

“What the hell Luhan?” inquired Kris.

“Not in the sense that he would an active part like you, stop looking at me like that. I am merely saying that maybe it would be beneficial for Baekhyun to learn how we work, how other groups work and to defend himself. To put it frankly, Baekhyun had an enormous target on his back at the moment, especially because we all know that Jia isn’t going to stop until she gets what she wants, which means she most likely will seek help, so why not prepare Baekhyun for that? Why not prepare him for the danger that is about to come and evolve? Why keep him in the dark? Keeping him in the dark is exactly the same thing as send him to a slaughter house in my opinion. With knowledge comes the options, so let him have his.”

Luhan knew he had made an impact with his careful words as the silence came upon them once he finished talking. Sehun was gazing him with a thin layer of interest on his dark eyes.

“What do you mean Luhan?” asked Kyungsoo, interested in his opinion.

“All that I am trying to convey is that if he does need protection, which he does, I am not denying that, why not trying to teach him to protect himself at least? When all else fails, maybe he’ll stand a chance. He is smart and he has the attitude for it, so why not? We are treating him like an oppressed and weak person when I think he is none of that.”

“It is a very valid point. I think that Luhan is right.” commented Kyungsoo, eyes locking with Kris, silently asking him his opinion.

“He knows hapkido.”

“It isn’t enough.”

“I don’t know, the thought of teaching him to use a gun is unsettling.”

“Then you have no right to be angry at others. Teach him to protect himself first and then let others protect him. If you are willing to teach Baekhyun to survive, I’ll share with you an idea that I had, regarding your brother’s safety.”

“Which is?”

“So, you are willing to think about the prospect of having your brother learning self-defense?”

“I will ponder over the subject. I know that he does need it, I just don’t like the idea of having my baby brother doing so.”

Luhan sent him a searching look, trying to detect any hint of a lie that he could. He must have found what he was searching for in Kris’ face, when he suddenly nodded; whatever he was looking for, he found it in Kris’ eyes.

“I think it would beneficial for your brother that people found out he is being protected by Sehun. If we think about it, Sehun is, at the moment, in relatively good terms with most big associations out there and, the ones that he isn’t, he can easily subdue, mainly because they are rich kids who now have money thanks to their parents trying to be with power. The only person, for now, that presents a threat is your mother. Therefore, if she tried and get some allies, they’ll know who they are messing with and, hopefully, they’ll think twice.”

“I don’t see how that can be a good idea, Luhan.” commented Kyungsoo “It can backfire and you leaving him more unprotected, which is not what we intended.”

“Not the way I was thinking about.”

“Which is?”

“Announcing him to the world as Sehun’s fiancé.”

The silence that invaded the room was deafening and Sehun couldn’t tell if they were just shocked or anything else.

“What?” asked Junmyeon outraged “That is a blasphemy! Are you aware of what you are saying Luhan?”

“Why not Junmyeon?” asked Sehun, a blank expression on his face.

“Because you come from a high class family, power influential, and know you are trying to announce the world that you are engaged to someone as Baekhyun? He is the bastard son of a broken family.”

It had taken Luhan and Sehun to stop Kris from murdering Junmyeon. The taller man looked completely possessed at the words uttered by other man.

“Bastard? He has a father and a mother. He was given a good education and he has values. Also, he would never make such a retard comment about anyone like you just did because he knows that people aren’t catalogued by what they own and don’t own, you arrogant little pr---“

“Okay, let’s calm down!” pleaded Kyungsoo with a strong voice. “Junmeyon, leave the room for a while. I can’t think with you in here being a screeching monkey.”

Junmyeon was reluctant to go, more so because he had to obey Kyungsoo but the look Sehun was giving was a clear indication for him to do as told so, he did leave the room, breaking a vase on his way to the door, purely out of spite.

Luhan shook his head at Junmyeon’s actions. Ever since his and Sehun’s father had died, Junmyeon had acted like a mentor and an older brother towards the auburn haired man which made him really possessive of Sehun, sometimes to the point where jealousy could cloud his mind and his thoughts, like it had just happened. Luhan, himself, didn’t quite like Junmyeon; he tolerated the man, because Sehun clearly liked the man enough, but Junmyeon always had looked upon him and his ideas, talking to him condescendingly and patronizingly, as if he was much superior to him.

“You were saying?” prodded Kyungsoo gently, bringing his attention back to where it mattered.

“I was saying that presenting Baekhyun as Sehun’s fiancé may be a good card to play, since he will, most likely win the hearts of people with his charming, innocent persona that he, in fact, is. He would be Korea’s sweetheart and anyone who touched a single hair of his would fall under the wrath of the masses.”

“That is true.” hummed Kyungsoo “And he does have an air about him that is loveable yet intriguing. I do think the masses could fall in love with him quickly and that would, as you said, give him an extra amount of protection. Much like a reality show.”

“Exactly the point I want to make.”

“Was this your idea?” asked Kris suspiciously.

“Of course.” lied Luhan, completely omitting the fact that it had been Sehun, the one to develop such a plan.

“It’s not a bad idea” started Kris and Luhan knew that the other’s mind, more used to the kind of lives they had, agreed with his point of view. “but convincing Baekhyun to do that? He’s an idealist, he won’t agree to it. He’ll marry someone who he is in love with, not just someone for convenience and, no offense, but definitely not Sehun.”

“None taken.” replied the said man placidly, with a little smile dancing on his lips at the mention of the friction that exist between him and Baekhyun.

“Well, you could just explain the situation to him.” advised Kyungsoo “He’s hard headed but he is smart, he will certainly understand that it would be better for him and for all of us, in general. We don’t want a repeat of what happened and he wouldn’t want it either.”

“Then you go and talk to him! I really think you are underestimating my brother’s ability to be stubborn. He chewed me off the last time I agreed with a plan made by the Oh brothers so, this time, you go and talk to him, explain the situation and whatever he decides is good to me.” replied Kris with a shrug of his shoulders before his phone rang and he excused himself to answer it.

Sehun looked at his brother and at Kyungsoo, eyes conveying a message that both men decoded easily.

“Leave it to us Sehun, we will convince Baekhyun to accept the proposal and be a part of our plan.” stated Kyungsoo.

“You have nothing to worry about.” agreed Luhan.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“No!”

That was the first word that came out of Baekhyun’s mouth when Luhan, armed with Kyungsoo, when they explained the proposition to the nurse, who was currently lying in his bed, resting his knee, with Chanyeol curled up next to him watching the scene before him with sleepy, yet sharp eyes, as Baekhyun played with his hair, scratching his scalp from time to time, with those wonderful hands of his.

“You didn’t really ponder our words yet Baekhyun.”

“Do I even need to?”

“It is safer for you and to everybody else, especially recalling the last occurrences.” replied Luhan casually; making reference to the episode Baekhyun would like to forget, but not casually enough for smaller male to stop noticing the implied meaning of the careful words.

“If you think that is going to make me feel remorseful enough into accepting you are sorely mistaken.” stated the small nurse calmly, ignoring the brief look of something that flashed into Luhan’s eyes.

“People got hurt because someone was after you…”

“True but I was under the impression that if I came here I would be protected, at least that was the promise made therefore I am not to blame for that.” rebutted the smaller firmly, to which Luhan had to nod in agreement, accepting defeat.

“Look” started Baekhyun “I understand the purpose and more than that I do think it is a perfectly valid reason but I don’t want to do it.”

“And why is that?” asked Kyungsoo softly, understanding that it was not something easy to ask to someone.

“Because it would fall apart before it even started. I am an idealist and romantic, I want to find someone for myself, share good moments with them, getting engaged, get married and share a life with them but I have to do it with someone that I love. I don’t love Sehun nor do I feel that comfortable with him. If I was ever going to try this, it would fail because I at faking feelings. It would show and then everything will explode in violent fires because I am dramatic like that.”

“That is it? You are afraid that it may not be believable.”

“And the fact that we don’t get along. At all. All of our conversations are endless rounds of sarcasm and irony, so yes, I doubt that it would went remotely well. Why couldn’t be you Luhan? I am comfortable with you?”

“I would but I can’t. I wouldn’t be able to offer the same kind of protection as Sehun does. Even though I might be considered his brother, we do not share the same blood. I am influential but he is more. He can offer you what I cannot.”

“I am very sorry then but I just can’t. It wouldn’t serve any purpose if it is not believable and I refuse to do with someone that I can’t see myself romantically involved with.”

“All in all, you are saying no because you think it will not work?” asked Luhan.

“All in all, I am saying no because it won’t work.” confirmed Baekhyun “Let’s face it, we don’t like each other, there is no way that we are going to be able to pull this off.”

Kyungsoo opened his mouth to try and convince the other put Luhan spoke before him.

“I will ask you to thank about your decision more carefully but, in the end, if you decide not to go with it, we, Kyungsoo and I, shall respect your decision.”

He nodded at the smaller man before pulling Kyungsoo out of the room.

“Are you really going to quit insisting?” asked Kyungsoo in disbelief.

“We are. After all, we did say that we would respect his decisions but, as we all know, Sehun isn’t going to.” replied the older man with a little smirk on the corner of his lip that was easily copied by Kyungsoo.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Inside the room, Chanyeol turned slightly to Baekhyun, who was still carding his fingers through his hair, asking if the other was sure that he wasn’t accepting the proposition.

“I am sure Chanyeol. Sehun and I are not a match made in heaven. I know that it is a fake relationship, which already puts me off slightly since I feel like a liar, then we have the whole factor that it has to be convincing enough and I just can’t. I am not saying that Sehun is a bad man but we just can’t seem to get along.”

“But if he was your fiancé no one would touch you; they all are very afraid of Sehun to do so.” reasoned Chanyeol.

“It wouldn’t be fair to him being tied publicly to someone like me, when someone who he actually loves might be right around the corner for him, much less for my protection. Besides, we would kill each other just by standing in the same room, never mind acting like a couple. We can’t pull it off.” replied the smaller with a chuckle.

“I think” began Chanyeol softly “that you are trying very hard to come up with an excuse not to do this. And I am not sure why. Sehun is not the most amicable man around, that is set in stone but he is trying to keep you safe. So, Baek, what is troubling you?”

Baekhyun looked a little bit flustered at being confronted like that by Chanyeol, even if the taller had done it with tact. Hesitantly, he looked at Chanyeol before telling him what he had on his mind.

“I am twenty six years old and I have never fallen in love, did you know that? I did have boyfriends and I did like them but it’s hard to fall in love with someone when I spend my all life running away. I have always envisioned myself meeting a guy, someone who made my blood sing in all the best ways possible. I wanted to fall in love and to be loved in return. We would both get married and build a life and I would be happy. We would be happy. But I can’t have that, can I? I am condemned and condemned others to live like this…It’s not like it isn’t honorable, even if I can’t exactly call it that. I… it’s just…”

Baekhyun couldn’t finish his sentence but he didn’t need it, Chanyeol understood perfectly what the other was trying to say; after all he could read people very well.

“It’s okay.” He muttered softly, hugging the older towards him “You’ll get your perfect romance. It will happen you just have to be patient and bear with this for a little longer. Someday it will all stop and you’ll be able to get your fairy tale like romance.”

“You think?” asked Baekhyun softly, words mumbled against the taller’s sweater.

“I do. But you do have to take into consideration Sehun’s proposal. It’s not an ideal position to be in but it will manage to keep you alive.”

“Hmmm…”

“I am not saying that you have to accept it but, at least, consider it, okay?”

“Okay.”

“Now, rest for a bit. I’ll be here when you wake up.”

“Okay.” repeated the smaller; closing is eyes and falling, after several minutes, into a peaceful slumber.

“Everything’s going to be okay.” mumbled Chanyeol to himself, eyes fixed on the smaller man sleeping in his arms.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Sehun sat on his office at his company; he had been called to an emergency by one of his employees after the talk with Kyungsoo and Luhan. It wasn’t as if he wanted it but work was work and it had to be done.

He sat pensively on his chair, just thinking about the conversation he just had on the phone with Luhan. His brother had just informed him that he had a talk with Baekhyun and he shortly explained him the reasons Baekhyun had brought up as why it would never work.

In a way, it had bothered him to no end to know that small nurse hadn’t an ounce of trust in him or his plans; he wasn’t used not to be able to persuade someone into agreeing with him, also, in a more personal matter, he was kind of put off about the fact that Baekhyun didn’t fall at his feet like most people did. Being who he was, Sehun was used to have all sorts of people throwing himself at him, whether for the fortune, whether for the popularity or even power but Baekhyun never cared about that, of all things, the boy just wanted a book worthy romance and it seemed that Sehun wasn’t even a candidate for that. It was a blown to his ego; he wasn’t even trying to deny it.

There was something about the smaller male that drew people to him; he was magnetic, charming and very much unpredictable. Sehun was as interested as he wanted to strangle him.

On the other end, when he thought about it, it was quite sad the life the other had lived so far: running away, constantly in fear of not being able to see the next day. If Baekhyun had been brought into such a life, like he did, it would be easier but he didn’t and Sehun felt his knuckled turn white at the thought of a small Baekhyun being robbed of a normal childhood.

However, as much as the male had suffered, because he had, he was determined to move forward and not quitting. He kept on resisting every single one of Sehun’s plans to help him if he didn’t agree with them and he was more than brave when it came to people whom he liked, hence what happened when the hitman sent by Jia broke into his house.

Right then, at the moment, Sehun stood up and left the building ignoring his employees, who called his name, and got himself into the car, where Minseok was expecting him.

“Take me home.” he ordered the other man, receiving a small nod. “I have business to take care of there.”

He was going to prove Baekhyun that this plan was flawless and that they could pull it off. Yes, he was going to do just that.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was eating a yogurt at the kitchen table, alone, when Sehun burst into the kitchen, looking wild; an angry aura around him that made Baekhyun shiver slightly, spoon pausing on his way to his mouth, sitting on his wheelchair, Yixing’s orders, blanket thrown over his lap, protecting him from the cold Autumn air.

“Where is Chanyeol?” he growled, coming closer and untying the knot of his tie.

“Upstairs…”

“Good!”

And without any further delays he grabbed the younger boy’s face and attacked the other’s lips with his own, much to Baekhyun’s shock, making him drop the spoon. He devoured the other’s mouth, tongue perfectly content in exploring the unique, sweet and spicy taste of Baekhyun, mind kindly supplying him that it was an exciting taste and that he was quite liking it.

After a few seconds, he pulled away looking into Baekhyun’s dazed eyes, red lips and flushed cheeks.

“As you can see, there is no need of us to be friends to be able to have a spark and pretend to be committed to each other. Despite the fact that I absolutely hate your smart mouth I am trying to help you here and this is the best plan we have at the moment, so stop being so hard headed and accept help when presented.” He stated calmly looking into the other’s eyes “We will do this and will keep you safe from her you understand?”

He let go of Baekhyun’s face and was prepared to pull away from the small man when a delicate hand yanked his hair forward, pulling his face into Baekhyun’s again.

“Listen here you arrogant bastard.” started Baekhyun, eyes glinting passionately “I don’t know what possessed you to do something like that but I’ll let you know that, after some talks, I was convinced to accept your proposal, even though I am positive that is going to end up badly. I will be your goddamn fake fiancé and I will do it with an equally fake smile on my face. Also, the next time you try to do something like this without justifiable motive I will make you swallow your teeth, being Oh Sehun or not. Understood?”

And without adding anything further, he calmly wheeled himself out of the kitchen, taking his yogurt with him, as if nothing had happened.

Sehun smirked to himself; Byun Baekhyun kept proving how much of and interesting person he could be and he could help chuckling to himself imagining how their lives would be after the announcement of their engagement.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Tchanaaaaan! Here it is, one more chapter! Did you expect any of this? What will you think that'll happen? Tell me all, don't be shy! Comment, upvote and subscribe! Show me the love ;)
Also, I would like to thank the amazing and dear friend Lisa Li, who drew the best picture EVER, of Sehun to this story! You are a fantastic artist and I can't thank you enough for the beautiful drawing you gave me!!! <3 Check her other work at http://lisaredli.tumblr.com/
To all of you, have a magnificent day, love, be love and stay happy! ALWAYS! <3