A Brother's Influence

Big Bad Wolf

Warmth; that was all that Baekhyun felt even before waking up; that comfortable feeling which made his body heavy and pliant at the same time. He let his eyes open a tiny fraction, sleep still clogging his mind, and marveled slightly at how the sun rays managed to pass through the thick and heavy curtains in the room, the dust particles dancing in the sunbeams like leaves on the wind. He also felt a dull throb on the side of his face, even if he couldn’t, for the life of him, remember how that came to be.

He sat up on the big bed, stretching his limbs like a lazy cat, mouth stretched on a yawn, hands finally peeking out from the enormous sweater he was using. Then, he just froze; this wasn’t his room, the sweatshirt wasn’t his or Kris’ for the matter, and he would know since he actually irons their clothes, since Kris couldn’t do it without burning something. Baekhyun remembered the men who were after him, he remembered waking up in a house that not his and Kris coming to get him. He remembered talking to the beautiful male blond named Luhan and nothing else. That was where all the memories suddenly stopped.

The nurse looked around carefully, trying to find his brother somewhere but, aside from his cellphone on the bedside table, Baekhyun had absolutely as to where Kris was. The panic was slowly building inside him, making the comfortable feeling from before vanish completely, demoted by an icy cold sweat that made him shiver.

“Kris?” he called, ears straining, trying to catch the sound of his brother’s voice. When it didn’t come, he called again, louder this time. “Kris?”

He stood up from bed, almost tripping in the too big sweatpants he was wearing, and that once again weren’t his, making his way to the door of the room we was staying in, opening it and venturing outside, slowly, arms tightly pressed against his chest. Baekhyun walked along a corridor, stopping only when he encountered a banister and peeking downstairs, trying to find his brother or, at least, an exit. He carefully climbed down the stairs, his heart beating so fast that he could feel its drumming on his skin.

“Who are you?” asked a voice, very loudly.

Baekhyun almost jumped out of his skin hearing the low pitched voice asking him that question. He turned to his left to see a young male, probably his age, very tall looking at him, dark eyes framed by a pair of thick rimmed black glasses.

“Who are you?” repeated the man, looking at him ready to jump and attack him, even he so much moved.

He raised his eyes defiantly at the man; as Kris taught him, it was one thing to feel afraid when you are alone and it was another thing entirely to be afraid in the presence of others, especially when they could potentially hurt him.

“He is not going to hurt you Byun, you can drop that false bravery that you are holding up to.”

Baekhyun turned quickly on his feet, meeting the hard eyes of Oh Sehun. The auburn haired man was impeccably dressed in a charcoal suit that molded itself into the right places of his toned and lithe body. Baekhyun would be more impressed if he didn’t know the man was rich.

“Don’t you have work to do Chanyeol?” asked Sehun to the tall male, ignoring the little nurse standing in between them, voice flat and blank expression.

The tall man, Chanyeol, nodded his head slightly, eyes focused on Sehun’s face. He shifted his weight from one foot to another briefly before the man opened a door near the staircase, bypassing Sehun and Baekhyun, and disappearing through it without another words.

“Your brother is tearing the upper floor apart looking for you.” began Sehun in his smooth voice. “So, if you please, go to him and calm him down.”

Baekhyun nodded at Sehun, even if the man wasn’t looking at him but at his cellphone, a look of boredom painted on his handsome face, his mind no longer in the state of panic as he learned that his brother was near and well. He let out a relieved sigh, hand coming to his chest, feeling his heart slowing its pace and put a foot on the first step of the stair when Sehun’s voice cut the silence.

“Just so you know Byun, I don’t appreciate guests wandering around in my house, so please, refrain from doing so.” he stated, eyes turning to rest on Baekhyun’s figure.

Sehun only stared at Baekhyun for a few seconds before continuing his journey to the dinning room, where he would expect to see breakfast served. However, he felt a zing of surprise coursing to his body when he heard the other’s soft voice, with a steely edge, behind him.

“If you don’t like unwanted people wandering around, don’t invite them in. It’s as simple as that Oh.”

He looked at the smaller man, anger taking over his features, as he heard the man’s words.

“Who do you think you are talking to?” he asked harsly.

“A human being. That’s all I need to know.” replied Baekhyun, voice as soft as it could be, before he moved his blond locks from his eyes and climbed up the stairs, back disappearing behind a wall.

“He’s got some backbone.”

The auburn aired man closed his eyes when he heard the voice of his brother cutting through the air; as much as he loved Luhan, he knew his brother had fun whenever someone would appear and, as Luhan said it, knocked down Sehun “a few pegs”.

“But, then again, he is Kris’ brother after all.” continued the blond man ignoring the annoyed look Sehun sent his way. “He has got to be more than the soft looking person he appears to be. He’s interesting.”

“Are you saying that because of what you could get out of him yesterday or because you just find him amusing.”

“Both.” confessed Luhan. “Has Kris said anything about your proposal?”

“He didn’t but I don’t expect him to do so, so quickly. As blinded as he is when it comes to his brother, as we all can tell, he is also a man who thinks about the pros and cons of a situation.”

“Hmm...true! But I can guarantee you he will accept; he is so desperate to protect his brother that he will eventually seek us out.” Retorted Luhan, draping himself on Sehun’s back, giving him a hug, despite the other’s exasperated glance. “Especially once he realizes that right now, he is alone in a world full of sharks who want to devour him and Baekhyun, the most dangerous of them is his own mother. He won’t have a choice.”

Luhan sent him a little smirk and Sehun felt himself smirk back. He squeezed the other’s palm gently before removing his brother from his body.

“Go and bother someone else now.”

He watched amusedly his brother wander off before composing himself and entering the dining room, greeting his maids before he sat down. Yes, Kris had really no choice did he? He would say yes no matter what.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“No!”

“Baekhyun…”

“Do not Kris! Do not!” warned the blond male angrily not looking at his brother while opening the door to their apartment, coming home after spending a night and morning at the Oh estate, much to Baekhyun’s chagrin.

“I know very well that the situation is not favorable to us but it is a good proposal. Right now it’s only me and you against my mother, her allies and her enemies and that put us in disadvantage. Maybe, just maybe, with Sehun’s help we could have a little back up and be more protected until we figure another solution.” tried to reason Kris, looking at Baekhyun with slightly desperate eyes, closing the front door behind him softly and watching his brother walking around their living room.

“This is Oh Sehun that we are talking about Kris, not some pseudo thug wannabe, who robs cars and tells everybody so that he can have credibility in higher circles.”

“But he is Oh Sehun and he can provide protection.”

“At what cost? He’s not just some rich CEO, he is a crime lord for god’s sake, you really think that he is not going to ask something in return?” shouted Baekhyun, losing his composure. “He is going to ask something in return, he won’t do this right out of the kindness in his heart. And even if we do find a solution do you really think he will let us go that easily?”

“He is not exactly my friend but I don’t think he would hold any resentment against us if we chose to leave.” replied the taller man calmly, only slightly wincing at the disbelieving look he received in return. “Look Baekhyun, this might be the only way to have someone guarding our backs until we find our footing and if I am to speak honestly, I would do anything he asked me to, if that meant you would be safe.”

“And what if he does assign you a dangerous task? It could happen you know it; hell, you have done some before! What if you risk your life trying to protect mine? What if you end up injured? Or worse: dead? Then what, Kris? What do I do? How do I manage alone without my brother? I would be as good as dead and you know it!” argued Baekhyun, his pale completion beginning to turn red. “I’m sorry if I’m being selfish but I want you safe too!”

“I am trying to find other solutions Baekhyun but I am running of ideas and getting frankly desperate.” replied Kris, throwing his arms in the air, frustrated. “I don’t know what to do anymore!”

“We’ll find a way. We always do. Just tell Oh that you are not interested in his proposal and be done with him.” advised the smaller male coming near Kris to hug him and comfort him, feeling guilty at seeing how distressed the other male looked.

“I can’t do that.” said Kris, arms wrapping around his brother’s smaller form and drawing comfort in the person who had always loved him unconditionally throughout the year and never once disappointed him.

“And why is that?”

“Because, whether you like it or not, he is still an ally and I need to be on his good side; I don’t want problems arising from another front, especially if it’s Sehun we are talking about.”

“But you will talk to him, right?”

“Yes. I’ll tell him that right now I am more focused on taking care of you.”

“Good!”

“But” started Kris, a hand grabbing Baekhyun’s chin gently to make the younger male look at him “if, for some reason something happens to you again, I will accept his proposal.”

“But…”

“Take it or leave it Baek. I’ll leave it for now because you’re safe but any indication of contrary I will be joining forces with Sehun.”

“Fine!” replied the younger man with a little pout on his lips that made Kris laugh while he picked his brother up, much to the other’s irritation, swinging him around.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Luhan didn’t work, he didn’t have a reason to and Sehun preferred it like that; if there was something that he had in common with Kris was the great necessity to see his brother safe at all times, even if his brother could take care of himself. Naturally, he had a lot of free time and sometimes, like today, he liked to meet Sehun had Oh Corporations and take his younger brother out for lunch.

He entered the building, greeting the workers as he passed by them, and went to the seventh floor, where his brother’s office was located at. As soon as he left the elevator, Luhan was met with Kyungsoo’s bored face. He didn’t quite understand why until he heard Sehun’s voice, abnormally loud, speaking with someone. He threw Kyungsoo a confused look.

“Wu called.”

And that was the only clarification that Luhan needed. He shared knowing look with Kyungsoo before entering his brother’s office without bothering to knock on the door. He had been lucky to get inside the room as soon as Sehun finished talking with Kris on the phone, getting the opportunity to watch his brother hurl his cellphone across the room, completely shattering the device as it hit the wall with too much force. Luckily, it was the office cellphone and not Sehun’s phone.

His brother’s features were contorted in anger and he looked quite the psychopath, if Luhan had to be frank. He closed the door behind him, approaching the taller man and let a small hand rest on the other’s tense shoulder.

“What happened?” he asked in a soft voice.

“Kris just called me.” replied Sehun barely getting the words out through his gritted teeth. “He refused my offer, for the time being, because his brother is not comfortable with the idea and Kris, being the good big brother he is, doesn’t want to concern him by doing so.”

“So Kris is being difficult…”

“Yes!”

“I thought he’d be an easy one to crack, especially considering that his brother might be in danger but I think I underestimated the influence of said brother in Kris’ decisions.”

“I should just kill him.” gritted Sehun while Luhan shot him an unimpressed look.

“Do that and you lose Kris. Do you really think that Kris will help you if you kill his brother? He lives for him; you told me that taking care of Byun was always a constant in Kris’ life, take away that constant and you have got an unstable man on your hands. That was a really dumb comment.” stated the smaller man bopping Sehun fondly on the forehead, enjoying the disgruntled face that met him afterwards. “Even for you! Although I am curious as to why you are so intent on making Kris a part of our team. I mean, there are many, many people who can do the exact same things as he does. He is replaceable you know.”

“Luhan, if there anyone who can bring us down, it would be Kris. He and I worked together when we were younger and he knows me well enough to know how I operate. He is a liability and if someone else catches him before we do, we could be in serious trouble and that is something I want to avoid. I know that we are not as active as we were before, especially me, since I have been taking care of bureaucratic issues of this company more than I’ve done anything else but we can afford that, we have a high reputation and we will have no qualms into silencing protesting voices if it comes to that. And that is how I want things to stay.”

“It is good reasoning.” mumbled the older of the two sitting on top of the desk, his favorite spot on the entire office. “But if you really want Kris that much, you have got to be smart. Byun is anything but stupid. I spoke very little to him but I can tell that is very perceptive and intelligent. If we want to get to Kris, we have to pass through him and maybe, just maybe, we can do that if we use Kris against Byun. It’s clear that he is as protective of Kris as Kris is protective of him, so if we convince him that accepting your offer is the way to keep Kris safe as well, then he can persuade Kris to accept it. And if that not works, we can give them a little push in the right direction.”

Sehun contemplated his brother’s words carefully, his eyes resting on the other’s pretty face. His brother’s analyzing skills were exceptional and he made an excellent point with what he had said; maybe Sehun’s tactic had been wrong, he should’ve convinced Kris’ younger brother first to get to the tall man.

“Yes. I do think you are right.” he mused, satisfied at the prospect of having his plans back on track.

“I can have Chanyeol hacking into the Hospital’s database and check out the nurses schedules, so we’ll know when it is best to talk to him.”

“That would be good actually. Do that as soon as you can, the sooner I talk to Byun, the better.”

“Oh but you won’t be talking to him.” cut Luhan looking at Sehun as if he was crazy. “I won’t let you. We need someone with more tact than you have, a lot more in fact. It would actually help if it was someone who didn’t dislike the kid as much as you do.”

“I don’t dislike him!”

“Yes, you do.” stated Luhan. “Especially after he owned you, three days ago, in your own house, dressed in your clothes, at the bottom of your staircase.” 

Sehun said nothing but he jabbed a finger in between Luhan’s ribs, making the older man squirm indignantly and let a high pitched sound tumble from his lips.

“You’ll do it?” asked the taller.

“Sure. In fact, I’ll do it now before you blow a fuse again and decide to throw your laptop at the wall. Kyungsoo will kill you if you do that.” replied Luhan happily before jumping out of the desk “Now let’s eat lunch, we need it.”


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun was happily walking to the hospital. He had a shift that started in the afternoon and after having the previous day off, he felt like his energy had been replenished, which made him a lot more willing to work. Don’t get him wrong, he loves his job; however the altering shifts and sometimes the really hectic day, when a lot of people came to the ER, made him tired.

Plus, much to his joy, he hadn’t heard anything about Oh Sehun in almost a week and he was thrilled with that fact. Baekhyun was anything but stupid, he knew who the man was and what he do, legal and not so legal activities, and he certainly didn’t’ want such man crossing his and Kris’ lives. Kris had been away from any crime related activity for so long and Baekhyun was going to fight tooth and nail for things to stay like that.

After his attack, things had remained pacific and quite, the only indication of an altercation being the bruise that the nurse still sported on the side of his face; he had been on the end of a serious inquisition by his colleagues when he came into work like that but he had brushed them off with a half-truth, pegging the bruise at the result of being robbed, no one asked anymore questions and Baekhyun had been truly satisfied.

He had, yet again, to walk to work because Kris had taken the car to a job interview and Baekhyun refused the other’s offer to take him to work, since he didn’t want the older to be late; this was an opportunity for things to get back on track.

The petite nurse rounded the corner of the street, a small smile playing at the corner of his lips at the sight of the hospital; he only needed to cross the street and he would arrive at his workplace. However, a smooth voice cut through the air, interrupting his happy thought trail.

“Good afternoon Mr. Byun. How are you today?”

Baekhyun looked at the blond in front of him. Incredibly beautiful and dressed like a runaway model, Luhan was definitely a sight for sore eyes. When Baekhyun failed to say a thing, Luhan chose to continue.

“I hope you do. And I hope you can spare me a couple of minutes before going inside.” he said, head pointing to the other side of the road.

“No can do.” replied the nurse “My shift is going to about to start and I don’t like to be late for work.”

“I can guarantee you; it will only take five minutes.”

Baekhyun looked at the blond man in front of him and he wanted so badly to flip the other man and just go on with life but Luhan had been nice to him the other day and he felt he owned the other man so, in the end, he nodded, making Luhan smile at him gratefully.

“I am very well aware that you are not happy to see me, especially being related to who I am.” stated the older male. “Regardless, I think you are not seeing the full picture here.”

“Which is?”

“I am aware that when Sehun talked to Kris, he might’ve been under the impression that the protection would only be extended to you but it doesn’t. It’s a two way thing, from the moment he accepts the proposal, he will also receive protection from our part. I am not going to lie, Kris will be sent to do some missions but without backup. Kris told Sehun about your situation and he told me, we don’t have secrets between us, and if this is in fact Jia trying to find you, you both are in serious trouble. We can help you.” when Luhan saw that Baekhyun was going to say something, he lifted his hand up, effectively making the other man stop. “I want you to think about it. Think about the offer we have for you both. Discuss it with Kris and then give us an answer. After all I don’t want you to be late for work.”

Luhan gave him a dazzling smile before his eyes turned hard and he pulled Baekhyun towards himself.

“Something’s not right.” mumbled the taller male.

“What are you talking about?” asked Baekhyun confused by the sudden change in the other’s behavior.

“See those men?” asked Luhan in a whisper, holding Baekhyun’s body close to him, pointing to three men, dressed in black with snapbacks and surgical masks covering their faces, inside of a car “They are behaving suspiciously.”

The taller blond could see, even from the distance that the men were looking at the entrance of the hospital constantly, looking at something on their wrist. They didn’t even stand there for long, driving away at full speed a few seconds after.

“You’re paranoid.” commented Baekhyun, gently removing Luhan’s grip on him and started walking. “And I’m late.”

“I’m serious Byun.” warned Luhan trying to grab the other man, face serious, trailing after the shorter man, who refused to listen to him.

“It’s probably nothing. Just some guys randomly…”

However, Baekhyun didn’t had the time to finish his sentence, a really, incredibly noise was heard, muting all sounds to Baekhyun as he fell to his knees, Luhan falling right on top of him. Then everything turned black.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Hello everyone! Here is another chapter. It's a bit of a filler, leading towards what happened at the end of the chapter, but still there is some important things in it! Did you like it? I hope you did! ! Let me know how you feel about it: comment, upvote and subscribe.

ALSO, I want to inform all of you I will be on vacations for a week, starting tomorrow. I'll be leaving on the 21st and returning on the 28th. During that time I will not be able to update this story. However, I promise that, as soon as I return, I will be posting the next chapter (it's already been written!). So don't go anywhere! You can check my other stories in the mean time, if you haven't, maybe you'll like them!

Have a great, amazing, wonderful day! BE HAPPY!
Lots of love <3