Chapter 2

Blank

Jungkook wouldn't really like to admit that he waited all day to leave for the coffee shop, but he did. He laid in bed and watched the clock, and ended up walking out the door at 2:45, wearing a plain, white t-shirt, and black, skin tight jeans.

 

He had wore the clothes to bed, if he was being honest, but he'd anxiously spritzed some cologne on before he left, almost dropping the small silvery container in the process. His walk once on the street was even more hurried than usual, and he couldn't for the life of him figure out why. But his legs continued to betray him, walking at a pace that was almost alarming to people that passed him.

 

He all but bursted through the doors at the small place at 2:50, and he received more annoyed stares than he would have preferred, but he pressed on, rotating the direction he was facing to his usual table. He was expecting it to be empty, so his breath caught in his throat when he saw Taehyung sitting there, staring with eyelids slightly raised.

 

Looks like they'd both arrived early.

 

Jungkook stumbled over to the table, still trying to calm his frazzled mind. He slowly, somewhat cautiously lowered himself into the seat. However, when he looked over at the man in front of him, he felt a spark of enthusiasm in his heart; something he hadn't felt in a long, long time.

 

"Hey," Taehyung greeted him, seeming more cheery and bouncy than the day before. Jungkook raised the ends of his lips up into the best smile he could muster, replying, "Hi."

 

Taehyung sat up in his seat, leaning forward over the table and a bit closer to Jungkook. "So I was thinking maybe we could go out and do something fun today," Taehyung offered brightly, though Jungkook barely heard, too fixed on their proximity.

 

"S-Sure," he stuttered. They stared at each other, caught in a moment of awkward silence. Taehyung, of course, broke it. "What do you want to do?" he asked sweetly.

 

Jungkook thought for a moment. What was there to do? The way that normal people "hung out" fascinated him; he really had no skill and barely any experience in the area.

 

He ended up settling for an answer even he knew. "Uh...whatever you want to do!" he squeaked. A thoughtful expression swept across Taehyung's face.

 

"Well, we could go see a movie. How does that sound?" Taehyung offered. Jungkook processed the thought for a moment. He was somewhat torn; part of him wanted to get better at speaking in a friendly, informal way, and Taehyung seemed like the perfect person to help him practice, but the other part of him was a bit scared to try. Plus, when was the last time he'd gone to see a movie? It had been so long, and he decided that he really did miss it. "Sure," he responded shyly, nodding subconsciously.

 

Taehyung lifted himself onto his feet, and Jungkook copied the action with a bit of a jump. They walked out of the coffee shop together, Taehyung at a pace more leisurely than Jungkook was used to. Once they were out, Jungkook just followed the leader; in all honesty, he didn't actually know where the movie theatre was, and he was definitely not going to pretend to. He slowed down, taking casual strides unlike his usual panicked gait so he would stay behind Taehyung.

 

He still couldn't believe he was doing this. He couldn't believe he was in the process of actually making a friend. When it came down to it, he was a little bit scared. With attachments often came loss, and hurting; even he knew this. But though it was hard for him to register, he was a human too, and humans needed love. That was the one thing he knew for sure about humans.

 

And so he walked, with cheerful, friendly Taehyung walking with him, and for some odd reason, for the first time in what felt like an eternity, a wide, genuine smile spread across his face, his gaze bashfully settled on the sidewalk.

 

When they reached the theatre, he felt a wave of his childishness sweep through him; he remembered movie theatres, the wonderful smells wafting off of things that his mother couldn't afford to buy, and the chattering of excited people when something new had been released.

 

"Is there anything you have in mind?" Taehyung asked him as they moved up in the line, and Jungkook had a mini crisis dancing in the front of his brain because he had no idea. Taehyung just giggled slightly. "How does...Jurassic World sound?" he asked as his quirky, shy companion continued to draw a complete blank.

 

Jungkook nodded quickly. Why did he feel so nervous? Granted, it's been years since he's had a friendly, non-professional conversation with someone, but it didn't seem to him like it should affect him this much. He sighed, frustrated with himself.

 

Taehyung must have noticed, too; after he bought them both tickets and they moved into the area where all of the popcorn was, he stopped them, placing a hand on Jungkook's shoulder. "Hey, you don't have to do this with me if you don't want to," he whispered gently. "I understand if you don't want to get closer to me."

 

But Jungkook shook his head. He was determined to get better at this informality; he wouldn't be a pathetic, shy little kid forever.

 

"I do want to get closer to you! I...I'd like to be friends, Taehyung," he stated boldly, and the sunshine spread back over the older man's face.

 

"There you go!" he exclaimed excitedly, ruffling Jungkook's fluffy hair. "One step at a time."

 

---

 

A/N

Soooooooo how is it so far? I know it's a little boring at the moment, but hopefully I can make it better. Do tell me what you think - I love hearing what you have to say. c: See you soon!