Chapter 5

Blank

 

Finally, a month or so later, a perfect, sunny day rolled around, breaking through the constant clouds hanging over the city. Cooler weather was starting to grasp the air, and the breezes that drifted through gradually began to carry the feeling of autumn. It was a beautiful Monday, and Jungkook was finishing a sketch when he glanced at the clock. His eyes widened, and his slouch left quickly as he realized it was 3:00.

 

He dashed to his dresser, pulling on ripped jeans and a large, gray fluffy sweatshirt with sleeves that covered his small hands. He didn't bother fixing his messy hair, just pulled on his converse and ran to the door. After ripping it open, then slamming it back shut, he tore down the hallway, diving into the elevator when it conveniently opened almost as soon as he reached it. He scared the living daylights out of the skinny brunette man standing there, waiting to get out, but he couldn't bring himself to care. The stranger giggled quietly before stepping out, giving him a small wave and chiming, "I hope you get there on time," with a bright smile.

 

Jungkook nervously smiled back at the cute gesture, given to him by the tall stranger with big lips and a kind voice. "Thanks," he responded exasperatedly as the doors were shutting. He wished it would move down faster. He hated being late; it put in irritated, itching feeling under his skin. It also really surprised him that he wasn't paying enough attention when he really liked going to see Taehyung, yet he was always punctual at events he had to attend as an artist that he honestly couldn't care less about.

 

Once he was out of the building, he all but ran down the street, and after what felt like far longer than it actually was, he stumbled in through the shop doors. It was 3:10 now. He speed walked to the table, and plopped himself down in his chair. "Hey, sorry Taehyung, I-"

 

He stopped, his current situation finally processing as he took in the little scene in front of him. Taehyung had his face buried in his arms, and was almost completely still.

 

Was he...asleep? Jungkook reached out hesitantly, gently shaking his shoulder. "Taehyung," he murmured. No additional movement, just the soft, steady breathing. So he was asleep. Jungkook quirked his eyebrows. He tried shaking him again, just a little harder this time, and in a slightly higher volume than before, he repeated, "Taehyung."

 

This time, Taehyung's head rose slowly out of his arms, his eyes tired and lips pushed forward in a groggy pout. He sat up when he realized what had just happened, trying to blink away the sleep. "Oh...I fell asleep," he giggled softly, rubbing his eyes like a child.

 

"Tired?" Jungkook asked, grinning at his cute, quirky friend. Taehyung nodded. "I've been up even later than usual, and like I said before, that's saying something," he told him, words somewhat slurred.

 

A certain guilt started to well up in Jungkook. "Is that because of me?" he asked quietly, eye contact breaking as his gaze drifted down to the tabletop. They always spent a lot of time together, which he now realized most likely resulted in Taehyung having to do his work later instead.

 

"Don't say that," he cooed. "You have nothing to feel bad about." Jungkook shook his head, squirming in his seat. He knew that Taehyung was only trying to be kind. "I know that part of it is my fault," he insisted.

 

It was silent for a moment, and there was no eye contact. "Okay, how about this. Yes, sometimes the time we spend together means I have to work later, but you're important to me, so I don't care," he told him, voice adamant.

 

He finally looked him in the eyes, and the other's lips quirked pointedly. "Thanks," he said honestly. Half of him liked hearing that, but the other half felt like even more of a burden. He just pretended he was completely happy with it, and changed the subject.

 

"Well, if you're really tired, we don't have to do a whole lot," he commented. Taehyung thought for a moment. "It's such a nice day though," he mused, sitting up a little bit. "We could just take a walk. If that's okay with you, of course."

 

Jungkook nodded enthusiastically; he honestly really liked just talking, not doing very much specifically. Taehyung pushed himself up off the table and onto his feet, eyes relaxed on the bright, windy day outside. Jungkook took a look back at him for the approval to go, and Taehyung stretched the way Jungkook thought a puppy might.

 

"Alright," he hummed, once his arms returned to his sides, and they both padded out. Taehyung sighed in satisfaction as the cool air hit him; this was his favorite kind of weather, and being out in it always soothed him.

 

They walked in silence for a bit, the soft breeze caressing their cheeks. Jungkook began to kick a pebble, and somewhere along the way Taehyung had joined in, and they passed it back and forth with grins on their lips. It became playful, and they were walking faster just for this little rock, running forward to kick it even farther from the other without caring about looking odd. Eventually, Jungkook kicked it a little too hard, and it bounced off into the street.

 

They watched it go out of their reach, and Taehyung felt silly at the puddle of disappointment he felt. After a moment, they made eye contact, and couldn't stop the wide grin that spread across their faces, laughing at their own childishness.

 

This is how Taehyung loved to be; carefree, playful, and quite frankly, immature. It was just such a relief. There was happy, comfortable silence for a bit longer before Jungkook spoke. "So, how's school going?" he asked. Taehyung really hadn't vocalized specifically that he was a teacher, but anyone could have figured it out by now.

 

"Oh, pretty good. You wouldn't believe some of the stuff the kids in my class do, though. I've got a weird bunch. The other day, I had to tell this boy five times to stop chewing on his friend's arm," he recalled, almost rolling his eyes at the memory.

 

"Really?" Jungkook asked incredulously, his grin deepening. Taehyung nodded, looking over at him. "What else have they done?" Jungkook asked in disbelieving curiosity.

 

"Well, one of my favorite stories..." Taehyung breaks off the sentence, chuckling and looking wistfully off to somewhere along the horizon.

 

"There was a very quiet girl in our class that year. I swear, the first half of the year, I'd bet anything she said a total of five words or less. Anyways, it was the second half of the year then. We had a couple of minutes left in class, and I was chatting with them about something to do with the bullying going on at the school. I said something along the lines of, 'So whether you're popular like Glinda or have a long way to go like Elphaba, we should all treat each other with respect,' and suddenly she just burst into Popular from Wicked. It shocked me so much that it took me a minute to join in with her, but eventually I did and so did the other musical theatre enthusiasts in the room. It was quite the scene," Taehyung explained, a huge goofy smile spreading out into his cheeks.

 

Jungkook laughed, imagining the scene in his head. He couldn't imagine things like that happening to him all the time. "It must be fun, being a teacher," he commented lightly. His friend looked back over at him, putting his hands in his pockets.

 

"I mean, sometimes it's a pain. But a lot of the time, it's nice. I've always loved kids," he gushed. Jungkook just nodded in response. He'd had so much trouble as a kid.

 

There was silence for the most part from that point. There was one word spoken: a quiet, nervous "Sorry," from Jungkook when their hands brushed. The younger convinced himself that his shiver was caused by the chilly wind, not the brief contact of the other's slender, perfect fingers. Taehyung just laughed softly at the his endearing apprehension.

 

Eventually, the older signaled without words that they should head back to the shop, turning around with Jungkook in tow.

 

After a while, they'd returned to the front of the small building again. "Well, I should probably get back," Taehyung informed him, running  a hand through his chocolate colored hair.

 

"Okay," Jungkook mumbled sadly. "Good luck with work," he added. Taehyung was about to turn and leave, but he stopped in his tracks. He walked towards Jungkook slowly, and the younger of the two felt an intense blush fill his cheeks when the elder's arms wrapped around him. "Hey, I just want to thank you for being so caring and understanding with me. It means a lot," he murmured graciously.

 

Jungkook raised his arms to shyly return the hug. "I'm...I...thank you," he spluttered, suddenly bashful. When was the last time he'd hugged someone? Usually, he didn't really like it, but this time, he found himself loving the warmth, sighing in soft bliss, and burying his head into Taehyung's shoulder.

 

When they finally pulled apart, Taehyung smiled at him. "See you tomorrow," he said, stepping back. He started to turn around, but Jungkook stopped him. "Wait, Taehyung," he blurted out. He turned back to face him, curiosity in his expression.

 

"Try to get some sleep tonight."

 

---

Hello!! So, long chapter this time ^-^ Idk, I don't feel super confident in this chapter. I feel like it's boring. I hope you disagree; I'd hate to dissapoint. See you soon! c: