Chapter 1

Blank

Jungkook always liked the scent of vinegar. A sour kind of sweet, but for some people it's overpowering. Perhaps he liked it because it reminded him of himself. He had always had a feeling he had some sort of mental disorder, but he had never actually tried to confirm it.

 

Despite his struggling with understanding and relating to people, he was still a very respected person. The reason being that he was a brilliant artist.

 

He was quite famous actually, and made enough to live in a beautiful condo in the city. Not many people knew his face, but many certainly knew his work.

 

Jeon Jungkook. They knew his name, but they did not know him.

 

On a particular Monday afternoon, he felt like escaping the silence of his bedroom. He had made his way to a coffee shop near his home that he visited semi-regularly, mainly caught in a lack of anything else to do.

 

He sat next to the window, staring out at the beautiful day with content eyes. Sitting alone felt so familiar to him, and he was satisfied with the warm drink in his hand despite it being the middle of summer.

 

Which is why he was so thrown off when someone sat down in the seat across from him.

 

His head snapped to face the man, his eyes filled with shock. He had dark brown hair that flopped over his forehead in endearing half-curls, and his eyes were calm, matching nicely with his relaxed smile.

 

"Hi," he offered quietly. Jungkook gave him a confused stare. "I thought you looked kinda lonely," the man told him.

 

His eyes turned back to the window. "Oh?" was all he said.

 

The man nodded. They sat without speaking for a couple moments. Jungkook tapped his fingers on the table, feeling unsure about having a conversation with the stranger.

 

It was a few moments more before the curly haired man spoke again. "I'm Kim Taehyung," he told Jungkook, eyes brightening.

 

Jungkook knew what came next, but couldn't find it in himself to say it. His hands started to shake, and he mentally cursed himself for being so damn incapable of being a normal, functional human being.

 

But when he looked at Taehyung, there wasn't even the tiniest bit of the ridicule Jungkook was expecting settled there.

 

This was new. "So, what do you like to do?" Taehyung asked him. He opened his mouth clumsily, preparing himself to actually answer him this time.

 

"I'm an artist," he choked out. Taehyung seemed to sit up a little, a spark of enthusiasm lighting up in his pupils. "Oh really? I'm really into art, but I've never been able to do it myself," he admits.

 

Jungkook finally manages a smile. Taehyung was completely harmless, and he felt a touch of a nostalgic feeling in his chest. Trust. That oh-so-rare feeling in his world, warm and comforting, but sometimes dangerous, he let it in without even thinking about it.

 

"I...I'm Jungkook by the way," he told him.

 

Taehyung froze. "Jeon Jungkook?" Jungkook nodded slowly, and there was a certain intensity that seemed to settle into the air between them.

 

"I've looked up to you for two years now," Taehyung forced out, his entire body stiffening and eyes wide. "Every single piece you've done is amazing."

 

"Th-thank you, but I don't think..." Jungkook could not seem find a proper response in his very limited repertoire, and so he just shut his mouth again. Suddenly, the blinding light that had burst out in Taehyung's pupils calmed itself, lowering into a tranquil dimness again.

 

"Don't doubt yourself. There are a lot of people who look up to you," Taehyung murmured. "Including me," he added, winking subtly. Jungkook felt embarrassment collect itself in his cheeks; he simply didn't know at all what to say.

 

"So what are you doing here today?" Taehyung asked him. Jungkook took a deep breath. "It's too quiet in my condo," he replied quietly. There was strange sort of loneliness Taehyung noticed, that seemed to be pushing down on him as if the air above him was heavier than that of the people surrounding him.

 

"Do you have many friends?" Taehyung asked with a certain gentle tone. Jungkook shook his head, eyes locked out of nervousness on a young woman at the other side of the little shop. She noticed his stare, obviously able to catch his attractiveness from where she sat. It became obvious to Jungkook that unlike him, she was not shy at all. She winked at him playfully, despite the sharp looking man sitting across from her.

 

Jungkook jerked his head back to Taehyung, only then realizing that he'd said something. "What?" he spluttered out. Taehyung couldn't help but smile; if he was being honest, and he couldn't get over the fact that the person he'd idolized for so long was this timid, young person in front of him. Somehow, he liked it.

 

"I asked if it was okay if I had your phone number," Taehyung informed him. Jungkook squirmed in his seat. "Well...you see...I don't have a phone."

 

Taehyung shook his head apologetically. "It's okay. Are you busy this time tomorrow?" he asked calmly. The answer to that question was easy; of course not. The real question in Jungkook's head was: did he really want to get involved with investing his time and emotions in a person again? The last time he had tried, things hadn't gone so well. But eventually, Taehyung's kind expression got to him, and he answered, "No." The ends of Taehyung's lips curled into a smile. "Want to meet me here at three?"

 

And before Jungkook knew what he was doing, he had replied with a shy, "Okay."

 

---

So how is this so far? Honestly, I think I like how this chapter turned out. Tell me what you think in the comments! ^.^ See you soon!