Let's Make It Forever

Scandal of the Century
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1] Let's Make It Forever [/CONTENTID1]

[CONTENTID2]

Jongdae’s mother was the sweetest woman.  You could ask anyone in the neighborhood; they’ll all say the same.  She would always lend her cooking skills to the other families, often holding parties out of her own home.  Jongdae’s earliest memories were of her in the kitchen with a smile on her face.

 

He was eating the omelette she had made him, cooked perfectly over a warm bed of rice.  The taste was enough to make him happy for the rest of his life, even when his world seemed to be falling down around him.

 

“Why the long face, dear?” his mother asked.  “You know it will taste better when you smile.”

 

“Sorry, Mom,” Jongdae said with a heavy sigh.  “I guess work is getting the best of me.”

 

She smiled and reached over to cup his cheek.  “I’m sure you’ll be fine, Jongdae.  You always seem to solve problems even when all hope is lost,” she laughed.  “Remember how you lost your whistle, and how you learned how to blow through blades of grass to make the same sound?”

 

“But I never found my whistle,” Jongdae pointed out.

 

“You didn’t need to,” his mother said.  “You’ll always lose things in life, love, and at the same time, you will always have to solve those problems.”

 

Jongdae nodded and took another bite.  “Mom…”

 

“Yes, dear?”

 

“Let’s say you love someone so much, that even if they hurt you alot, you still love them.  Would you ever go back to them after what they did, even though you might get hurt again?”

 

His mother grasped his hand.  “Jongdae, love isn’t conditional,” she said gently.  “You will always run into roadblocks and harsh situations.  When you really love someone, and when they really love you back, you’ll be willing to accept them no matter the circumstance.  It’s about the journey you take with your partner, not what you get out of the relationship.”  She grinned.  “That’s why I’m still with your father.”

 

He laughed and ate the rest of his meal in silence, his mother watching him fondly.

 

--

 

Baekhyun got off the bus and looked around.  He exhaled nervously.  Well, you’re not in Kansas anymore, Dorothy.  It wasn’t the rural countryside, but the air was definitely different than Seoul.  He shook his head.  

 

Time to find Jongdae.

 

He glanced down at the message his manager sent him.  It wasn’t hard to bribe him for Jongdae’s address, as the manager was a simple man who valued good food and good women.  

 

He began to walk up a steep street, apartment buildings lining both sides.  He could see people coming in and out of their homes, none of which recognized him.  He smiled under his face mask as he kept walking.  The feeling that no one knew him was foreign though refreshing.

 

Eventually, the apartment buildings turned into houses, and Baekhyun’s heart skipped a beat as he came towards Jongdae’s house.  

 

It wasn’t the largest house ever, but it wasn’t the smallest.  It looked warm and hospitable.  Baekhyun could see Jongdae’s mother moving in and out of the kitchen.

 

With a deep breath, he walked up and knocked on the door.

 

The door opened, revealing Jongdae’s mother.  She had a sweet, young face, though the wrinkles around her eyes suggested otherwise.  

 

“Oh, hello, Baekhyun!” she exclaimed with a smile.  “What brings you here all the way from Seoul?”

 

He smiled and bowed.  “Hello, Mrs. Kim,” he greeted.  Then his mouth went dry.  “I…uh…”

 

I’m here to apologize to your son for being a -and-a-half about our recently broken relationship, and I’m here to try and mend it even though I know for a straight fact that it might not be possible given the circumstances.

 

“Just because, Mrs. Kim,” Baekhyun found himself answering.

 

“Mom?  Who is that?”

 

Baekhyun froze at the sound of Jongdae’s voice.

 

“Oh, it’s Baekhyun, dear,” his mother called behind her shoulder.  She turned back around and nodded at him to come in.  “Come in, sweetheart.  You’ll catch a cold.  I’ll go make some tea.”  Then, she made her way to the kitchen.

 

Baekhyun found himself entering at her command, and immediately stopped as his eyes met Jongdae’s.

 

“Hey,” Jongdae said, his lips pursed.

 

Baekhyun coughed.  “Hey…”

 

Jongdae crossed his arms over his chest.  “What the hell are you doing here?  I thought I told you I never want to see your dirty, handsome, disgusting face again.”

 

“I’m here to apologize.”

 

“Oh, so now you realize it,” Jongdae said, rolling his eyes.  “You finally realized how much of a dickwad you were, huh?”

 

Baekhyun’s eyes watered.  “J-Jongdae, I…I’m sorry.  I’m really sorry,” he stammered.  He looked away.  

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter